PDA

View Full Version : Dulac: Tomlin gets a C

PSU_dropout43
10-17-2011, 01:52 PM
COACHING C

Why try to block a punt with a 14-point lead in the third quarter? Especially with the punter inside his own 10, kicking into the wind?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11290/11 ... z1b3wyIcFg (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11290/1182740-66-2.stm#ixzz1b3wyIcFg)

ikestops85
10-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't think the punt block was on. If you notice Mundy sort of hesitates and then realizes he has a clear lane to the punter so he goes for it. That little hesitation was the difference between blocking the punt and the roughing the punter penalty.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-17-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't think the punt block was on. If you notice Mundy sort of hesitates and then realizes he has a clear lane to the punter so he goes for it. That little hesitation was the difference between blocking the punt and the roughing the punter penalty.

According to Tomlin himself, the punt block WAS on.
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... a0a0de150f (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Coach-Tomlin-on-win-over-Jaguars/dbde4137-6da7-47b2-85c7-1ba0a0de150f)

hawaiiansteel
10-17-2011, 02:37 PM
this was the other Tomlin decision I disagreed with:

SUNDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Will the real Pittsburgh Steelers please reveal themselves? Were they the ones who ran out to that 17-0 lead or the ones who barely hung on for a 17-13 victory?

That wasn't Baltimore they were playing and it wasn't on the road. Those were the Jacksonville Jaguars out there in Heinz Field, ripe for the taking, especially after falling behind 17-0. Actually, they were ripe for the taking when the Steelers reached a first down at the two with a 14-0 lead.

This was their third series and they moved in for an early kill today. Rashard Mendenhall had just scampered 68 yards for a first down and then a facemask penalty put it halfway to the goalline, at the two.

It was time for Isaac Redman to come in and do his short-yardage thing, but as we know, the Steelers only use their best short-yardage back when its short-yardage that does not include the possibility of scoring a touchdown. Mendenhall got them down there and dad-gum it, he would get the "glory" of scoring the touchdown.

Usually, when a back runs 68 yards and there is no timeout or TV break or something, they put another back into the game so the one with the long run can catch his breath. Not the Steelers, not on this day.

"We made eye contact," Tomlin said as to why Mendenhall stayed in the game. "He nodded that he was good.''

Okay then. Mendy stays in, Mendy gets the carry and is thrown for a 1-yard loss, back to the three. Then came two incomplete passes and a short field goal to make it 17-0.

You put Redman in there and run the ball three times up the gut and then if you don't score, okay, kick it. I'd take my chances on that. But, nope, got to give those touchdowns to the right guy.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... -next-game

birtikidis
10-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I made eye contact with a hot sorority girl in georgie. She gave me a little wink and a nod. We went to the bathroom. See coach, I made the same mistake.

Steelerphile
10-17-2011, 04:11 PM
I think a blocked punt is one of the most exciting plays in a football game. You don't see them too much in pro football. I guess the protection is usually too good and the punters are efficient as well. If it works, I'm all for it. But it is a lower percentage play. The offense was having a tough time so if they could have pulled it off, it's a quick six and the game is on ice.

Since they gambled and lost, it cost the team. I actually like some calculated aggression from Tomlin. Like the fake punt. It's not always going to work, though.

But leaving Mendy in for the goalline run. I have to disagree with it. He had to be tired, as well as Jcksonville's D. It was a perfect ime to put the fresh and powerful Redman in. I think he might have sliced right through.

grotonsteel
10-17-2011, 04:31 PM
I think a blocked punt is one of the most exciting plays in a football game. You don't see them too much in pro football. I guess the protection is usually too good and the punters are efficient as well. If it works, I'm all for it. But it is a lower percentage play. The offense was having a tough time so if they could have pulled it off, it's a quick six and the game is on ice.

I disagree with that statement.

It was early in 3Q. Steelers were leading 17-3 at that time. Offense i guess had the first punt of the game.Defense was playing good. Offense had gobbled around 350 yards by that time.

After that stupid penalty by Special Teams, Offense did not see the field again in 3Q. Jags went on 17 plays 10:00 min drive for a TD.

ikestops85
10-17-2011, 04:59 PM

According to Tomlin himself, the punt block WAS on.
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... a0a0de150f (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Coach-Tomlin-on-win-over-Jaguars/dbde4137-6da7-47b2-85c7-1ba0a0de150f)

Since that's the case then Mundy really screwed up. It definitely looked like he hesitated before deciding to go all out for the block.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-17-2011, 05:11 PM
C seems fair.

del rio deserved an F. that FG late was a bone head call that really pushed the steelers to victory. not to mention calling the TO beforehand.

thanks jack.

ikestops85
10-17-2011, 05:16 PM
C seems fair.

del rio deserved an F. that FG late was a bone head call that really pushed the steelers to victory. not to mention calling the TO beforehand.

thanks jack.

You are right about Del Rio. I breathed a sigh of relief when they decided to kick the FG. We owe him a beer the next time he is in town. :Beer

Steelerphile
10-17-2011, 06:35 PM

It was early in 3Q. Steelers were leading 17-3 at that time. Offense i guess had the first punt of the game.Defense was playing good. Offense had gobbled around 350 yards by that time.

After that stupid penalty by Special Teams, Offense did not see the field again in 3Q. Jags went on 17 plays 10:00 min drive for a TD.

The Steelers offense did most of their damage in the first 20 and a half minutes of the game. And they scored all 17 points in that period. So from about 9:40 of the first quarter to about 8:42 of the 3rd quarter, about when they attempted the block, the offense had sputtered and they had not scored a point. So, they were looking for a spark. I can't fault that. The play was actually drawn up well. Mundy came free up the middle. He just did not execute. If he had been a mite quicker and laid out for it, the bliock was available.

Steelerphile
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I meant to say about 9:40 of the second quarter.

grotonsteel
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM

The Steelers offense did most of their damage in the first 20 and a half minutes of the game. And they scored all 17 points in that period. So from about 9:40 of the first quarter to about 8:42 of the 3rd quarter, about when they attempted the block, the offense had sputtered and they had not scored a point. So, they were looking for a spark. I can't fault that. The play was actually drawn up well. Mundy came free up the middle. He just did not execute. If he had been a mite quicker and laid out for it, the bliock was available.

Our kicker missed a FG in 2nd . Now i don't think that's on offense. They did not punt in entire first half i guess. I don't expect Steelers offense to be scoring on each drive especially when your opponent has a Top-10 Defense in NFL.

I believe in your thinking if Steelers were trailing in that game but if you are leading 17-3 and Jags offense with rookie QB is not doing anything why give them a life.

I guess we agree to disagree on this.