PDA

View Full Version : It's All on Ben

flippy
10-28-2011, 08:07 AM
At the end of the day, Ben's play is likely going to determine our fate.

When Good Ben shows up, we win.

When Bad Ben rears his ugly head, we lose.

A handful of times Ben has had decent games and we've lost, but those are rare occasions.

A few more times, Ben has put up big stinkers and our D has bailed us out.

But the D can't bail us out any more.

Their best of times may be in the past.

Now is time for Ben to take it to the next level.

He's got that level.

We just need consistency.

Consistently good is what it takes to get it done.

It's all on Ben.

Jigawatts
10-28-2011, 08:16 AM
I say put the ball in Bens hands and give him a chance to win a shootout. Our defense
at the top of its game certainly couldn't beat the Pats. Time to let Ben do it.

Oviedo
10-28-2011, 08:17 AM
I say put the ball in Bens hands and give him a chance to win a shootout. Our defense
at the top of its game certainly couldn't beat the Pats. Time to let Ben do it.

I have more faith in Ben than I do the defense stopping Brady. Let Ben roll!!!!!!!!

steelfin
10-28-2011, 08:37 AM
There is no defense that stops Brady and the Pats offense on a consistent basis. Some may have done it for a game here or there...but nobody does it all the time.

The game will come down to the Steeler offense and the ability to control TOP and score touchdowns. Ben will obviously be a big part of this...

The offense will need to either run effectively or use a short passing game to achieve this. Hopefully this will also open up some deep balls to Wallace and others. If the defense stays fresh, they will have a chance at stopping the Pats on a series or two and maybe even some turn-overs.

However, if BA calls a bad game or Ben plays a bad game and the offense has a lot of 3 and outs the Steelers will take a beating....

williar
10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
This is just what I have been thinking, flippy. I am glad you brought it up instead of me.... You know, I haven't posted alot on this board, so that means, my post don't get taken seriously........ :wink:

This is perfect opportunity for Ben to take that next step. I'm not here to talk about the past (Mark Maguire). If our team is going to go to that next level, Good Ben is going to have to become a permanent fixture in this offense. I didn't get too excited when we were winning against Jax, AZ, Seattle, etc... If we can't finally rise up and beat (outscore) a team with an elite QB, what does that say for our future success. Those are the type of QB's we will have to face if we are going to win #7....

Many here believe Ben is elite. He's an 8 year veteran. He has the weapons, an improved OL, a better defense. Were at home, this is a pivitol game. This is the game our elite QB is supposed to win for us. If bad Ben shows up, I don't want to hear it...... :Blah :Blah :Blah

Dee Dub
10-28-2011, 11:17 AM
How can one say it is all on Ben? Do you just ignore the fact that on the other side of the field there is probably the most prolific passer and one of the best offenses the game has ever seen? The expectations and reality of some Steeler fans is unreal at times.

I think it is more on the Steelers defense than it is on anyone player. But that is just me. The Steelers can not win a shoot out versus the Patriots.

Steelers>NFL
10-28-2011, 01:47 PM
How can one say it is all on Ben? Do you just ignore the fact that on the other side of the field there is probably the most prolific passer and one of the best offenses the game has ever seen? The expectations and reality of some Steeler fans is unreal at times.

I think it is more on the Steelers defense than it is on anyone player. But that is just me. The Steelers can not win a shoot out versus the Patriots.

The only thing holding the Steeler's offense from playing at a high level is the play calling of BA. Does he call his "once in a while" smart game? Or his "typical" dumb WTF game?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-28-2011, 02:11 PM
"It's all on Ben ..."

Does that mean it's all on our Grade AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA offensive line?

rpmpit
10-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Do you think the big 4th quarter we had agains them last year was the result of us finally putting the game in Ben's hands (when it was obviously too late) ...or just garbage time points when the Pats knew the game was won. Or maybe a little of both??

In any case, I agree. Ben needs to have a great game for us to have a chance. I don't have a lot of faith in our D being able to apply the type of pressure that disrupts Brady. Hopefully we can slow him down enough to outscore them.

feltdizz
10-28-2011, 03:01 PM
It's all on Ben.. we go as he goes. If he plays great we will keep Brady off the field... of course the OL and WR's have to show up but I think we all know what "It's all on Ben means"

I also think Redman would help our ball control more than Mend would.

feltdizz
10-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Until the D proves they can stop Brady it's all on our O.

Northern_Blitz
10-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I think we will need to win the turnover battle to win this game. I don't think we'll need 4 TOs like BUF got, but without 1 or 2, I don't like our chances. Can our D deliver?

hawaiiansteel
10-28-2011, 03:49 PM
it will be very important that the OL also plays well, giving Ben time to throw and establishing some semblance of a running game...

Stopping Pats' Wilfork key

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 28, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-10-27/1028stwilfork-a.jpg

At first glance, it appears the Steelers should exploit New England's soft underbelly -- a pass defense ranked last in the NFL.

The Steelers' fleet-footed receivers -- Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown -- should prance and dance through a surprisingly jittery secondary that may cause New England's usually stoic coach Bill Belichick to flinch every time quarterback Ben Roethlisberger settles into the pocket Sunday at Heinz Field.

Unlike last season's 39-26 defeat, the Steelers might be able to keep up with the Patriots' run-and-gun offense.

But the Steelers are only cautiously optimistic, in part, because they will be challenged to run against a New England rush defense ranked fourth in the AFC and eighth overall.

So far, the Steelers have followed a familiar script during their 5-2 start. Their passing game is lethal even when they have only minimal success pounding the ball between tackles.

"They have a good play-action game, which comes off the running game," said New England coach Bill Belichick. "They can throw it with not very many receivers on the field, or they can put a lot of receivers on the field."

If the Steelers are to avenge last year's loss, running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman must make the most of their touches.

"If we come out running the ball, everything else will open up," tight end David Johnson said. "Last year, I don't remember us doing anything well. But we have to be strapped up and ready to go this time."

Whatever game plan the Steelers come up with, it will be greatly influenced by the Patriots' mammoth, yet agile 6-foot-2, 325-pound nose tackle, Vince Wilfork.

"He swallows up a lot of blockers," Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey said. "He paves the way for the linebackers to make a lot of plays. We've got to handle him. We've got to be ready to block him.

"The Patriots rely on him a lot, especially in the run game. In the passing game, it's a little bit different."

The Steelers are confident they can exploit the Patriots' pass defense if Pouncey can handle Wilfork. And Pouncey will get plenty of help from guards Ramon Foster and Chris Kemoeatu, partly because the Patriots usually leave the guards uncovered.

The Steelers' offensive front has been sporadic all season, mostly because of injuries. It played well in a 32-20 victory at Arizona last Sunday but has struggled against the NFL's best defensive linemen, including Baltimore nose tackle Haloti Ngata and Indianapolis defensive end Dwight Feeney.

The Steelers are averaging 117.9 rushing yards per game, which is eighth in the AFC. Mendenhall was largely shut down in a season-opening loss at Baltimore and in a last-second victory at Indianapolis. He faces a Patriots defense that yields 101.5 rushing yards per game.

Again, the challenge is to control and minimize Wilfork's ability to impact the game.

The Patriots use Wilfork in a variety of ways in their 3-4 defensive set, sometimes allowing him to drift into pass coverage in blitz situations. He has two interceptions along with 25 tackles this season.

"He's the one who sets the tone," Kemoeatu said. "Ngata might be better, but not by much."

Of course, the Steelers want to control the time of possession. They would like to dictate tempo and pace, thus forcing New England to rely on something akin to a half-court game instead of an offense that thrives on fast-break opportunities.

"We have to control the clock to keep Tom Brady off the field," Redman said. "It'll give our offense a chance to make adjustments."

Added Wallace: "When we're running, we have a chance. We don't want too many quick drives."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1c6FxBds6 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_764231.html#ixzz1c6FxBds6)

flippy
10-30-2011, 07:31 AM
This comment isn't just about this week. "It's All on Ben" is the mantra for our season and seasons to come.

As Ben goes, so goes the fortunes of this team.

If Ben can execute flawlessly week in and week out, it changes everything.

Even if our D is flawed, the other team will go 1 dimensional and have to play catch up. That means holding the ball longer and gives our pass rush time to hit the QB and make things happen.

If we can consistently put points on the board and take time off the clock, it changes how other teams have to play us.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Stopping Pats' Wilfork key

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 28, 2011 ...
"If we come out running the ball,everything else will open up," tight end David Johnson said. "Last year, I don't remember us doing anything well. But we have to be strapped up and ready to go this time."

"We have to control the clock to keep Tom Brady off the field," Redman said. "It'll give our offense a chance to make adjustments."

Added Wallace: "When we're running, we have a chance. We don't want too many quick drives."

OK, so in the other thread we learned a lot about LeBeau's game plan: not going to go after sacks at the expense of leaving holes in the middle of the field, which would then cause us to miss tackles and get slammed with a lot of YAC. Sounds like a good plan, as long as our receivers don't start with too big a cushion.

Now we read in Hawaiian's quoted article above what IMO is the best indication we've seen so far of the game plan on the offensive side. Paraphrasing (BA, take it away!!):

"Let's surprise them* ... start the game with RUTFM on two or three series, that'll confuse them, and soften them up also!".

Brilliant!
http://www.thebreweryoutlet.com/files/1690077/uploaded/shirt_guinness_brilliant.jpg

I'm doing my own game planning. I'm removing all throwable objects from the immediate and not-so-immediate vicinity of my TV chair. I can't afford a new TV right around now! I haven't quite figured out how to combine that strategy with drinking heavily, however - any suggestions? :lol: :lol:

Hmm, I wonder ... do you guys think maybe this is misinformation that the coaches are having the players throw out there, like Spy-vs-Spy, to throw off the *'s coaching staff?

pittpete
10-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Go no huddle all game.

the end :tt2

hawaiiansteel
10-30-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm doing my own game planning. I'm removing all throwable objects from the immediate and not-so-immediate vicinity of my TV chair. I can't afford a new TV right around now! I haven't quite figured out how to combine that strategy with drinking heavily, however - any suggestions? :lol: :lol:

pour your beer into plastic cups first, that way when you throw the cup at the tv after yet another one of Brucie's brilliant play calls there shouldn't be a lot of damage... :Cheers

feltdizz
10-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Ben put it on his shoulders today!

hawaiiansteel
10-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Ben put it on his shoulders today!

Ben certainly did: 36/50 for 365 yards, 2 TDs with the only negative being the one interception that led to a Pats* TD.