PDA

View Full Version : Ben Becomes Fourth Fastest QB Ever to 75 Career Wins

hawaiiansteel
10-31-2011, 01:49 AM
Ben Roethlisberger Becomes Fourth Fastest to 75 Career Wins after Leading Steelers to 25-17 Win Over Patriots

by Michael Bean on Oct 30, 2011

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2174410/130977060_extra_large.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers celebrates during the game with Max Starks #78 against the New England Patriots at Heinz Field on October 30, 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

The Pittsburgh Steelers 25-17 win over the New England Patriots was truly a team effort.

There were contributions abound, from the usual big-name suspects as well as from young guys trying to uphold the standard. We'll get to the myriad players deserving of recognition in due time early this week, but first a quick word on an impressive individual accomplishment for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

After leading his team to a most impressive 25-17 win over the New England Patriots, Ben Roethlisberger now has 75 career wins as a starting quarterback in the National Football League. His all-time regular season record is now 75-31 (.708). Needing only 106 career starts to reach 75 wins, Roethlisberger becomes the fourth fastest to win that many games since the start of the Super Bowl era (1966). Tom Brady (99), Roger Staubach (99) and Ken Stabler (105) are the only quarterbacks to have won 75 games in fewer career starts than Big Ben.

Here were Roethlisberger's numbers on the night: 36-of-50 (72.0 %), 365 yards, 2 TDs 1 INT. The eighth-year quarterback now has 1,154 yards, 11 TDs and just 2 INTs during the Steelers four-game winning streak.

It's impossible to overstate what a special competitor and play maker Roethlisberger is for the Steelers. He may be good for one or two unnecessary mistakes most weeks, but hardcore NFL fans should know how hard it is to play an entire 60 minutes of clean football week in and week out.. Roethlisberger's one major mistake against New England was his second quarter interception that set up one of just two Patriots touchdowns.

Facing a 3rd and long deep inside his own territory, Big Ben didn't see a linebacker float into the window he was throwing into. He didn't get enough trajectory on the ball, and Gary Guyton jumped to pick off the pass, his first of the season. In addition to that one miscue, Roethlisberger probably could have thrown the ball away or checked down on several instances. His pass protection wasn't stellar, but it was good enough where the Patriots shouldn't have been credited with five sacks on the night.

I suppose that's one of the blessings in disguise from the Steelers win over a Patriots team you know the locker room is ecstatic to have beaten. The bottom line is the score could have, and should have been more lopsided if the offense had not turned the ball over deep inside its own territory and finished off drives more effectively once it breached the Patriots' red zone.

As is, Mike Tomlin and the rest of the Steelers coaching staff have plenty to chirp about this week as the team prepares for their Week 9 home tilt against the Baltimore Ravens. The beautiful thing though is that Roethlisberger will likely be the first to tell you that he can and will play better. It's that kind of mindset, combined with insane natural ability of course, that has allowed Big Ben to win so many games in such a short period of time so far in his already decorated career.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... er-records (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/10/30/2525990/steelers-vs-patriots-nfl-week-8-scores-ben-roethlisberger-career-records)

JAR
10-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Ben stinks, he's inconsistent, start Batch. :stirpot

eniparadoxgma
10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Still can't believe we're stuck with him... :x

Northern_Blitz
10-31-2011, 11:42 AM
And he did it WITHOUT CHEATING!!!

papillon
10-31-2011, 12:13 PM
What's the fastest to 86 wins? Ben can make it this year. :D :Beer :Beer

Pappy

Slapstick
10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
I hope he's also the second youngest player to win three SBs!!! :tt1

papillon
10-31-2011, 12:25 PM

If he gets to 86 wins he will be! :P :tt2

Pappy

AzStillers1989
10-31-2011, 12:38 PM

Pappy

86 wins THIS YEAR then he will be :)

:tt1

Dee Dub
10-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Ben Roethlisberger? One word.........ELITE!!!

papillon
10-31-2011, 01:35 PM

Pappy

86 wins THIS YEAR then he will be :)

:tt1

That's what I meant, thanks for the help. :Bow

Pappy

Slapstick
10-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Interesting company...

Brady = 3 Rings, most likely 1st ballot HoFer

Staubach = 2 Rings, HoFer

Stabler = 1 Ring, probably will not get into HoF unless he gets a senior nod...2X All-Pro, 4X Pro Bowler, League MVP, Bert Bell Award winner, 70s All-Decade Team...His only problem? He threw WAY more INTs than TDs

I believe the magic number for Joe Montana was 139 starts...

RuthlessBurgher
10-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Ben stinks, he's inconsistent, start Batch. :stirpot

What happened to that guy? :lol:

Was that the same MENSA member who predicted that LaMarr Woodley (7.5 sacks in the last 4 games without James Harrison on the other side to take double teams) would be out of the league in 2 years?

Captain Lemming
10-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Was that the same MENSA member who predicted that LaMarr Woodley (7.5 sacks in the last 4 games without James Harrison on the other side to take double teams) would be out of the league in 2 years?

No I never said that. I dont think there are any other MENSA members on this board. But with all the nicknames here, I might be wrong. :)

Shoe
10-31-2011, 08:51 PM
And he did it WITHOUT CHEATING!!!

1. Roger Staubach 99
-. Tom Brady 99*
2. Ken Stabler 105
3. Ben Roethlisberger 106

* Cheated x number of games during the 2000-2007 season. Has not won a playoff game since cheating was discovered.

DukieBoy
10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Congratulations to Ben!

Where do Rivers and Eli, his draft class competitors, (and Romo, Melting Ice, Flacco, etc) stand related to what Ben has accomplished?

Would someone like to send the facts to Sims, Jaws, Young, and all the other talking heads who tend to underestimate Ben in relation to all these others?

Slapstick
10-31-2011, 10:47 PM
1. Roger Staubach 99
-. Tom Brady 99*
2. Ken Stabler 105
3. Ben Roethlisberger 106

* Cheated x number of games during the 2000-2007 season. Has not won a SUPER BOWL since cheating was discovered.

Fixed that...Pats have won playoff games, but not a SB...

eniparadoxgma
11-01-2011, 04:04 AM

No I never said that. I dont think there are any other MENSA members on this board. But with all the nicknames here, I might be wrong. :)

As a fellow MENSA member, I do remember the "Woodley will be out of the league within 2 years" guy. You know...we don't miss much. :D

And I still can't believe we're stuck with Ben. :(

aggiebones
11-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Who's the fastest to 100 games? Ben could have that record and maybe a 3rd Super Bowl.

And still not be a top 25 all time QB in many eyes :)

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Who's the fastest to 100 games? Ben could have that record and maybe a 3rd Super Bowl.

And still not be a top 25 in the current NFL in many eyes :)

Fixed that for you. Remember, there are actually living, breathing humans (with presumably some low-level brain activity as well) who think this team would have been better off if Ben were benched and Batch were starting.

Wilkinsburg
11-02-2011, 11:19 AM

As a fellow MENSA member, I do remember the "Woodley will be out of the league within 2 years" guy. You know...we don't miss much. :D

What the heck are you talking about, "stuck with Ben?"

ikestops85
11-02-2011, 12:32 PM

It was a sarcastic comment referring to some who don't think Ben is a very good QB.

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 12:36 PM

It was a sarcastic comment referring to some who don't think Ben is a very good QB.

Eni would never use sarcasm....

(that was a sarcastic comment concerning eni's sarcasm...kind like how it's ironic that Alanis Morrisette's song titled "Ironic" gives no examples of any actual ironic situations).

hawaiiansteel
11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
News & Notes

Beaver County Times
Wednesday, November 2, 2011

QUESTIONING THE COACH

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wasn't too happy when told of a remark coach Mike Tomlin made Tuesday at his weekly press conference.

When asked if the Steelers would throw 50 times against the Ravens as they did against the Patriots, Tomlin said no because "you're going to get sacked, fumbled and intercepted."

When the Ravens beat the Steelers 35-7 on opening day, they sacked Roethlisberger four times while forcing fumbles on two of the sacks, and intercepting him three times.

"That's not a lot of confidence from your head coach, I guess," Roethlisberger said of Tomlin's comment.

During the Steelers' four-game winning streak, Roethlisberger has been doing a better job of taking care of the football with no lost fumbles and only two interceptions during that span.

Meanwhile, Roethlisberger was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his 365-yard, two-touchdown performance against the Patriots.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... 697b9.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/news-notes-harrison-s-future-blurry/article_fcaa4e37-8d3b-59e3-878e-5c9107c697b9.html)

Slapstick
11-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wasn't too happy when told of a remark coach Mike Tomlin made Tuesday at his weekly press conference.

When asked if the Steelers would throw 50 times against the Ravens as they did against the Patriots, Tomlin said no because "you're going to get sacked, fumbled and intercepted."

When the Ravens beat the Steelers 35-7 on opening day, they sacked Roethlisberger four times while forcing fumbles on two of the sacks, and intercepting him three times.
"That's not a lot of confidence from your head coach, I guess," Roethlisberger said of Tomlin's comment.

It would be awesome if the Steelers came out and threw it 50 times...

That being said, if you want your coach to have confidence, don't turn the ball over 5 times against the Ravens...

papillon
11-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I find this interesting about the list of quarterbacks that were the fastest to 75 wins in less games than Ben. Ken Stabler (96 wins and 7-5 in the playoffs) and Roger Staubach (85 wins 11-6 in the playoffs) never made it to 100 regular season wins in their careers.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
11-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Steelers' Roethlisberger shrugs off MVP talk

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 4, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-11-03/1104RoerthliInsodeCAP-a.jpg

With the transformation of the Steelers to a pass-happy offense coupled with the best four-game stretch of his career, QB Ben Roethlisberger is in the league MVP race.

Drew Brees has the yards, Tom Brady has the reputation, and Aaron Rodgers, well, he probably has the award already locked up.

For Ben Roethlisberger, that's just fine because he's not really interested in all the talk of him being in the running for the NFL MVP award with some of the league's heavyweights midway through the season.

He's more worried about winning.

"I am never about individual stats and numbers," Roethlisberger said. "For me, that has kind of defined my career by just winning football games. For me, that's all that matters. For me, it is so much bigger than that."

Interested or not, Roethlisberger has crept into the conversation.

With the transformation of the Steelers to more of a pass-happy offense coupled with the best four-game stretch of his career, Roethlisberger has maneuvered himself into the league MVP race at the halfway point.

"It is a little too early for talk like that," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger knows his chances of winning the MVP award are remote, unless they take in account "winning games ugly" or as he said walking through the locker room yesterday: "The only way that happens is if Aaron Rodgers breaks his leg."

Even if Rodgers is having an MVP-type year and still has his team undefeated, Roethlisberger's numbers are comparable.

Roethlisberger has three 360-plus-yard games this year, which is the same as Brady and Brees, and one more than Rodgers.

"It is not something we dream about or talk about," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "That would just come as an accolade with the team winning."

Roethlisberger outdueled Brady last week and has another chance to show how's far he's developed into a MVP candidate in front of a national audience Sunday night against the team that's given him the most fits over his career Baltimore.

Roethlisberger had one of the worst games of his career early in the year against his AFC North rivals. He threw three interceptions, fumbled twice and was sacked four times in a 35-7 loss.

"I don't expect to see that again," receiver Mike Wallace said. "He's playing the best I've seen him since I've been here."

After a slow first month, Roethlisberger played some of the best football of his career over the past four weeks.

Roethlisberger has virtually the same attempts, completions and yards in the first four games as he had in the last four. However, he has thrown eight more touchdown passes and three less interceptions. His passer rating was 80.2 after four games, and 110.4 over the past four.

"He is as good as anybody in the National Football League," Baltimore coach Jim Harbaugh said. "He is a great quarterback. He has proved it."

Roethlisberger is on pace for 4,600 yards, and 28 touchdowns, but more importantly to him, the Steelers are on pace for another 12-win season the fourth in Roethlisberger's eight years in the league.

"I am playing OK," Roethlisberger said. "I couldn't tell you about other good stretches I played because I just don't know my numbers. The biggest number for me is winning ..."

With winning comes a better chance of being an MVP.

The last 25 MVPs have played for teams that averaged a 13-3 record. Only one team during that time that produced an MVP with fewer than 10 victories was the 1997 Detroit Lions (9-7).

"They are never going to give it to a guy that puts up huge numbers and doesn't win a game," Roethlisberger said. "If you are playing well and helping your team win, that's important, but to me, it's the ultimate goal. Other than the Super Bowl, that's the ultimate team award."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1cnLvLaYQ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_765450.html#ixzz1cnLvLaYQ)