PDA

View Full Version : Big Snack could play this weekend

SteelCrazy
10-26-2011, 10:42 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post ... nfl-411238 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Steelers-Hampton-ready-to-return-?urn=nfl-411238)

Pittsburgh Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton hasn't been in the lineup for the past three games due to a shoulder injury, but the five-time Pro Bowler is scheduled to practice Wednesday, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, and should be back this weekend when the AFC North-leading Steelers take on the AFC East-leading New England Patriots. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Hampton "has taken a step" forward, the Tribune Review reports. "We could get him back in the fold and, of course, that would be a nice shot in the arm for us up front defensively." Meanwhile, it remains unclear what will happen with wide receiver Hines Ward , who sprained his right ankle Sunday. "Tomlin said the Steelers should have a better read on the 14th-year veteran after (Wednesday)," the paper reports.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
McLendon & Hoke were more visible and more of a disruptive force than Hampton so far this season. Not so sure him coming back is a good thing for the next two tough games unless it is just on a rotational basis.

ikestops85
10-26-2011, 12:36 PM
McLendon & Hoke were more visible and more of a disruptive force than Hampton so far this season. Not so sure him coming back is a good thing for the next two tough games unless it is just on a rotational basis.
:Agree

I was pleasantly surprised at the level Casey played at last year. Especially since he had just signed that big contract. The couple of years before that his play had noticeably declined.

Now it appears that last year was just an aberration. Casey is not the force he used to be in the middle. It seems that teams are able to move him backwards with very little effort. I definitely want McLendon to get the majority of the snaps this week so we can see how he does against a high powered offense.

steelz09
10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
I actually thought Hampton was the only DL that played 'ok' in the first few games. Everyone else on the DL was getting blown up.

With that being said, he might still be able to take on 2 blockers but he gets zero penetration. Especially in this game, we need someone that can push the pocket in. I would like to see McClendon get at least 50% of the defensive snaps at NT.

steelz09
10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
I actually thought Hampton was the only DL that played 'ok' in the first few games. Everyone else on the DL was getting blown up.

With that being said, he might still be able to take on 2 blockers but he gets zero penetration. Especially in this game, we need someone that can push the pocket in. I would like to see McClendon get at least 50% of the defensive snaps at NT.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I'd sit Casey for another week...for this game, we need a NT who can actually help collapse the pocket and possibly, at times, get some pressure on the QB.

SteelAbility
10-27-2011, 09:12 PM
I hope Hampton doesn't play. Hoke is 17-1 as a starter.

steeler_george
10-28-2011, 03:51 AM
THIS IS GREAT NEWS! Considering we are thin at nose tackle, Hoke is still injured.

If McClendon goes down (knock on wood) or needs a breather who plays nt? hood?
But I think we will more in the nickle and dime, where I believe the nose tackle is out. (correct me if i am wrong please)

:Agree But why 50% of the snaps, McClendon played steady last week, but not going to claim him as being a key asset. But, then again, we probably said the same about R Foster, who turned out to be a gift from heaven.

ROLROC
10-28-2011, 07:48 AM
hampton will be a non-factor if he's available. #90 is the man with #96 shifting over in the dime.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I'd sit Casey for another week...for this game, we need a NT who can actually help collapse the pocket and possibly, at times, get some pressure on the QB.

Without looking back at game tapes I would think that McLendon was not getting the same double teaming attention that Casey gets. We all remember the Ravens doubling Casey with the guard going ankle hunting after the C engaged him.

I think that the key improvements are in what the NT is surrounded by. Hood is playing much better than Smitty looked early on. Keisel has played great coming back, and Woodley has picked up his game. All three NTs have proven their value.

hawaiiansteel
10-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Sanders to replace Ward in starting lineup Sunday vs. Patriots

Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 1:34 pm
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

PITTSBURGH - With Hines Ward doubtful at best, Emmanuel Sanders will start at wide receiver for the Steelers on Sunday in their showdown with the Patriots.

Sanders, a second-year pro, told The Times after practice today that he'll be in the starting lineup.

"I feel good about it," Sanders said. "It's a great opportunity. And I'm looking to capitalize on it."

Ward, a 14th-year pro, suffered a low ankle sprain in last week's win in Arizona. Ward didn't practice Wednesday, Thursday or today.

Sanders made one start last season when the Steelers opened their Jan. 2 game in Cleveland in a three-receiver set.

Meanwhile, nose tackle Casey Hamtpon will return to the starting lineup after missing three games with a shoulder injury.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... f6878.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/sanders-to-replace-ward-in-starting-lineup-sunday-vs-patriots/article_d2e2a7a6-018b-11e1-a120-001a4bcf6878.html)

DukieBoy
10-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Belicheat will have him cut-blocked without mercy until he looks like that Dorf on Golf character.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Starting a NT who normally comes off the field against the pass against the biggest passing team in the league seems dumb. McLendon seems more agile and actually gets into the opponents backfield helping to collapse the pocket.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Starting a NT who normally comes off the field against the pass against the biggest passing team in the league seems dumb. McLendon seems more agile and actually gets into the opponents backfield helping to collapse the pocket.

Wow, that makes a lot of sense, unfortunately. The only positive I could think of having a NT who is not a get-in-the-backfield kind of guy is that since Hampton eats two lineman at a time, that would make it easier for Timmons or Woodley to get back there and do some damage.

:?: