PDA

View Full Version : Our last 2 (dumb) time outs - on Ben?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Seems to me that Ben took charge of the play calling to a large degree during the no huddle. And I think he did an awesome job.

There were some clock management issues though, where we had to take timeouts because the play clock was running out. Do you guys think that is just something that Ben blew because he didn't have much experience, and it will get better as he does this more often?

Or is there another reason we fubar'd in those two situations? If Ben is running the no-huddle and calling the plays, it's hard to blame the coaches, right?

steelz09
10-30-2011, 09:49 PM
I noticed that Ben was shaking his head is disgust when he had to take those timeouts. I don't know if he was made at himself or if he was mad that the play wasn't getting relayed to him quick enough.

JTP53609
10-30-2011, 10:24 PM
it drives me crazy using second half timeouts in the 3rd qtr of a close game. it is better than a 5 yd delay of game but gosh those are really important in the fourth qtr of a close game

Steel Life
10-30-2011, 10:46 PM
During the broadcast Simms pointed out that Ben was upset because the play came in late one time & there was some confusion during player substitutions on the other...so no, I don't put those on Ben. Besides, he outplayed Brady & won the game - why nitpick?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-30-2011, 10:49 PM
During the broadcast Simms pointed out that Ben was upset because the play came in late one time & there was some confusion during player substitutions on the other...so no, I don't put those on Ben. Besides, he outplayed Brady & won the game - why nitpick?

Sorry, Steel Life, I guess it is nitpicking, but I would have died if it'd come down to our needing one of those at the end of the game.

Also, I honestly didn't know if during a QB-run no-huddle how much responsibility the sideline has. From what I read above, apparently some plays were coming in from the sideline, it wasn't all Ben.

Pahn711
10-30-2011, 10:57 PM
There were some clock management issues though, where we had to take timeouts because the play clock was running out. Do you guys think that is just something that Ben blew because he didn't have much experience, and it will get better as he does this more often?

If Ben takes a timeout in the redzone and does NOT end the drive with a touchdown, then yes I have a problem with it. There are so many variables that could go wrong that you can't blame it all on Ben though. He might not have liked the defensive alignment or how his receivers/linemen were set up, sometimes its too late to make that adjustment without calling a timeout. But like I said, if they don't end up with a touchdown you gotta wonder whether it was worth it.

I didn't keep track well enough to know for sure. but considering they had three red zone drives end in field goals, I suspect at least one of them was a timeout drive.

Steel Life
10-30-2011, 11:11 PM

Sorry, Steel Life, I guess it is nitpicking, but I would have died if it'd come down to our needing one of those at the end of the game.

Also, I honestly didn't know if during a QB-run no-huddle how much responsibility the sideline has. From what I read above, apparently some plays were coming in from the sideline, it wasn't all Ben.
I'm not busting on you man...I'm just enjoying the win. All things considered, it was a great gameplan on both offense & defense, & they were executed well. Were they perfect?...No. But I'm more concerned about our red-zone efficiency than burning a time-out or two. That said, I believe the struggles in the red-zone are in part due to the game plan that was so successful throughout the game...an over-reliance on the smaller WRs. We have to get our running game to be more effective down there & integrate the TEs as well. I've worried openly that the success of our WR would seduce BA into going away from other parts of the game - especially in the redzone. This has been a problem for BA in years past, earlier this season & it doesn't look like he's addressed it yet.

NJ-STEELER
10-30-2011, 11:20 PM
the 2nd one came after a penalty on gilbert...that one is inexcusable

in some instances i think it is better to take a 5 yd delay then waste a timeout. the situation on the 2nd one called for it IMO. 3rd and 10 from the 12. how many times are we going to get a 1st down there?
plus it opens up the field when your down in tight like that and want to pass the ball