PDA

View Full Version : "Illegal" punch play by Troy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
I read somewhere that this is not the illegal play that everyone seemed to think it was. The announcers on the game, NFLN analysts after the game all talked about the Steelers getting away with a play that should have resulted in a penalty. I didn't think so at the time and here is what I read:

Once and for all, there was NOTHING illegal about Polamalu batting the fumble...which is why no penalty was called. The so-called "Holy Roller" rule applies only to offensive players batting the ball forward, and the rulebook makes that distinction. Those who erroneously point to the wording of this rule contend that Troy batted the ball "forward." No he did not. Since the Patriots were the offensive team, "forward" is the direction toward the Steeler endzone. Truth is, the defensive player can bat the ball forward, backward, up, down....or he doesn't have to recover the ball at all. Since the ball did go out of the back of the endzone of the OFFENSIVE team, it is ruled a safety, same as if it was a blocked punt. It is ruled a touchback of the fumble goes out of the endzone of the DEFENSIVE team (the Steelers) and then the defensive team takes over at the 20. There you have it.
Bottom line: heads up play by Troy...and the officials.

The rule was put in place so that an offensive player can't fumble forward if he is stopped short on fourth down. I believe that a D player can do this anytime.

aggiebones
10-31-2011, 10:39 AM
If a ball is in the air can a defensive player tap it forward to a teammate who then catches and runs with it?
offense also refers to the direction of the defense when they gain possession. But it is true that no possession changed. Tricky call, letter of the law or not.

I don't think it should be legal for a defense to just roll a loose ball towards their own goal either. It should go to the original touching spot if a defense recovers eventually. I bet it is looked at in the offseason since the Steelers did it to end a game. :)

Steelers>NFL
10-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Smart play on Troys part. He knew he could not recover the fumble with 2 offensive linemen about to fall on the ball. I think he simply wanted to pin the ball deep into the Pats* terrtitory hoping to pin them deep. or hoping one of his player would recover the fumble. Very smart play!!!

steelblood
10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Are you saying that Phil Simms was wrong?

anger 82&95
10-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Are you saying that Phil Simms was wrong?
Since the day he exited the womb...

Slapstick
10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
If a ball is in the air can a defensive player tap it forward to a teammate who then catches and runs with it?
offense also refers to the direction of the defense when they gain possession. But it is true that no possession changed. Tricky call, letter of the law or not.

I don't think it should be legal for a defense to just roll a loose ball towards their own goal either. It should go to the original touching spot if a defense recovers eventually. I bet it is looked at in the offseason since the Steelers did it to end a game. :)

If they didn't change the tuck rule, they aren't changing this one...

Stewie
10-31-2011, 12:21 PM
I knew that Simms and company were wrong when they said it. The rule only applies to OFFENSIVE players. If you think about it, the rule couldn't apply to the defense, otherwise a sack fumble that goes backwards (relative to the offense) would be a penalty.

Discipline of Steel
10-31-2011, 03:48 PM
So if an offensive player fumbles near his own end zone, all a defensive player has to do is kick it out the back of the endzone for two points and subsequent possession. Sounds like something to keep in mind for the future.

Iron Shiek
10-31-2011, 04:07 PM
I knew that Simms and company were wrong when they said it. The rule only applies to OFFENSIVE players. If you think about it, the rule couldn't apply to the defense, otherwise a sack fumble that goes backwards (relative to the offense) would be a penalty.

Nantz tried to come up with about three different ways that the Steelers should've been penalized and/or the Patriots keeping possession of the ball on that play. I wanted to pee on my tv speakers everytime he spoke. I swear I'm not listening to CBS if he and Simms ever do play by play again. I can't stand him.

Discipline of Steel
10-31-2011, 04:36 PM

Nantz tried to come up with about three different ways that the Steelers should've been penalized and/or the Patriots keeping possession of the ball on that play. I wanted to pee on my tv speakers everytime he spoke. I swear I'm not listening to CBS if he and Simms ever do play by play again. I can't stand him.

I wouldnt pee on your speakers if Nance and Simms were on fire!

brothervad
10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
You know what's so funny about this...the punch actually lengthened the game. The Pats would've been down there and with no timeouts left they would've been unable to get a play off with the time remaining.

The punch was irrelevant.

brothervad

Steel Life
10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
To further the point...the defense never actually took possession of the ball, so there is no penalty for fumbling the ball forward for the score. It was just a heads up play by Troy who was only trying to burn time by knocking the ball back & hopefully the Steelers gaining possesion.

eniparadoxgma
10-31-2011, 07:55 PM
[quote=Stewie]I knew that Simms and company were wrong when they said it. The rule only applies to OFFENSIVE players. If you think about it, the rule couldn't apply to the defense, otherwise a sack fumble that goes backwards (relative to the offense) would be a penalty.

I wouldnt pee on your speakers if Nance and Simms were on fire![/quote:2g7y53y4]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :Bow

Scarletfire1970
10-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Are you sure because this espn article says it is illegal. I am curious why this isn't being talked about more. Where is the head of officiating when you need him

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/71746 ... iots-rules (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7174648/troy-polamalu-end-game-ball-slap-new-england-patriots-rules)

hawaiiansteel
10-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Are you sure because this espn article says it is illegal. I am curious why this isn't being talked about more.

a player may not intentionally bat or punch a loose ball in the field of play towards the opponent's goal line; doing so is a 10-yard penalty from the spot where the player hit it.

however, since the referees did not see or call the penalty, the call isn't reviewable by video replay.