PDA

View Full Version : the 3 keys to victory....

Starlifter
10-31-2011, 01:16 AM
actually 4 cause you have to give props to the coaching, particularly the offensive and defensive game plans. press coverage and continual passing to heath miller???? who were those imposters in the lebeau/arians costumes???.... :tt1

but as to the players themselves.

1. Ike Taylor. week in and week out he shuts down the opposing teams best WR. today it was welker. a crime if he doesn't make the pro bowl.

2. speed, speed and more speed. you can't coach it. you can't contain it and you sure can't stop it.

3. most importantly. I know the Steelers know this BUT can they just come to their senses and do whatever it takes to have a solid and deep offensive line for years to come? my god, to protect the QB, dominate the line of scrimmage and allow 40 minutes of possession. is there anything more important to success? Ben had his way with the pats. why? because he had time to throw. receivers had time to run routes. holes were opened to run through. an unbelievable performance made even more stunning since this was the first time all year we started the same 5 guys two weeks in a row. we've been waiting all year for the offense to explode - but the poor O-line play kept allowing defenses to snuff out the fuse. Today arians must have been giddy with his ability to call dang near anything he wanted and have a good chance of success.

now let's go expose the rats for the frauds they are - and erase the memory of week one.

AngryAsian
10-31-2011, 03:33 AM
We sustain game chewing drives of 8 min.+ and keep Marsha off the field while keeping our D fresh on the sidelines, we will win this game. The games that the Pats lose is when Brady's rhythm is disrupted with constant pass rush pressure and more importantly Brady seeing more time on the sidelines.

Not in the habit of tooting, but this was my post in a thread earlier in the week... Props to OL for a solid game in the trenches and glad that we gave a nice dose of a dink and dunk offense to Bellicheat*. Many board members have pointed out that trying to execute the high yield, vertically stretching and long developing pass plays are too telegraphed and predictable... Everyone knows we have a ridiculously fast set of receivers that can get the above noted done. Now we've given the league something to think about. Our three young-money receivers ran quick and crisp short routes, with great hands. Big props to Arians for finally adjusting and taking what an opposing D was willing to give him, which was inept linebacking coverage and a very young DB crew who can't cover a speedy set of receivers.

papillon
10-31-2011, 06:21 AM
actually 4 cause you have to give props to the coaching, particularly the offensive and defensive game plans. press coverage and continual passing to heath miller???? who were those imposters in the lebeau/arians costumes???.... :tt1

but as to the players themselves.

1. Ike Taylor. week in and week out he shuts down the opposing teams best WR. today it was welker. a crime if he doesn't make the pro bowl.

2. speed, speed and more speed. you can't coach it. you can't contain it and you sure can't stop it.

3. most importantly. I know the Steelers know this BUT can they just come to their senses and do whatever it takes to have a solid and deep offensive line for years to come? my god, to protect the QB, dominate the line of scrimmage and allow 40 minutes of possession. is there anything more important to success? Ben had his way with the pats. why? because he had time to throw. receivers had time to run routes. holes were opened to run through. an unbelievable performance made even more stunning since this was the first time all year we started the same 5 guys two weeks in a row. we've been waiting all year for the offense to explode - but the poor O-line play kept allowing defenses to snuff out the fuse. Today arians must have been giddy with his ability to call dang near anything he wanted and have a good chance of success.

now let's go expose the rats for the frauds they are - and erase the memory of week one.

I disagree a bit with #3. The difference to me was Ben; he was getting the ball out in the first half quickly and that helps the offensive line. They took what the Patriots gave them and it was a thing of beauty. In the end though, Ben was still sacked 3 or 4 times during the game when it mattered and at least two of those were because he held the ball a bit too long.

The offense wasn't as crisp in the second half, but the defense stepped up. When the offense plays an entire game the Steelers will be extremely dangerous. I'm hoping these complete games start to happen in January. :D

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
10-31-2011, 07:10 AM
I believe there were 5 keys to the game.

1) Ben - Although he had some "typical" Ben moments, overall Ben played a great game. Just goes to show the type of influence a QB's play can have over an entire game. When Ben plays well, the offense usually thrives. When he plays poorly, the offense struggles.

2) TOP - That goes back to the way Ben executed.

3) Defensive change to playing the receivers tight at the line.

4) More pressure on Brady.

5) Steelers limited mistakes that shot themselves in the foot in the past vs the Pats

Starlifter
10-31-2011, 09:54 AM
I'll have to watch the game again pappy - but my perspective from the stands was those quick throws by ben were hot reads due to the pats blitzing. I think the touchdown to mwelde was just such a play. I can't be sure but I think the pats blitzed from that side and mwelde/ben both read it and he ran a hot slant route with ben throwing over the LB.

nevertheless, it was beautiful to see and certainly gives future opponents pause. isn't that always the argument with manning? blitz him and he'll read it every time and quick pass you to death? so yes, i agree with you about ben. other than those two bad back to back plays - he was lights out awesome.

but we still need a great o-line week in and week out....... :tt2

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-31-2011, 10:01 AM
1) Ben - Although he had some "typical" Ben moments, overall Ben played a great game.

Wow. I'm not sure if this was intentional but this is a really backhanded compliment.

What is a "typical" Ben moment? Is it evading three 300 pound linemen to break free and throw a 50 yard TD pass? To me that is a typical Ben moment. How about succeeding under constant pressure due to poor Oline play? How about handing the ball off to a RB who rushes for no gain over and over which puts the focus strictly on him? To me those are "typical" Ben moments but his OL and running game were working pretty well so there were few "typical" Ben moments in my view.