PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady is telling others that he owns D!ck LeBeau

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 01:49 AM
On NFL Network tonight, New England Patriots Correspondent Ian Rapoport from the Boston Herald said Tom Brady is whispering to others this week that he owns D!ck LeBeau.

MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter: Well, Tom Brady does own D!ck LeBeau. Disrespectful-yes, but only if he said it publicly. Accurate-yes.

MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter: -- brady saying this quitely behind the scenes, but apparently not quiet or behind the scenes enough.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... /steelers/ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/)

Oviedo
10-26-2011, 06:55 AM
History would show that to be a pretty accurate statement. They just put up the stats on Mike and Mike: 4 wins and 1 loss, 12 TDs and 3 INTs. That is about as dominant as one player can be against another team.

LeBeau seems to called a "scared" game against the Pats going very passive.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-26-2011, 07:10 AM
We are gonna need our DL to have a great game.

Ghost
10-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Hard to be mad about it when the Pats have made the Steelers their b!tch for quite some time.

Eich
10-26-2011, 08:20 AM
I hope Richard and the whole D read this a play pissed off!

Eich
10-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Hard to be mad about it when the Pats have made the Steelers their b!tch for quite some time.

That fact in itself should piss the team off enough to do something about it. I can deal with losing to them. What I REALLY hate is when they do the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!!

JAR
10-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Brady, Heinz and Halloween. Doesn't Brady remember this? I predict a repeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb64e3gJkiw

BradshawsHairdresser
10-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Marcia DOES own LeBeau.

Hopefully LeBeau is open to doing something different--hopefully he decides to try to bring tons of pressure, and put some hits on Marcia starting early on. A few hard plants into the turf would, at least temporarily, wipe some of the smug from Ms. Brady.

LeBeau might have more confidence in his CBs to be able to cover than he has in past years. On the other hand, he might be worried, knowing that Ryan Clark, Larry Foote, and at this point, James Farrior, are really liabilities in coverage--and if you don't get to Brady with your blitzes, he will certainly find his open receivers.

Still, since the passive D hasn't worked in the past, I'd go for broke and be as aggressive in pressuring Brady as I could be. If Marcia beats us that way, at least we took our best shot--you know he would have beaten us with our normal defensive plan.

feltdizz
10-26-2011, 09:43 AM
In other news... "water is wet and the sky is blue"

If the D isn't already fired from getting b!tch slapped for the last 7 years on the field I don't see how his words would do it.

JAR
10-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Brady opened his mouth one other time too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmVMeMJgw8

Steelgal
10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Hopefully the Steelers can get the monkey off their backs and beat the Pats*, just like the ravens did in game one and beat Ben. Get to Tom early and often. Even if he doesn't get sacked, they need to bring constant pressure.

Oviedo
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
We are gonna need our DL to have a great game.

Won't matter if we only rush 3 or 4.

Oviedo
10-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Marcia DOES own LeBeau.

Hopefully LeBeau is open to doing something different--hopefully he decides to try to bring tons of pressure, and put some hits on Marcia starting early on. A few hard plants into the turf would, at least temporarily, wipe some of the smug from Ms. Brady.

LeBeau might have more confidence in his CBs to be able to cover than he has in past years. On the other hand, he might be worried, knowing that Ryan Clark, Larry Foote, and at this point, James Farrior, are really liabilities in coverage--and if you don't get to Brady with your blitzes, he will certainly find his open receivers.

Still, since the passive D hasn't worked in the past, I'd go for broke and be as aggressive in pressuring Brady as I could be. If Marcia beats us that way, at least we took our best shot--you know he would have beaten us with our normal defensive plan.

LeBeau won't do anything different. "His baby ain't ugly" and nothing will change his mind on that.

True greatness would be him putting together something completely different and catching the Patriots off guard.

Steelers>NFL
10-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Marcia DOES own LeBeau.

LeBeau won't do anything different. "His baby ain't ugly" and nothing will change his mind on that.

True greatness would be him putting together something completely different and catching the Patriots off guard.

That's the difference between LeBeau & Rex Ryan. Not saying Ryan is a better DC. BUt am saying, Ryam will mix it up. And he trusts his players in certain circumstances. Ryan is known to go all out on defense and "play to win", rather than play" not to lose". Which is what LeBeau seems to do against the Pats.

Northern_Blitz
10-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Sad to say that this is true.

Maybe we should start whispering behind the scenes that Tom Brady has sucked in the playoffs since he stopped cheating. Also true.

Shawn
10-26-2011, 11:24 AM
The ONLY way to beat Brady consistantly is to be able to bring pressure with less. If not Brady has to beat himself. The Giants proved this awhile back when they were able to get penetration with their front 4. If you sell the farm in order to get pressure, he will kill you. If you sit back and give him all day...again he will kill you.

My suggestion? Get your best pass rushers on that DL this week. Heyward, Hoke, and Hood should be starting. If you bring those guys and mix it up with 2 others...Troy, Timmons, Harrison and Wood...dropping others back in some odd zone coverages you have a shot. Traditional 3-4 thought process doesn't work on Brady ball. Lebeau needs to try something out of the box this week.

Slapstick
10-26-2011, 11:29 AM
The Giants blitzed a lot in that SB...it got Steve Spagnuolo a HC gig...

Mister Pittsburgh
10-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Steelers problem is they don't gameplan offensively or defensively to attack any one team. They may tweak a few things here or there but there is no gameplan to attack weaknesses. The Steelers view themselves as the bully that other teams have to come beat up and every team knows what we are going to do, on both sides of the ball.

Patriots are 32nd, dead last, against the pass. They are 5th against the run. A good OC would watch film on the Patriots defense and see just what players on their team have caused them to suck against the pass, what types of pass plays they struggle against, what type players they struggle to match up against, and create a gameplan around that.

So knowing they are 32nd vs. the pass and 5th vs. the run.....wouldn't a smart man develop a very, very, very, pass heavy attack and say to hell with 'balance'?

Anyone want to bet if we get a 10 point lead we start handing the ball to Spindenhall on first and second down to 'burn clock' only to punt the ball to the Pats because Spindenhall can't get yards, eventually lose the lead cause the Pats are going to score, and then attempt to get the offense back on track since we shut it down? Pretty much our M.O. so far.

Dee Dub
10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
...LeBeau might have more confidence in his CBs to be able to cover than he has in past years.

Let me ask you a question....if you have the games best SS (one of the games best of all time), who is probably one of the most athletic, versatile, game changing, strong safeties who has some of the best closing speed you have ever seen on one hand, and on the other a free safety who is inept in coverage, what type of coverage are you going to run with that more times than not?

Think about this, if you use this strong safety at or near box and line of scrimmage many times throughout a game, and even sometimes give him the chance to freelance on occasion, that leaves you with only one man deep for a lot of the game. If you dont have a free safety who can cover you are forced to play deep cover three (using your two corners and free safety), with your LB's dropping into a zone underneath more often than you would like. Or a deep cover one shell with man on the corners. Then that means you want your corners playing off the receiver and it prevents you from rushing your backers as often as you would like.

Personally I think it is a lack of confidence in LeBeau's safety than it is his corners.

ikestops85
10-26-2011, 12:29 PM

I don't think that is true. The Giants front four put tremendous pressure on Brady the entire game. If we can get pressure using just 4 people we will beat the *'s. We just aren't very good at doing that.

Does anybody else think Oveido is already writing his posts on how bad DL and his system are and how inept he is as a DC? :moon

:lol: :lol:

Slapstick
10-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't think that is true. The Giants front four put tremendous pressure on Brady the entire game. If we can get pressure using just 4 people we will beat the *'s. We just aren't very good at doing that.

Kavika Mitchell was in Brady's face for a lot of that game...

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Perhaps Brady just said "I own D!ck" and the powers that be in the NFL just added the "LeBeau" part just to cover their marquee QB's homosexual tendencies. We all know that Gisele as his wife is merely a P.R. cover-up (Tom is merely her shopping buddy, not her actual husband).

Sonny
10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Steelers problem is they don't gameplan offensively or defensively to attack any one team. They may tweak a few things here or there but there is no gameplan to attack weaknesses. The Steelers view themselves as the bully that other teams have to come beat up and every team knows what we are going to do, on both sides of the ball.

Patriots are 32nd, dead last, against the pass. They are 5th against the run. A good OC would watch film on the Patriots defense and see just what players on their team have caused them to suck against the pass, what types of pass plays they struggle against, what type players they struggle to match up against, and create a gameplan around that.

So knowing they are 32nd vs. the pass and 5th vs. the run.....wouldn't a smart man develop a very, very, very, pass heavy attack and say to hell with 'balance'?

Anyone want to bet if we get a 10 point lead we start handing the ball to Spindenhall on first and second down to 'burn clock' only to punt the ball to the Pats because Spindenhall can't get yards, eventually lose the lead cause the Pats are going to score, and then attempt to get the offense back on track since we shut it down? Pretty much our M.O. so far.Yup.

So at what point is it the HC's fault? People got on Cowher all the time for never adjusting. The Pats on the other hand, throw 80% of the time on us. And if we gameplanned against that and stopped their passing game? You better believe they would start handing it off to Green-Ellis.

I don't understand the stubborness.

We had two weeks to prepare for the Super Bowl. For two weeks, everyone was talking about how Rodgers would spread us out and pick us apart. That is exactly what happened. That is exactly what will happen this sunday.

It sucks guys, but our only chance of winning Super Bowls, and we can because we did it in 05 and 08, is avoiding elite spread offenses, because we sure as hell won't adjust to them.

Edit: ORRRRR, have Ben outgun these guys and win shootouts.

sentinel33
10-26-2011, 01:15 PM
It's up to the offense.

Plain and simple.

Has been for a while.

Let's see if they can get the job done.

Shawn
10-26-2011, 01:17 PM

All the talk from the talking heads after the game was about how the Giants were able to get pressure with their front 4. Obviously they blitzed as well. But, they were able to also get penetration when they were not blitzing. They kept pressure on Brady all day...with or without the blitz. And I think that is the take home message. Your DL must beat that Pats OL in order to have a good shot. If you don't you had better put up 35-40 points.

Dee Dub
10-26-2011, 01:34 PM
The ONLY way to beat Brady consistantly is to be able to bring pressure with less. If not Brady has to beat himself. The Giants proved this awhile back when they were able to get penetration with their front 4. If you sell the farm in order to get pressure, he will kill you. If you sit back and give him all day...again he will kill you.

My suggestion? Get your best pass rushers on that DL this week. Heyward, Hoke, and Hood should be starting. If you bring those guys and mix it up with 2 others...Troy, Timmons, Harrison and Wood...dropping others back in some odd zone coverages you have a shot. Traditional 3-4 thought process doesn't work on Brady ball. Lebeau needs to try something out of the box this week.

Disagree. And the traditional 3-4 has worked and beaten Brady (See 2004 and 2008). Also take a look at the 3-4 that Buffalo ran that recently beat the Pats.

The problem is, and I have said this a million times here, you either are all in with the 3-4 zone blitz or your not. When LeBeau has committed to rushing 5 and 6 (and sometimes even 7), after Brady he has been able to put pressure on him. When he has decided to rush only 3 and 4 Brady has killed the Steelers.

Go down swinging with the strength of your defense. You are built and set up as a 3-4 zone blitz so bring the heat after him.

Dee Dub
10-26-2011, 01:44 PM

That's because the Steelers on D aren't set up for that. When 3 of those 4 (Hood, Hampton, Keisel), arent really pass rushers, what can you expect? Now let's look at say the Colts and their 4-3. The two on the ends ( Freeney and Mathis), are pass rushers. They are made for getting after the QB. No matter what combination along that 3 man front for the Steelers is used, you are using guys who strength really isnt rushing the passer. Now some (Hood and Heyward), are better than others, but it still isnt their strength and plus you are asking them to apply this pressure inside the tackles which is a lot harder to do than off the edge.

So to counter that the Steelers have to bring either an extra backer or a DB. Send 5 more times than not and you will get pressure on Brady. And it still leaves you with 6 in coverage.

Sonny
10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
3-4 has worked and beaten Brady (See 2004 and 2008) 2008?

SteelCrazy
10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Brady: No 'magic dust' to beat Steelers

FOXBORO —Good defense, bad defense. It doesn't really matter. New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and the high-powered Patriots offense have been equal opportunity destroyers of defenses all season. Even the Pittsburgh Steelers, a team whose defense has consistently been among the NFL's best for years, isn't immune to being lit up by the Brady bunch. "It's just execution, guys getting open and us completing them," Brady said. "There's no special thing we do. There's no magic dust we put in our cereal in the morning, or anything like that. We just play really well, and that does pretty well against any defense." Maybe so, but what makes New England's success so surprising is that much of it comes in the passing game --an area where most teams struggle against Pittsburgh.

The Steelers come into Sunday's game with a defense ranked No. 3 in the NFL, and a pass defense that's giving up an NFL-low 171.9 yards through the air per game. Meanwhile, New England counters with an aerial attack that's generating an NFL-best 350.5 yards per game. And adding to the challenge will be the location: Heinz Field. It's a place where many a team has entered only to leave battered, bruised and defeated. Brady admits that if the Patriots aren't careful, the crowd can become a factor. "We always talk about, night before the game, in the meeting room, look around and say, 'This is all we got. This is all we need.' " Brady said. "If we make good plays, the crowd is not going to be a factor. If we don't, you better believe they'll be there all day long." They certainly played a role in a 34-20 loss in 2004, the last time the Pats lost on Heinz Field. "The better we play, the less factor they will be and there's less margin for error," Brady said. "You're playing in a place where you're very unfamiliar, and you're playing, they got their crowd noise, and they got a lot of energy is kind of, kind of focused on the home team." As much as the Black and Gold fans will have their say, ultimately the game will be won --or lost --by the players on the field. "Like in '08, we didn't play well and they kicked the crap out of us," Brady said. "In '04 they kicked the crap out of us. You gotta go in expecting to play our best game. If we don't, it's a long hard day. If we do, then we're confident we can get a win."

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Personally I think it is a lack of confidence in LeBeau's safety than it is his corners.

the Pats* are going to try to do everything they can to get Gronkowski and/or Hernandez matched up on James Farrior or Ryan Clark. I hope LeBeau has something up his sleeve or we will see the Pats* exploit this matchup all game long.

Dee Dub
10-26-2011, 02:29 PM
3-4 has worked and beaten Brady (See 2004 and 2008) 2008?

Yes the Steelers beat the Pats but Brady did not play that day. Sorry.

feltdizz
10-26-2011, 03:03 PM

Does anybody else think Oveido is already writing his posts on how bad DL and his system are and how inept he is as a DC? :moon

:lol: :lol:

The Giants had a delayed blitz... crazy as it sounds but they were rushing 4 and bringing a DB through the gaps. I doubt it would work if they had those 2 TE's like they have now.

Do what the Jets did... they did the exact opposite of what they usually did. They went zone. Whatever LeBeau did the last 5 years he needs to do the opposite.

Shawn
10-26-2011, 03:10 PM
While bringing 5 with the 5th being a DB is technically a blitz...it's still 5 on 5. The Giants were able to beat the "unbeatable" Pats because they matched up man on man in the trenches and beat them. And that is what needs to be done. You have to beat the Pats up in the trenches. Brady will pound the best of secondaries if you give him all day to do it. He will blow up the bring the farm blitzes. If you can show him complex zone coverage schemes while also getting in his face with minimal investment...you can beat him.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-26-2011, 03:19 PM
...LeBeau might have more confidence in his CBs to be able to cover than he has in past years.

Let me ask you a question....if you have the games best SS (one of the games best of all time), who is probably one of the most athletic, versatile, game changing, strong safeties who has some of the best closing speed you have ever seen on one hand, and on the other a free safety who is inept in coverage, what type of coverage are you going to run with that more times than not?

Think about this, if you use this strong safety at or near box and line of scrimmage many times throughout a game, and even sometimes give him the chance to freelance on occasion, that leaves you with only one man deep for a lot of the game. If you dont have a free safety who can cover you are forced to play deep cover three (using your two corners and free safety), with your LB's dropping into a zone underneath more often than you would like. Or a deep cover one shell with man on the corners. Then that means you want your corners playing off the receiver and it prevents you from rushing your backers as often as you would like.

I think you might be right about that. What a difference if we had a FS who could cover!
I'd like to see the Steelers make that one of their priorities in the draft next year. Who is on your radar that could step in and provide a boost to our D?

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Tom Brady has owned the Steelers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 26, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/t-bradyvssteelers.jpg?w=250

The Patriots and Steelers have been two of the most three successful teams in the NFL over the last decade, with the Colts also in the mix.

You’d think that the Patriots-Steelers would have a good rivalry because of that, but their matchups have been too one-sided to call it a true rivalry.

The teams have faced off in big games. But for whatever reason, D!ck Lebeau’s defense doesn’t seem to bother Tom Brady.

Greg A. Bedard of the Boston Globe has the numbers. Brady is 6-1 against Pittsburgh, with a regular season loss in 2004. In the six wins, Brady has 14 touchdowns and one interception. The last four games have included a 70.9 completion percentage, nine touchdowns, one pick, and a yards-per-attempt average of 8.79.

Brady is one of the best quarterbacks of all time, but this dominance is still a surprise. Those Steelers defenses, like this Steelers defense, ranked among the best in football.

Bedard believes the Steelers defense simply isn’t as good when you spread them out, which the Patriots do better than anyone. Pittsburgh only blitzed the Patriots seven times last year, which just isn’t “Steelers football.”

This Steelers defense has steadily improved despite increasing age and injuries. Nose tackle Casey Hampton could return this week, but James Harrison remains out. They rank first in the league in yards-per-attempt allowed, but that stat will be tested Sunday.

Some things in the NFL change every year, but the Steelers and Patriots are AFC contenders once again facing off in a big conference game.

If history is any indication, Brady should feel right at home Sunday in Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/26/brady-hopes-to-maintain-dominance-over-steelers/)

Eddie Spaghetti
10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
while I would love to beat the ***, I would trade a loss for wins the next two weeks. This game is a luxury to have at the end if needed. The division games will tell the tale.

that said, it will be interesting to see what DL chooses to do. Ovi should not forget that he has some pieces missing if he plays it close to the vest. I might press early and see if they can get off the line. Hernandez scares the hell out of me because he is a mismatch for anyone we can put on him. I'm just not sold on blitzing brady at every opportunity. This may be the game we miss timmons on the inside the most. Would have been nice for woirlds to give an option there.

I actually feel pretty good about this one.

Steel Life
10-26-2011, 05:47 PM
So...all discussion about strategy aside - did Brady really say that he "owns DLB" or not? If he did, then it's an incredibly arrogant thing to say & he needs to be called out publicly for it. We've heard all week about things that were said or not said on the field of play & whether it's bad form or not...to me, something like this is even more disrespectful because it isn't something that is taking place in the heat of battle. If true - & I stress "if" - this is just another example of why they are so hated & considered the "Eddie Haskel" of the NFL.

And one more thing...hasn't DLB won more Super Bowl's than the P*ts recently?

Dee Dub
10-26-2011, 05:58 PM

I think you might be right about that. What a difference if we had a FS who could cover!
I'd like to see the Steelers make that one of their priorities in the draft next year. Who is on your radar that could step in and provide a boost to our D?

T.J. McDonald USC son of former NFL player Tim McDonald. Maybe second round? Now..he isnt a top notch cover safety like Ed Reed but he does make plays. I would say he would be an upgrade in coverage over Clark. And he could eventually slide over to SS after Troy retires.

feltdizz
10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
The only way to shut Brady up is to beat him. If I had 12 TD's and 1 INT and had a 70 percent completion percentage I would be arrogant too.

Sugar
10-26-2011, 06:40 PM
The only way to shut Brady up is to beat him. If I had 12 TD's and 1 INT and had a 70 percent completion percentage I would be arrogant too.

This = $$

It ain't bragging if you can do it. Brady has done it, so I don't see what the problem is with him saying so.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
And one more thing...hasn't DLB won more Super Bowl's than the P*ts recently?

Correct. New England's last championship was in 2004 (SpyGate era). We've won two world titles and been to a third Super Bowl since then. Their only Super Bowl trip since 2004 was the loss to the Giants. Brady has lost 3 playoff games in a row.

fezziwig
10-26-2011, 08:26 PM
I hope Richard and the whole D read this a play pissed off!

Getting pissed won't make their cover skills, pass rush or Lebeau any better or smarter. They'll just be more pissed.

It's all true. He owned our defense under Cowher and now under Tomlin. It's Lebeau that needs to be accountable. Tomlin too since he is the head coach but the real problem is, Lebeau has never figured out how to stop him.

Sonny
10-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Never understood when people say "not arrogant if its true".

So an attractive/wealthy person can talk down to an ugly/poor person, calling them ugly/poor, because it is true?

Big Ben can walk into a restaurant and tell a server "I'm Big Ben, you're just a server", it is true, is it not?

Arrogance is arrogance, and most of the time arrogance isn't even about lying, because something, some success, or something made these people arrogant, Rubbing it in people's faces is arrogant and wrong, whether true or not.

Nowww, who am I to bash Brady when I support Big Ben, who is as humble as they come. :lol:

Steelhere10
10-26-2011, 09:32 PM
DL only blitzed 7 times last year. That is why he can't win with a strategy like that. To me this game will tell a lot on DL. If he is that stubborn to try that again, then change is necessary for next year.

Sugar
10-26-2011, 10:04 PM

So an attractive/wealthy person can talk down to an ugly/poor person, calling them ugly/poor, because it is true?

Big Ben can walk into a restaurant and tell a server "I'm Big Ben, you're just a server", it is true, is it not?

Arrogance is arrogance, and most of the time arrogance isn't even about lying, because something, some success, or something made these people arrogant, Rubbing it in people's faces is arrogant and wrong, whether true or not.

Nowww, who am I to bash Brady when I support Big Ben, who is as humble as they come. :lol:

A person can only talk down to you if you let them. If an attractive/wealthy person pointed out that I was ugly/poor it's no problem to me, because I know that it's true. It doesn't make me any less of a person. If they think it makes them better, that's on them, not me.

Is it arrogant for Brady to think, nay to say aloud that owns Mr. Richard? Maybe, but I don't see a problem with it at all. Every athlete is subject to the bonds of time. Brady is one of the top players in the NFL- for now. If this is how he enjoys it, that's on him and I won't begrudge him. IMO, it's up to the Steelers to shut him up (if they can).

Shoe
10-27-2011, 12:49 AM
It's up to the offense.

Plain and simple.

Has been for a while.

Unfortunately, :Agree

I have no faith in our D being able to even slow down the Cheats*. Our offense hasn't lit them up or even been able to rise to occasions mind you, but they have had some success (mostly late game albeit) moving the ball.

As to Brady's* remarks, like someone else said: (I hate him mind you) It's hard to be mad at him for telling truths.

NJ-STEELER
10-27-2011, 01:29 AM

Kavika Mitchell was in Brady's face for a lot of that game...

correct.
the difference is with the giants front 4, they dont blitz often. so, it surprised him

when he plays us, he knows the blitz is coming from somewhere and if we dont send more then 4, we dont get near him.

the giants D can apply pressure without someone blitzing

Steelers>NFL
10-27-2011, 08:03 AM
It's up to the offense.

Plain and simple.

Has been for a while.

I have no faith in our D being able to even slow down the Cheats*. Our offense hasn't lit them up or even been able to rise to occasions mind you, but they have had some success (mostly late game albeit) moving the ball.

As to Brady's* remarks, like someone else said: (I hate him mind you) It's hard to be mad at him for telling truths.
:Agree

But I do not think our offense is good enough to beat the Pats*.
When Belicheat has 2 weeks to prepare for our sometimes "inept" offense, to BA having 1 week to prepare, then this is not even close. Belicheat will make BA look like rinky dink football coach.

JAR
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Did part of his 'ownership' come from cheating?

Slapstick
10-27-2011, 09:06 AM
But I do not think our offense is good enough to beat the Pats*.
When Belicheat has 2 weeks to prepare for our sometimes "inept" offense, to BA having 1 week to prepare, then this is not even close. Belicheat will make BA look like rinky dink football coach.

...unless the offense executes.

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2011, 10:10 AM

"It's easy when you have the answers to the test."

-Tom Brady (in an interview before anyone knew about SpyGate)

feltdizz
10-27-2011, 10:39 AM

if you are ugly and poor how can you get mad when someone says you are ugly and poor? Make some money and then they can no longer say it. Money also has a way of making an ugly person attractive.

feltdizz
10-27-2011, 10:40 AM

"It's easy when you have the answers to the test."

-Tom Brady (in an interview before anyone knew about SpyGate)

I've looked for that interview and can't find it. Is it true or is this a rumor?

hawaiiansteel
10-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Why Tom Brady owns the Steelers

By James Walker
Oct. 26, 2011

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1026/nfl_g_brady_mb_576.jpg

Tom Brady will be looking to improve his career record against the Steelers to 7-1 on Sunday.

This is not opinion. This is fact.

Tom Brady owns the Pittsburgh Steelers. There is no simpler way to put it.

The New England Patriots' future Hall of Famer dominates the "Steel Curtain" defense like no other quarterback in NFL history. Brady beats Pittsburgh at Heinz Field. He beats Pittsburgh at Gillette Stadium. He owns the Steelers in the regular season and in the playoffs.

Brady is an impressive 6-1 all-time against Pittsburgh. He will look to add to that record Sunday when the Patriots (5-1) travel to meet the Steelers (5-2) in a possible playoff preview.

Brady is the one quarterback Pittsburgh's vaunted defense doesn't want to see on the opposing sideline. According to ESPN Stats & Information, he's thrown for 2,008 yards and 14 touchdowns, with only three interceptions against the Steelers.

Brady also has a 104.8 career passer rating versus Pittsburgh and a 67.8 completion percentage.

"It's just a terrible matchup for the Steelers," Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. explained. "Any time you design a defense or offense, you're going to have strengths and weaknesses. ... Their defense isn't a good fit for the Patriots. If you're just looking at the roster, you want to force the Steelers to play nickel. You want to take Casey Hampton off the field when he's healthy and replace him with William Gay. Hampton is a good player and Gay isn't. The Patriots have the weapons and the receiving threats to do that."

On paper, this looks like it will be a tough battle between New England's No. 1-ranked offense and Pittsburgh's third-ranked defense. But Brady's history with Pittsburgh proves that the battle may not be so tough after all.

Steelers defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau's zone-blitz scheme thrives off disguise and confusion. But Brady, 34, is so cerebral that he stays one step ahead of Pittsburgh.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1026/nfl_u_bradyfarrior_jh_300.jpg

Against the Steelers in 2010, Tom Brady was 30-of-43 for 350 yards and three touchdowns.

The most recent meeting in 2010 was a perfect example. Brady read Pittsburgh's defense like a book. He utilized short, decisive passes to carve up the Steelers and was 30-of-43 for 350 yards and three touchdowns.

Brady makes it look easy against Pittsburgh. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, now in his fifth season, has yet to beat Brady.

"He is just very good physically and mentally," Tomlin said this week. "He is very talented in both areas. He is tough to trick, he makes quick decisions, he has pinpoint accuracy and he has the arm to do the things he desires to do."

Schematically, Pittsburgh has a hard time adjusting to New England's multiple formations. For years the Patriots have used the spread offense to pick apart the Steelers' 3-4 defense. Other teams are starting to catch on. The Green Bay Packers did some of the same things to beat Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV this past February.

Pittsburgh's biggest strength is its front seven and its biggest weakness is cornerback depth. New England is able to dictate Pittsburgh's personnel groupings by putting three or more receivers on the field. Stud tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski often are moved outside the box and used as receivers. This forces Pittsburgh to go three- and four-deep at corner, while removing a linebacker or defensive lineman.

If Pittsburgh stays in its base defense, Patriots receivers like Wes Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski could have a field day against far-less athletic linebackers James Farrior, LaMarr Woodley and Larry Foote.

If Pittsburgh takes its linebackers off the field in favor of extra cornerbacks like William Gay and Keenan Lewis, New England will have an easier time running the ball with its deep stable of running backs. The Patriots are tied for 10th in the NFL in rushing and average 4.6 yards per carry.

There are no easy answers for the Steelers.

"Both teams know each other well, so I don't think there will be a ton of surprises here," Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said this week. "It will come down to preparation, execution and decision-making on game day."

It also doesn't help Pittsburgh that Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison will miss his fourth consecutive game with an eye injury. Getting to Brady is key, and Woodley (seven sacks) has been Pittsburgh's only consistent pass-rusher this year.

"I think [Harrison] is one of the top 10 or 15 players in the league, and now they're weaker at two positions," Williamson said. "Lawrence Timmons was a force on the inside. Now, he's disappeared on the outside. So they're much weaker there, and they're much weaker inside where Timmons used to be."

The key chess match in this game will be between Brady and Pittsburgh safety and reigning Defensive Player of the Year Troy Polamalu. Brady usually gets the best of Polamalu with his ability to make great pre-snap reads.

But Brady knows Polamalu is capable of making big plays at any time. Polamalu has 43 tackles and one sack this season.

"Troy is a phenomenal player," Brady said this week on WEEI radio in Boston. "I watched a bunch of his highlights with Coach Belichick yesterday in our film study. He's as good as he's ever been. He flies around the field. He's incredibly fast and instinctive. He covers a lot of ground out there. You have to keep your eyes on him on every play."

Giving the Patriots two weeks to prepare is bad news for opponents.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Belichick is 8-0 after the bye since 2003. The Patriots have the second-longest active win streak following the bye, trailing the Philadelphia Eagles, who have won 12 in a row.

"New England adapts week-to-week to their opponent better than anyone in league on both sides of the ball," Williamson said. "Where I think the Steelers are more like 'We're the Steelers, and we're just better than you.'"

The Steelers have won championships. But they haven't been better than the Patriots for a long time.

It will remain that way until Pittsburgh solves the Brady conundrum.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... e-steelers (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/33265/why-tom-brady-owns-the-steelers)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-27-2011, 08:03 PM
First post here for me on this fine long thread.

I don't have a problem with Marcia* saying he owns DL - IMO he does based on history, and he has the right to say that if he wants (he would even if it weren't true, the only difference being is that he would be laughed at).

The only caveat to that is that he illegally had our defensive signals for some of those games. But last year that wasn't the case. IMO, Marcia* beat us like a rented mule because of DL's 15-yard-cushion/expect-Brady*-to-make-a-mistake-along-the-course-of-a-12-play-drive-like-most-other-QBs-would defensive game plan.

IMO, we won't win if DL won't change.

IMO, year after year DL has the perfect defense for about 12 of the other 15 QBs in the league, and if we don't face one of them in any given year in the post-season, there's been a good chance historically we win the SB.

But if we do meet a Brady, Rodgers, etc., DLs defense is more likely to cause us to have a "pretty good year" instead. The playoff beat down of the '05 Colts was the aberration here, and that is one of the Steeler's finest moments in the history of their existence.

Just my :2c .

SteelAbility
10-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Ok, so Brady is saying he knows D!ck? :lol:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Not knows. Owns.

She* bought one at the Strap-on Shop.

:Boobs :lol:

brothervad
10-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I know people love Troy's playmaking capability. I am no exception to that...but one thing that was mentioned in last year's Pats game is that Troy can guess at times and be out of position.

Personally, I don't think we should freelance with Troy and do something schematically different.

I think my call would be have Troy look like he is freelancing but his basic job is owning the middle.

Take away Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Welker.

I have said this before...back in 1990 in the NFC Championship game between the 49ers and Giants in SF. Belechik employed some real different looks against Montana 1 to 2 down lineman rest of LB's/DB combinations.

They completely stymied what was a pretty well oiled machine.

I think there needs to be some unconventional schemes drawn up.

But I think that is what everyone is saying yet I doubt it will happen.

Definition of insanity...my hope is Lebeau isn't insane

brothervad

Sonny
10-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Ahh, how this world would be if everyone actually did tell the truth and not be so fake and politically correct. I'm gonna have a "truth" day, and tell everyone I see the truth about how they look, how their wife looks, the crappy car they drive, everything.

I'll be lucky to ever post here again.

@SASteelerfan, I think the Colts playoff game had more to do with his playoff history. A lot of teams baffle Peyton in the playoffs, to the tune of a losing record for him. It was a great performance, but he has never had a game against us where he played as well as Brady's worst game against us(or Rodgers)

You have Peyton Manning, and you have Peyton Manning in the playoffs.

You are correct in that we can win titles with DL, we just have to avoid 3 guys. Brady, Rodgers, and Brees.

I am hoping we now have enough firepower to match these guys score for score in a shootout, because our D sure isn't going to stop them, and I don't like the idea of having to "avoid" certain teams, either.

SteelCrazy
10-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Are Steelers too stubborn to learn from mistakes?

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

This is a story about evolution and exploitation.

Can the Pittsburgh Steelers’ great 3-4 defense evolve to avoid being exploited by the likes of Tom Brady(notes) and other high-profile quarterbacks who have picked the Steelers apart since 2006? That’s the theme Sunday when New England visits Pittsburgh. This is the only game the Steelers have during the regular season against a quarterback who can run the four-wide formation with stunning efficiency.

These are the two most dominant franchises in the NFL over the past decade. They have combined to represent the AFC in seven of the past 10 Super Bowls, winning five. History is nice, but it ignores one significant issue for Pittsburgh: If the Steelers don’t figure out a way to handle the constant spread-formation offenses they face against really good quarterbacks like Brady, Aaron Rodgers(notes) and Drew Brees(notes), their chances of winning another Super Bowl could become extinct.

As noted by Yahoo! Sports before the last Super Bowl, Brady, Rodgers and Brees have lit up the Steelers over the past five seasons. That point was galvanized in a 31-25 loss to the Packers and Rodgers in the title game. Rodgers completed 24 of 39 passes for 304 yards and three touchdowns on the way to being named the game’s MVP.

Pittsburgh players and coaches counter that by saying it took a couple of superhuman throws by Rodgers to secure that win. If Rodgers didn’t hit one of two clutch tosses in traffic to Greg Jennings(notes), the game likely would have turned out differently, the argument goes.

That point ignores the bigger picture. Since 2006, the Steelers are 3-6 in games against Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton Manning(notes), Eli Manning(notes) and Kurt Warner(notes). Moreover, they have allowed 30 points or more in five of those nine games and at least 20 in all of them. Those quarterbacks have combined for a stunning 106.3 rating (248 completions on 382 attempts, 2,955 yards, 23 touchdown passes and only two interceptions).

Dick LeBeau, Pittsburgh’s Hall of Fame defensive coordinator, was unfazed by those numbers. As he talked about it in August during training camp at St. Vincent’s College, he seemed more perturbed by the afternoon rain.

“I don’t think you’re going to see a substantial change in how we do things,” LeBeau said, a light smile opening across his face. “Those quarterbacks have hurt a lot of people. That’s why they are so good … I don’t really worry about a lot of the numbers. I only worry about how many points they score and whether we have more than they do by the end of the game.”

Likewise, safety Troy Polamalu(notes) explained succinctly why it’s unlikely for the Steelers to substantially change what they do.

“We’re not built to sit back in coverage and wait for the quarterback to decide,” Polamalu said. “What we do is force the quarterback to decide faster.” He then shrugged his shoulders slightly and said, “We either get there before he gets rid of it or we don’t.”

Mostly, the Steelers haven’t been winning that race, particularly against Brady. In the aforementioned nine games, the Steelers have only 11 sacks. In the two against Brady, they have zero as he has picked the Steelers apart. Brady has completed 62 of 89 passes for 749 yards, seven touchdowns and zero interceptions in two games against Pittsburgh since 2007, when the Patriots started using more four-receiver formations as the base of their offense. New England has won those two games by an average of 17 points.

The game last year wasn’t as close as the 39-26 score indicated. Pittsburgh was down 23-3 going into the fourth quarter. Brady finished with three touchdown passes, all to tight end Rob Gronkowski(notes), and scrambled for another.

“What the Steelers have always done is try to make the quarterback think faster than he’s used to and force a mistake,” an NFC offensive assistant coach said. “It’s really as simple as that. Now, the way they do it is complicated. They’re erratic by intention. But if you have a quarterback who can think faster than they can, who can recognize the holes in the defense, you can get to them because they’re not going to sit back in a bunch of umbrella zones and rush two people.

“It’s just not who they are.”

At least it hasn’t been who the Steelers have been to this point. One might think that nine straight games of getting torched might cause the Steelers to rethink their approach at least slightly.

Certainly, other teams have taken different approaches against Brady. Last year in the AFC playoffs, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan and his players baffled Brady by dropping into coverage much more than going after him. While the Jets eventually got five sacks and one interception, it was largely because Brady was forced to hesitate so much, not because the Jets got to him so quickly.

Over the past two games, Ryan and his brother Rob, who is the defensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys, have done that again. While both the Jets and the Cowboys lost, they sacked Brady a total of seven times, intercepted him three times and held the high-scoring Patriots to their two lowest-scoring games of the season. In fact, it took a last-minute drive by Brady to beat Dallas.

When you throw in the fact that both of the Ryans run primarily 3-4 defenses, you have to wonder if the Steelers might finally take a hint and do a little more coverage.

LeBeau just smiles at the thought.

“We’ve been pretty successful around here for a long time with the way we do it,” LeBeau said

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=j ... eel_102711 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_steelers_patriots_spread_achilles_heel_102711 )

Oviedo
10-28-2011, 08:16 AM
It's up to the offense.

Plain and simple.

Has been for a while.

:Agree If we don't do something very different on defense not sure that the outcome will be any different that 6 of the past 7 games.

Slapstick
10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Why does everybody completely ignore the three turnovers by the Steelers and the defensive TD by the Packers in the SB?

Did Aaron Rodgers make some good throws? Sure...

Were those throws the difference in the game? No...

BradshawsHairdresser
10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Why does everybody completely ignore the three turnovers by the Steelers and the defensive TD by the Packers in the SB?

Did Aaron Rodgers make some good throws? Sure...

Were those throws the difference in the game? No...

Yeah, but how many of Rodgers' passes did his receivers DROP in that contest? Packers could have easily dropped 40+ points on us in that game. And if they played us again today, they likely WOULD score 40+, if we went in with the same defensive philosophy.

The above cited article on LeBeau tells you all you need to know. He ain't changing the way he plays D for anybody. While teams like the Cheats come up with a different defensive plan for each team they face, "we do what we do," and that's that. And that's why, unless our offense has it's game of the year, the Patriots will beat us again this coming Sunday.

Sonny
10-28-2011, 11:22 AM
"We're not built to sit back and let the QB decide"

Isn't that what we want them to do?

Brady had all day against us last year.

Sonny
10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I think the problem is, that he DOES change the way we play against NE and GB, and we don't like it.

Now, i'd like to see him back up his words and do what he does.

NJ-STEELER
10-28-2011, 05:00 PM
we've seen other 3-4 defenses give him trouble in the past...jets and ravens and some this year (dallas)

so are we doing something differnet then them or are those defenses just better then ours

feltdizz
10-28-2011, 06:46 PM
we've seen other 3-4 defenses give him trouble in the past...jets and ravens and some this year (dallas)

so are we doing something differnet then them or are those defenses just better then ours
Jets have better DB's then we do and switched from man to man to zone to beat Brady.

Baltimore runs a 4-3 right? Ngata is better than any of our DL's and we all know what Suggs can do. Welker was out too so that played a part.

Dallas has great DE's, not sure about the DB's or scheme, I missed that game.

I don't think Brady has all day to throw I think he has so many options underneath it appears like he has all day. The flat is always open and that's where he makes his money.

I think this is a game where we need to dare him to beat us over the top.

NJ-STEELER
10-29-2011, 12:13 AM
baltimore switches it up, but they run 3-4 a lot of the time. and use a lot of the zone blitz schemes lebeau is known for using

as far as dallas ,i dont think they have great DE's. we've been comparable (probably better then them) at that position in the time span brady has owned us. they were able to get pressure on him mand make him look uncomfortable

the jets have beat him 3 times in the past 2 seasons. its not just one way that they beat him. one time they blitzed him to death (rex 1st win vs. BB) and another (playoffs last year) they dropped 8 back and smothered his short routes for most of the game

SteelAbility
10-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Not knows. Owns.

She* bought one at the Strap-on Shop.

:Boobs :lol:

:lol:

hawaiiansteel
10-30-2011, 03:25 AM
Steeler D saves its talking for the field

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 30, 2011

Responding like the seasoned cornerback he is, Ike Taylor treated the question as if it were a quarterback's pump fake.

He didn't bite when asked about the Ryan Clark hit that flattened Wes Welker three years ago at Gillette Stadium. The Steelers cornerback smiled before not answering the question. "I was about to say something," Taylor said, "but I don't even remember."

Taylor's reticence indicated that the Steelers defensive players saved their talking for 4:15 p.m. today, when a familiar nemesis stares them down at Heinz Field.

And if they are to prevent New England quarterback Tom Brady from improving to 7-1 lifetime against them, the Steelers are going to have to make sure their secondary isn't under siege.

The Steelers did not divulge their intentions for countering Brady. But a significant part of their plan appears to hinge on conceding that Brady is going to get his completions and that the Steelers need to limit the damage after the two-time NFL MVP connects with a receiver.

That is why the acronym YAC was used frequently in Steelers meeting rooms last week, particularly the one in which the defensive backs gathered.

YAC is short for yards after the catch, and, according to StatsPass.com, New England leads the AFC in yards after the catch (1,016). The Patriots trail only New Orleans (1,229) and Green Bay (1,158) across the league, and they have played one fewer game than both of those teams.

Wes Welker leads all receivers with 397 yards after the catch, according to Stats LLC. He is second in the league with 13 catches of at least 20 yards.

Welker's ability in the open field is why "tackle the catch" was an oft-used refrain at the Steelers' South Side facility.

Yet defending the Patriots' passing game on the front end may be more difficult than doing so on the back end.

"When (Brady) can stand in the pocket and pick his guy to throw to, that's a completion," said Clark, the Steelers' starting free safety.

What makes Brady even more vexing: He can neutralize the rush by releasing ball quickly. The perennial All-Pro did that adroitly in the Patriots' 39-26 win over the Steelers last season and walked off the field with one of the cleaner jerseys in the stadium.

"If he's getting rid of it quick, your pressure's not going to get there," Steelers defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau said. "But we should be able to see the ball and get to our areas of responsibility, and then it's going to be very important that we tackle the man with the football."

The Steelers are aiming to do more than that. They are also looking to disrupt New England's passing game by making Patriots receivers somewhat cautious when roaming the middle of the field. Clark's devastating hit on Welker the last time the Steelers beat the Patriots 33-10, in 2008 may serve as an extreme example of what the Steelers hope to do. But they intend to exact a toll from Patriots receivers and hope the cumulative effect takes some of air out of New England's passing game.

"That's my plan, to be as physical as possible whenever you're tackling," Clark said. "They're not big guys, so if we can be more physical in tackling with them, make them think about running in a lot of heat, maybe it will be better for us."

LeBeau agreed.

"You want to impose your will on the other person," said LeBeau, who is inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a cornerback. "Games are usually decided in the NFL in the fourth quarter, so anything you can do to slow that guy down legally, it's a good thing."

The latest installment of the Patriots-Steelers rivalry pits the No. 1 passing offense against the No. 1 passing defense. The Steelers yield 171.9 passing yards per game, while the Patriots average 350.5 passing yards per game.

"I know you probably don't care about that," Brady told reporters, referring to the Steelers' pass-defense ranking, "but they're pretty damn good, if you ask me."

The secondary still has its detractors, but the Steelers did not frame today's game as Brady versus their defensive backs.

That is because the secondary is merely a subset of pass defense, particularly when it comes to a quarterback as accomplished as Brady.

"There's no way we five or six guys that are sometimes in the game can stop them from moving the ball," Clark said of the Steelers' defensive backs. "They're going to work Wes Welker on linebackers, and also a big part of it is getting pressure on Tom Brady. We need a total effort from 11 guys to stop these guys."

The Steelers haven't gotten enough of that since Brady emerged in 2001 and raised the bar for all players picked 199th overall in the NFL Draft, as he was in 2000 out of Michigan.

Nose tackle Casey Hampton, who is returning from a shoulder injury after missing three games, may not be on the field much today given how often New England throws. But Hampton has seen the Steelers beat the Patriots twice in eight games since he joined the team in 2001 (Brady didn't play in one of those wins). And he knows the one thing that Steelers can't do is get away from who they are.

"You can't put a team on a pedestal and say you're going to play them different. Who cares, man? You've just got to go out there and play," Hampton said. "Everybody talks about how great they are, this and that. I think a lot of people get involved with trying to do too much against them instead of just doing what you do."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1cEwHY3cU (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_764622.html#ixzz1cEwHY3cU)

papillon
10-30-2011, 08:14 AM
"You can't put a team on a pedestal and say you're going to play them different. Who cares, man? You've just got to go out there and play," Hampton said. "Everybody talks about how great they are, this and that. I think a lot of people get involved with trying to do too much against them instead of just doing what you do."

I think Tom Brady would welcome the Steelers trying "to do, what they do"; he's proven he can comfortably win that type of game. I'm not saying to completely throw "what they do" out the window, but they need to find a way to add a wrinkle or two for which the Patriots may not be prepared.

In the end, the offense is going to have to be prolific today (IMO) and the defense will need to make a couple stops. The final score will probably be in the high 30s.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-30-2011, 08:53 AM

Sunday, October 30, 2011

What makes Brady even more vexing: He can neutralize the rush by releasing ball quickly. The perennial All-Pro did that adroitly in the Patriots' 39-26 win over the Steelers last season and walked off the field with one of the cleaner jerseys in the stadium.

"If he's getting rid of it quick, your pressure's not going to get there," Steelers defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau said. "But we should be able to see the ball and get to our areas of responsibility, and then it's going to be very important that we tackle the man with the football."...

This is as close to the defensive plan that I think we've heard all week. DL is a smart guy, so I KNOW that if he is going to plan on defending against the quick release plays by tackling the guy immediately with a goal of 0 YAC - that he won't be playing his receivers 10 -15 yards off the line ... right???

Because if he does, we ought to just settle in and be prepared to see our defense worn down by a VERY large number of 6 yard completions. That would be one of those games where the QB stat of Yards Per Completion is meaningless in terms of the outcome of the game.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Sunday, October 30, 2011

"That's my plan, to be as physical as possible whenever you're tackling," Clark said. "They're not big guys, so if we can be more physical in tackling with them, make them think about running in a lot of heat, maybe it will be better for us."

LeBeau agreed.

"You want to impose your will on the other person," said LeBeau, who is inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a cornerback. "Games are usually decided in the NFL in the fourth quarter, so anything you can do to slow that guy down legally, it's a good thing."...

How many 15-yard "defensive receiver" penalties do you think we're going to get thrown at us?

Actually, didn't the refs actually throw someone out of a game this past week for doing just that? I think if it were only 15 yards, someone like Clark might strategically decide when to make that hit. But getting thrown out ... that makes it a very different decision.

I wonder how LeBeau is going to "calibrate" that aggressiveness they are talking about ...

feltdizz
10-30-2011, 10:32 AM
baltimore switches it up, but they run 3-4 a lot of the time. and use a lot of the zone blitz schemes lebeau is known for using

as far as dallas ,i dont think they have great DE's. we've been comparable (probably better then them) at that position in the time span brady has owned us. they were able to get pressure on him mand make him look uncomfortable

the jets have beat him 3 times in the past 2 seasons. its not just one way that they beat him. one time they blitzed him to death (rex 1st win vs. BB) and another (playoffs last year) they dropped 8 back and smothered his short routes for most of the game

Dallas has great DE's when it comes to rushing the QB. They make the pocket uncomfortable for a QB by rushing upfield and forcing the QB to step up in the pocket and it's a perfect recipe for a delayed blitzed to get to Brady. The Giants also did this and had success...

We can mimmick the 4-3 but it's not the same thing and we've seen Brady beat us with ease while struggling with other DL's that we think aren't as good as ours. Getting pressure with the front 4 is much easier on a D than trying to get pressure with 1 or 2 LB's. I think we may see a better rush wth McClendon, Hoke, Ziggy and Keisel. If we rely on our LB's it won't work because the RB and Welker will chip and release or force them to drop in coverage.

IMO Ware and the other DE or damn near any effective DE's in a 4-3 will be more effective than Harrison and Woodley because they have one job while our LB's have to drop and cover half the time.

If we try to rely on making tackles after they catch the ball we already lost. We need to break up those passes or get a few INT's. You don't beat Btady by letting him complete passes. The RB and Welker aren't fast butthey are shifty enough to make the first man and move the chains.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-30-2011, 10:46 AM

If we try to rely on making tackles after they catch the ball we already lost. We need to break up those passes or get a few INT's. You don't beat Btady by letting him complete passes. The RB and Welker aren't fast butthey are shifty enough to make the first man and move the chains.

You do realize you are saying flat out that the strategy LeBeau said he will use for this game is wrong, right? He said (per his quotes higher up in this thread) he's going to focus on beating Brady* by limiting YAC, not by punching him in the mouth.

Do you think LeBeau is just throwing misinformation out to confuse the * game planners, or do you actually disagree with him?

NTTAWWT, but I was just wondering!

Steeler Shades
10-30-2011, 10:52 AM
In the end, the offense is going to have to be prolific today (IMO) and the defense will need to make a couple stops. The final score will probably be in the high 30s.
Have to agree. Patsies have averaged 30.1 points against us since Brady became a starter. Ben and the offense need to "assume" they are going to need at least 31+ points to be in this game. IMHO...a conservative offensive game plan just isn't going to get it done today.

It would also be extremely helpful if Dick LeBeau and our defense could help out with some TOs and possibly reducing that 30.1 number to something in the low 20s. Unfortunately, based on our previous history I'm just not sure the D can contain the Pats to less than 30 points. Ben needs to have a really good game this afternoon.

Let's Go Steelers! 8)

feltdizz
10-30-2011, 11:02 AM

You do realize you are saying flat out that the strategy LeBeau said he will use for this game is wrong, right? He said (per his quotes higher up in this thread) he's going to focus on beating Brady* by limiting YAC, not by punching him in the mouth.

Do you think LeBeau is just throwing misinformation out to confuse the * game planners, or do you actually disagree with him?

we are 1-4 vs Brady the last 5 games... it won't work. How many times have we seen the Pats throw underneath and run for first downs. Unless we get Brady rattled by knocking him on his azzz a few times it will be another easy win for the Pats.

feltdizz
10-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Have to agree. Patsies have averaged 30.1 points against us since Brady became a starter. Ben and the offense need to "assume" they are going to need at least 31+ points to be in this game. IMHO...a conservative offensive game plan just isn't going to get it done today.

It would also be extremely helpful if bad word LeBeau and our defense could help out with some TOs and possibly reducing that 30.1 number to something in the low 20s. Unfortunately, based on our previous history I'm just not sure the D can contain the Pats to less than 30 points. Ben needs to have a really good game this afternoon.

Let's Go Steelers! 8)

Ball control offense will win this game. Please oh please use Redman in this game, he will move the chains.

Shoe
10-30-2011, 01:49 PM

we are 1-4 vs Brady the last 5 games... it won't work. How many times have we seen the Pats throw underneath and run for first downs. Unless we get Brady rattled by knocking him on his azzz a few times it will be another easy win for the Pats.

It's not impossible either. Rob Ryan has effectively contained the Patriot* offense with two teams in consecutive years... one with the putrid Brownstains!

But as you say, it will be another EASY win for the Pats* if we sit back and do exactly what you said.

NJ-STEELER
10-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Dallas has great DE's when it comes to rushing the QB.

who? spears and ohshansky?

we've been better at the DE spot and it doenst stop brady like they did last week.

their pressure comes from their OLBs mostly...just like us

hawaiiansteel
10-30-2011, 03:17 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1jt4ixlh]baltimore switches it up, but they run 3-4 a lot of the time. and use a lot of the zone blitz schemes lebeau is known for using

Dallas has great DE's when it comes to rushing the QB.

who? spears and ohshansky?

we've been better at the D#E spot and it soenst stop brady like they did last week.

their pressure comes from their OLBs mostly...just like us[/quote:1jt4ixlh]

Marcus Spears and Kenyon Coleman are the starting DEs for the Dallas Cowgirls and between them have only one of Dallas' 17 sacks for the season.

NJ is right, virtually all of the pressure comes from OLBs Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware who have eleven of Dallas' 17 sacks.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Marcia...

YOU DON'T OWN LEBEAU ANY MORE!
:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

And kudos to LeBeau for a job well done! I didn't think he had it in him. Thankfully, I was wrong.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Marcia...

YOU DON'T OWN LEBEAU ANY MORE!
:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

And kudos to LeBeau for a job well done! I didn't think he had it in him. Thankfully, I was wrong.

:Agree :Agree

Steelgal
10-30-2011, 07:59 PM
I gotta say I think having some of the younger guys step in and played was huge. I love Farrior and ward, but there best days are behind them.

hawaiiansteel
10-31-2011, 02:30 PM
By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Monday, October 31, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1352312/38596158E.jpg

Brady is used to having his way with the Steelers, but the New England quarterback had his worst statistical performance of the season (198 yards) Sunday. He attributed that to seeing more man-to-man defense from the Steelers.

Typically a zone team, the Steelers played almost exclusively tight man coverage throughout the game.

"They played more man than what they showed all year," Brady said. "The way you beat man is you make plays against it and get them out of it. We didn't do enough of that."

Brady's longest pass was 23 yards to Rob Gronkowski, and Wes Welker was held to 39 yards receiving. He entered the game averaging 124 yards.

"They had some blitz zone mixed in there," Welker said. "They did a good job all the way around. We have to be better than what we were."

The Steelers turned up the pressure on Brady, blitzing him 20 of the 37 times he dropped back to pass.

"It is a lot of pressure, and you have to stand up to the pressure and complete tight throws, and we just didn't do it," Brady said. Last year, the Steelers blitzed Brady just seven times in a 39-26 loss.

The Patriots were unusually inefficient and flustered on offense, partly because the Steelers effectively disguised their coverage schemes. Quarterback Tom Brady, feeling the heat from Woodley, was forced to hold the ball longer than usual because defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau deployed six defensive backs — William Gay, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy and Keenan Lewis. Polamalu tucked in behind the linebackers before peeling back in coverage.

"We used our dime package because those guys can score at will," Lewis said. "We definitely knew we could guard those guys. I feel we have the best receiving corps in the league, and practicing against those guys prepared us for this game."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1cNTjkRl2 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_764717.html#ixzz1cNTjkRl2)

SteelAbility
10-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Now it's apparent Tom doesn't know D!ck. :lol:

DukieBoy
10-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Feelin' a whole lot of pride in the Steelers. What a great, gutsy game plan, mostly well executed.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

After further review … (Steelers vs. Patriots)

November 2nd, 2011

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Patriots game on my DVR.

We all are quick to give credit to D!ck LeBeau and the Steelers’ defense on what he was able to do to bring the great Tom Brady to his knees, and deservedly so.

To totally flip the script and go almost exclusively press man with a deep safety to protect the deep ball was absolute genius by LeBeau.

It forced Brady to do a pre-snap read and stick with it rather than go through his progression to find the open receiver, which we all knew Brady is deadly doing.

Looking back on it now, it was brilliance because the Patriots really don’t have much talent on offense other than Brady and a couple of tight ends.

Even though LeBeau’s plan was flawless, Bruce Arians’ game plan was even better.

The Steelers’ offense have been predicated on throwing the ball deep to make splash plays and get quick scores.

The Patriots knew that, and coupled with very average-to-bad defensive backs, Bill Belichick had no choice but to play off coverage and keep two safeties deep regardless of what the Steelers were doing.

Going short with passes was Ben Roethlisberger’s best option, and he never strayed from that, and the Pats never adjusted – or better yet, couldn’t adjust.

Roethlisberger threw the ball in the air an average of 6.3 yards per pass play against the Patriots.

Take away two 33-yard blatant throw-aways, and that numbers dips down to 5.3 yards in the air per pass play.

That number is ridiculous, but very effective.

Here are the Roethlisberger’s throws and how far they traveled in the air: 7, 8, 4, 3, -2, 5, 8, 2, 3, 5, 10, 0, 5, 5, 17, -2, 2, -2, 8, 14, 0, 10, 14, -1, 5, 1, 10, 13, -3, 5, 5, 33, 0, -2, 4, 15, 17, 20, 5, 4, 7, 16, 3, 4, 0, 5, 6, 0, 33, -2.

* If Ike Taylor doesn’t make the Pro Bowl this year then there is something really wrong.

Week after week he shuts down the opposition’s best, and the Patriots Wes Welker isn’t only one of the best, he presented a new challenge for Taylor.

Covering a small and speedy receiver in the slot is very different than covering big, strong guys on the outside.

Taylor allowed Welker to catch only 4 passes for 23 yards.

Early on, it appeared the Steelers weren’t going to subject Taylor to covering Welker in the slot at all.

Regardless of pass, run or even a penalty wiping out the play before it started, Taylor lined up on Welker only six times during New England’s first three series (17 plays).
After that, Taylor lined up opposite Welker 18 times in a row when Welker was in the game, and 31 of the final 35 plays when Welker was in the game.

All in all, Taylor lined up across Welker and play straight man-to-man coverage on 37 of 57 plays.

Here’s the updated Taylor catch allowed list at the midway point:

Wes Welker, New England 4-23 yards
Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona 3-58 yards
Andre Johnson, Houston 3-23 yards
Nate Washington, Tennessee 2-11 yards
Rob Housler, Arizona 1-20 yards
Jason Hill, Jacksonville 1-18 yards, TD
Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis 1-11 yards
Deion Branch, New England 1-10 yards
Mike Williams, Seattle 1-9 yards
Damian Williams, Tennessee 1-8 yards
Mike Thomas, Jacksonville 1-3 yards
Pierre Garcon, Indianapolis 1-(-2) yards

* Arians finally decided to run some to the left against the Patriots.

The Steelers ran eight times to the left for 43 yards and 15 times to the right for 55 yards.

* A lot of credit for this win has to go to the offensive line.

Easily, it was the best effort by the five guys up front, but we actually should’ve expected it.

What the Steelers’ offensive line is good at is being road graters – moving people out of the way. Those guys are pretty darn big up front and always do well against a bigger defensive line.

And it is pretty hard to get any bigger than Vince Wilfork, Albert Haynesworth and Gerard Warren.

Ramon Foster totally handled Wilfork time and time again with help occasionally from Maurkice Pouncey.

Sure, Roethlisberger was sacked five times, but let’s look at these sacks.

Andre Carter’s first sack came six seconds after the ball was snapped; his second came four seconds; and Wilfork’s came after five seconds. Safe to say you blame those on the quarterback.

The other two came on the last series when Roethlisberger didn’t want to throw the ball away and accepted the sack.

How good the line played against the Pats probably will be how bad they will play against the Ravens.

The Ravens have much, much more speed on the outside and inside, and that is something the Steelers have trouble dealing with.

* There was some talk that Wilfork’s hit on Roethlisberger in the first quarter should’ve been a roughing the pass penalty.

Well, it wasn’t, and shouldn’t have been a penalty.

Look close and you will see tackle Marcus Gilbert delivering a blow to Wilfork’s back that propelled the 400-pounder into Roethlisberger.

* I am sure some Steelers aren’t going to be happy Wednesday when they get to their locker.

Surely there will be numerous fines handed out by the league to the Steelers, and rightfully so.

Here is my list of who might get fined:

? Chris Kemoeatu: Hands to the face of Gerard Warren
? Ryan Clark: Helmet-to-facemask hit on the first play of the third quarter on BenJarvus Green-Ellis.
? Clark: Personal foul helmet-to-helmet penalty on Rob Gronkowski with 5:54 left in the third quarter.
? Troy Polamalu: Hit to the head of Welker late in the game.
? Chris Carter: Hands-to-the-face of tackle Sebastian Vollmer.

* Speaking of Carter, he sure had an impressive burst off the edge while rushing the passer while filling in for LaMarr Woodley.

However, let’s not crown him the next Lawrence Taylor.

Carter is too small and not strong enough to break through arm blocks of tackles that already have been beaten.

You saw it time and time again against the Pats.

* Boy, Larry Foote played well. He made plays in the running game and was solid in the passing game as well.

Maybe I was wrong when I said earlier in the year that Foote wasn’t as good as James Farrior.

OK, I was wrong.

* The Patriots sure did screw up late when Gronkowski clearly scored, but the line judge marked the ball at the 1-yard line.

Belichick said he didn’t see a replay and couldn’t make the challenge with the information he had.

Reason for that was that the Patriots went right to the line thus preventing CBS to show a replay.

What made it worse was that Brady took the full 40 seconds to run the play. If he would’ve huddled up, a replay would’ve been shown.

Blame Brady on this one, he needs to know better.

* Clark might be light a few thousand bucks after the game, but there was nobody out there who played with more passion and intensity than him.

Just look at that play where he turned away Kevin Faulk at the 1-yard line.

Clark recognized the formation immediately and sprinted to where Faulk was heading just to meet him in time to keep him out of the end zone.

One of the best play’s I’ve seen all year long.

Grading the Starters

QB – Ben Roethlisberger – A+ (Wow, just wow)
RB – Rashard Mendenhall – B (Didn’t need him, but ran hard)
TE/FB – David Johnson – B (Remains a solid blocker)
WR – Mike Wallace – A (Showed discipline)
WR – Emmanuel Sanders – A (Very polished for a young guy)
WR – Antonio Brown – A (Made some beautiful catches)
TE – Heath Miller – A+ (Did it all)
LT – Max Starks – B (Has yet to be really tested)
LG – Chris Kemoeatu – B (Needs to cut down dumb penalties)
C – Maurkice Pouncey – B (Held his own with some big boys)
RG – Ramon Foster – B (Controlled Wilfork)
RT – Marcus Gilbert – B (Very powerful man)
DE – Ziggy Hood – B (Disruptive at times)
NT – Casey Hampton – B (Didn’t play much, was good when he did)
DE – Brett Keisel – B+ (Made a play when needed)
LB – LaMarr Woodley – A (Can’t be stopped)
LB – Stevenson Slyvester – C (Out of position some, but that’s expected)
LB – Larry Foote – A (Best game in years)
LB – Lawrence Timmons – B (Helped out defending the pass well)
CB – Ike Taylor – A (Very physical cornerback)
CB – William Gay – A (Playing lights out)
CB – Keenan Lewis – A (Very good speed)
S – Troy Polamalu – B (Very smart football player)
S – Ryan Clark – A (Set a tone)

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... wA.twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/11/02/after-further-review-steelers-vs-patriots/#.TrDGNt9HQwA.twitter)

Slapstick
11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
On defense, the defensive backs and linebackers were the difference in the game on both sides...

The Steelers DBs played very well, the *s DBs did not...

The Steelers patchwork lineup of LBs played well, the *s LBs did not...