PDA

View Full Version : Lebeau finally tries out what we've been saying all along

SteelAbility
10-30-2011, 07:31 PM
And comes away with a W. How long did it take to finally see this?

<still frustrated even in victory>

Oviedo
10-30-2011, 07:35 PM
And comes away with a W. How long did it take to finally see this?

<still frustrated even in victory>

:Agree High number of blitzes and tight man to man. Why don't we do this every week?

It was an excellent game plan. I hope we don't go back to the big cushions and three man rushes.

Slapstick
He really didn't...

Most of this board advocated blitzing...

For the most part, the Steelers played coverage...with Willie Gay stepping up his game and Keenan Lewis playing MUCH better, perhaps he could execute the game plan he wanted all along...

Steelhere10
I for one have ben calling out DL. BUT THAT was a great game plan.

DukieBoy
10-30-2011, 07:38 PM
I think I did not see the 10 yard cushion at all today.

SteelAbility
10-30-2011, 07:40 PM
He really didn't...

Most of this board advocated blitzing...

For the most part, the Steelers played coverage...with Willie Gay stepping up his game and Keenan Lewis playing MUCH better, perhaps he could execute the game plan he wanted all along...

I was talking more about the 10-yard cushions. It was so obvious that wasn't working against NE. When a QB is sitting right around 7.0 YPA and 70-72% completion percentage, 10-yard cushions are just playing right into his hands.

hawaiiansteel
10-30-2011, 07:41 PM
damn we're smart! :D

BURGH86STEEL
10-30-2011, 07:44 PM
The offense played a huge role in limiting the opportunities the Pats had to score. Pats only had the ball 20:38. It took the entire team to help keep Brady off the field and defeat the Pats. I am sure Brady would had picked apart the defense if he had more opportunities.

SteelAbility
10-30-2011, 07:52 PM
The offense played a huge role in limiting the opportunities the Pats had to score. Pats only had the ball 20:38. It took the entire team to help keep Brady off the field and defeat the Pats. I am sure Brady would had picked apart the defense if he had more opportunities.

That's actually a really good point. Nonetheless, you could see the difference defensively with tight-man-coverage. Brady was essentially gifted 7 points on the Ben's INT. The game was not as close as the final score.

Flasteel
10-30-2011, 07:54 PM
What do you mean finally? We started mixing in more press coverage after the Pats game last year. This year, we've mixed in far more press and man coverages and the CBs have flat-out got the job done. This is not new, but it is the first time LeBeau has unleashed against the Pats. The play of our defensive backs and the willingness of Coach LeBeau to let them man-up and press has the potential to transform this defense.

Old and slow my ass. :tt2

Not to change the topic, but both coordinators deserve credit in this game. BA did a masterful job of attacking the New England defense. Attacking the soft middle with quick passes to Heath, then with the receivers, sticking with what was working, gashing them with timely runs, and even nice proactive use of the no-huddle.

Great friggin' Job DL & BA!! :tt2

Graet friggin' job by every man that stepped on the field in the Black-n-Gold today!! :tt2

Shoe
10-30-2011, 07:57 PM

Agreed. His* first drive was 3 & out, and then didn't see the field the rest of the 1st quarter. That messed with his* rhythm, at least for the next couple drives. TOP played a huge factor in slowing them* down.

BURGH86STEEL
10-30-2011, 08:09 PM

That's actually a really good point. Nonetheless, you could see the difference defensively with tight-man-coverage. Brady was essentially gifted 7 points on the Ben's INT. The game was not as close as the final score.

I agree they played tighter at the line. Even with that tight coverage, Brady got the ball to WR's. It appeared they were able to get more pressure on Brady. Woodely did a good job of winning one on one a couple of times. They did some different things up front to apply that pressure. It also seemed that the Steelers defensive players wanted to win this game badly for Lebeau.

Overall, I believe it was more then just playing tight coverage that made the difference in the game.

SteelAbility
10-30-2011, 08:18 PM

I agree they played tighter at the line. Even with that tight coverage, Brady got the ball to WR's. It appeared they were able to get more pressure on Brady. Woodely did a good job of winning one on one a couple of times. They did some different things up front to apply that pressure. It also seemed that the Steelers defensive players wanted to win this game badly for Lebeau.

Overall, I believe it was more then just playing tight coverage that made the difference in the game.

The defensive 3rd down play was also outstanding. I can't recall how many times in the past we allowed 3rd and long conversions to Brady.

papillon
10-30-2011, 08:20 PM
The coordinators look brilliant today because the team executed almost to perfection. Had Brady managed to score the winning TD late everyone would be bellyaching that BA is an idiot and the Steelers dominated the game, but didn't score enough points.

When the team executes the coordinators look like geniuses and when the players don't execute the coordinators look idiotic. DL and BA know what the hell they're doing, sometimes the players have to make plays and today the Steeler players made plays.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-30-2011, 08:37 PM
The coordinators look brilliant today because the team executed almost to perfection. Had Brady managed to score the winning TD late everyone would be bellyaching that BA is an idiot and the Steelers dominated the game, but didn't score enough points.

When the team executes the coordinators look like geniuses and when the players don't execute the coordinators look idiotic. DL and BA know what the hell they're doing, sometimes the players have to make plays and today the Steeler players made plays.

Pappy

sorry Pap but if we lost today we would have walked away knowing it was a fluke loss. We dominated today and the changes by the coordinators were obvious. We dominated them and the INT and 2 questionable calls were the only reason we didn't blow them out.

SteelAbility
10-30-2011, 08:40 PM

Pappy

But those cushions make it difficult on the D. That's the point. When the cushion is there, it leaves two good options for the receiver. Quick catch for 5 yards, or build up a head of steam with a sudden change of direction or quick stop as the defender has momentum towards his own goal line. Take away the cushion and the quick pass options get limited and the pass-rush becomes more effective. Simple physics.

feltdizz
10-30-2011, 08:42 PM
The press D caused problems for the WR's. I think we solved our DB woes. We can do that every game.

BURGH86STEEL
10-30-2011, 08:47 PM

Pappy

I agree

Flasteel
10-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Pappy

Pap...I don't mean to be disrespectful to you Brughsteel, or dizz...I think you are all good guys with great opinions (apologies to Burgh for implying otherwise). But when you guys trot out that complete nonsense about execution being the sole determinor of offensive or defensive success, you come across as having a very simplistic understanding of the game.

You cannot overstate the importance of execution in any winning formula. Without it you lose every time. The execution of the plays on the field can sometimes hide bad play-calling or make brilliant tactical decisions look foolish.

That said, for you to state or even imply that we can't see the general game plan and strategies employed by the coordinators is an insult to any knowledgable fan.

Did you not see the constant press/man coverage?

The stunts and twists up front?

The barrage of quick passes and the 50 attempts?

Attacking the defense at all horizontal points and limiting everything to the short and intermediate verticle routes?

The timely run calls?

The proactive use of the no-huddle to further gas the defense and keep them off-balance?

Really??? Do you think they do these things when we lose ball games and we just don't see it.?

You can see this stuff when the players drop balls, miss tackles, throw bone-headed picks, or get stoned at the line of scrimmage. You can likewise notice and appreciate the general plan of attack when the players go out there and make the plays. If you can't tell the difference, then fine. Just don't project your understanding of the game to the rest of us fans who can see and appreciate outstanding play-calling (or complain about poor play-calling).

There has been a lot of praise for BA from me lately, as well as the board in general...most of us tend to call it like we see it and are not simply jedi mind-tricked by the performance of the players.

hawaiiansteel
10-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Steelers Beat Patriots, 25-17, Halloween Starts Early

Posted on October 30, 2011 by ryan

A few quick thoughts…

Maybe we should mentally prepare for every Steelers game by hoping for the worst.

For a team that consistently wins a lot of games from one season to the next, this might be one of Pittsburgh’s biggest regular-season victories in I don’t know how long.

We’ve whined for years about D!ck LeBeau’s inability to adjust to Tom Brady’s Magnificence. Well, that changed Sunday; the Steelers’ cornerbacks played A LOT of press coverage and had a ton of success with it, even without Deebo, Potsie and LaMarr for much of the second half (even though he did plenty in the first two quarters). It leads me to believe that LeBeau didn’t have much faith in previous season’s secondary’s ability in man coverage.

Today, Ike, Willie Gay, Keenan Lewis (!) and Cortez Allen all had solid afternoons. And for as much as we’ve panned Lewis in recent seasons, the dude’s shown up in 2011. Hats off to you, sir.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/10/s ... #more-6518 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/10/steelers-beat-patriots-2517-halloween/#more-6518)

Starlifter
10-31-2011, 01:00 AM
the nice thing about being at the game is you can really see the whole defense and how it was stacking up. great job using ike man to man with welker. he totally shut him down. that left the others to press up on the TE's. we all predicted they would be heavy to gronkowski and they sure tried - but the tight coverage worked like a charm.

AngryAsian
10-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Have to agree with Flasteel on this one. Generally I can somewhat see what BA is going to run play-wise, thatit has been an in-going joke with the two Pats-can-buddies I sit with in Sundays. Yesterday I couldn't guess crap (granted my football acumen isn't as evolved as some of our esteemed board members). But huge props to BA and DL for thinking outside the box and address deficiencies with game plans that were masterful. The team I saw yesterday is a team capable of winning another championship. All phases were working, even with plan b players being inserted.

feltdizz
10-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Not sure why someone has to be right or wrong after a win... I don't care if you could or couldn't guess what we were doing... it['s not about guessing, it's about the players doing their job and yesterday they did a damn fine job of smacking the Pats in the mouth.

we played great football and everyone deserves a :Beer

papillon
10-31-2011, 09:37 AM

Pappy

Pap...I don't mean to be disrespectful to you Brughsteel, or dizz...I think you are all good guys with great opinions (apologies to Burgh for implying otherwise). But when you guys trot out that complete nonsense about execution being the sole determinor of offensive or defensive success, you come across as having a very simplistic understanding of the game.

You cannot overstate the importance of execution in any winning formula. Without it you lose every time. The execution of the plays on the field can sometimes hide bad play-calling or make brilliant tactical decisions look foolish.

That said, for you to state or even imply that we can't see the general game plan and strategies employed by the coordinators is an insult to any knowledgable fan.

Attacking the defense at all horizontal points and limiting everything to the short and intermediate verticle routes?

The timely run calls?

The proactive use of the no-huddle to further gas the defense and keep them off-balance?

Really??? Do you think they do these things when we lose ball games and we just don't see it.?

You can see this stuff when the players drop balls, miss tackles, throw bone-headed picks, or get stoned at the line of scrimmage. You can likewise notice and appreciate the general plan of attack when the players go out there and make the plays. If you can't tell the difference, then fine. Just don't project your understanding of the game to the rest of us fans who can see and appreciate outstanding play-calling (or complain about poor play-calling).

There has been a lot of praise for BA from me lately, as well as the board in general...most of us tend to call it like we see it and are not simply jedi mind-tricked by the performance of the players.

It's not disrespectful it's your opinion and it doesn't bother me. I still think this board would have been in melt down mode had the Patriots managed a game winning drive late after being outplayed the entire game. BA would have been an idiot for not scoring TDs and settling for FGs, because he ran plays A,B and C instead of plays D, E and F. D@mn I've been around here long enough to now that BA is cause of ills when it comes to Steeler offense and he would have been crucified had the Steele4rs lost this game.

I've been a fan of BA since he began the transformation from a run first offense to using your best player (Ben) as the great quarterback that he is. So, this really isn't surprising to me. What happened today was getting a lead and not turning the ball over on offense. Was the game plan different? Yes Had the Steelers tried different game plans before? Yes (believe it or not) It was successful today, because the players didn't make too many blatantly obvious mistakes and won their one-on-one match ups.

Ben was sharp (72% completion), the young guys were open and had a lot of YAC to sustain drives and with all the good that the offense did today, the Steelers were still in jeopardy late in this game, because New England is a good team. The Patriots defense gives up yards all the time, but are middle of the pack in scoring defense and they did it to the Steelers yesterday by forcing them to kick FGs. Fortunately, the defense played as well as the offense and Brady was ineffective for the most part (gave him a 9 yard TD drive).

IMHO, Belichick took away the Patriots last chance to salvage a win with the onside kick. He should have kicked that ball deep and played defense and see if Ben could manufacture 3 first downs (the Pats had 3 TOs). One offensive screw up late and deep in Steeler territory and the Pats would have gotten the ball back in good position with Brady and time. The onside kick was an awful call from a very smart football coach.

Pappy

LouSteel
10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
I've been a fan of BA since he began the transformation from a run first offense to using your best player (Ben) as the great quarterback that he is. So, this really isn't surprising to me. What happened today was getting a lead and not turning the ball over on offense. Was the game plan different? Yes Had the Steelers tried different game plans before? Yes (believe it or not) It was successful today, because the players didn't make too many blatantly obvious mistakes and won their one-on-one match ups.

Calling this game plan "different" is quite possibly the understatement of the century.

This game plan was not "different" from BAs typical game plan. It was positively unrecognizable from BA's typical game plan. He schemed out of his freaking mind -- and us BA haters want to see much more of it, but fear we'll end up with the same ol' RUTFM that hobbles our O.

IMHO, Belichick took away the Patriots last chance to salvage a win with the onside kick. He should have kicked that ball deep and played defense and see if Ben could manufacture 3 first downs (the Pats had 3 TOs). One offensive screw up late and deep in Steeler territory and the Pats would have gotten the ball back in good position with Brady and time. The onside kick was an awful call from a very smart football coach.

Because I'm persnickety today, I'm going to disagree with this one too :D

Sep punted exactly one time today. We were averaging over 5 yards per play on offense, and -- before Ben took what I hope were two planned sacks -- were moving the ball at will.

With 2:35 left, the Steelers wouldn't need 3 first downs to chew through 3 timeouts. We'd need one. If the Pats let the clock run on our 1st down play down to the 2 minute warning, they have to take two quick TOs after our 2nd & 3rd down plays or else we can run the clock down to :40.

1 first down would seal the game... and if you're Bellicheat, do you trust your D to make the stop? I wouldn't.

feltdizz
10-31-2011, 10:29 AM

Calling this game plan "different" is quite possibly the understatement of the century.

This game plan was not "different" from BAs typical game plan. It was positively unrecognizable from BA's typical game plan. He schemed out of his freaking mind -- and us BA haters want to see much more of it, but fear we'll end up with the same ol' RUTFM that hobbles our O.

Sep punted exactly one time today. We were averaging over 5 yards per play on offense, and -- before Ben took what I hope were two planned sacks -- were moving the ball at will.

With 2:35 left, the Steelers wouldn't need 3 first downs to chew through 3 timeouts. We'd need one. If the Pats let the clock run on our 1st down play down to the 2 minute warning, they have to take two quick TOs after our 2nd & 3rd down plays or else we can run the clock down to :40.

1 first down would seal the game... and if you're Bellicheat, do you trust your D to make the stop? I wouldn't.

we did the same thing in other games this season... everyone ripped BA for the Jags game because Ben was throwing deep to wide open WR's and missing them after the Jags adjusted their D to stop the underneath passes.

Pap is right.. if the Pats pulled this out everyone would have ripped BA or said the D didn't get a stop when we needed one.

The players executed and played a crisp game and Ben made great decision...

papillon
10-31-2011, 10:47 AM

You're right, one 1st down would have done it, I thought there was more time on the clock when they took the onside kick. That being said, I still don't like the onside kick.

I'm always on the side of extend the game and make the other team play to win as long as you can. An onside kick isn't recovered at a high enough percentage for me to give it a shot with 3 TOs and 2:35 on the clock. In effect the game was over the moment the Steelers took possession. Kicking it deep and forcing the Steelers to play real offense extends the game. The Steelers may have run out the clock or they may not have, but, the Steeler offense in the second half was not nearly as effective as the first. A mistake IMHO was to take the onside at that point in time.

As good as Ben played, I'd make him have to air it out one more time to make a first down from deep in his own end of the field.

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
10-31-2011, 11:30 AM

Pappy

The timely run calls?

It's not disrespectful it's your opinion and it doesn't bother me. I still think this board would have been in melt down mode had the Patriots managed a game winning drive late after being outplayed the entire game. BA would have been an idiot for not scoring TDs and settling for FGs, because he ran plays A,B and C instead of plays D, E and F. D@mn I've been around here long enough to now that BA is cause of ills when it comes to Steeler offense and he would have been crucified had the Steele4rs lost this game.

Ben was sharp (72% completion), the young guys were open and had a lot of YAC to sustain drives and with all the good that the offense did today, the Steelers were still in jeopardy late in this game, because New England is a good team. The Patriots defense gives up yards all the time, but are middle of the pack in scoring defense and they did it to the Steelers yesterday by forcing them to kick FGs. Fortunately, the defense played as well as the offense and Brady was ineffective for the most part (gave him a 9 yard TD drive).

Pappy

Yep, BA would had been crucified. What's ironic is it appears the Steelers ran many of the same formations and plays they ran since BA became the OC. Some of the same plays were even run when they went no huddle. It's been stated on more the one occasion they run the plays Ben is most comfortable with executing. The crystal clear difference to my eyes was the way Ben executed the offense. It's been clear all season. When Ben played well, the offense looked great. When he played inconsistently and poorly, the offense struggled.

I am not for or against BA. I do know he's not as bad as some claim. More often then not, mistakes by the players usually cost the team more then the coaching. That's why I scratch my head when most of the blame falls at the feet of BA. Guess it's just the nature of the job.

Slapstick
10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
we did the same thing in other games this season... everyone ripped BA for the Jags game because Ben was throwing deep to wide open WR's and missing them after the Jags adjusted their D to stop the underneath passes.

Pap is right.. if the Pats pulled this out everyone would have ripped BA or said the D didn't get a stop when we needed one.

The players executed and played a crisp game and Ben made great decision...

QFT

ikestops85
10-31-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm going to disagree that this is the first time Lebeau has tried out the press defense against the Pats*. He did it a few years back with some success until a young safety, who earlier in the week made a bold prediction, gave up a couple of big plays. You can bet your arse the next time we play them they will start taking shots down the field. We surprised them this time but the next time they will have some new wrinkles to try to beat this D. DL will have to come up with a nice mixture again.

My hats off to BA for the excellent game. He used the Pats* own game plan against them and it frustrated them as much as it usually frustrates us. He said the hell with balance ... we are going to throw, throw and throw some more. We'll mix in a few running plays in just to keep them a little honest.

BURGH86STEEL
10-31-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm going to disagree that this is the first time Lebeau has tried out the press defense against the Pats*. He did it a few years back with some success until a young safety, who earlier in the week made a bold prediction, gave up a couple of big plays. You can bet your arse the next time we play them they will start taking shots down the field. We surprised them this time but the next time they will have some new wrinkles to try to beat this D. DL will have to come up with a nice mixture again.

My hats off to BA for the excellent game. He used the Pats* own game plan against them and it frustrated them as much as it usually frustrates us. He said the hell with balance ... we are going to throw, throw and throw some more. We'll mix in a few running plays in just to keep them a little honest.

I agree it wasn't they first time they played press coverage vs the Pats. It did not appear to be exclusively press coverage. It appeared to be more man to man coverage. There were situations were the DB's played off the Pats WR's in what appeared to be man coverage. Troy floating around in space and pressure on Brady appeared to play a huge role. I believe the Steelers changed from mostly zone coverage to man coverage with Troy playing the middle zone reading Brady for most of the game.

Regardless of whatever coverages the Steelers used on defense, the offense did a great job limiting the Pats opportunities by keeping the ball almost 40 minutes. As I stated in another thread, it took a total team effort to deal with Brady and the Pats offense.

I believe Ben's execution of the offense was the difference. Ben took what the defense gave. Did not appear they did much different in terms of formations or play calling. They still ran 5 WR sets, play action fakes for plays down field, same run plays, screens, WR screens, ect.

SteelerEmpire
10-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I had a feeling that this time around (esp. with Lake now as the DB's coach) he would go man-blitz coverage mostly. And, unless I missed something, I don't even think I saw William Gay get torched as usual. Yep, I'm willing to say the Lake era has now officially arrived ! I mean how long have we've been trying to get LeBeau to run that type of defense before Lake got here ?