PDA

View Full Version : Raiders-Bengals talking trade; Carson Palmer for 2 #1 picks?

grotonsteel
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
For two 1st Rd picks???????????????? Are you kidding me???? Man i hate this trade. Bungholes getting 2 1st Rd picks for a washed up QB.

I guess Al Davis lives on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-raiders/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/18/report-bengals-could-to-shipping-palmer-to-raiders/)

The Raiders want Carson Palmer, and the Raiders just might get Carson Palmer.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the Raiders are close to a deal that would send Palmer from the Bengals to Oakland for a first-round draft pick and a conditional future pick. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the conditional pick is a 2013 first-round selection.

JAR
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
2 first rounders for Cornholio? They're freaking crazy.

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Definitely a 2012 #1 pick, and a conditional pick in 2013 that could be a #1 or a #2 pick, depending on Carson's performance in the Silver & Black. Palmer's played for Hue Jackson before on both the college and NFL levels. If this deal goes through, Oakland would have only a 5th and 6th round pick in the 2012 draft (before this trade, they already dealt away their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th rounders in the 2012 draft).

FOX Sports Exclusive
Bengals on verge of dealing Palmer
By Jay Glazer
Updated Oct 18, 2011 10:41 AM ET

Carson Palmer could soon have his wish.

The Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders are very close to a deal that would send the former Cincy starting quarterback to Oakland to take the place of injured Jason Campbell in exchange for a first-round pick in 2012 and a future second-round pick that could escalate to a first-rounder based on his play.

Palmer demanded a trade at the end of last season, threatening retirement. Until now, Bengals owner Mike Brown was insistent upon making the latter his course of action.

However, former Bengals assistant (and current Raiders head coach) Hue Jackson has been working on Brown, as the two have a close relationship.

Brown may finally decide the pot is too sweet to pass up.

The deal is expected to be done by Tuesday’s 4 p.m. ET trade deadline.

Campbell was injured in Sunday's 24-17 win vs. the Cleveland Browns. The Raiders' starting QB underwent surgery for a broken collarbone on Monday, and is expected to miss a minimum of six weeks.

MeetJoeGreene
10-18-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't get this. Carson isn't fast.

I also stole this from another board:

In a completely unrelated move, the Chargers have signed Kimo Von Oelhoffen

anger 82&95
10-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't get this. Carson isn't fast.

I also stole this from another board:

In a completely unrelated move, the Chargers have signed Kimo Von Oelhoffen
Maybe not at running, but the dude is wicked fast in a sausage engulfing contest…

MaxAMillion
10-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Bengals may actuallt get good based on this deal. They have some good young talent on their team already. Add a couple more first round picks next year and they could have something.

Amazing the Steelers have been able to stay fairly consistent considering how far down they draft most years.

Steelhere10
10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Thats called being a team with NO direction.
They give up a pick for Price
They give up picks for a washed up Qb
The give up picks for Cambell
So why not save the picks and package them for a franchise Qb and draft Luck.
I guess Big Al is still living after all.

steelblood
10-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Even a 1st and a 2nd is waaaaaay too much for Carson. How in the world do you give up anything more than a single 2nd rounder for a QB who hasn't had a good season in 3 years, has had terrible knee and arm injuries, and never has dealt well with blitzes. I'm shocked. Cincinnati is getting an amazing pay day.

Oviedo
10-18-2011, 12:57 PM
I guess George Allen's philosophy of we don't need no draft picks is alive and well with the Raiders.

I think they have traded about 50% of their picks away over the next couple of years.

hawaiiansteel
10-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Bengals have pieces in place for renaissance

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 18, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/a-dalton-a-j-green.jpg?w=215

The Bengals got amazing value in their trade of Carson Palmer.

It’s almost as if the last few years of Palmer’s decline never happened. The Raiders gave up a first round pick in 2012 and a second round pick in 2013 that could improve to a first. That’s the price we’d expect Palmer to cost years ago, before his arm strength and accuracy started to tail off.

Bengals fans have a right to be excited about their young team. For all his faults, owner Mike Brown has done a nice job drafting in recent years at the top of the draft.

His top two picks this year: Andy Dalton and A.J Green — have re-shaped the franchise.

In 2009, the team added a strong starting tight end (Jermaine Gresham), a fine pass rusher (Carlos Dunlap), and a good defensive line piece in Geno Atkins.

The Bengals have seen some of their other recent picks slowly develop into solid contributors: Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, and Jerome Simpson.

Go back even further and you find some top-shelf talent picked like cornerback Leon Hall, tackle Andrew Whitworth, and cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who left for Houston.

This is a better track record than most of the league. If Dalton is for real and the Bengals can hit on their two first round picks next year, they have the makings of a strong young core that will be dangerous in the AFC North.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... naissance/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/18/bengals-have-pieces-in-place-for-renaissance/)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-19-2011, 10:12 AM
During the Summer I posted something along the lines of this being a brilliant negotiating stance taken by Brown. He can hold on to CP which drives up the perception of his value and somebody would eventually overpay. The only difference is that I also said that it probably wasn't by design and that even if someone would offer up too much the Bengals still wouldn't take it.

Guess I was only half right. I figured the overpayment would be a second or possibly even a late first. Never two firsts - or a first and second.

steelblood
10-19-2011, 10:41 AM
I guess George Allen's philosophy of we don't need no draft picks is alive and well with the Raiders.

I think they have traded about 50% of their picks away over the next couple of years.

Yes, but most of those picks (other than the Palmer trade) were for picks in other drafts or for young players with promise. In effect, most of those picks went toward adding the sort of players they would have drafted with the traded away picks anyway.

ikestops85
10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Could you imagine where the Bengals would be sitting if Brown had taken the Redskin offer of 2 1st round picks for Ochocinco? It's still way too early to decide if Dalton is going to be good but they do have other young players on the roster who look pretty solid.

feltdizz
10-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Stupid azzz Raiders.. I bet this was Al Davis' last request just to get back at us one last time.

hawaiiansteel
10-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Carson Palmer trade is steal for Bengals

OCT 18
By Jamison Hensley

No one expected the Bengals to trade quarterback Carson Palmer. Even Bengals owner Mike Brown didn't anticipate a move five days ago.

But as the saying goes, the Raiders made the Bengals a deal that they couldn't refuse. Actually, it was a deal no owner or general manager could refuse.

Cincinnati gets a first-round draft pick in 2012 and a second-rounder in 2013 that can become a first-rounder for a quarterback who was never going to play for the team again. The Bengals got two high draft picks when they already have Palmer's replacement in Andy Dalton.

This is a steal for the Bengals. This is highway robbery. Whatever exaggeratory cliché you have, it fits the situation.

Say what you want about how Brown has run the team over the years, but his hard-line stance with Palmer paid off. Big time. Brown couldn't get a better deal in his fantasy football league.

This would have been a steal for the Bengals if they were able to get just the 2012 first-round pick from Oakland. The conditional second-rounder in 2013 is just icing on the Bengals' celebration cake.

Remember, this is a deal for a 31-year-old Carson Palmer, not Andrew Luck.

Maybe you could rationalize the draft picks if the Raiders were getting the Palmer from 2005, the one who threw for 3,836 yards and 32 touchdowns. But Oakland is getting the 2011 Palmer, one who has gone through knee and elbow injuries.

From 2008 to 2010, Palmer's QBR was 50, which ranked 26th in the NFL (according to ESPN Stats & Information). He threw 50 touchdowns and 37 interceptions during that time.

In 2010, Palmer tied a career high with 20 interceptions. His 23 turnovers that season were fourth most in the NFL. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Palmer hasn't been among the NFL's statistically elite quarterbacks since 2007, the season before he missed 12 games with a serious elbow injury.

Throw out the cost of what it took to get Palmer and the Raiders are winners in their own way, too. Palmer is an upgrade over backup Kyle Boller and even Jason Campbell (who injured his collarbone this past Sunday) when healthy. Palmer is probably a better quarterback as of today than Dalton because of his arm strength and experience.

But Palmer was never going to put on a Bengals jersey again. Even if he did, no one in the locker room would welcome him back after he chose to have an extended vacation instead of playing for Cincinnati. After the disastrous four-win season from a year ago, it was time for a fresh start and that meant no Chad Ochocinco and no Palmer.

Brown was probably resigned to trading Palmer next offseason. The Bengals probably would've been ecstatic for a third-round pick for Palmer. A second-round pick? The Who Dey Nation would've called that a pipe dream.

In the NFL, teams are willing to give up second-round picks for emerging 20-something quarterbacks like Matt Cassel in 2009 or Kevin Kolb in 2011. They'll even trade a couple of first-rounders for a 26-year-old quarterback coming off a 4,000-yard Pro Bowl season (Jay Cutler).

Teams just don't give up that much for over-30 passers. In fact, before the Cutler deal, you have to go back to 2002 to find another non-rookie quarterback traded for a first-round pick, and that was Drew Bledsoe.

This just doesn't happen. And this type of good fortune rarely happens for the Bengals, who've had two winning seasons in the past 20 years.

The only way this deal comes back to haunt the Bengals is if Palmer leads the Raiders to the postseason and bumps Cincinnati out of a playoff spot in the process. That would be an embarrassing turn of events.

But the Bengals can't think of such scenarios when a deal like this sits in front of them. It would've sent the wrong message to an already-skeptical fan base if Brown traded Palmer to the Raiders for a 2013 third-round pick. That would just be cutting your losses and helping a potential playoff competitor in the process.

The Bengals head into their bye week with a 4-2 record, a highly ranked defense, an exciting rookie wide receiver and a developing young quarterback. There's a newness and excitement with this team again.

The trading of Palmer Tuesday marks a welcomed surprise in an already-surprising season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... or-bengals (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/33623/palmer-trade-is-steal-for-bengals)

Dee Dub
10-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Bengals have pieces in place for renaissance

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 18, 2011

....If Dalton is for real and the Bengals can hit on their two first round picks next year, they have the makings of a strong young core that will be dangerous in the AFC North.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... naissance/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/18/bengals-have-pieces-in-place-for-renaissance/)

That right there is a BIG IF. My guess is Dalton will never be more than a serviceable guy. And after a season and a season's worth of game film, opponents will have the film that reflects a very limited ability and the information of where the holes in his game are. He will get exploited.

And in this league if you don't have an above average QB you aren't going to win anything.

They are who we thought they were!! :wink:

hawaiiansteel
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Carson Palmer took big pay cut this year to join Raiders

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 20, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/c-palmer1.jpg?w=250

Carson Palmer wasn’t going to fit into the Raiders salary cap structure this year under his old salary.

We knew that his contract would have to be re-worked in some manner, and ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Palmer took a “flat $5 million pay cut” for 2011 to make it happen.

Schefter says Palmer will get $1 million added to his salary in 2012. $5 million of his $12.5 million salary next year is now guaranteed. We wonder if Palmer has a chance to make “back” more money in future years. If not, it shows how desperate he was to get out of Cincinnati now.

After all, taking a $5 million pay cut is still a lot better than making nothing the rest of the year.

UPDATE: Schefter reports Palmer will make $2.5 million the rest of the season. That’s a nice bargain financially in the short term for the Raiders. He was set to make $7.4 million on is prorated contract the rest of the season.

Palmer is due $40.5 million from 2012-2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-raiders/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/carson-palmer-took-a-pay-cut-this-year-to-join-raiders/)