PDA

View Full Version : Home dogs

Sonny
10-24-2011, 11:52 AM
For the first time since Ben was a rookie against Philly, we are home underdogs in the regular season.(We were also dogs the week before against the Pats)

Line is at 2.5 and since 82% of bets right now are on New England, it will only go up.

This is the biggest regular season game in a long time for the Steelers IMO. Probably since that Halloween game against the Pats. It will show that we are still elite and will be in the discussion of best teams in the league again, or it may show what everyone has been afraid of, that we are in decline. The next TWO games, really.

What it looks like fellas, our defense is aging but still one of the best, but our offense is coming together and can now start carrying us to Super Bowls. Why do I say it like that? Because the late 70s Steelers were in the same boat. The 78 and especially the 79 group didn't have as great a defense as 74 and 75, but Bradshaw was coming into his own and we had one of the most expolosive passing attacks in the league. I can deal with that.

It needs to start this week though. We WILL be in a shootout. Ben will need to have a game like he did against GB in 09.

RuthlessBurgher
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
If Ben completes at 500+ passing yard day with a game-winning TD to Mike Wallace again, then I'd be happy.

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Mike-Wallace-TD.jpg

NJ-STEELER
10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
we werent home dogs last year vs them??

hawaiiansteel
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
we werent home dogs last year vs them??

if we weren't we should have been because they kicked our arses...

Sonny
10-24-2011, 07:37 PM
No. We were 4.5 point favorites. They were coming off of a 20 point loss to the Browns.

Leading up to last year's game, people had forgotten how much Brady owns the Steelers. It was actually his performance against us that signaled to everyone that the Tom Brady pre-knee injury was back and can still have an MVP season.

Now, since that game is so fresh in our minds, everyone will bring up his record against us and say that we have no chance to win this game.

hawaiiansteel
10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
No. We were 4.5 point favorites. They were coming off of a 20 point loss to the Browns.

if the Browns can beat the Pats* by 20 points, wouldn't one think that we should be able to beat them also?

and don't forget that the Bills beat the mighty Cheaters* earlier this season, if they can do it so can we.

AkronSteel
10-24-2011, 08:30 PM
I have a good feeling about next Sunday's game!!! I think the Steelers will come to play and have a good night!!! It could be a shootout but I think the Steelers will play with a chip on their shoulder!!!

hawaiiansteel
10-24-2011, 09:05 PM
I have a good feeling about next Sunday's game!!! I think the Steelers will come to play and have a good night!!! It could be a shootout but I think the Steelers will play with a chip on their shoulder!!!

what I'm hoping for is that we come out and play against the Pats* the way the Ravens did against us earlier this season.

Shoe
10-24-2011, 09:22 PM
I have NO faith in us preventing another embarrassing result, and anyone who has watched us play the cheaters this decade can't feel any different. The fact that they cheated us (out of at least one SB) in the early part of the decade for sure notwithstanding, they have handed us our ass on a platter for 90% of games we've played them. At home, at their place, in the playoffs, under all circumstance (I'm talking with Brady* starting of course)...

I hate them worse than any professional sports team ever (includes Laker-Celtics in the 80's, current Ravens)... I would jizzum my pants to see Tom Brady* to catch a Leonard Marshall like hit from the likes of James Harrison (if he were playing), and get knocked senseless.

Steelerphile
10-24-2011, 10:43 PM
The worm must turn at some point. I am feeling optimistic. The Steelers played their best game of the year, I think, by beating a motivated and somewhat talented Cardinal team on their home turf.

The Steelers have seen the Patriots and their quick-hitting passing attack often enough. I do think they will try to mix things up, and gameplan the heck out of this game. A lot of pride is involved and the Steelers are at home. They are tired of losing to Brady and Co.

Shoe
10-25-2011, 01:47 AM
The worm must turn at some point. I am feeling optimistic. The Steelers played their best game of the year, I think, by beating a motivated and somewhat talented Cardinal team on their home turf.

The Steelers have seen the Patriots and their quick-hitting passing attack often enough. I do think they will try to mix things up, and gameplan the heck out of this game. A lot of pride is involved and the Steelers are at home. They are tired of losing to Brady and Co.

While everything you say seems to make sense, the fact is that I've said that before Pats* games seemingly every time we play them: we've seen them a lot, PRIDE should factor, etc. And what happens? They tax our ass. The worst thing is that for the most part, there has been very little to hang our hat on in those losses. It's not like we can say, "they beat us, but we played well defensively" or anything like that. They mow down our defense so badly, it makes me feel like it's the 80's again.

And even in games where we score a lot, most of it comes when the game is practically out of reach. I can't recall us being in a tit for tat scoring spree.

hawaiiansteel
10-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Struggling New Faces Get Vote Of Support

By Sports Xchange
Posted Oct 21, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/98/989657.jpg

Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth haven't exactly been tearing it up since their arrival in New England. But that doesn't seem to be a problem, at least not according to the coaching staff.

Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth were the big names of the Patriots fix-on-the fly, post-lockout offseason retooling.

Through six games and with the team in the midst of bye week self scouting, neither former Pro Bowl talent has lived up to his fading hype.

Ochocinco was supposed to add another element to the Tom Brady-led passing attack to make the Patriots even better through the air.

But the former Bengal has struggled mightily to pick up the complex, multifaceted passing game. He's caught just 9 passes for 136 yards. He's dropped potential touchdowns and failed to get on the same page with Brady almost more often than he's appeared on the field.

In Sunday's win over the Cowboys Ochocinco played just seven snaps, and was nowhere near where Brady threw it on his only pass in No. 85's direction on the evening.

Some have wondered if Ochocinco, who got a $4.5 million bonus when he reworked his contract after the trade to New England, will even last through the season.

Heading into the extra practice time of the bye week, there appears to be no signs that the organization is ready to cut ties.

"We're happy with what Chad's done for us," Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio said. "He's probably one of our best practice players. He goes out there, he works hard, practices hard, he's out there on the field, he competes, he has made plays when he has had the opportunity. We're six games in with a long season and we're happy that Chad's on the team."

New England first-year offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien took a similarly positive stance.

"Ocho is progressing every week," O'Brien said. "He's done a really good job in practice and when he's been in certain part of games, he's produced -- two-minute drives at the end of halves and things. We're happy where Ocho is with things right now. Again, we got a lot of guys that contribute. This is a unique place. We've got a lot of guys that contribute and some guys in certain games are contributing more than others. At some point in time, we're going to need everybody to contribute, so that's kind of where it is right now. Ocho is probably in that category and working really hard to keep producing and eventually help us in different ways."

http://media.scout.com/media/image/98/989660.jpg

Though Haynesworth has been more productive than Ochocinco, he hasn't been the dominant force some expected him to be in a theoretically happy, motivated state after two tumultuous years with the Redskins.

Haynesworth missed two games with a back injury, seeing reserve action in four others. He had his best game of the season in beating Dallas, although he was only credited with a single quarterback hit on the evening. He, too, is getting some words of encouragement despite tallying just two tackles and two QB hits in a month and a half of life in New England.

"I think missed time is a little bit of a hurdle for anybody," Bill Belichick said. "I think Albert has been -- the more he's practiced, the more regularly he's practiced and played, the better he's been. I thought he had several good plays (against Dallas). It was encouraging."

The thing that's really encouraging for Belichick and Company is that they sit at 5-1 alone atop the AFC East at the bye despite getting virtually no contributions through the first month from their two biggest offseason acquisitions. If Ochocinco and Haynesworth truly are getting better and contributors for the long haul, it will only help an already talent New England team on both sides.

http://nwe.scout.com/2/1119780.html

Slapstick
10-25-2011, 08:46 AM
When was the last time Haynesworth and Chad Johnson were considered elite?

Steelers>NFL
10-25-2011, 09:04 AM
What makes this game even tougher to win is the fact that NE is coming off a bye week.
And from what I heard in the past on Cowherd show, is that Belicheat & A. Reid have a great record coming off the bye week. So, that will make the game even harder to win.

Northern_Blitz
10-25-2011, 11:27 AM
What makes this game even tougher to win is the fact that NE is coming off a bye week.
And from what I heard in the past on Cowherd show, is that Belicheat & A. Reid have a great record coming off the bye week. So, that will make the game even harder to win.

This. I don't like knowing that BB gets 2 weeks to prepare for us.

Hopefully, the Pats will come in overconfident since they generally own us.

AngryAsian
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
We sustain game chewing drives of 8 min.+ and keep Marsha off the field while keeping our D fresh on the sidelines, we will win this game. The games that the Pats lose is when Brady's rhythm is disrupted with constant pass rush pressure and more importantly Brady seeing more time on the sidelines.

costanza2k1
10-25-2011, 12:02 PM

what I'm hoping for is that we come out and play against the Pats* the way the Ravens did against us earlier this season.

I'm hoping that too, but I would love for them to sustain that against the Rats...that game is probably bigger in the grand scheme of things.

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Advanced Scouting: The Patriots

Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:48 pm
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/4c/f4ced72f-f872-51ae-9687-36d584c274ae/4ea7849a7d078.preview-300.jpg

PITTSBURGH - It's hard to imagine that the AFC's only 5-1 team could rank last in the NFL in defense. But it's true. Teams are racking up yards against the New England Patriots.

But if ever there's a case of statistics failing to tell the whole story, this is it.

"That is a function of them just whacking people and being way out in front," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin explained. "So if you come in and you think they are the 32nd best defense in football, you are kidding yourself. They're whacking people pretty good."

Since the 2001 season, no one has whacked the opposition as well as the Patriots. They are the only team in the league with 50 divisional wins. They are only the second team to rack up 10 straight winning seasons during the Super Bowl era.

Since Bill Belichick became coach in 2000, the Patriots have the best road record in the league. Since Gillette Stadium opened in 2002, the Patriots have the best home record in the league.

And when the Patriots come to town this weekend to play the Steelers (5-2), they bring with them a 4-1 record in games at Heinz Field.

"They win," Tomlin said. "Ultimately that is how we are measured."

Here's a look at the personnel the Patriots are winning with this year:

OFFENSE

Over the years, Tom Brady has had a solid supporting cast. But with the Patriots, everything revolves around their remarkable quarterback.

Brady leads the league with 360.5 passing yards per game, and is on pace to become just the third QB in NFL history to throw for 5,000 yards in a season (the others are Dan Marino in 1984 and Drew Brees in 2008).

Brady has won 116 of his 149 career regular-season starts, compiling a.779 winning percentage and giving him the best record of any QB in the Super Bowl era.

And he's played well and won often against the Steelers. He's 6-1 against the Steelers (4-1 regular season, 2-0 playoffs) with 14 touchdown passes and only three interceptions.

"He's just very good physically and mentally," Tomlin said. "He's very talented in both areas. He's tough to trick. He makes quick decisions. He has pinpoint accuracy and he has the arm to do the things he desires to do."

Brady's top two targets are WR Wes Welker and TE Rob Gronkowski. Welker, who's caught six TD passes, leads the NFL in receptions (51) and receiving yards per game (130.9). Gronkowski, who briefly attended Woodland Hills High School, has caught 29 passes for 401 yards and five TDs.

And even though the Patriots throw the ball so much, running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis is 17th in the league with 391 rushing yards.

DEFENSE

As Tomlin explained, the Patriots are giving up a lot of yards late in games when they're well ahead. They may be allowing 423.7 yards per game, but they aren't necessarily allowing teams to light up scoreboards against them. They're tied for 10th in scoring defense at 22.5 points per game. That's only four slots below the Steelers (17.4) ppg.

"Defensively, they've had trouble at times stopping people," Tomlin said. "But they play great situational football. They're opportunistic."

The strength of the New England defense is its line -- Vince Wilfork at nose tackle with Shaun Ellis, Andre Carter, Albert Haynesworth and Gerard Warren at D-end.

"These guys have had distinguished careers with other teams," Tomlin said. "They're probably just interested in winning. They've put their hand in the pile and come aboard."

Mark Anderson, Carter's back-up, leads the Patriots with four sacks.

Cornerback Kyle Anderson is tied for second in the NFL with four interceptions.

THE COACH

When Tomlin started coaching in the NFL in 2001 as the secondary coach with the Buccaneers, Belichick would go on to lead the Patriots to a 24-17 upset win over the Steelers at Heinz Field in the AFC Championship Game and then a victory over the high-powered Rams in the Super Bowl.

But Belichick wasn't a guy that Tomlin looked up to at the time.

"I was blessed enough to be around some top quality guys that I worked with in my building in Tony Dungy and John Gruden and guys like that," Tomlin said, "so I didn't have to look far in terms of guys that were awesome guys to get information and inspiration from."

That doesn't mean Tomlin doesn't respect what Belichick has accomplished over the years. Belichick is the only the only coach to win three Super Bowl titles in a four-year span. He's won more regular-season games (121) and more games overall (135) during a 10-year stretch (2001-10) than any other coach in NFL history.

"They win," Tomlin said.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 9c436.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/advanced-scouting-the-patriots/article_793cae22-c396-542d-b7db-dfde1629c436.html)

Sonny
10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm glad no one has brought up the cheating.

Didn't someone bring it up last year, only to get embarrassed in the game, without cheating?

Sonny
10-26-2011, 01:01 PM
For the gamblers.

"Playing a road favorite coming off their bye is a long term profitable play. Since 1990 it is 68-42-2 ATS (62%). Since Dec. 2nd 2007 it is 11-0-1 SU and ATS!

Since 1996, the Patriots are 8-0 SU and 6-2 ATS as road favorites coming of their bye. And they are 5-0 SU and 5-0 ATS since 1996 as a road favorite coming off their bye with a line of 6.5 or less."

Shawn
10-26-2011, 01:19 PM
I know what Dutch would say about this...

only 2.5? Most the nonsharp money on the Pats?

This looks good for the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
The strength of the New England defense is its line -- Vince Wilfork at nose tackle with Shaun Ellis, Andre Carter, Albert Haynesworth and Gerard Warren at D-end.

Everyone talks about how old the Steeler DL has been, but look at that lineup. A 12th year player (Ellis), two 11th year players (Carter and Warren), a 10th year player (Haynesworth), and the baby of the group has been in the NFL for 8 seasons (Wilfork).

No Ziggy, no Steelhead, no McLendon as youthful options here...

Sonny
10-26-2011, 02:01 PM

This looks good for the Steelers. Up to 3 now.

Some people are anti-public just to be anti-public, and when one out of their 10 "sharp" plays hits, they are a genius.

Being a square and actually winning is ok in my book.

Dutch is smartmonies, right?

Shawn
10-26-2011, 02:49 PM

This looks good for the Steelers. Up to 3 now.

Some people are anti-public just to be anti-public, and when one out of their 10 "sharp" plays hits, they are a genius.

Being a square and actually winning is ok in my book.

Dutch is smartmonies, right?

Correct. I would love to let him speak for himself. But, his presence here brings the wrath of a few so he is not allowed to tread these forums.

Generally betting against the public is indeed a good way to play. I know Dutch was very anti-public.

hawaiiansteel
10-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Who I like, New England version

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is on a bit of a roll in the past three games, with a Tom Brady-like eight touchdown passes.

Sunday, he'll get another opportunity to go head to head with the real thing when Brady and the Patriots come to Heinz Field.

This has been a traditionally tough matchup for the Steelers due to Brady's ability to pick apart zone defenses.

And that has led to Brady compiling a 6-1 record against the Steelers.

But Roethlisberger has had some success against New England's defense as well. He owns a 2-3 mark against the Patriots, though one of those wins came against Matt Cassell.

These Steelers are better suited to match up against New England in a point-for-point battle.

The Steelers showed some of that in 2010 when they rallied against New England before dropping a 39-26 decision, with the big difference being an interception and touchdown in the middle of the fourth quarter by the Patriots.

The Pittsburgh receivers are a year older and wiser, which will make a difference, but it likely won't be enough.

Brady gets into these kind of shootouts on a weekly basis, while the Steelers still have to get comfortable doing so.

New England is a three-point favorite and I think the Patriots will win, but they won't cover.

Take New England, 33-31.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Sonny
10-30-2011, 08:15 PM
That is the final score that I had. I went big on the Pats to cover 2.5, and I would have been sick if they came back and won 24-23, but I have no problem losing money to my favorite team.