PDA

View Full Version : Empty backfield...

feltdizz
10-31-2011, 02:13 PM
we went empty a lot vs the Pats and it worked pretty well... :stirpot

BURGH86STEEL
10-31-2011, 02:33 PM
I am not a fan of the formation. I suspect that Ben is comfortable in that formation because it allows him to read the defense a bit easier. When it's executed properly, it works well. When there are break downs in execution (QB reads, WR hots, blocking, poor throws, ect) it looks ugly. Guess the same can be said for any play out of any formation.

Dee Dub
10-31-2011, 03:11 PM
One thing that the shotgun, empty backfield takes away more times than not is the deep pass. No long ones to Mike Wallace. No play action no freezing the safety. But...it does force Ben to get rid of the ball quicker doesn't it? :wink:

papillon
10-31-2011, 07:43 PM
I'll ask this here, since I don't really want to start a thread for this. Was it just me or did Mike Wallace run a lot underneath drag routes yesterday? He made something out of them, but he looked kind of awkward catching the ball moving horizontally rather than vertically.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
10-31-2011, 07:49 PM

I sure didnt like seeing it deep in the redzone.

SidSmythe
10-31-2011, 08:03 PM
The Empty Backfield SUCKS when opposing teams Blitz

New England wasn't bringing it and it worked.
BUT next week, watch the RAVENS blitz when we have NO BACKS.

Nothing wrong with lining up EMPTY, but if a team is going to blitz you, no sense leaving Rashard Mendenhall outside when he's not threat and leaving your QB exposed

DukieBoy
10-31-2011, 08:27 PM

I sure didnt like seeing it deep in the redzone.

x2

The field is short and the opposing D floods the endzone more quickly and easily when we go empty.