PDA

View Full Version : Woodley expects to play vs. Ravens

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-31-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 64717.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_764717.html)

The left hamstring injury that forced LaMarr Woodley from the Steelers' 25-17 win over New England on Sunday won't keep him from playing next week when Baltimore visits Heinz Field.

That's what the outside linebacker said after he recorded his eighth and ninth sacks of the season.

"I'll be in there," he said. "I have a week (to heal)."

Woodley said he didn't tear his hamstring, which he hurt in the third quarter while rushing New England quarterback Tom Brady.

>> Injuries continue to mount on defense, but the Steelers avoided a major one after cornerback Ike Taylor went down in the third quarter and stayed down as medical personnel attended to him. Taylor left the field under his own power and later returned to the game despite shoulder and neck injuries.

"I'm straight," he said.

Cornerback Keenan Lewis suffered a shoulder injury, but he also returned. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert was in and out of the game after hurting an ankle.

>> Ben Roethlisberger was sacked five times, but that might be one of the most misleading statistics from the game. The Steelers' offensive line controlled New England up front, allowing Roethlisberger to complete 36 of 50 passes for 365 yards and for the Steelers to average 4.3 yards per carry.

"Boy, they really did a nice job," coach Mike Tomlin said. "It was just a nice, good unit effort."

>> Roethlisberger won his 75th career game and is the fourth-fastest quarterback in NFL history to reach that mark. The only ones to reach the milestone in fewer than his 106 games were Tom Brady and Roger Staubach (99 each) and Kenny Stabler (105).

>> Wide receiver Hines Ward (ankle) and inside linebacker James Farrior (calf) did not play. Outside linebackers James Harrison (eye) and Jason Worilds (quad) and nose tackle Chris Hoke (neck) also didn't suit up. Quarterback Dennis Dixon was the only healthy scratch.

>> The safety that the Steelers recorded on the game's penultimate play gave them safeties in consecutive games for the first time in franchise history.

>> Former Steelers Donnie Shell and John Jackson were honorary captains, as they took part in Alumni Day festivities. Others honored at halftime included Jason Gildon, Louis Lipps, Bubby Brister and Robin Cole.

>> Brady is used to having his way with the Steelers, but the New England quarterback had his worst statistical performance of the season (198 yards) Sunday. He attributed that to seeing more man-to-man defense from the Steelers.

Typically a zone team, the Steelers played almost exclusively tight man coverage throughout the game.

"They played more man than what they showed all year," Brady said. "The way you beat man is you make plays against it and get them out of it. We didn't do enough of that."

Brady's longest pass was 23 yards to Rob Gronkowski, and Wes Welker was held to 39 yards receiving. He entered the game averaging 124 yards.

"They had some blitz zone mixed in there," Welker said. "They did a good job all the way around. We have to be better than what we were."

The Steelers turned up the pressure on Brady, blitzing him 20 of the 37 times he dropped back to pass.

"It is a lot of pressure, and you have to stand up to the pressure and complete tight throws, and we just didn't do it," Brady said. Last year, the Steelers blitzed Brady just seven times in a 39-26 loss.

>> With the Patriots trailing 23-10 with 4:15 left, it appeared that Brady connected with Gronkowski for a touchdown. However, the ball was spotted at the 1-yard line, even though replays showed Gronkowski had scored. New England didn't challenge.

"I thought about it, but there was no evidence to challenge it," coach Bill Belichick said.

It took the Pats three plays and nearly two minutes longer to score.

"I wish they would've reviewed it, but they didn't," Brady said.

>> The Patriots' offense had almost 30 fewer plays than the Steelers', mostly because the Steelers had five scoring drives of 10 plays or longer, including an 11-play drive to start the game. Brady didn't blame the defense for its inability to get off the field.

"We had an opportunity to answer their first score, and we go three-and-out," Brady said. "There were too many three-and-outs."

>> WR Julian Edelman, QB Ryan Mallett, S Josh Barnett, RB Shane Vereen, LB Dane Fletcher, OL Donald Thomas and LB Jermaine Cunningham were inactive for the Patriots.

Inside the lines

>> The Patriots were unusually inefficient and flustered on offense, partly because the Steelers effectively disguised their coverage schemes. Quarterback Tom Brady, feeling the heat from Woodley, was forced to hold the ball longer than usual because defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau deployed six defensive backs William Gay, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy and Keenan Lewis. Polamalu tucked in behind the linebackers before peeling back in coverage.

"We used our dime package because those guys can score at will," Lewis said. "We definitely knew we could guard those guys. I feel we have the best receiving corps in the league, and practicing against those guys prepared us for this game."

>> The Patriots spent the first quarter trying to figure out a way to deny tight end Heath Miller, who caught six of the eight passes thrown his way in the first half. New England's linebackers were forced into man coverage. When they countered with a zone, Miller ran straight up the zone to free up the wide receivers on underneath routes. Finally, the Patriots make the right move, as linebacker Gary Guyton policed the middle of the field to take away the short route. Roethlisberger made his first mistake, as he tried to force a pass to Emmanuel Sanders, and Guyton picked off the errant pass to set up Brady's 2-yard touchdown pass to Deion Branch to make it 10-7.

>> The Patriots struggled to get into their offense, mostly because the Steelers dominated time of possession. More importantly, tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Gronkowski were virtually shut down in the first half. They combined for only three catches. The Steelers made the Patriots' vaunted tight end tandem look rather ordinary, mostly because cornerbacks Taylor and Gay handcuffed receivers Branch and Wes Welker, who had a combined 10 receptions - all but six in the second half. Gronkowski didn't get his first catch until 2:25 remained in the first half.

The Patriots used 6-foot-8, 319-pound rookie offensive tackle Nate Solder as an eligible receiver on five occasions, primarily as added protection for Brady.

Read more: Steelers' Woodley: Hamstring not problem - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1cODHhaF5 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_764717.html#ixzz1cODHhaF5)

RuthlessBurgher
10-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Former Steelers Donnie Shell and John Jackson were honorary captains, as they took part in Alumni Day festivities. Others honored at halftime included Jason Gildon, Louis Lipps, Bubby Brister and Robin Cole.

Gildon wasn't there, but the others were. Plus some more guys like Tunch, Wolf, Dwayne Woodruff, Brian Blankenship, Keith Gary, Warren Williams, etc. Even a few former assistant coaches as well.

fezziwig
10-31-2011, 04:39 PM
heard on the radio that Woodley will miss at least the ravens game.

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Steelers LB Woodley 'game-time' call vs. Ravens

Updated November 3, 2011

PITTSBURGH (AP) Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley remained limited in practice on Thursday and his status for Sunday's showdown with Baltimore is questionable.

Woodley, who is undergoing aggressive treatment for his strained hamstring said he'll be a "game-time decision."

Woodley injured the hamstring in the third quarter of last Sunday's 25-17 win over New England. He says he's taking it slow and hopes the late kickoff Sunday night will give him a little more time to heal.

The Steelers have not announced who will replace Woodley if he can't go, though rookie Chris Carter filled in against the Patriots.

Woodley turned 27 on Thursday and was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month after racking up 7 1/2 sacks in October, the second-highest total in one month in team history.

http://nationalpost.stats.com/fb/story. ... a&tm=&src= (http://nationalpost.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20111103162218914304708&ref=hea&tm=&src=)

fezziwig
11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
What do you guys know about Carter ?

focosteeler
11-03-2011, 11:28 PM

His first name is Chris and he is 6-1, 248 pounds....... thats all i got

hawaiiansteel
11-04-2011, 01:54 AM

very good information... :Clap

I also heard he plays outside linebacker and we drafted him in the 5th round out of Fresno St :D

on a slightly more serious note, this is the main concern with Chris Carter...if he's in the game, the Ravens and Ray Rice will run directly at him until we take Carter out of the game and try someone else.

skyhawk
11-04-2011, 02:38 AM

I also heard he plays outside linebacker and we drafted him in the 5th round out of Fresno St :D

on a slightly more serious note, this is the main concern with Chris Carter...if he's in the game, the Ravens and Ray Rice will run directly at him until we take Carter out of the game and try someone else.

Sweet sig Hawaiian. Steal.

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Sweet sig Hawaiian. Steal.

I love how, from that angle, it appears that Clark is roundhouse-kicking his own teammate in the chest while simultaneously administering the prototypical Welkering.

MaxAMillion
11-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Steelers will need to go to a 4-3 on early down. Carter can't hold up against the run. He can play the pass rush role but even then he is limited because he can only rush to the outside. Carter isn't strong enough to do a lot on a play to play basis.

The defense is really behind the 8 ball with all the injuries to the linebackers.

fezziwig
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Other than Woodley, is it age that is catching up with guys like Hoke, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior , Smith ?

I said it earlier this year or off season that Arron Smith needed to go. As an old timer myself I happen to know that, you just don't recover quickly once your injured and the injuries just seem to keep coming back.

Farrior is probably sitting that fence too with his age and carreer. Harrison, I don't think is the case and I'll cut Hoke some slack too because, he might be older but he doesn't have a lot of miles on him. The position Hampton plays ages guys quicker than most players in my opinion. Probably nose tackle and runningbacks get the worse of wear in the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Other than Woodley, is it age that is catching up with guys like Hoke, Hampton, Harrison, Farrior , Smith ?

I said it earlier this year or off season that Arron Smith needed to go. As an old timer myself I happen to know that, you just don't recover quickly once your injured and the injuries just seem to keep coming back.

Farrior is probably sitting that fence too with his age and carreer. Harrison, I don't think is the case and I'll cut Hoke some slack too because, he might be older but he doesn't have a lot of miles on him. The position Hampton plays ages guys quicker than most players in my opinion. Probably nose tackle and runningbacks get the worse of wear in the NFL.

Then again, there are several tubs of lard that seem to go on forever. Ted Washington played for 17 seasons. Sam Adams and Pat Williams played for 14 seasons each. Tony Siragusa played 12 seasons. Currently Casey Hampton (and his college teammate Shaun Rogers) are in their 11th season. The difference is that most of those guys had to bounce around the league to keep on playing. Casey spending 11 years only in the Burgh is like Gilbert Brown spending 10 seasons in Green Bay only (pretty rare).

Shoe
11-05-2011, 06:13 PM

This.
As someone who was excited to see Carter in the game and thus focused on him, it was apparent that, while he seems very quick off the ball, he was EASILY handled (pushed) around the pocket. As someone else mentioned, he is a one-trick pony at this point. And when it comes time to run the ball, you best believe they run right at him (as opposed to away from him, where he can conceivably chase the play down with speed).

Can't play him in this game.

Pahn711
11-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Steelers will need to go to a 4-3 on early down. Carter can't hold up against the run. He can play the pass rush role but even then he is limited because he can only rush to the outside. Carter isn't strong enough to do a lot on a play to play basis.

The defense is really behind the 8 ball with all the injuries to the linebackers.

Carter is not gonna start. Harrison appears ready, as is Worilds. Even if Harrison can't go, I'm betting the Steelers will go with Timmons and Worilds on the outside.

Anyways, the issue with Carter is not mainly about his strength, its the fact that he looked lost out there vs. the Patriots.