PDA

View Full Version : Want to know why our offense is so sluggish and predictible?

Mister Pittsburgh
10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Bruce Arians.....

On the Steelers: Big Ben's wish list topper: no huddle

Thursday, October 20, 2011

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lake Fong/Post-Gazette

LaMarr Woodley gets ready for practice Wednesday.

Ben Roethlisberger wants to run the no-huddle offense more often and admits to some disappointment because his coaches will not let him.

"Yeah, a little bit," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "I feel we can change it up. I think it's a weapon for us, and we just haven't had a chance to get into it yet."

The quarterback, in his eighth season, has had two offensive coordinators, and both will be on the field when the Steelers play the Cardinals at Arizona Sunday. Ken Whisenhunt tutored him from 2004 through 2006, then became Arizona's head coach. Bruce Arians succeeded him as coordinator in 2007.

Roethlisberger, who admits to having had some difficulties accepting Whisenhunt's tight rein on a young quarterback, has a good relationship, personal and professional, with Arians, and his desire to use more no-huddle may not be an issue between them. But the quarterback admits to lobbying Arians to run it "all the time."

"I wanted to get into it last week," Roethlisberger said of the Steelers 17-13 victory against Jacksonville at Heinz Field. "I love doing it. I think we have so many weapons we need to utilize."

Roethlisberger said the Steelers generally go to a no-huddle when their offense bogs down, but he would prefer to use it in many different situations.

"I like to do it every game regardless how we're doing," Roethlisberger said. "Traditionally, we've kind of gotten into it when we've struggled on offense, when it's a couple three-and-out. I went to him this past game, I think at the eight-minute mark [of the fourth quarter] after we went three-and-out a couple times to try to change up the pace."

One of the reasons Roethlisberger prefers the no-huddle -- and perhaps his coaches not as much -- is that it swings the play-calling from the offensive coordinator to the quarterback. Roethlisberger acknowledged as much.

"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called from the sideline, it's off of tendencies, which when you have a good coordinator like we do, they know tenedencies pretty well. I have a feel for who's playing well, who's doing good things, the looks on defensive fronts, the secondary. For me, it's a rhythm thing as well."

Arians has said he does not like to use the no-huddle on the road because it is tougher for everyone to hear the calls. Roethlisberger said yesterday he has no trouble running it away from home.

"Absolutely, we've done it everywhere. I don't think there's an issue with it."
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11293/1183437-66-2.stm

Isn't it time Arians, and the Steelers for that matter, hand the reigns to the offense over to their two time Superbowl winning QB? I mean isn't the ONLY reason we won the Superbowl over Arizona due to Ben running the no huddle and calling the show? Sorry but at this point Ben is a veteran QB in the NFL and has had a ton of success so let him be the franchise QB you drafted, and signed, and who has brought you more success then you dreamed! Get out of the dang 1980's mentality and utilize your weapons and the leagues rules to your advantage.

I think with that quote in RED Ben is letting the cat out of the bag a little bit without fully blasting Arians.

feltdizz
10-20-2011, 12:52 PM
our offense is sluggish and predictable because Ben and BA are sluggish and predictable.

every year Ben talks about how great BA is, every year he talks about wanting to run the no huddle after a bad game, every year he says he isn't worried, every year he takes the blame for the OL and offense...

..and every other year we go to a SB.

I don't have a problem with the SB's but I'm tired of hearing the same old no huddle excuse after every game.

feltdizz
10-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Bruce Arians.....

On the Steelers: Big Ben's wish list topper: no huddle

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lake Fong/Post-Gazette

LaMarr Woodley gets ready for practice Wednesday.

Ben Roethlisberger wants to run the no-huddle offense more often and admits to some disappointment because his coaches will not let him.

"Yeah, a little bit," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "I feel we can change it up. I think it's a weapon for us, and we just haven't had a chance to get into it yet."

The quarterback, in his eighth season, has had two offensive coordinators, and both will be on the field when the Steelers play the Cardinals at Arizona Sunday. Ken Whisenhunt tutored him from 2004 through 2006, then became Arizona's head coach. Bruce Arians succeeded him as coordinator in 2007.

Roethlisberger, who admits to having had some difficulties accepting Whisenhunt's tight rein on a young quarterback, has a good relationship, personal and professional, with Arians, and his desire to use more no-huddle may not be an issue between them. But the quarterback admits to lobbying Arians to run it "all the time."

"I wanted to get into it last week," Roethlisberger said of the Steelers 17-13 victory against Jacksonville at Heinz Field. "I love doing it. I think we have so many weapons we need to utilize."

Roethlisberger said the Steelers generally go to a no-huddle when their offense bogs down, but he would prefer to use it in many different situations.

"I like to do it every game regardless how we're doing," Roethlisberger said. "Traditionally, we've kind of gotten into it when we've struggled on offense, when it's a couple three-and-out. I went to him this past game, I think at the eight-minute mark [of the fourth quarter] after we went three-and-out a couple times to try to change up the pace."

One of the reasons Roethlisberger prefers the no-huddle -- and perhaps his coaches not as much -- is that it swings the play-calling from the offensive coordinator to the quarterback. Roethlisberger acknowledged as much.

"A lot of it is I'm calling the plays, so I can see what the defense is. When a play is called from the sideline, it's off of tendencies, which when you have a good coordinator like we do, they know tenedencies pretty well. I have a feel for who's playing well, who's doing good things, the looks on defensive fronts, the secondary. For me, it's a rhythm thing as well."

Arians has said he does not like to use the no-huddle on the road because it is tougher for everyone to hear the calls. Roethlisberger said yesterday he has no trouble running it away from home.

"Absolutely, we've done it everywhere. I don't think there's an issue with it."
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11293/1183437-66-2.stm

Isn't it time Arians, and the Steelers for that matter, hand the reigns to the offense over to their two time Superbowl winning QB? I mean isn't the ONLY reason we won the Superbowl over Arizona due to Ben running the no huddle and calling the show? Sorry but at this point Ben is a veteran QB in the NFL and has had a ton of success so let him be the franchise QB you drafted, and signed, and who has brought you more success then you dreamed! Get out of the dang 1980's mentality and utilize your weapons and the leagues rules to your advantage.

I think with that quote in RED Ben is letting the cat out of the bag a little bit without fully blasting Arians.

We didn't win the SB because we went no huddle... we beat AZ because smokey smoked his DB a few times.

BURGH86STEEL
10-20-2011, 01:20 PM
I suppose the coaches have their reasons for not going no huddle. Injuries a long the Oline and young WR's are probably at the top of the list of reasons.

I believe the no huddle is best saved for when it's needed. That way, teams might find it more difficult to determine trends and tendencies.

I don't believe the no huddle is a quick fix for a struggling offense. I bet it's had mixed results over the years and is not as consistent as some believe.

Leper Friend
10-20-2011, 01:24 PM
I bet it's had mixed results over the years and is not as consistent as some believe.
Based on what exactly ?

Pahn711
10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I suppose the coaches have their reasons for not going no huddle. Injuries a long the Oline and young WR's are probably at the top of the list of reasons.

I believe the no huddle is best saved for when it's needed. That way, teams might find it more difficult to determine trends and tendencies.

I don't believe the no huddle is a quick fix for a struggling offense. I bet it's had mixed results over the years and is not as consistent as some believe.

:Agree A few weeks ago it was being talked about that Ben missed some easy first downs because the young WRs were not making the correct route adjustments at the line. The No-Huddle has the potential to exacerbate that problem further. And I believe Arians addressed this concern in the Ron Cook interview as well. He said with the constantly changing Oline, getting everyone on their blocking assignments would be difficult.

BURGH86STEEL
10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I bet it's had mixed results over the years and is not as consistent as some believe.
Based on what exactly ?

It's not a fact but an opinion. I believe if someone took the time to break down the times the Steelers went no huddle they would probably find mixed results. Sometimes it worked out and some times it didn't. Like it didn't work vs Packers in the SB nor did it work vs the Ravens in the first game this season.

Pahn711
10-20-2011, 01:39 PM
It's not a fact but an opinion. I believe if someone took the time to break down the times the Steelers went no huddle they would probably find mixed results. Sometimes it worked out and some times it didn't. Like it didn't work vs Packers in the SB nor did it work vs the Ravens in the first game this season.

He also threw a pick against Tennessee right before the half two weeks ago, if I'm not mistaken.

hawaiiansteel
10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

>> Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger lobbied offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to go to a no-huddle attack last Sunday after the Steelers offense had bogged down. Roethlisberger said he wanted to switch things up with about eight minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Steelers quarterback has made no secret that he's a big fan of the no-huddle attack.

"A lot of it is that I am calling the plays, so I can see the defenses," Roethlisberger said. "When a play is called from the sidelines, it's based off tendencies, which when you have a good coordinator like we do they know tendencies pretty well. I have a feel for who is playing well and who is doing good things. It's a rhythm thing."

Roethlisberger is 6 for 13 for 86 yards this season when the Steelers have used a no-huddle offense.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1bHqeYqBM

Pahn711
10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Roethlisberger is 6 for 13 for 86 yards this season when the Steelers have used a no-huddle offense.

Ben has been lobbying for more No-Huddle since his sophmore season, seems like. And those statistics have a strong potential of being misleading. Apart from maybe the last drive against the Colts (and I'm not even sure they used it then), the No-Huddle doesn't appear to have worked when we really needed it.

hawaiiansteel
10-20-2011, 04:23 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

Arians addresses Ben/no-huddle comments

October 20th, 2011

Here are three questions that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians answered about the no-huddle offense. It became something of a simmering topic this week when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he would like to run it more.

Q: What did you think about Ben saying that he’d like to run the no-huddle more?

A: That doesn’t surprise me, because he likes it a lot and I like it a lot. So, hopefully, we’ll get to it one of these days. He comes to me 2-3 times a game, and I tell him “maybe next series.” (But) we usually have a plan for it, and it’s usually the third or fourth series in the game. But it wasn’t really necessary this past game. In the second half, we talked about it. He wanted to go, and I didn’t. I didn’t believe it was time to speed the game up. We just needed to make more first downs in that second half.

Q: How does it benefit the offense?

A: It helps you a bunch causing communication problems for (a defense), as long as there are no communication problems for you. That’s the big thing, and there have been a lot of interchanging pieces. So, we’re not as coherent as I’d like to be with all 11 guys to run a lot of it, but we’re capable of running it. And it may become a major force like it has in the past. So, we’ll see.

Q: Does it come down to you wanting to call the plays as opposed to the quarterback?

A: No. I have all the trust in the world in him calling the plays. No it’s the other 10 guys in the huddle functioning properly at that speed. He can play that a whole lot faster than the other 10 guys. When I see everybody playing as fast as he does in the no-huddle then I think we’ll be more than ready.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... CY.twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/10/20/arians-addresses-benno-huddle-comments/#.TqCB65w2gCY.twitter)

Starlifter
10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I'd say my views on BA are well known - but it's absurd to think handing the play calling over to Ben is the answer to a sluggish offense. certainly there are times when a no huddle is appropriate, and it's likely we haven't used it as much as we could/should recently - but this isn't 1975. The game is far more complex and though I don't think highly of BA's play calling - it'd be a mistake to let Ben do the majority of it.

hawaiiansteel
10-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Dejan Kovacevic's Blog -
A place to talk Pittsburgh Sports

Wakeup Call: No-huddle? No brainer, right?

October 20th, 2011

>> High-octane Ben?

Ben Roethlisberger is openly lobbying Bruce Arians to get the Steelers to go no-huddle more often, maybe even all the time. That, the QB said, would allow the offense to develop more of a tempo, as well as allowing him to call more audibles.

Much as I’ve hated watching Pitt do the no-huddle, I’d love seeing the Steelers do it.

Makes perfect sense. There’s an elite quarterback and, as we saw again when that ankle limited his mobility against Tennessee, he’s dynamite when working quickly. There’s an elite tight end in Heath Miller, a Hall of Fame possession guy in Hines Ward to go quickly over the middle, a deep threat in Mike Wallace to keep the secondary honest, and a quality running back in Rashard Mendenhall. All that, and it takes the onus off the line the same way we saw against Tennessee. They only have to hold their blocks for a couple seconds.

Do it out here this weekend. Don’t wait.

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... ner-right/ (http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2011/10/20/wakeup-call-no-huddle-no-brainer-right/)

birtikidis
10-21-2011, 12:02 PM
The problem with the No Huddle is that we can't exactly trust Brown and Sanders to know what to do. There have been instances of them missing hot reads and other assignments. They're exciting players so you have to have them on the field, but you have to know what to do quickly in the no huddle.

feltdizz
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Probably a good thing not speeding the game up in the second half last week.

The no-huddle can work but it can also lead to some fast 3 and outs.

NorthCoast
10-21-2011, 12:41 PM
so 5 punts and a total of 50 yds in a half isn't enough evidence you should try something a little different? if Ben was in a funk and he felt it would give him a kick in the ass, why not run it? We see what Ben is capable of when runs it and at that point the O could not have gotten any worse.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-21-2011, 01:31 PM
The problem with the No Huddle is that we can't exactly trust Brown and Sanders to know what to do. There have been instances of them missing hot reads and other assignments. They're exciting players so you have to have them on the field, but you have to know what to do quickly in the no huddle.

$$$ quote. Maybe they're ready now, maybe they're not - but they need to be for the no huddle to work well.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-21-2011, 03:00 PM

You have to have them on the field because they're exciting? How about having the players on the field who can get the job done? If Brown and Sanders can't run the no-huddle, then take them out and let Cotchery and Battle play...or do they not know what to do, either? Pretty sure that Heath, Hines, and Wallace know what to do.

hawaiiansteel
10-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Steelers' Arians: No hurry for no-huddle

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 21, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-10-20/1021ariansSTEEllCAP-b.jpg

Bruce Arians is used to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger lobbying for the no-huddle offense.

The Steelers offensive coordinator said he hasn't abandoned the fast-paced attack as much as he hasn't quite reached a comfort level with it. Injuries are partly to blame, Arians said Thursday, particularly on the offensive line.

The Steelers have used six different starting line combinations this season.

"There have been a lot of interchanging pieces," Arians said. "We're not as coherent as I'd like to be with all 11 guys to run a lot of it, but we're capable of running it. And it may become a major force like it has in the past."

Roethlisberger said Wednesday he would like to go no-huddle more frequently than the Steelers have through the first six games.

The Steelers have employed their no-huddle twice this season, with Roethlisberger completing 6 of 13 passes for 86 yards.

Arians chuckled when asked if he has resisted the no-huddle because it takes play-calling duties away from him.

"No, I have all the trust in the world in (Roethlisberger) calling the plays," said Arians, who added the Steelers prepare to use a no-huddle in the third or fourth series of a game if they need it. "It's the other 10 guys in the huddle functioning properly at that speed. (Roethlisberger) can play that a whole lot faster than the other 10 guys. When I see everybody playing as fast as he does in the no-huddle, then I think we'll be more than ready."

Veteran receiver Hines Ward said "that's Ben and B.A." when asked his thoughts about the no-huddle.

"I just catch the ball when my number's called," the Steelers' offensive co-captain said. "I don't want to even get into that. It's not my say so. Whatever those two decide they want to do, then so be it."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1bROXJhpt (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763016.html#ixzz1bROXJhpt)