PDA

View Full Version : The Ben in the grasp call......I mean WTF

pittpete
10-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Doesnt seem like anyone brought this up.
One week Ben is taking hits like a punching bag and the next they grab his ankle and the refs blow the whistle.
Even Dierdick commented on this like it was a joke.

Ghost
10-24-2011, 09:35 AM
I brought this up in the game chat yesterday and said I thought it was a very quick whistle. Should be very interesting to see how they call the game next week if the Steelers can get to Brady. Woodley runs by him and gets flagged for unnecessary roughness and Ben takes shot after shot.

sentinel33
10-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Call upset me.

I was whoopin it up, exclaiming vintage Ben, until I noticed the call.

The dedender has Bens throwing arm pinned to Bens side, then Ben pulls it free, grabs the ball out of his left arm and throws it away for an incomplete pass.

I hope someone puts that in a highlight reel. Really good stuff by Ben.

Northern_Blitz
10-24-2011, 09:59 AM
It's too bad that it goes down as a sack, but I can understand it. I don't mind the call.

It must be frustrating for defensive players. The league tells them that they are not allowed to deliver punishing hits to QBs. Then, they play a guy like Ben. If they hit him they way they are supposed to hit QBs, he shrugs them off. If they hit him hard, they should get flagged (although consistency is lacking). What are they supposed to do? Under the current rules, I think that we should get this called against us more than we do (not a fan of that).

IMO, this is an example of how having different rules for a specific position (and certain players in particular) hurts the game.

RuthlessBurgher
10-24-2011, 10:08 AM
With these quick whistle rules in effect, the awesome play that Ben had throwing the ball away with Suggs draped all over him a couple of years ago would have never happened. It would have counted as a sack. If the QB is completely under control, and you can prevent him from being unnecessarily thrown to the turf, that's one thing. But if a guy is simply hanging onto Ben's leg like a horndog puppy, that shouldn't be in the grasp. The QB is completely free to make a play with his arm. Garbage call.

Jigawatts
10-24-2011, 10:24 AM
I've been calling B.S. on this since the preseason. I'm all for protecting Ben, but you're
taking an exciting element out of the game when blow the whistle like that.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
On one play the whistle blows and goes down as a sack even though Ben shrugged off the defender and threw the ball away. On another, Ben throws the pass downfield then gets pummelled into the ground and the defender took an extra step to get to Ben after he threw it, and no flag. Both plays go against the Steelers, one backing the Steelers up, another hurting our QB.

ikestops85
10-24-2011, 10:46 AM
With these quick whistle rules in effect, the awesome play that Ben had throwing the ball away with Suggs draped all over him a couple of years ago would have never happened. It would have counted as a sack. If the QB is completely under control, and you can prevent him from being unnecessarily thrown to the turf, that's one thing. But if a guy is simply hanging onto Ben's leg like a horndog puppy, that shouldn't be in the grasp. The QB is completely free to make a play with his arm. Garbage call.

The problem is the officials are so inconsistent with the call. Why didn't they call Kolb down in the endzone when Woodley had him? Defensive linemen and linebackers have most QBs in grasp and control when they first get hands on them. Ben and Tebow are some of the few exceptions.

The ridiculous part of the rule is in most cases the QB still gets hit after the supposed grasp and control rule is called. So does it really protect the QB? I think the only thing it does is stifle the abilities of a QB like Ben.

pittpete
10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
The problem is the officials are so inconsistent with the call. Why didn't they call Kolb down in the endzone when Woodley had him?

Exactly the point I was trying to make when I wrote this.

BTW, are Vick and Ben presumably in the same scrambling QB category?

skyhawk
10-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Should have been a penalty for a hit below the knees.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Inconsistent calls re: "in the grasp" by the officials? Whatever are you talking about??

[youtube:tzdog3v5]X5Qw0Rvc1wk[/youtube:tzdog3v5]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: