PDA

View Full Version : Cortez Allen received

Steelhere10
10-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Some snaps yesterday, I wonder is the coaching staff is getting him ready for NE.

Pahn711
10-24-2011, 02:30 PM
It was mentioned some weeks ago that he filled in a few plays for Taylor and Lewis in Indy, so hopefully he'll be ready.

hawaiiansteel
10-25-2011, 03:07 PM
I find it interesting that Cortez Allen is playing ahead of not only BMac but also Curtis Brown who was drafted before him...

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quick hits

• Bryant McFadden, who started at left corner all last season and opened this one there, may have slipped further down the depth chart. Not only has William Gay replaced him as the starter and Keenan Lewis moved up as the nickel back, but rookie Cortez Allen played on occasion Sunday when the Steelers used four cornerbacks rather than three in their dime defense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11298/11 ... z1boYVHRfJ (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11298/1184661-66-0.stm#ixzz1boYVHRfJ)

fezziwig
10-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I wonder if B-Mac is more injured than they have let on ?

Pahn711
10-25-2011, 05:19 PM
I wonder if B-Mac is more injured than they have let on ?

I doubt he would be suiting up if that were the case. Unless Tomlin is being deceptive, its not like they are desperate for better corner depth right now.

hawaiiansteel
11-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Cortez Allen has been a pleasant surprise so far this season, climbing to 4th on the CB depth chart ahead of BMac and Curtis Brown.

Nov. 1, 2011
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Rookie cornerback Cortez Allen has played well on special teams all season and that has led to him getting more reps in defensive packages.

“I think first and foremost he is a tough guy to get away from on the practice field,” said Tomlin. “Usually that is always the thing that kind of grabs our attention, guys that distinguish themselves on service teams. He has done that and played well in special teams."

“That formula usually leads us to giving them defensive opportunities or offensive opportunities and that has been the case with him and he has done a nice job thus far.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 42893c097d (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ravens-defense-presents-a-challenge/bfab6fb0-dc0b-482a-bef3-6d42893c097d)

Pahn711
11-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I find it interesting that Cortez Allen is playing ahead of not only BMac but also Curtis Brown who was drafted before him...

The coaching staff has been saying all along that they liked his potential even if a bit raw, I guess he just picked up the defense faster than anyone expected. Certainly a pleasant surprise, to say the least.

flippy
11-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I expect him to pass Lewis by next season.

He's got size. He can run with anybody. And he looks like a good tackler thus far.

He's a good matchup for a big WR, a fast WR, or a pass catching TE.

I see him becoming like Ike.

RuthlessBurgher
11-02-2011, 06:47 PM
This can't be right. Our saintly defensive coordinator NEVER gives rookies actual playing time on defense! Someone tell Cortez to stop screwing around and wait 3 years to learn the defense like everyone else. :stirpot

Jigawatts
11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
This can't be right. Our saintly defensive coordinator NEVER gives rookies actual playing time on defense! Someone tell Cortez to stop screwing around and wait 3 years to learn the defense like everyone else. :stirpot

I remember when a rookie named McFadden got some playing time his rookie season
way back when he was good. Didn't we win a Super Bowl that year? :tt2

Steelhere10
11-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Wow I forgot about this thread. Good call number 10! ...lol

Captain Lemming
11-02-2011, 08:30 PM

As did Gay. :roll:

Snatch98
11-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Speaking of Gay has the board finally moved past the thought that Gay is a bad corner? He's a great nickel back but right now he's proving he can be more than just a great nickel back. He played very well in press against the Patriots and has done well all year since stepping in for McFadden. On top of that he seems to be a really good teammate and NEVER makes a stink. Our corners are shaping up to be a strength when most of us were still deeming it a weakness even with the addition of Allen and Brown. As a direct result we may see a first round offensive lineman to replace Capt. Personal Foul because corner is no longer such a pressing need.

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Speaking of Gay has the board finally moved past the thought that Gay is a bad corner? He's a great nickel back but right now he's proving he can be more than just a great nickel back. He played very well in press against the Patriots and has done well all year since stepping in for McFadden. On top of that he seems to be a really good teammate and NEVER makes a stink. Our corners are shaping up to be a strength when most of us were still deeming it a weakness even with the addition of Allen and Brown. As a direct result we may see a first round offensive lineman to replace Capt. Personal Foul because corner is no longer such a pressing need.

Gay has morphed into Deshea Townsend 2.0. An excellent nickel CB who has also shown the ability to be an adequate starter if needed there. I'm hoping that Keenan Lewis or Cortez Allen fight for the starting role opposite Ike (I prefer size and physicality on the outside), and then Gay can fight with Curtis Brown for the nickel role (quicks to deal with slot wideouts). It is amazing how Bryant McFadden has fallen off the face of the planet.

Snatch98
11-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Gay has morphed into Deshea Townsend 2.0. An excellent nickel CB who has also shown the ability to be an adequate starter if needed there. I'm hoping that Keenan Lewis or Cortez Allen fight for the starting role opposite Ike (I prefer size and physicality on the outside), and then Gay can fight with Curtis Brown for the nickel role (quicks to deal with slot wideouts). It is amazing how Bryant McFadden has fallen off the face of the planet.

Totally agree and exactly the kind of player we need. I also like the chances of Lewis and Allen to step in to the role full time opposite Ike. We also have really no idea what we have in Curtis Brown.