PDA

View Full Version : It’s time for Ben to step up his game

hawaiiansteel
10-17-2011, 02:02 AM
What's up with Roethlisberger?

MONDAY, 17 OCTOBER 2011 WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

With their defeat of Jacksonville, the Steelers are 4-2 and winners of four of their past five. That’s good.

Here’s what is not so good about that record. The four wins are against teams that are a combined 7-16. Two of those wins were by narrow margins over teams that are a combined 1-11.

The 2005 season, when the Steelers were 7-5 but on their way to winning the Super Bowl, should have taught us never to judge a team too early in the year. But, of course, we do and the judgment of the Steelers for 2011 is not heartening.

The Jacksonville game only added to the doubt. It might be some time, perhaps never, before we discover what exactly happened to the Steelers' offense in the second half and, more precisely, what happened to Ben Roethlisberger.

How does an offense, playing against what is, at best, an average defense, accumulate 315 yards in the first half and only 55 in the second? And how does a quarterback who passed for 181 in the first half, throw for 19 in the second?

Which leads to the question upon which this season rests: What’s up with Roethlisberger?

Oh, he’s good. He can still make something out of less than nothing as well or better than any quarterback in the league. But although he has one of the league’s most dangerous and prolific deep threats in his receiving corps, his numbers are not what might be expected.

With all but two of the Week 6 games completed, Roethlisberger’s rankings among league quarterbacks were ordinary. In passer rating, he was 12th; yards per game, 11th; percentage of completion, 14th; touchdowns, tied for 7th; interceptions, tied for sixth.

None of those numbers has the ring of elite that often, and deservedly, is attached to Roethlisberger.

Passer rating is often ridiculed because, as its name implies, it takes into account only what a quarterback does with his arm. To counter that, ESPN came out with a new statistic this year called QBR, which includes passing, rushing, sacks, fumbles and penalties. Roethlisberger does less well in this rating.

Through the first five weeks of the season, excluding all of yesterday’s games, his rating was 56.2, which put him in 13th place. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady were 1-2 with ratings of 84.8 and 84.2. Among the quarterbacks listed ahead of Roethlisberger were Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Michael Vick Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck, Ryan Fitzpatrick Tony Romo and Matthew Stafford.

This is not to suggest for a second that all of those quarterbacks are better than Roethlisberger. They are not. But this information does point put that Roethlisberger has been less than special this year.

His two worst games were in the team’s losses. He probably couldn’t have made a difference in the Baltimore game, but he could have in the seven-point loss to Houston.

The Steelers play at Arizona (1-4) Sunday, then come to the meat-grinder part of what is an easy schedule -- consecutive games against New England and Baltimore.

It’s time for Roethlisberger to step up his game.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... php/sports (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports)

Steelhere10
10-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Some will make you delete this post in 3-2-1.

SteelCrazy
10-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Yesterday was the only game he looked bad playing. The others were not so much his fault as he was too busy picking his self up off the ground. It's a little early to be asking him to pick up his game. If he looks like this again next week (as he did vs Jacksonville)vs Arizona, then it may be time to be concerned.

BURGH86STEEL
10-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Yesterday was the only game he looked bad playing. The others were not so much his fault as he was too busy picking his self up off the ground. It's a little early to be asking him to pick up his game. If he looks like this again next week (as he did vs Jacksonville)vs Arizona, then it may be time to be concerned.

Did you miss the other games?

A big part of the inconsistency this offense displayed over the years is because of Ben's inconsistent play. QB play can have a trickle down effect on the entire offense.

Steelhere10
10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Ben have looked bad, the last 7 of 8 meaningful games.

SteelCrazy
10-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Did you miss the other games?

A big part of the inconsistency this offense displayed over the years is because of Ben's inconsistent play. QB play can have a trickle down effect on the entire offense.

I saw the other games, but like I stated earlier, it wasnt his fault the line sucked in the scheme they were running. Not until Kugs changed the scheme did he have a chance to suck. He was running for his life. Yesterday was his fault, no argument, but the guy is only playing on a broken foot....

ikestops85
10-17-2011, 10:38 AM

I was actually glad to see this thread when I came on the board this morning because I was thinking of starting one like it. There is something different with Ben's play this year. Yes, he has been under extreme duress because of offensive line problems. Yes, the running game hasn't done very well until lately. But for some reason Ben hasn't been making the key plays that he normally does.

Ben has never been the most consistent QB in the league but he has always been the guy I want under center when the game is on the line. That really hasn't been the case this year and it's hard for me to put a finger on why. I know he drove us down the field to win the Indy game but other than that he hasn't looked like the Ben we've come to know and love.

One of the things that sticks out to me is he has missed on passes to lots of wide open receivers. Many of them after he has pulled his Houdini act in the pocket to escape the rush. These types of plays have always been Ben's bread and butter but this year he seems to not be putting the finishing touch on those plays.

The other problem is he is having long stretches where he is just inaccurate with his passes. Sunday's game was a good example of that. He started out on fire but then all of a sudden he misses a wide open Brown in the endzone, a wide open Miller down the middle, a wide open Sanders deep and a wide open Wallace deep.

There are other games like this also going back to last years SB. In the season opener against the Ratbirds he started out in rhythm and accurate but then he started throwing some of the worst passes I have ever seen him throw.

It would really be a shame if we don't make the playoffs this year since our schedule is so weak we should be able to walk in. But Ben is going to have to step up his game if to make the playoffs a possibility.

SteelCrazy
10-17-2011, 10:58 AM

I was actually glad to see this thread when I came on the board this morning because I was thinking of starting one like it. There is something different with Ben's play this year. Yes, he has been under extreme duress because of offensive line problems. Yes, the running game hasn't done very well until lately. But for some reason Ben hasn't been making the key plays that he normally does.

Ben has never been the most consistent QB in the league but he has always been the guy I want under center when the game is on the line. That really hasn't been the case this year and it's hard for me to put a finger on why. I know he drove us down the field to win the Indy game but other than that he hasn't looked like the Ben we've come to know and love.

One of the things that sticks out to me is he has missed on passes to lots of wide open receivers. Many of them after he has pulled his Houdini act in the pocket to escape the rush. These types of plays have always been Ben's bread and butter but this year he seems to not be putting the finishing touch on those plays.

The other problem is he is having long stretches where he is just inaccurate with his passes. Sunday's game was a good example of that. He started out on fire but then all of a sudden he misses a wide open Brown in the endzone, a wide open Miller down the middle, a wide open Sanders deep and a wide open Wallace deep.

There are other games like this also going back to last years SB. In the season opener against the Ratbirds he started out in rhythm and accurate but then he started throwing some of the worst passes I have ever seen him throw.

It would really be a shame if we don't make the playoffs this year since our schedule is so weak we should be able to walk in. But Ben is going to have to step up his game if to make the playoffs a possibility.

I'd have to say that is pretty accurate. It may all come down to his foot injury. After he escapes the pass rush and is running around and misses a wide open receiver, it could come down to his foot hurting and he isnt able to set his foot or at least put enough pressure on it that it would require for an accurate pass. Anybody's guess is as good as mine, but I really believe that his foot is the main reason for his inconsisent play.

sentinel33
10-17-2011, 11:14 AM
I agree with the title of this thread.

While he made some really nice throws in some tight holes, he blew some opportunitys as well. If first half Ben would have showed up in the second half, I don't think most of us would be fretting right now. That would have been two nice games in a row and it wouldve appeared like he was turning a corner. Rounding into mid season form, so to speak.

But that didnt happen, for whatever reason. The musical chairs on the Offensive line can't be helping his confidence, but regardless, he's gotta start putting together a full games worth of quality football on a consistent basis. One game off every now and then is ok, but he's not been the usual Ben. I think it was BH that stated it quite well in another thread.

It's frustrating cause thee guy has delivered big on many occasions in the past. Just don't want to sound ungrateful cause he is still one of the best in the league. Just not playing like it right now.

Sonny
10-17-2011, 11:19 AM
He played an excellent first half. The Steelers always let up if they are blowing a bad team out

In his last couple games, he has played great in all but one half, and in that one half they were in turtle mode after looking like the best team in the league during the first half. Talk to me if he struggles these next two weeks against 2 sorry defenses.

Ghost
10-17-2011, 12:22 PM
He played an excellent first half. The Steelers always let up if they are blowing a bad team out

In his last couple games, he has played great in all but one half, and in that one half they were in turtle mode after looking like the best team in the league during the first half. Talk to me if he struggles these next two weeks against 2 sorry defenses.

Maybe statistics wise it was a blow out, but 17-3 is far, far from a blowout in the NFL and we saw it yesterday. 14 points is nothing. And I don't think it was letting up as much as flat out bad play by the O in the second half. Ben was not good.

Losing to 1-4 AZ would be a disgrace.

steelblood
10-17-2011, 12:38 PM
The line here is below average. But, it is improving. The group of receivers Ben has are among the best in the league. He has a great situation. It is up to he and BA (let's not forget that Ben has as much influence on the game plan as any QB not named Brady or Manning) to take advantage of our strengths and hide our weaknesses. Will they come up with a plan to keep us in the New England and Baltimore games and give us a chance to win?

feltdizz
10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Not buying the foot any other excuses... sometimes Ben gets in a funk and it's usually right after he has a 5TD, lights out kind of game...

I damn near predicted it in another thread but I didn't think it would happen this fast. I knew there would be another stretch of bad offense coming soon because we have them EVERY year.

I'm glad Ben is our QB but I'm not going to lie for him... the inconsistency has always been a problem but it's a problem I can live with. What's hard to live with is the constant excuses for his inconsistency.

Ben could have 5TD's next week and then turn around and miss wide open WR's 2 weeks later.

steelblood
10-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Not buying the foot any other excuses... sometimes Ben gets in a funk and it's usually right after he has a 5TD, lights out kind of game...

I damn near predicted it in another thread but I didn't think it would happen this fast. I knew there would be another stretch of bad offense coming soon because we have them EVERY year.

I'm glad Ben is our QB but I'm not going to lie for him... the inconsistency has always been a problem but it's a problem I can live with. What's hard to live with is the constant excuses for his inconsistency.

Ben could have 5TD's next week and then turn around and miss wide open WR's 2 weeks later.

This is not a thread full of excuses. I think you imagining things a bit. People mentioned the foot as a possible issue, but few were saying that Ben has played well (even when you consider the injury). I'm a pretty realistic guy when it comes to Ben. I never thought he was that mature of guy, never thought he threw a great deep ball, still think he could get the ball out on time more often. But, I also recognize when an injury could have a significant effect on a passer. I don't know if you've ever tried to throw a football with a bum plant foot, but it is a factor. If you want to overlook such a possibility, you aren't being realistic.

SteelCrazy
10-17-2011, 01:24 PM

The foot injury isnt so much an excuse as it is a reality. It's his plant foot and that needs to be in good working condition to throw accurate passes. Circumstances can vary from week to week. Maybe he didnt get a shot for the pain this week or he wasnt able to rest it as well as the week before. Maybe, just maybe he injured it more last week like when he was hobbling to the sidelines. Or, it could be he was having an off day. He does that to, from time to time. All I know is he is a damn good QB and 25 (maybe more) other teams would cut their starter if they could have Ben.

feltdizz
10-17-2011, 01:54 PM
or maybe, just maybe... Ben had an off day.

If Ben isn't having a great season, plenty will agree, then why is it such a shock that he was off against a team he always struggles to beat?

ikestops85
10-17-2011, 01:56 PM

The foot injury isnt so much an excuse as it is a reality. It's his plant foot and that needs to be in good working condition to throw accurate passes. Circumstances can vary from week to week. Maybe he didnt get a shot for the pain this week or he wasnt able to rest it as well as the week before. Maybe, just maybe he injured it more last week like when he was hobbling to the sidelines. Or, it could be he was having an off day. He does that to, from time to time. All I know is he is a damn good QB and 25 (maybe more) other teams would cut their starter if they could have Ben.

If it was his plant foot, like last year, I wouldn't be so concerned. But I believe it is his left foot that is injured. All injuries can effect your game but I don't think Ben has played normally the entire season. This isn't to say he has played bad the entire time. Just different. He has had stretches where he has looked fantastic but for the most part his play has been, well, the word 'mundane' comes to mind.

We all know Ben isn't a mundane player. He is one of the most exciting players in the league but for some reason it isn't working out like that this year. At least so far.

hawaiiansteel
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Monday, October 17, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1343386/38335519E.jpg

> Ben Roethlisberger, who completed 12 of 23 passes for 200 yards, admittedly did not have his most accurate game. He said the swirling winds may have been an issue. "I have to make the necessary adjustments to purely focus on driving the ball and spinning it through the wind," he said. "When it is blowing, you have to put a lot of spin on the ball, and I wasn't doing that. It is something that I can easily change."

>> Jaguars cornerback Rashean Mathis entered the game with six career interceptions against the Steelers, three of which he returned for touchdowns. He could have gotten another, had it not been for Mike Wallace. "He grabbed my arm," Mathis said. "I didn't have my right arm."

>> Roethlisberger said a "miscommunication" prevented him and Antonio Brown from hooking up for a touchdown that would have given the Steelers a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter. Brown appeared to be open on third down from the Jaguars' 3, but Roethlisberger overshot the second-year wide receiver in the end zone. Remember the rapport Roethlisberger and Brown showed during training camp and the preseason? Its absence is one thing that is holding back the offense.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1b46gHjDW (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_762228.html#ixzz1b46gHjDW)

grotonsteel
10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Great Sig ...HS...

Brett keisel : Fear the Diesel or beard

feltdizz
10-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Why is the Deisel celebrating? Just run back to the huddle and act like you've done this before. :stirpot

I'm sorry, that wasn't directed at anyone in particular I just hear fans complain about players all the time and think it's funny.

Anyways... this spinning the football through the wind, if it's easy to correct why the hell wasn't it fixed during the game? Mathis has 3 pick 6's and people wonder why we didn't go 3 step in the second half.... Hmm...

hawaiiansteel
10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Mathis has 3 pick 6's and people wonder why we didn't go 3 step in the second half.... Hmm...

you do realize that it's possible to throw shorter passes without aiming them in Mathis' direction, don't you?

birtikidis
10-17-2011, 08:04 PM
I think Ben played poorly, but to say it's just him is crazy. The whole team, and the coaches, need to be more prepared for each game. and the players all need to execute better.

Dee Dub
10-17-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm happy with the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And I wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league.

birtikidis
10-17-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm happy with the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And I wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league.
I don't think anyone wants to get rid of him dub. I think it's more along these lines: the rules change SHOULD create a huge advantage for a team with a franchise qb and 5 Good to great receiving options. Why is this NOT the case for the Steelers? I'm a proponent of it's a team execution failure and not one persons. But when your receivers are predicting 2000 yard seasons and everyone and their mother says this should be the most explosive team we've seen... people start pointing fingers when it doesn't happen.

feltdizz
10-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Mathis has 3 pick 6's and people wonder why we didn't go 3 step in the second half.... Hmm...

you do realize that it's possible to throw shorter passes without aiming them in Mathis' direction, don't you?

6 INT's, 3 for TD's... And you have the nerve to ask if "I" know its possible? I think you should ask Ben this question. LOL.

Didn't Wallace save another pick 6? Maybe its possible but for some reason Ben can't do it vs Mathis.

feltdizz
10-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Who said anything about trading him? That's crazy talk.

I'm happy Ben is our QB but I'm not happy with his play this season.

its kind of weird to read your rants defending Ben... You usually have positives and negatives about draft picks, current players, etc.

Blind homerism is a terrible thing.