PDA

View Full Version : Teams & their Wins

papillon
10-20-2011, 11:23 PM
With all the talk of how weak the teams are that the Steelers have beaten, I thought I'd do a little work and get the records of the opponents for any team that is over .500. The results are rather interesting, but really what you would expect.

San Diego * 4-18
Tennessee * 8-8
Raiders * 9-14
Giants * 7-15
Redskins * 5-11
Packers * 11-18
Lions * 12-16
Bucs * 8-16
Saints * 8-16
49ers * 17-12
Patriots * 15-14
Buffalo * 13-10
Ravens * 10-13
Bengals * 7-16
Steelers * 9-19

Not anything earth shattering you would expect that the won/loss records of the teams that are being beaten by the good teams would be sub .500 However, there are three teams that have beaten teams whose combined record is over .500

Take it for what's it's worth; the Steelers aren't the only winning team beating up on the lesser teams in the league.

Pappy

flippy
10-21-2011, 12:05 AM
I was curious about this earlier this week. Thanks for posting.

The way I look at it, winning ugly builds character and gets you ready for the playoffs. The more experience you have winning close games, the better. Even if it's against bad teams.

Winning by big margins week in and week out leads to overconfidence and lack of preparation when the games matter.

The last several years, it's come down to the team playing the best at the end of the season. So I'm looking forward to seeing where we are around week 12+.

The only problem is our quality of schedule looks bad toward the end of the season. I'd rather see better teams late in the season to make sure we're ready for the playoffs.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
With all the talk of how weak the teams are that the Steelers have beaten, I thought I'd do a little work and get the records of the opponents for any team that is over .500. The results are rather interesting, but really what you would expect.

San Diego * 4-18
Tennessee * 8-8
Raiders * 9-14
Giants * 7-15
Redskins * 5-11
Packers * 11-18
Lions * 12-16
Bucs * 8-16
Saints * 8-16
49ers * 17-12
Patriots * 15-14
Buffalo * 13-10
Ravens * 10-13
Bengals * 7-16
Steelers * 9-19

Not anything earth shattering you would expect that the won/loss records of the teams that are being beaten by the good teams would be sub .500 However, there are three teams that have beaten teams whose combined record is over .500

Take it for what's it's worth; the Steelers aren't the only winning team beating up on the lesser teams in the league.

Pappy

Great gumshoeing, Pappy, thanks for that perspective!

Pahn711
10-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Interesting post. But in a league where typically any team can beat any other in a given week, its hard for me to take any analysis of that seriously.

Discipline of Steel
10-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Interesting post. But in a league where typically any team can beat any other in a given week, its hard for me to take any analysis of that seriously.

This is a case of trends which have much greater statistical validity than the single games you describe.

williar
10-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Very true. With exception of GB, NE, I have a hard time buying into any team being that great. I mentioned those teams because they have offenses that can outscore anybody.

I know that our schedule looks easy but our team can be notorious for playing down to their level of competition. I will never forget 2007 and 2009, when we lost to some really bad teams. It has been a very good sign this year that, so far, we are beating teams we should beat. If we stay away from multiple turnovers, which is the talent equalizer, I like our chances in any game......