PDA

View Full Version : This week LeBeau needs to be the Hall of Famer that he is!!

Dee Dub
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
No excuses. LeBeau needs to step it up. He has the players and he has the knowledge to out scheme the Pats. What has been used in the past does not work. He needs to change it up and show something different.

A different outcome will require a different approach.

I dont expect the Steelers to shut down the Pats offense but they can keep the score to a point that leads to a winnable outcome.

:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
10-24-2011, 12:11 PM
He needs to be a cornerback? :wink:

pittpete
10-24-2011, 12:49 PM
He has the players and he has the knowledge to out scheme the Pats.

Who are Potsie,Foote & Clark going to cover? :stirpot

Steel Life
10-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Just being the realist but NE will coming off a bye & that means rest & extra time to film...I mean prepare for the Steelers. Get ready to see a steady diet of Welker, Gronkowski & Hernandez being chased by Farrior, Foote & Gay. I'm hoping Hoke is back rather than Hampton for this game as his penetration could make a difference than how they typicaly play us when Hampton is in there.

Slapstick
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
This might be the week to get Sylvester some more playing time...if Worilds is capable of playing, that should let Timmons play more coverage in the middle...if he can cover a TE and Polamalu can cover a TE, the Steelers could be OK...

steelz09
10-24-2011, 01:34 PM
I completely agree... I would probably match Ike against Welker and stuff him at the line of scrimmage.

I would use Polamalu and Timmons on their TE's and stuff them at the line of scrimmage as well. Pure bump and run.

I would then attack Brady with Harrison (if he plays or whomever else), Farrior, and Woodley. I would switch it up reguarly and send different people at different angles. For example, I'd line Farrior on the outside and blitz Harrison right up the middle.

The most important piece is stuffing guys at the line of scrimmage. If we give them a nice cushion, Brady and Belicheck will pick us apart all game long... 5 yards at a time like they normally do.

proudpittsburgher
10-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Not to pick nits, but the offense plays a bit of a part in the outcome. And not even in the "score more points than the other team" way, but when we lost to the Pats last time out, the offense did virtually nothing in the first half, putting Lebeau and the defense behind the eight ball. The last time we truly dominated a Brady-led Pats offense was Halloween quite a few years ago, and the offense opened up the play, gave us a lead, and lebeau could dictate his defense. Even then we didn't shut them down. The D did just enough to win. So it goes both ways. If Ben goes out there and just starts to chuck it 50 yards downfield every third play, he ain't doing Dick Lebeau any favors.

Dee Dub
10-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Not to pick nits, but the offense plays a bit of a part in the outcome. And not even in the "score more points than the other team" way, but when we lost to the Pats last time out, the offense did virtually nothing in the first half, putting Lebeau and the defense behind the eight ball. The last time we truly dominated a Brady-led Pats offense was Halloween quite a few years ago, and the offense opened up the play, gave us a lead, and lebeau could dictate his defense. Even then we didn't shut them down. The D did just enough to win. So it goes both ways. If Ben goes out there and just starts to chuck it 50 yards downfield every third play, he ain't doing bad word Lebeau any favors.

Agreed and great point! I'm hoping the Steelers win the coin toss and Antonio Brown takes the opening kickoff back for a TD. 7-Zip right off the bat.

And LeBeau tends to be a little more aggressive when the Steelers have a lead.

Oviedo
10-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Be realistic. After five times it is a trend. Lebeau doesnt have an answer for Brady. He is afraid of his passing which is why we drop our Lb into coverage which means Brady has all day. Don't expect anything different this time

NorthCoast
10-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Be realistic. After five times it is a trend. Lebeau doesnt have an answer for Brady. He is afraid of his passing which is why we drop our Lb into coverage which means Brady has all day. Don't expect anything different this time

Well said Oviedo. I chuckle at those that think something is different for the D this time around. Can someone point to exactly what it is that gives you hope that the defense will be different for this game vs the past 8 against NE?

OK, Ike is playing a little more press coverage but he is the only one we DON'T usually need to worry about. Take a look again at the game yesterday, if Kolb wasn't such a horrid QB there were a few more plays to be made against us. Be assured that Brady won't be so kind....

Dee Dub
10-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Well said Oviedo. I chuckle at those that think something is different for the D this time around. Can someone point to exactly what it is that gives you hope that the defense will be different for this game vs the past 8 against NE?

OK, Ike is playing a little more press coverage but he is the only one we DON'T usually need to worry about. Take a look again at the game yesterday, if Kolb wasn't such a horrid QB there were a few more plays to be made against us. Be assured that Brady won't be so kind....

Well you are talking to the wrong person here. I have always been under the thought that it hasnt been the players or lack of execution that has hurt the Steelers defense in the games versus the Patriots, Saints, and Packers. These are the hi-powered pass happy offenses that spread the Steelers out on defense. Go back and look at those games and you will see 6, 7, 8 men dropping in coverage for the majority of those games.

It doesnt work. They have to go after Brady just like they did in 2004. The personnel is there. Ike, Troy, LaMarr, and Timmons are some of the best defensive players in the game. It isnt a lack of not having the personnel to get it done. They just have to be put in the right position that maximizes their strength. What do you have to lose? What you've been doing doesnt work. Why not go to your strength?

Slapstick
10-24-2011, 07:35 PM
I would seriously take a look at the tape of the Green Bay vs. New England game last year...

Brady did not tear up the Pack...the packers were done in by a 71 yard KO return by an offensive lineman and the fact that Flynn was their QB while Rodgers recovered from a concussion...

Oviedo
10-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Well you are talking to the wrong person here. I have always been under the thought that it hasnt been the players or lack of execution that has hurt the Steelers defense in the games versus the Patriots, Saints, and Packers. These are the hi-powered pass happy offenses that spread the Steelers out on defense. Go back and look at those games and you will see 6, 7, 8 men dropping in coverage for the majority of those games.

It doesnt work. They have to go after Brady just like they did in 2004. The personnel is there. Ike, Troy, LaMarr, and Timmons are some of the best defensive players in the game. It isnt a lack of not having the personnel to get it done. They just have to be put in the right position that maximizes their strength. What do you have to lose? What you've been doing doesnt work. Why not go to your strength?

You're right. The only way to beat Brady is to blitz the daylights out of him. For whatever reason LeBeau refuses to do that. He thinks by playing conservative dropping the LBs into coverage and preventing the big play Brady will make a critical mistake...doesn't happen.

Starlifter
10-25-2011, 12:39 PM
does anyone NOT think the patsies are going to do everything in power to match up their TE's against farrior and foote? we'll probably do ok against the run and I think we can defend the deep ball - but I'm very concerned those 8-15 yard hits to gronkowski and co. are going to kill us.

I don't believe for one second our middle LB's have the ability to cover their backs/TE's one on one. Not sure how you scheme for that.

ikestops85
10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
does anyone NOT think the patsies are going to do everything in power to match up their TE's against farrior and foote? we'll probably do ok against the run and I think we can defend the deep ball - but I'm very concerned those 8-15 yard hits to gronkowski and co. are going to kill us.

I don't believe for one second our middle LB's have the ability to cover their backs/TE's one on one. Not sure how you scheme for that.

I agree ... Timmons has got to move back to the middle. He really hasn't been a factor on the outside so let's put him back where he is strongest. That way hopefully he and Troy can stay on their TEs.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Don't know, DD...sounds as though you are being awfully hard on LeBeau. Maybe you need to look down deep in your heart and see why you feel the need to criticize him in this way. After all, look at what he's had to contend with in past contests vs. the *'s:

--aging and slowing veterans
--some CBs and DBs with less than stellar coverage skills
--injuries
--bonehead comments by Steelers' defender that provided bulletin-board material

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just jerkin' your chain! I AGREE with your assessment about what LeBeau needs to do...
we've GOT to attack Brady with the BLITZ, and NOT just allow him to play to his strength. You're dead on with what you are calling for here, IMO.

BUT

I still wonder why you think it was such a no-no to hold Ben and Woodley to the same kind of standard after THEIR slow starts? "No excuses"..."[they] need to step it up"..."a different outcome will require a different approach"...those statements you made about LeBeau are essentially the SAME things I (and others) said about Ben and Woodley.

Guess whether a Steelers' fan can be classified as a hater is mostly a matter of just WHO it is he is being critical of? :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
10-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Wouldn't have Farrior and Foote in there. Their run game won't beat us. Brady slinging it all over the field to Welker and the TE's can, though, so I'd start out in nickel on what are traditionally "running" downs, then switch to dime on traditional "passing" downs. They will have spent 2 weeks preparing to play a 3-man DL, but we give them only 4-man fronts in nickel and dime all game (except for 3rd and short and goalline situations, of course).

Nickel:
Woodley-Hood-McLendon-Keisel
Farrior-Timmons
Taylor-Polamalu-Clark-Lewis-Gay

Dime:
Woodley-Hood-Heyward-Keisel
Timmons
Taylor-Polamalu-Clark-Mundy-Lewis-Gay

Have Ike shadow Welker, put Polamalu on Hernandez, and Timmons on Gronkowski.

Dee Dub
10-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Don't know, DD...sounds as though you are being awfully hard on LeBeau. Maybe you need to look down deep in your heart and see why you feel the need to criticize him in this way. After all, look at what he's had to contend with in past contests vs. the *'s:

--injuries

Just jerkin' your chain! I AGREE with your assessment about what LeBeau needs to do...
we've GOT to attack Brady with the BLITZ, and NOT just allow him to play to his strength. You're dead on with what you are calling for here, IMO.

BUT

I still wonder why you think it was such a no-no to hold Ben and Woodley to the same kind of standard after THEIR slow starts? "No excuses"..."[they] need to step it up"..."a different outcome will require a different approach"...those statements you made about LeBeau are essentially the SAME things I (and others) said about Ben and Woodley.

Guess whether a Steelers' fan can be classified as a hater is mostly a matter of just WHO it is he is being critical of? :wink:

Oh yeah that is a good comparison.... :roll: LeBeau hasnt been able to stop the Pat's offense since 2004 and you you think that is a good comparison to Ben Roethlisberger's early season struggles?? :HeadBanger

I do not hate LeBeau but I do not like the way he has changed the defensive philosophy the past couple of years. What he has does versus the Pat's, Saints, and Packers doesnt work.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-25-2011, 02:38 PM

--injuries

BUT

Oh yeah that is a good comparison.... :roll: LeBeau hasnt been able to stop the Pat's offense since 2004 and you you think that is a good comparison to Ben Roethlisberger's early season struggles?? :HeadBanger

How many games out of LeBeau's career do those Pats games represent? And how many games out of Ben's career has Ben not performed particularly well? Look, I'm not defending LeBeau's philosophy vs. the Pats, but I don't think it's a stretch to compare your criticisms of LeBeau with my criticisms of Ben.

I do not hate LeBeau but I do not like the way he has changed the defensive philosophy the past couple of years. What he has does versus the Pat's, Saints, and Packers doesnt work.

And I don't hate Ben...in fact, I'm glad we have him...but I don't like his inconsistency-- intermittent stretches of subpar play, failure to take his checkdowns, forcing passes, missing open receivers, holding the ball and taking sacks rather than throwing it away, being careless with the football, etc. That kind of playing, to use your terminology, "doesn't work."

My point is, why should I not be able to be critical of Ben for what he does wrong, when you are critical of LeBeau for what he does wrong?