PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher & Chucky Gruden linked to Dolphins' HC job

hawaiiansteel
10-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Cowher, Gruden linked to Dolphins job

Posted by Mike Florio on October 25, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/billcowhergetty1-e1319591467311.jpg?w=219

With Dolphins coach Tony Sparano’s days numbered and owner Stephen Ross reportedly looking for a superstar, the list of potential candidates is nearly as small as the number of games the Dolphins have won on their home field since December 2009. Short of luring Bill Belichick or Sean Payton or Mike Tomlin or Mike McCarthy — all of whom are under contract with other teams and beyond all doubt not available — to town, the list would consist of three names: Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, and Jon Gruden. (The only other coach to win a Super Bowl in the last decade not named Belichick, Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, Tomlin, Payton, or McCarthy is Tom Coughlin.)

Dungy consistently has said he’s not returning, and based on the time I spend with him every weekend at dinner on Saturday night and all day on Sunday, I completely believe that. So it’s down to Cowher or Gruden.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross “apparently” has his eyes on Cowher and Gruden, and that Cowher and Gruden could be interested.

“Both Cowher and Gruden have quietly planted seeds that they would like to return to coaching and are more than open to listening to an offer from Miami owner Stephen Ross,” Cole writes. “According to two sources in and around the team, former Dolphins quarterback and current CBS studio analyst Dan Marino has been telling Dolphins management that Cowher, an analyst partner, is geared up for a return. Cowher is also close with Ross confidant Carl Peterson.”

Cole says that Gruden, who signed an “exclusive” five-year deal with ESPN that kicks in next year that apparently doesn’t preclude him from returning to coaching, “told more than a few folks” while in Miami for the Week One game between the Patriots and Dolphins “that he’ll be ready to go next offseason.” (Last year, Gruden’s son blurted out that the former Raiders and Bucs coach could be coming back to the game in 2012.)

Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com takes it one step farther. He reports that the Dolphins already have contacted Cowher through intermediaries. Cowher has refused to discuss any jobs that currently are filled, and Peter King recently reported that Cowher’s primary factor in picking a new team will be whether and to what extent he believes he can win.

The ability to draft Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck may not be enough. With the salary cap back in place, Cowher would need to assess the full roster, and he’d need to analyze whether and to what extent players who need to go can be dumped without creating the kind of cap havoc that could make it hard to acquire competent replacements.

Regardless, it’s not hard to compile a list of “superstar” NFL coaches. With no potential Jim Harbaughs in the college ranks and with Dungy staying put at NBC, it’s Cowher and Gruden.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... phins-job/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/25/cowher-gruden-linked-to-dolphins-job/)

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/528/711/grudenchucky_2_display_image.jpg?1291067963

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-25-2011, 09:53 PM
I thought I might have heard this weekend that Gruden signed a new long-term deal with the network, effectively signalling that he's not interested in coaching. I guess everything can change if the price is right!

Coach Cowher ... can't imagine his being on the opposite sideline during a game. Just can't.

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Cowher looking to win, not get paid

Posted by Mike Florio on October 24, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/billcowhergetty.jpg?w=141

When Bill Cowher left the Steelers after the 2006 season, it was believed that he called it quits because he knew that he’d never make in Pittsburgh the kind of top-of-market money that guys like Mike Holmgren, whom Cowher beat in Super Bowl XL, was receiving. And so the thinking was that, after making TV money for a few years at CBS, Cowher would return to the NFL, get paid top dollar, and make back all the money he would have made with the Steelers, and then some.

If that’s what Cowher was thinking then, it’s not what he’s thinking now. Peter King of Sports Illustrated pointed out during Sunday’s broadcast of Football Night in America that Cowher’s top priority is to go to a situation in which he thinks he’ll win.

Of course, there’s a chance Cowher gets paid and wins. But winning is the more important factor, as it probably should be. Too many Super Bowl-winning coaches have undermined their legacies via NFL second acts that didn’t work out. None has won a Super Bowl with a subsequent team. (Holmgren came the closest.)

Cowher could be the first to do it. And it sounds like he’ll only return to a situation in which he believes he will.

And that makes the franchise that secures the rights to Andrew Luck the most likely to be able to lure Cowher back to coaching in 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -get-paid/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/24/cowher-looking-to-win-not-get-paid/)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
When Bill Cowher left the Steelers after the 2006 season, it was believed that he called it quits because he knew that he’d never make in Pittsburgh the kind of top-of-market money

I don't remember that as being the issue at all. As a matter of fact, in retrospect, he needed the time off to spend with his dying wife. If he wanted to make the big bucks there have been plenty of opportunities to return including Miami already, the Jets, and Dallas.

Oviedo
10-26-2011, 10:36 AM

When Bill Cowher left the Steelers after the 2006 season, it was believed that he called it quits because he knew that he’d never make in Pittsburgh the kind of top-of-market money that guys like Mike Holmgren, whom Cowher beat in Super Bowl XL, was receiving. And so the thinking was that, after making TV money for a few years at CBS, Cowher would return to the NFL, get paid top dollar, and make back all the money he would have made with the Steelers, and then some.

If that’s what Cowher was thinking then, it’s not what he’s thinking now. Peter King of Sports Illustrated pointed out during Sunday’s broadcast of Football Night in America that Cowher’s top priority is to go to a situation in which he thinks he’ll win.

Of course, there’s a chance Cowher gets paid and wins. But winning is the more important factor, as it probably should be. Too many Super Bowl-winning coaches have undermined their legacies via NFL second acts that didn’t work out. None has won a Super Bowl with a subsequent team. (Holmgren came the closest.)

Cowher could be the first to do it. And it sounds like he’ll only return to a situation in which he believes he will.

And that makes the franchise that secures the rights to Andrew Luck the most likely to be able to lure Cowher back to coaching in 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -get-paid/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/24/cowher-looking-to-win-not-get-paid/)

I think Cowher would be much more intersted in replacing Coughlin with the Giants. The Mara ownership is just like the Rooneys. I also don't think Cowher wants a rebuild job that the Dolphins would require plus he wouldn't have to be in the same Division as Belichek if he went to the Giants. We know first hand he can't beat Belichek.

Steelers>NFL
10-26-2011, 10:45 AM

I think Cowher would be much more intersted in replacing Coughlin with the Giants. The Mara ownership is just like the Rooneys. I also don't think Cowher wants a rebuild job that the Dolphins would require plus he wouldn't have to be in the same Division as Belichek if he went to the Giants. We know first hand he can't beat Belichek.

I also thought I heard he was interested in the Chic. Bears job too.

Shawn
10-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Gruden did indeed sign a new network contract. Also, if Gruden is going to take a coaching job this offseason I suspect it will be coaching for the Buckeyes. Gruden as well as Urban Meyers have been linked to that job and both have ties to the team.

Dee Dub
10-26-2011, 11:46 AM
I could see this for both Cowher and Gruden. Gruden has an out clause in his ESPN contract that allows him to return to coaching should he want. Miami will look a lot more attractive when the land Andrew Luck or Landry Jones.

Shawn
10-26-2011, 01:13 PM
I could see this for both Cowher and Gruden. Gruden has an out clause in his ESPN contract that allows him to return to coaching should he want. Miami will look a lot more attractive when the land Andrew Luck or Landry Jones.

Interesting...that I didn't know. I think it will at least come down to dollars and cents. Will the Dolphins or the Buckeyes be willing to pay him more? Where would most rather coach? Hard to say but I know Gruden's name is in the top 2 candidates for the OSU job.

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Dolphins approach Cowher concerning potential vacancy

By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National NFL Insider
Oct. 25, 2011

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/img15835635.jpg

Bill Cowher hasn't worked the sidelines since the 2006 season. (US Presswire)

It's that time of year again when Bill Cowher's name is mentioned for every coaching vacancy from South Beach to Jones Beach. Already the question is being asked: Is this the year Cowher returns to the sideline?

Cowher, now an analyst for CBS Sports, said he won't comment on coaching rumors. However, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, intermediaries for the Miami Dolphins have contacted people close to Cowher about coaching the team.

Now, everyone will deny this because no one wants to admit they are looking to fill a job that's already filled. In this case, the job of Tony Sparano. The Dolphins issued a statement to CBSSports.com declining comment.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has flirted with coaching candidates while employing a sitting coach. Last January, Ross was heavily criticized for courting Jim Harbaugh while Sparano was still leading the team. Ross decided to stick with Sparano. I believe the extreme secrecy and back-channel pursuit of Cowher, instead of reaching out to Cowher directly, is a result of the criticism Ross endured after his pursuit of Harbaugh.

It's been a rough year for Sparano. The Dolphins are winless and they lost to the Denver Broncos in historic fashion by blowing a 15-0 advantage which was the first time since 1983 a team lost more than a 14-point lead with three minutes to go. In that game, Sparano was caught by television cameras pleading to game officials to review a touchdown just scored by the Broncos.

"If I don't call a timeout, I'm [sunk] and now I'm getting fired, OK?" he yelled while pointing toward Ross' owner's box.

To make matters worse, Dolphins players told the Palm Beach Post that on the tying run by Tim Tebow, the Dolphins were in the wrong defense.

There isn't a more attractive free agent coaching candidate out there than Cowher. He's won a Super Bowl, is considered a builder and teacher, has the respect of players, personnel men and owners alike.

It's unclear if compensation would be owed to the Pittsburgh Steelers should Cowher take a job with another team. Cowher resigned as Steelers coach in 2007.

When speaking to a crowd of 2,000 people at the campus of Penn State-Behrend last year, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Cowher said: "I am not going to go back into coaching, just to go back into coaching. It has to be the right situation. And I don't know what the right situation consists of."

Cowher added that over the years he's been approached by several NFL teams each year looking for a new coach. "But I never got too far into it," he said then.

Might that change this year?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1583 ... al-vacancy (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15834419/dolphins-approach-cowher-concerning-potential-vacancy)

Ghost
10-26-2011, 04:08 PM
The single most important player for a team to have to win consistently is the QB. No way Cowher is going to a situation where the QB makes Stewart and Maddox look like all stars. If he goes back, he's going to a place that either has a big time winner at QB or is getting Luck and he thinks he can build a team around him.

Cowher is a millionaire many times over and makes huge coin as a commentator with a work load that's a piece of cake. He could keep that job for a very long time. I don't think money is a driving factor at all.

Dee Dub
10-26-2011, 06:05 PM
The single most important player for a team to have to win consistently is the QB. No way Cowher is going to a situation where the QB makes Stewart and Maddox look like all stars. If he goes back, he's going to a place that either has a big time winner at QB or is getting Luck and he thinks he can build a team around him.

Cowher is a millionaire many times over and makes huge coin as a commentator with a work load that's a piece of cake. He could keep that job for a very long time. I don't think money is a driving factor at all.

Are you forgetting that the Dolphins are in the running for Andrew Luck? And worst case scenario, they end up with Landry Jones or Matt Barkley. Two very highly rated QB's themselves. If you are Cowher and you can start this rebuilding in Miami with a young Peyton Manning type QB ( Andrew Luck), plus Miami already has a 3-4 defense in place, why wouldnt you?

Ghost
10-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Are you forgetting that the Dolphins are in the running for Andrew Luck? And worst case scenario, they end up with Landry Jones or Matt Barkley. Two very highly rated QB's themselves. If you are Cowher and you can start this rebuilding in Miami with a young Peyton Manning type QB ( Andrew Luck), plus Miami already has a 3-4 defense in place, why wouldnt you?

I've bolded the part where I'm clearly not forgetting about Luck since I specifically mentioned him....

Wouldn't go back for Barkley. He's not been all that impressive in college. He may think Jones is a QB to build a franchise around. And my point was that no one knows Miami is getting A. Luck. There are a few teams in that race.

Ever sit at a black jack table in Vegas when the dealer finishes a shift. He claps his hands, holds them up and says "I'm out." That's how I picture Cowher. Life is grand with very little pressure. Obviously don't know the man and could be totally wrong.

Pahn711
10-27-2011, 11:19 AM
It's unclear if compensation would be owed to the Pittsburgh Steelers should Cowher take a job with another team. Cowher resigned as Steelers coach in 2007.

Compensation? Yeah, lets pay an NFL football team money for a coach who retired 5 years ago :lol:

I'm assuming they are talking about draft picks? Seems crazy to me....

Anyways, I'd be interested in seeing a tally of just how many HC jobs Cowher has been linked to since his retirement.

Dee Dub
10-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I've bolded the part where I'm clearly not forgetting about Luck since I specifically mentioned him....

Sorry about that. I didnt see that initially.

Wouldn't go back for Barkley. He's not been all that impressive in college. He may think Jones is a QB to build a franchise around. And my point was that no one knows Miami is getting A. Luck. There are a few teams in that race.

You've got to be the only person I have ever heard say this. How can you not be impressed with what Barkley has done from day one? How he started and played remarkably as a true freshman, who year in and year out plays a pretty tough schedule, and has produced at a very high level? This year he has completing 68.2% of his passes and has thrown 19 TD's to only 4 INT's. He is very accurate, can throw on the run, has a strong arm, and has shown great touch. He has a very pretty quick release too. Most have Barkley as a lock for top 5-10.

I'll tell you this, I have seen every one of his games as I did Sanchez when he was at USC and Barkley is a better QB/passer.

Ghost
10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Sanchez was over hyped and he's showing himself to be a touch above mediocre. Not all that tough to be better.

But I'll defer to you on how he plays as I know you are in Southern CA and watch a ton more of him playing than I get a chance to do. He stats are good but he lost to Standford the last 2 years (and I'd expect another loss this week). USC has lost 4 the last few years and not been on the national scene as much so maybe that's where I am unfairly making my judgement. He doens't strike me as a guy who puts the entire team on his shoulders and wills them to win. Maybe he is that player.

SteelCrazy
10-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Report: Stephen Ross has reached out to Bill Cowher’s agent

Posted by Josh Alper on October 28, 2011, 6:18 PM EDT

Tony Sparano is still the head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

That didn’t stop owner Stephen Ross from meeting with Jim Harbaugh about the job before Harbaugh signed on with the 49ers and it isn’t stopping him from trying to talk to another possible replacement. Albert Breer of the NFL Network is reporting that Ross has reached out to Bill Cowher’s agent about Cowher’s interest in taking over the reins of the team. Earlier this week, Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com reported that Ross had spoken with intermediaries about Cowher and Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported that Cowher has “planted seeds” that he’d be interested in the Miami job.

Breer’s report comes with a caveat. Cowher has reportedly told his agent and others that he will not speak to a team without a head coaching vacancy. That can be remedied fairly quickly, of course, and this week’s news that Sparano’s house in Miami is up for sale is a sign that he could be an empty nester in more ways than one.

While Cowher wouldn’t take over the Dolphins job in the middle of the season, firing Sparano would give the team to get a head start of discussions with Cowher about their job. That would give them a jump on other teams that might be making coaching changes in the offseason with an eye toward bringing Cowher into their organization. With Cowher believed to be interested in a situation that offers him a chance to win immediately, the Dolphins might not benefit from being first in the hunt but it probably wouldn’t hurt their chances all that much.

Expect to hear much more about Cowher to the Dolphins in the weeks to come, even if Brandon Marshall’s guarantee comes to fruition in the Meadowlands.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ers-agent/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/28/report-stephen-ross-has-reached-out-to-bill-cowhers-agent/)

If hired, they are officially changing their name to the Dolpchins

SteelCrazy
10-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Stephen Ross: I have not reached out to Cowher

There have been multiple reports of undercover and backroom wheeling and dealing by owner Stephen Ross as he tries to land a new coach for the Miami Dolphins.

The latest is an NFL.com report citing an unnamed league source that states Ross has been in contact with Bill Cowher's agent about making the former Pittsburgh Steelers coach the next Dolphins coach.

The report is not true, Ross is telling The Miami Herald.

"I have not reached out to him in any way and will not so long as Tony [Sparano] is the coach," Ross said in a statement tonight.

"And," the short statement concludes, "I hope Tony wins and stays the coach.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z1c7h5tmdy (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/10/ross-i-have-not-reached-out-to-cowher.html#ixzz1c7h5tmdy)

Pahn711
10-28-2011, 07:57 PM
The speculation has been so rampant and utterly false over the years its hard to take anything like this seriously anymore...

SteelCrazy
10-28-2011, 08:25 PM
The speculation has been so rampant and utterly false over the years its hard to take anything like this seriously anymore...

Yea, I was just about to believe it and Ross put an end to that...I guess part of me wants to see the spit fly one more time even though it has to be with another team.

kindlecatsb'ng
10-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Yesterday on 93.7, the Fan, Cowher said he will "make a statement" about Miami head coach speculation on the CBS pre-game show today (Sunday). Told everyone to listen. He also said he was happy where he was at this time.

GO STEELERS!!! :tt2

Kindle

SteelCrazy
10-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Cowher: 'I do not plan on coaching next year'

Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach and current CBS Sports analyst Bill Cowher said Sunday he has no plans to return to coaching next year.

Reports earlier in the week linked Cowher to the Miami Dolphins, whose relationship with current coach Tony Sparano continues to unravel, but Cowher refuted the claim that he had been contacted by the Dolphins.

"I do not plan on coaching next year. I love where I work and I enjoy the people I'm working with," Bill Cowher said on CBS' "The NFL Today", via the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I like what I'm doing here and I plan to be back in the same seat."

Cowher also said that he has "not been contacted directly, or indirectly by anyone from the Miami Dolphins."

A league source told NFL Network's Albert Breer on Friday that associates of Dolphins owner Stephen Ross had been in contact with Cowher's agent.

Cowher left coaching after winning the Super Bowl in 2006 with the Steelers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... -next-year (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82397c4c/article/cowher-i-do-not-plan-on-coaching-next-year)