PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Scott most disappointing offensive player

hawaiiansteel
10-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Poll: Most disappointing offensive player

October, 19, 2011
By Jamison Hensley

With three teams having winning records in the division, there are a lot of positives in the AFC North these days. But for the sake of this blog, let's take a moment to look at some players who have yet to live up to expectations this season.

Here are the candidates for the most disappointing offensive players in the AFC North:

Bengals running back Cedric Benson: He's been held below 65 yards in four of six games this season. His 3.9 yards-per-carry ranks 36th in the NFL.

Browns running back Peyton Hillis: Strep throat forced him to miss one game and a hamstring injury limited him in another. He is averaging 52.8 yards per game, which is 26th in the league.

Ravens wide receiver Lee Evans: An ankle injury has made this deep threat a non-factor in the Ravens passing attack. He has two forgettable catches for 45 yards.

Steelers offensive tackle Jonathan Scott: He was supposed to hold down the left tackle spot after Pittsburgh cut Max Starks and Flozell Adams. Instead, Scott has allowed 3.5 sacks and has been penalized three times for holding in five games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... ive-player (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/33586/poll-most-disappointing-offensive-player)

BradshawsHairdresser
10-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Scott has been disappointing, but if you want a silver lining, he's probably not costing the Steelers near as much $$ as Benson, Hillis and Evans are costing their teams.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Disappointing? I guess that depends on your viewpoint. I'd say that he has not met hopes, but many around here did not have high expectations.

As far as I can see he has a cap hit this season of $1.3M. That was after signing a new deal this season. The LT position is not usually held down by a $1.3M player.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Most disappointing offensive player?

Mike Wallace.

He was supposed to get 2000 yards receiving this year.

For that to happen, you need a 125 yards-per-game average.

He's only averaging 102 yards-per game through 6 games.

At that rate, he'd only get 1632 yards receiving this year.

What a slacker.

:wink:

Notleadpoisoned
10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Disappointing? I guess that depends on your viewpoint. I'd say that he has not met hopes, but many around here did not have high expectations.

I don't know of any Steelers fans who were expecting a Pro Bowl season out of Scott. At best I thought that he might be a serviceable OL but certainly nothing more than that.

ikestops85
10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
It's hard to be disappointed with Scott's performance when I didn't expect him last as a starter anyway.

I'll take flack for this but the players I've been most disappointed in so far this season are Woodley and Ben. Both have been extremely inconsistent.

Pahn711
10-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Terrelle Suggs was dominating Scott last year just like Mario Williams and Dwight Freeney did this year. So its not like we didn't know he wouldn't hold up well against the premier pass rushing ends in the league...

fordfixer
10-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Most disappointing offensive player?

Mike Wallace.

He was supposed to get 2000 yards receiving this year.

For that to happen, you need a 125 yards-per-game average.

He's only averaging 102 yards-per game through 6 games.

At that rate, he'd only get 1632 yards receiving this year.

What a slacker.

:wink:

He's a bust 8)

BURGH86STEEL
10-20-2011, 01:23 PM
It's hard to be disappointed with Scott's performance when I didn't expect him last as a starter anyway.

I'll take flack for this but the players I've been most disappointed in so far this season are Woodley and Ben. Both have been extremely inconsistent.

I believe you are correct.

hawaiiansteel
10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Wednesday news and notes

OCTOBER 19, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

Both Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke missed practice today, but Hoke is expected to be ready to play at Arizona on Sunday.

Jason Worilds returned to full practice today, but don't expect him to be automatically thrust into the starting lineup.

On the other hand, it looks like rookie Marcus Gilbert will go back into the starting lineup ahead of Jonathan Scott at right tackle despite the fact that Scott has played well the past two games subbing.

Chris Kemoeatu is also back, though he says the cartilage problem in his knee that has forced him to miss three games will require surgery at season's end. He said he has already had the knee drained three times.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

grotonsteel
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
On the other hand, it looks like rookie Marcus Gilbert will go back into the starting lineup ahead of Jonathan Scott at right tackle despite the fact that Scott has played well the past two games subbing.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

So your starting LT gets beat by a rookie player and a player who has not played Football for more than a year...and people blame Ben for the O-line woes and offense inconsistencies...Wow... :shock:

Pahn711
10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
So your starting LT gets beat by a rookie player and a player who has not played Football for more than a year...and people blame Ben for the O-line woes and offense inconsistencies...Wow... :shock:

No.

They blame Bruce Arians.

hawaiiansteel
10-20-2011, 04:07 PM

No.

They blame Bruce Arians.

some people blame Ben, some blame Bruce Arians, some the OL while others blame Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin for not being more aggressive in acquiring OL help this off-season.

diversity of opinion is what makes message boards fun, if we all thought alike it would be pretty boring for all of us to come here and just agree with each other.

Pahn711
10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
some people blame Ben, some blame Bruce Arians, some the OL while others blame Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin for not being more aggressive in acquiring OL help this off-season.

And yet, I've seen Arians being blamed for front office roster moves, o-line troubles, and Ben throwing arrant passes. Considering at least 90% of this board tends to blame him for everything, I have some standing to back up what I said, even if its not universally true across the board.

diversity of opinion is what makes message boards fun, if we all thought alike it would be pretty boring for all of us to come here and just agree with each other.

My opinion has been attacked just as much as I may have attacked others. I'm all for diversity of opinion, if I wasn't I would have stopped coming here instead of choosing to argue my viewpoints against people who disagree.

RuthlessBurgher
10-20-2011, 06:33 PM

If you folks all thought like me, then we'd all be brilliant.

But we can't all be geniuses. :D

papillon
10-20-2011, 09:58 PM

Woodley has been on a steady climb in his play; even though he started slow he's been getting better each week, I don't think he's been inconsistent. Hopefully his play in the last 2 to 3 games will be what the Steelers get for the remainder of the season.

Ben, OTOH, has been inconsistent and not even from game to game, he's been inconsistent within the same game and that makes for some exciting football. Hopefully, Ben will get it right and start to play like the first half last week the rest of the season.

Pappy