PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin press conference

fordfixer
10-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Mike Tomlin press conference

Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:11 pm | Updated: 4:54 pm, Tue Oct 18, 2011.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... f6878.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/mike-tomlin-press-conference/article_314f6be4-f9c6-11e0-94f0-001a4bcf6878.html)

Excerpts of Mike Tomlin's briefing with the media covering the Steelers:

Injury update:

"From an injury standpoint, we have some good news. Troy Polamalu appears to be good to go. He did a concussion test, and he passed it. He met with our neurosurgeons, and they are very comfortable with where he is. We anticipate him practicing tomorrow, and him moving on throughout the week like everyone else on our football team. Mike Wallace has a minor hamstring injury. It may limit him at the early portion of the week. We have some guys coming back, thankfully. Marcus Gilbert is going to potentially be back at practice this week. We'll let his practice participation dictate if he plays. Mewelde Moore is another guy that is capable of working during this week. We will let his work dictate where we go there. Jason Worilds, Chris Kemoeatu and all of those guys, we anticipate getting them back. Unfortunately, Doug Legursky is going to be out, and he will be out for a number of weeks with a dislocated toe. It didn't require surgery but if you see him walking around, he will be walking around in a boot. He will be out for a number of weeks. Some other guys that have been out but are working their way back to participating, but they'll probably stay on the outside looking in this week, are Casey Hampton, James Harrison and Aaron Smith. Chris Hoke experienced a stinger in the game. He is experiencing some lack of strength in his shoulder. We will continue to monitor him throughout the week. He will have to regain that strength in his shoulder before he can move on and participate. His practice participation is in question as we sit here."

RE: on this week's game in Arizona

"We have clarity in terms of what's in front of us, what our challenges are for this week. We understand we have some work to do. We will start that process with our guys tomorrow. We will take this show on the road, and see if we can get a good road performance, the one we desire to have if we want to be a good football team. I think it's very obvious that we've performed to a winning level at home. We haven't done so on the road. We understand that if we want to be a contender, be a winning team, a January-type team, we have to perform better on the road than we have. We will proceed and prepare this week with that in mind."

Did your guys let up in the second half against Jacksonville?

"No. We weren't able to get a defining signature turnover on defense, and we gave them a possession in the kicking game. We converted the first third-down, and then the second-to-last one. So, we are not moving the ball offensively, in terms of getting first downs. We are not getting the signature turnover or game-defining play defensively, and if you give them a possession in the kicking game, you are going to give them a chance to get back into the game. I am not going to try to make something out of it that it is not. It is not anything mystical. We can't allow those things to happen individually, let alone collectively, and that is what happened."

Is Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton (a former Steelers assistant) playing your defense?

"There are some similarities, no doubt, in terms of what he is doing out there schematically, and with what we are doing, but Ray is a very sharp coach. We have great deal of respect for what he is capable of. He always had strong opinions when he was here, and you see some of those things on tape. It is Ray Horton and the Arizona Cardinals' defense. There will be familiarity. It will help us a little bit in preparation, because the guys that will be on our offense will be able to get a better, more quality look. They will probably play faster because of the similarities, not that it is going to provide some schematic advantage for us in the game, or even from a preparation standpoint. We will have a better opportunity to provide better quality looks for our offense in preparation for the game because of the similarities. But I am sure they will have that same advantage as they prepare for our defense. I think that the Arizona scout team defense will be able to mirror some of the things that we do defensively better than some of the other opponents that they play."

Will you have to change any play call signs?

"No."

Will Jason Worilds be a candidate to start or will you leave Lawrence Timmons at ROLB?

"We are going to let that be determined based on how he looks during the week. As always, as these guys work and come off of injuries, we are not going to anoint or insert them into any roles whatsoever. We are going to watch them perform over the week and let them earn their roles if you will. We think that is appropriate. We did the same thing last week with Rashard Mendenhall and some others. We will do it with those guys as they work their way back in this week."

Re: Lawrence Timmons:

"He has done some nice things for us. He is still a guy in development from a minute detail standpoint, and some of the things that go with that position. Obviously, the minute details oftentimes are the things that produce the splash plays that we are kind of referring to. So, we are not going to worry so much about that. What we are going to worry about with him are the details of the assignment and the preparation throughout the week, to make sure he is on his screws. Those other things will come. He is a talented player. We are not displeased with what he has done thus far, and we will expect him to continue to improve, as I am sure he will."

Re: Chris Kemoeatu:

"We expect him to work this week in practice, and we will let that dictate his level of play."

How big of a role has Max Starks had in the recent productivity of the running game?

"One-fifth if you are just talking about the offensive line, and one-eleventh if you are talking about our offense."

Re: Level of play on the road:

"You acknowledge that playing on the road creates some things that you don't necessarily deal with at home, silent counts and so forth. That provides advantages for their defense, particularly with crowd noise. Whatever the elements are, I am less concerned about that and more concerned about us putting together winning performances. It is a hostile environment. You don't have the support of your own crowd. I am just acknowledging that we have been below the line in many instances on the road, and that needs to change."

Re: Defense only having two turnovers at this point:

"No, I can't pinpoint it, but what I can say is that you generally are opportunistic when you are on the minute details and you are playing extremely hard. So that is all we are going to do. We are going to remain focused on the minute details of our assignment. We are going to try to play together within the scheme, and we are going to play extremely hard. We think that those opportunities will increase as you do those things. That has always been my philosophy in regards to those types of plays, so I am not going to change in that regard. What we are not going to do is start taking calculated risks and doing things that are unsound in the effort to make those things happen. We are playing good defense. We just need some of those signature type plays that will make the ends of games more comfortable."

Did Troy get hurt when he was diving to tackle Maurice Jones-Drew?

"I think so. But in football, it could have been an accumulation of things, but I would think that that would have been the play that significant damage had been done."

Did you talk to your medical staff about giving a phone to Troy?

"I really didn't need to. He was talking to his wife. He has had a history of concussion-like symptoms in the past. She was concerned. In this era of player safety, you would think that common sense would prevail in some of these things. It wasn't a personal call. He wasn't checking on his bank account. He was talking to his wife to let her know that he was fine, and that was it. He borrowed a phone from a doctor."

Would you have a problem with it if he got fined?

"I don't have a problem with anything. I am not anticipating anything. Like I said, I would hope that common sense would prevail in this instance and in the era of player safety, such as we are in."

Is Brett Keisel doing anything different with guys being out?

"No, he is Brett Keisel. He is doing his usual things."

Do they throw to Larry Fitzgerald because he is open or just because he's capable of making plays?

"Sometimes you can just throw to him. This guy is big, and he is even bigger down the field. When you get him in one-on-one situations down the field, chances are he is going to catch the football. Sometimes, when you give him two-on-one situations, he catches the football. He is unquestionably the best in the world at that. So, you couldn't argue with throws to him in any juncture, really."

Do you have to give Ike Taylor more help this week to cover Fitzgerald?

"We are going to have to do a lot of things to try and slow this man down."

How is (Arizona QB) Kevin Kolb doing?

"He has been solid. Like what we talked about earlier, what Fitzgerald has done, of course, Kolb has been a part of that. But he is spreading the ball around. He is just not solely looking at him. Early Doucet is the No. 1 receiver in the NFC in third-down conversions. He is spreading the ball around to several tight ends, Jeff King and Todd Heap. Also Rob Housler has done some nice things. He is doing a nice job of administering the offense. I am sure he is growing along the way. But he has done a nice job of handling things and being inclusive, but more importantly than anything else, he puts the ball where it is supposed to be at the appropriate times."

Has LaMarr Woodley stepped it up? And if so, is that because he is getting more sacks or is it just because he has been given opportunities?

"Probably both."

How has he stepped it up?

"He's got more sacks."

steelz09
10-19-2011, 02:22 PM
"He has done some nice things for us. He is still a guy in development from a minute detail standpoint, and some of the things that go with that position. Obviously, the minute details oftentimes are the things that produce the splash plays that we are kind of referring to."

I thought OLB was his more natural position? Where are these splash plays we've been hearing about for the past several years? At this point, he is last IMO in splash plays amongst our linebackers.

grotonsteel
10-19-2011, 04:28 PM
I am interested in seeing how Jason W plays against Cardinals.

ikestops85
10-19-2011, 04:37 PM

I predict a Clark Haggans like performance 8)

hawaiiansteel
10-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Mike Tomlin

by CRAIG WOLFLEY on OCTOBER 20, 2011

“We are going to remain focused on the minute details of our assignments, we are going to try to play within the scheme, we are going to play real hard.” (Mike Tomlin)

The Steelers are sitting at 4-2, with a defense that has created just two takeaways. One fumble recovery, one interception. Not exactly where you want to be in the plus/minus ratio, defensively speaking. After posting 35 takeaways last year the Steelers are on pace to rack up just 5. That’s a drought of famine-like proportions.

The question posed to Coach Mike was about the takeaways, and how or what he intended to do to reverse that trend. The underlying question is the presumption that you have to change things up. It takes internal gullet strength to be the head honcho and not to “change things for the sake of change,” which was another Chuck Noll no-no.

Changing something just to change made no sense to Chuck.

What Mike Tomlin said in the above quote is exactly what Chuck Noll would have said in another time, another place.

1. Stay focused on the minute details; everything from technique to film review to physical preparation (on and off the field) during the week is to be reviewed and ratcheted up if necessary. But the bottom line is that you don’t want to move away from the basic essentials of what has made you successful in the past.

2. Play within the scheme. Again, no cowboys need apply. The schematics are fine, just do the job. No more, no less.

3. Play hard. Win your one on ones. All the skullduggery in the world ain’t gonna help if you can’t win your one on one matchups. Playing hard means playing to the whistle which includes running to the ball at all times. Good things happen to those who hustle.

When you do those things takeaways tend to come. And when they come, they generally come in “bunches.”

http://craigwolfley.com/2011/10/mike-tomlin/

Pahn711
10-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Eh, part of me still prefers Timmons and Foote over Worilds. He hasn't made any plays of note that I can recall since he has been with the team.

steelfin
10-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Timmons has made little if any impact on the outside. If Worilds isn't at least as productive as Timmons on the outside, he shouldn't be on team.

We have had absolutely no pass rush from his side since Harrison has been out....NONE...

I have not been a big Foote fan since we brought him back...but I thought that Foote and Farrior have played admirable in the middle the last two games. I actually think the run defense has been better....

Not saying Foote is better than Timmons...I guess I just have not been that impressed with Timmons play this year...not #1 pick worthy...at least not up to this point...

Pahn711
10-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Timmons has made little if any impact on the outside. If Worilds isn't at least as productive as Timmons on the outside, he shouldn't be on team.

We have had absolutely no pass rush from his side since Harrison has been out....NONE...

I have not been a big Foote fan since we brought him back...but I thought that Foote and Farrior have played admirable in the middle the last two games. I actually think the run defense has been better....

Not saying Foote is better than Timmons...I guess I just have not been that impressed with Timmons play this year...not #1 pick worthy...at least not up to this point...

Yeah I understand, I guess I just haven't seen enough of Worilds to have a strong opinion of him either way.

winwithd
10-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I believe Worilds had a sack late in the Miami win last year. I wonder why we haven't heard anything from Sylvester on the inside. Has he played since Deebo has been out or are Foote and Farrior taking all the snaps?