PDA

View Full Version : Was the Officiating Off

flippy
10-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Seemed to me like there were calls that just didn't go our way yesterday and the refs were trying to keep the Pats in the game.

I thought there was PI on Brown in the EndZone that got missed.

I thought Clark got picked on a TD pass in the EndZone before the TD pass to Hernandez was thrown.

The Clark late hit penalty out of bounds seemed borderline as Gronkowski wasn't that far out of bounds.
Late is late, dumb play by Clark

The holding penalty on Mundy in the EndZone seemed like it was irrelevant on the play.
Two hands around the waist is going to be called every time and the ball wasn't overthrown by much.

And there was a scuffle where one of the linemen took a swing to the head of one of our players and nothing was called.

There were other plays off, but these are the ones I remember being borderline. The only miss for the Pats was the TD pass to Gronkowski that got spotted on the 1.

Maybe I'm too convinced the league has it out for us, but the calls seemed a little slanted every week.

Overall I thought it was a pretty clean game by the referees, considering what I've seen in other games this year.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Seemed to me like there were calls that just didn't go our way yesterday and the refs were trying to keep the Pats in the game.

I thought Clark got picked on a TD pass in the EndZone before the TD pass to Hernandez was thrown.

The Clark late hit penalty out of bounds seemed borderline as Gronkowski wasn't that far out of bounds.

The holding penalty on Mundy in the EndZone seemed like it was irrelevant on the play.
Two hands around the waist is going to be called every time and the ball wasn't overthrown by much.

And there was a scuffle where one of the linemen took a swing to the head of one of our players and nothing was called.

There were other plays off, but these are the ones I remember being borderline. The only miss for the Pats was the TD pass to Gronkowski that got spotted on the 1.

Maybe I'm too convinced the league has it out for us, but the calls seemed a little slanted every week.

Overall I thought it was a pretty clean game by the referees, considering what I've seen in other games this year.

Pappy

Did Flippy dress up as Pappy for Halloween today? :wink:

steelblood
10-31-2011, 10:03 AM
We got screwed on a couple, but we could have had 10 or more defensive holding penalties called. Kemo got away with a terrible and obvious hold on the first TD drive. Gronk really scored on that TD. Polamalu got away with slapping the ball on the final fumble...

Bad calls and poor officiating went both ways.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-31-2011, 10:04 AM
There are bad calls in every game and it isn't always about the Pittsburgh Steelers. To me the worst was the constant holding not being called, especially in the second half. That being said, sometimes it is just about bad officiating and not petty grudges.

**Note: This does not apply to James Harrison. He gets dumped on unfairly by the officials and the league. :D

RuthlessBurgher
10-31-2011, 10:15 AM
**Note: This does not apply to James Harrison. He gets dumped on unfairly by the officials and the league. :D

Even though he didn't play yesterday, I think Harrison got fined for being in a Renegade video montage on the Jumbotron that was deemed to be too aggressive in its efforts to intimidate the NFL's beloved Patriots. :wink:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-31-2011, 10:28 AM

Even though he didn't play yesterday, I think Harrison got fined for being in a Renegade video montage on the Jumbotron that was deemed to be too aggressive in its efforts to intimidate the NFL's beloved Patriots. :wink:

James Harrison is so tough that opposing players receive concussions just by watching videos of Harrison's hits. :lol:

papillon
10-31-2011, 10:34 AM

Pappy

Did Flippy dress up as Pappy for Halloween today? :wink:

The Steelers had a few surprises yesterday, so Flippy and I thought we'd produce a few surprises of our own. :P

Pappy

Eich
10-31-2011, 10:36 AM

I actually don't think the hit was late or out of bounds. Watching the replay in slo-mo, it looked to me like Clark made contact with the Cheater while he was in bounds.

The problem was that the initial contact was helmet-to-helmet and that's what he was flagged for. Clark needs to be more careful with his head. He makes a lot of helmet-to-helmet contact with his hits.

papillon
10-31-2011, 10:50 AM

I actually don't think the hit was late or out of bounds. Watching the replay in slo-mo, it looked to me like Clark made contact with the Cheater while he was in bounds.

The problem was that the initial contact was helmet-to-helmet and that's what he was flagged for. Clark needs to be more careful with his head. He makes a lot of helmet-to-helmet contact with his hits.

I thought the hit just prior to Clark had pushed the player outside the boundary and then Clark came in with his high hit. I don't recall exactly, but it seems he was OOB when he got hit. You're right about Clark he isn't changing the way he hits. I hope it doesn't cost the Steelers at some point in time.

Pappy

anger 82&95
10-31-2011, 10:58 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":33bbfyli]**Note: This does not apply to James Harrison. He gets dumped on unfairly by the officials and the league. :D

James Harrison is so tough that opposing players receive concussions just by watching videos of Harrison's hits. :lol:[/quote:33bbfyli]
James Harrison is so tough that even Chuck Norris got a concussion from watching still frames from videos of Silverback's player-hating hits.

flippy
10-31-2011, 12:15 PM

I thought the hit just prior to Clark had pushed the player outside the boundary and then Clark came in with his high hit. I don't recall exactly, but it seems he was OOB when he got hit. You're right about Clark he isn't changing the way he hits. I hope it doesn't cost the Steelers at some point in time.

Pappy

I didn't see the replay on that one, but from what I saw on the live play, I thought Gronkowski was still trying to get up field with the ball and hadn't gone out of bounds with the prior hit.

He's gotta be the hardest guy to bring down in the NFL, unless you're Cortez Allen :)

Mister Pittsburgh
10-31-2011, 12:19 PM
I would say most of the penalties were indeed penalties, and we probably got away with a couple things. But it happens....one thing I didn't like was the ref on the Pats sideline twice didn't throw the flag right away, until the Pats coaches ran up to him and complained.

-Troy punching the ball is perfectly legal. Phil Simms is a moron.

-I thought Vince Wilfork tried to take out Ben's knee when he rolled up on Ben injuring his foot. You can see Wilfork in pursuit and he didn't trip over anything but simply threw his body onto the ground and log rolled up on Ben's leg. I hate Wilfork and think he is as dirty as it gets.

ikestops85
10-31-2011, 12:30 PM
I think the officiating was the same as it usually is. They miss some calls and make some bad ones. I don't think the officials have anything against us or are for the Pats*. The really head scratcher for me was the PI called about 10 seconds after the play was over. How in the hell does it take the official that long to throw the flag?

On the Clark play initially I was screaming at him. How could he be so stupid? Then when I saw the replay I realized Gronkowski was tiptoeing down the sideline and had just stepped out of bounds right before Clark hit him. I apologized to Clark for all the nasty things I was saying about him ... I just hope he heard me. :P

pittpete
10-31-2011, 03:24 PM
I thought Vince Wilfork tried to take out Ben's knee when he rolled up on Ben injuring his foot. You can see Wilfork in pursuit and he didn't trip over anything but simply threw his body onto the ground and log rolled up on Ben's leg. I hate Wilfork and think he is as dirty as it gets.

IIRC fatboy was blocked into Ben on that play...
I do agree he is one dirty S.O.B.

fezziwig
10-31-2011, 04:45 PM
I thought the refs were more concerned with throwing the flag at the Steelers than the Pats. Example: Woodley takes a punch to the head on the sidelines and not one flag gets thrown.