PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' McLendon hopes he's moved into regular role

hawaiiansteel
10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Steelers' McLendon hopes he's moved into regular role

Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011
By Chuck Curti ccurti@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/77/077dbc76-b3a2-5351-be46-3ffcba57597e/4e9b7132e86f5.preview-300.jpg

Jaguars running back Deji Karim is tackled by Steelers Troy Polamalu and Steve McLendon (90) during the third quarter Sunday.

PITTSBURGH -- During his two-year odyssey with the Steelers, nose tackle Steve McLendon has done his share of moving around -- as in moving from the practice squad, to the active roster, to the unemployment line and back around again.

But with injuries taking their toll on the Steelers' defensive line, McLendon has been seeing more playing time. At the start of Sunday's game with Jacksonville, McLendon was serving as starter Chris Hoke's backup; Hoke was already in for the injured Casey Hampton.

By late in the first half, McLendon was getting all the minutes at nose tackle. Hoke went down with a stinger -- not believed to be serious -- and sat out the rest of the game. It was a rare chance for McLendon to get significant minutes, and though he recorded just a single assist, McLendon did what a nose tackle is supposed to do: clog the middle.

At times, McLendon occupied two and three Jacksonville linemen.

"He did a good job," said Hoke. "He's young, but he's doing a good job. I was impressed and really proud of him. He played good football."

McLendon, meanwhile, wasn't nearly as satisfied as his mentor seemed to be.

"I just have to get better," he said. "It was a start for me because it was the most minutes I've had, but I've got to get better. I'm sure I didn't do everything right, but I feel like I did play fast and did play hard. I just have to get the 'smart' part of the game down and once I get it down, I'll be better."

McLendon's frustration with some of his admitted miscues must have been apparent to Hoke. Early in the fourth quarter, Hoke went over to McLendon on the bench to offer some words of encouragement.

As a career backup, Hoke knows the feeling of battling for more minutes and agonizing over every little flaw.

"That's normal. I felt the same way last week." said Hoke. "You know there's always little things."

For McLendon, just being a part of the Steelers is a big thing. He grew up in Ozark, Ala., a town of about 15,000, and attended little Troy University, a college with an enrollment of about 8,000. Troy has produced NFL stars Demarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora.

McLendon has not yet reached their level of achievement, but he believes he's slowly moving in the right direction. He said he has been helped tremendously by playing with the likes of Hoke, Hampton and Brett Keisel.

"He's a great guy," McLendon said about Hoke. "He's always had my best interests and he's always there when I need him.

"It's great feedback. Sometimes you don't get that from your coach, but these guys will come over and pat you on the butt and tell you to keep playing hard. I'm glad that we have guys like that on this team."

McLendon can't contain his smile when talking about the opportunity to play for the Steelers. They were his favorite team growing up -- naturally because of the defense.

When he started naming players he enjoyed watching, many of them are the same ones he lines up next to every Sunday.

He confessed, however, that his favorite defensive player of all is Hall-of-Famer Reggie White.

McLendon might never be a member of the Canton fraternity like White, but it appears that he has at least come far enough to be a valuable -- and perhaps permanent -- member of the Steelers defense.

"It's one of the most amazing feelings to come here and play with some great, great guys," he said. "It's like a family. You and your brother may get into a fight, but at the end of the day, if anybody else wants to fight, you know your brother has your back."

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 88122.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-mclendon-hopes-he-s-moved-into-regular-role/article_7943abd5-6e85-5ea0-b0f8-1c9b29088122.html)

Eddie Spaghetti
10-17-2011, 05:10 PM
solid depth guy, in the hokey mold.

still gotta find snacks replacement, IMO.

The Man of Steel
10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
McLendon needs to hit the buffets a little more often because at 280lbs he doesn't have much of a future as a 3-4 NT.

BigRob
10-17-2011, 07:41 PM
McLendon needs to hit the buffets a little more often because at 280lbs he doesn't have much of a future as a 3-4 NT.

Damn, I can't tell you how many people say this same thing about his weight. That was his college weight. He is 300 and over now. Does this look like 280 lbs?

http://s4.postimage.org/41x7ctdod/Mclendon.jpg

I happen to think he might develop into a pretty good starting 3-4 NT one day. At the very least he will be as good as Hoke and is younger.

fezziwig
10-17-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm happy with what I have seen from him and I'm glad to see he seems to appreciate his chances and the surrounding bunch of guys he has with Hoke, Kiesel and Hampton. Some young guys don't seem to want to hear stuff from other players but McClendon seems to be well adjusted.
I'll never forget when the Steelers picked him up and my mailman told me to watch for this kid and that he will be a force on the team some day.
I don't care what his weight is if he can get the job done.

SuperSize
10-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Damn, I can't tell you how many people say this same thing about his weight. That was his college weight. He is 300 and over now. Does this look like 280 lbs?

http://s4.postimage.org/41x7ctdod/Mclendon.jpg

I happen to think he might develop into a pretty good starting 3-4 NT one day. At the very least he will be as good as Hoke and is younger.

Great point, BigRob. I don't think the media guide info is updated very often.

McLendon hasn't seen 280 lbs FOR A WHILE.

Pete

Mister Pittsburgh
10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Maybe we go 4-3 sooner rather than later.

Oviedo
10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Maybe we go 4-3 sooner rather than later.

With more teams playing the 3-4 the types of players you need for NT and OLB are much more in demand and will therefore be much more difficult to find, especially the really good ones when you draft as low as we normally do.

grotonsteel
10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
I think he is in Jay Ratliff mode. Still a long way to go though to become another Jay Ratliff. With teams nowadays becoming pass-happy offense i would not mind a NT who can disrupt a pocket or rush the QB.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-18-2011, 01:24 PM
With this becoming a passing league, I think you need to generate a pass rush with your 4 down linemen and go after smaller, faster LB's. Almost safety sized LB's like Troy's in there.

hawaiiansteel
10-21-2011, 03:51 PM
guess we'll find out on Sunday just how high of a priority drafting a NT early next year will be...

Steelers trying out a new man in the middle

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 21, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-10-20/1021SteelMcLendOInsideCAP-a.jpg

Only a technicality will prevent Steve McLendon from making his first career start Sunday. That is how the second-year defensive tackle is approaching the Steelers' upcoming game at Arizona.

McLendon said he expects to be the No. 1 nose tackle against the Cardinals, and he will start unless the Steelers open in a nickel defense instead of their base 3-4.

"There's going to be excitement. There's going to be nerves. That's part of it," McLendon said Thursday. "After that first snap, that first play, all of that will go out the window."

Although the offensive linemen have drawn much of the attention among injured Steelers, the defensive line hasn't exactly been immune to getting hurt.

Usual starting nose tackle Casey Hampton has not practiced this week because of a shoulder injury. The 11th-year veteran is not expected to play Sunday.

Chris Hoke, Hampton's backup, also has not practiced this week after leaving last week's game with a stinger. Hoke is trying to regain enough strength in his shoulders to receive medical clearance to play.

"I'm doing everything I can to be ready," Hoke said.

Not that McLendon simply will be considered the last man standing if Hampton and Hoke are unable to suit up against the Cardinals.

"That's one person I'm not worried about," Hampton said. "He's big, strong, physical; it's just a matter of him getting some experience because all the tools of being a really, really good nose tackle are there for him. (If the Cardinals) test him, that'll be a mistake because he'll definitely be ready to go."

That is high praise for a player the Steelers signed as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and released from their practice squad his first season with the team.

The 6-foot-4, 280-pound McLendon has relied on resiliency as much as brute strength to get here. The former Troy standout played his way onto the 53-man roster early last season and appeared in seven games.

McLendon and Hoke made the team this season, even though conventional thinking had them battling for one roster spot.

The Steelers have needed all three nose tackles. McLendon played extensively in a 17-13 win against Jacksonville because of Hoke's injury.

He stood his ground in the middle and, in the process, showed that he is not merely a stop-gap at a position the Steelers need a long-term replacement for Hampton, 34, and Hoke, 35.

"There's only one Casey, but I think that Steve has got great strength," Steelers defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau said of McLendon, 24. "He has improved almost daily since the day that he came here. You can never have too many quality players; you can never have too much depth, and Steve is one of the reasons that we have good depth. The more that he actually plays, the better he'll get."

McLendon, who has been credited with a half-sack this season, doesn't appear to be lacking confidence.

"You've got to play fast. You've got to play hard. You've got to play smart, make sure you've got to try to dominate (who is) in front of you," McLendon said. "My teammates are depending on me to step up and play big."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1bRLivx1H (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_763014.html#ixzz1bRLivx1H)

lbs95915592
10-21-2011, 09:57 PM
I think he is in Jay Ratliff mode. Still a long way to go though to become another Jay Ratliff. With teams nowadays becoming pass-happy offense i would not mind a NT who can disrupt a pocket or rush the QB.

agreed

hawaiiansteel
10-22-2011, 03:14 AM
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2011

posted by Dale Lolley

Nose tackle Chris Hoke is doubtful to play after not practicing all week long. Hoke suffered a stinger in last Sunday's win over Jacksonville.

With Casey Hampton also out, that would leave Steve McLendon as the only nose tackle on the roster.

I expect Hoke to try to give it a go on Sunday, but the Steelers could also make a move to activate Corbin Bryant off the practice squad Saturday.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/