PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Concerns

SteelCrazy
10-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Ben played pretty bad today. He looked decent in the 1st Q and half of the 2nd Q, but after that he played poorly. He was not able to throw to a spot or hit anyone in stride. His bombs were way off and the occasional short to medium passes were either behind or over the wide-outs. BA called a horrible game but it probably wouldnt have mattered today. If your QB is off that badly you may as well just run the ball all day.

The defense played good until the 2nd half and then they let the Jags claw their way back in it. The Ryan Mundy roughing the punter penalty jump started the Jags. Then Troy leaves the game with a possible concussion. That really hurt because he was a one man wrecking crew today. Gabbert kind of reminds me of a young Ben. He did what he could to make me sweat this one out. Ziggy is looking like a star more and more and Heyward needs to get on the field more and more.

BA called a beautiful game last week and decided it was time to revert back to his old ways. How many bombs does he have to throw in a game? The running game was working well today and although he called running plays a lot he seemed to do it the wrong situations. He actually ran it more than he threw it, but like I said before, just in the wrong instances. This is the worst I have felt with a win in a long time.

Tomlin needs to get in the faces of the players and sling a little spit. Sometimes he irks me with his casual emotion. Hopefully next week is a lot better.

Steelhere10
10-16-2011, 09:07 PM
I agree BA called a bad game BUT the players was wide open. It's up to our QB to hit those open wr but he didn't.

winwithd
10-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think Redman played at all in the second half. Or did I just miss it. Didn't he run pretty well in the first quarter? That sort of irks me.

I too would have liked to have seen more short passes in the second half. The guys were definitely open on the long ones and Ben just missed them. I would have liked to seen some quick slants to Hines and bubble screens to Wallace or Brown (just a few though), something to mix it up.

At least we were able to hold a team off in the 4th without Troy. A couple years ago we couldn't seem to do that.

What a difference Keisel makes! Woodley has really flourished since Keisel's been back. And Keisel had a nice game too.

Didn't notice K Lewis at all? Did he play or was his guy just always covered?

I did notice Ike. He was beat a couple times and good throws would have burned him. Possibly his worst game (??), and against the Jags receivers (??). Maybe he just wasn't very motivated.

I noticed Farrior a lot and that was in a good way. Timmons did not impress me today.

Hines' drop in the endzone looked like a really tough catch to me, but I thought Ben missing AB right after that was totally inexcusable. There was no one between AB and the back corner of the endzone. That is about 25 yards of open turf to lob the ball into and Ben throws a dart. Other than underthrowing Wallace once I thought Ben was putting to much on his throws today, a lot of leading receivers too far.

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Post-Jaguars thoughts

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

That was about as ugly a win as you'll see.

The Steelers jumped on the Jaguars early and then went into turtle mode, throwing the ball five times in the second half.

OK, they actually dropped back to pass eight times in the second half, but three resulted in sacks.

And yes, that was Max Starks giving up one to some dude named John Chick – couldn't make that one up – and allowing Chick to get by him to push Ben Roethlisberger into another one.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

DukieBoy
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Want to feel better about playing bad but winning? ... Watch the MN Vikings tonight playing at a level of terrible and losing worse.

papillon
10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think Redman played at all in the second half. Or did I just miss it. Didn't he run pretty well in the first quarter? That sort of irks me.

I too would have liked to have seen more short passes in the second half. The guys were definitely open on the long ones and Ben just missed them. I would have liked to seen some quick slants to Hines and bubble screens to Wallace or Brown (just a few though), something to mix it up.

At least we were able to hold a team off in the 4th without Troy. A couple years ago we couldn't seem to do that.

What a difference Keisel makes! Woodley has really flourished since Keisel's been back. And Keisel had a nice game too.

I did notice Ike. He was beat a couple times and good throws would have burned him. Possibly his worst game (??), and against the Jags receivers (??). Maybe he just wasn't very motivated.

I noticed Farrior a lot and that was in a good way. Timmons did not impress me today.

Hines' drop in the endzone looked like a really tough catch to me, but I thought Ben missing AB right after that was totally inexcusable. There was no one between AB and the back corner of the endzone. That is about 25 yards of open turf to lob the ball into and Ben throws a dart. Other than underthrowing Wallace once I thought Ben was putting to much on his throws today, a lot of leading receivers too far.

Actually, it looked like he wasn't putting enough air under the ball to allow the receiver to make a play (at least to me this is how it appeared.). The throws all seemed a bit too low in trajectory and the one he threw on the complete wrong side of Wallace was high, but off target.

Pappy

SteelCrazy
10-16-2011, 10:19 PM

Redman was MIA in the 2nd half, but Dwyer had 1 series in the 4th. Mendy rest of the time. Ben under threw receivers, over threw receivers and missed Brown I think, too far right on a bomb. Just stunk it up today. Very lucky we were playing a bad team.

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Shane Suisham concerns me...

what is he now, something like 8 out of 13 after missing badly again today? those stats have gotta rank Suisham near the bottom of all NFL kickers.

winwithd
10-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Looked to me like Suisham was expected the wind to bring it back since it was headed left the whole way. Only problem was the flags were dead. Kicking into the open end of the stadium must have psyched him out.

Shortly after that kick I think they showed some windy conditions on the sidelines. I wonder if the one to Wallace that was high and to the right got caught in a wind gust. Maybe that is why Ben was throwing low trajectory passes.

Lack of Redman in the second half still irks me.

Three sacks in eight attempts in the second half. I wonder why it was so much worse than the first half.

Sonny
10-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Not worried.

When is the last time we blew out Jacksonville?

From 95 to now, we are 10-11 against them. In a period of time where we have won more games than any other franchise, we have a losing record against an expansion team. That says something. This is even worse than with the Patriots because at least they have been great. The Jags sucked in 08 and it took a last second drive to win.

People say "Man, if we played an elite team today, we lose". How about maybe if we played an elite team, we also play better. We play up or down to our competition a lot.

Tom Brady is 1-6 against Denver. How good(bad) have they been since he has been in the league? Even the old Shannon Sharpe "We are killing the Patriots". Every team has at least one team that just has their number. We are lucky the Jags are bad, or we do lose this game, because when they are good, we simply don't beat them often.

Starlifter
10-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I didn't think BA called a bad game today. The long throws didn't bother me and on every one, Ben had an open receiver. I've always thought the bomb was the weakest part of Ben's game and it WAS pretty gusty down on the field. perhaps that was a factor. About the only decision I objected to was to try to block that punt. I thought we were going to get the ball in good field position regardless and the risk wasn't worth the reward. as far as not blowing out the jags - they can play defense and they have a great RB. That's a formula for wins in the NFL - we've been proving that for years. That the game tightened up wasn't too much of a surprise - I'm just glad we hung on. jags always seem to play us close.

these next 3 games will most likely determine the season. win 3 - guaranteed playoffs. win 2, drivers seat for sure. win 1 and we'll need help. lose all 3 and say goodbye to the division and most likely a wildcard spot.

based on how erratic they've been so far - i got no predictions in me right now.

hawaiiansteel
10-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Steelers hang on to beat Jaguars

SUNDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2011 WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

The Steelers leaped out early against the Jacksonville Jaguars -- 17 points before the game was 20 minutes old -- and then lapsed into what might best be described as a Pitt Pantheresque offense and hung on for dear life this afternoon against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

A win is a win is a win, but this one -- after early brilliance -- was disappointing for the Steelers.

Sure, the defense was relentless in this 17-13 victory at Heinz Field, but it was playing against a rookie quarterback.

The Steelers managed only 55 yards of total offense in the second half after racking 315 in the first half. After throwing for 181 yards in the first half and seemingly on his way to a second straight outstanding game, Ben Roethlisberger threw for only 19 yards in the second half. And that yardage came on the third play of the half on a pass to Hines Ward.

After missing last week's game with injury, Rashard Mendenhall came out and played like a man who was worried about his job in the first half. He ran for 113 yards on 12 carries, including one run of 68 yards and another of 8 for a touchdown. Like the rest of the offense, he was slowed in the second half, gaining 33 yards on 11 carries.

Isaac Redman, who started last week in place of Mendenhall, carried four times for 22 yards in the first half. He had no carries in the second half.

To compound the problems of the Steelers, who play at Arizona next week, Troy Polamalu sat out the latter stages of the game with what could be a concussion.

Concerning Polamalu, coach Mike Tomlin said in his post-game news conference, ``We erred on the side of caution there. We'll evaluate him to see where he is."

Additionally, according to NFL.com the Steelers lost right guard Doug Legursky, (dislocated toe), safety Ryan Clark (shoulder) and nose tackle Chris Hoke (stinger) during the game. The extent of those injuries is not known.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... at-jaguars (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/30441-steelers-hang-on-to-beat-jaguars)

SteelCrazy
10-17-2011, 07:29 AM
I didn't think BA called a bad game today. The long throws didn't bother me and on every one, Ben had an open receiver. I've always thought the bomb was the weakest part of Ben's game and it WAS pretty gusty down on the field. perhaps that was a factor. About the only decision I objected to was to try to block that punt. I thought we were going to get the ball in good field position regardless and the risk wasn't worth the reward. as far as not blowing out the jags - they can play defense and they have a great RB. That's a formula for wins in the NFL - we've been proving that for years. That the game tightened up wasn't too much of a surprise - I'm just glad we hung on. jags always seem to play us close.

these next 3 games will most likely determine the season. win 3 - guaranteed playoffs. win 2, drivers seat for sure. win 1 and we'll need help. lose all 3 and say goodbye to the division and most likely a wildcard spot.

based on how erratic they've been so far - i got no predictions in me right now.

You do have a point on the open receivers that Ben missed and if he connected it would have made BA look better, but he still seemed to be calling plays at will with no thought going into it.

Steelers>NFL
10-17-2011, 08:08 AM
If the air was gusty as some people mentioned, why are we throwing the long ball?
Oh, because of BA that's why. :HeadBanger

AngryAsian
10-17-2011, 08:13 AM
If the air was gusty as some people mentioned, why are we throwing the long ball?

Your logic is too much to ingest this early in the morning.... :Boobs

Ghost
10-17-2011, 08:34 AM

what is he now, something like 8 out of 13 after missing badly again today? those stats have gotta rank Suisham near the bottom of all NFL kickers.

He's 7 for 11, a shade under 64%. This guy is a complete liability. That miss today, with no wind at the time, was ridiculous. I watched numerous college kickers this weekend more talented than him. I cringe when he comes in for a FG. If they need a 50 yarder to win they are screwed.

Starlifter
10-17-2011, 08:48 AM

lol, that IS the BA technique. 'I'm gonna run the play I want to run, when I want to run it - situation be damned!!! I don't care if we can't block freeney and mathis - this 7 step drop slow developing double move should work!!!!'

SteelCrazy
10-17-2011, 08:55 AM

He's 7 for 11, a shade under 64%. This guy is a complete liability. That miss today, with no wind at the time, was ridiculous. I watched numerous college kickers this weekend more talented than him. I cringe when he comes in for a FG. If they need a 50 yarder to win they are screwed.

My sons 8th grade team kicker has made 2 30+ fg's this year and I would feel more comfortable with him kicking for the Steelers then I do when Slice'em comes into the game.

feltdizz
10-17-2011, 09:41 AM

You do have a point on the open receivers that Ben missed and if he connected it would have made BA look better, but he still seemed to be calling plays at will with no thought going into it.

I know what you are trying to say but it sounds funny. When any QB misses open guys it has nothing to do with the OC.

SteelCrazy
10-17-2011, 11:09 AM

I know what you are trying to say but it sounds funny. When any QB misses open guys it has nothing to do with the OC.

Yea, I know. It made Ben look bad, but on the other hand BA wouldn't have looked as big as an ass if Ben connected and BA needs all the help he can get. I know what you're saying though and it does sound funny, but not what I meant.

steelblood
10-17-2011, 11:26 AM
open receivers!!!!!

It is so awesome to have open receivers. How many times from 2006-2009 did we complain that there is was no one open. Now, with Brown, Sanders, and Wallace someone is almost always open. That is a beautiful thing.

Ben was off yesterday. That painful plant foot can't help. But, he has no excuse for missing Brown in the end zone. A top QB can't miss that pass. Brown didn't help things by jumping a little early. But, that is on Ben.

Slapstick
10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
If Ben had actually connected on some of those long passes, the Jags would have been much less likely to send people after Ben...

He needed to burn them a few more times in order to frost them...

He was off, so they came after him...

It didn't help that Max looked like his old self against a former CFL player...

hawaiiansteel
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers must play with more urgency in the upcoming weeks

AUTHOR: Brandt Gelman
Oct 18, 2011

If you had told me at the beginning of the season the Steelers would be 4-2 after six games that included road battles at Baltimore, Indy, and Houston to start the season, I think I would be happy with that. But it is the fashion in which the Steelers have jumped out to its 4-2 start that has many fans scratching their heads.

People want to pinpoint a singular issue that is causing the slow start to both the offensive and defensive units this season, and I don’t think you can possibly do that.

Sure, the offensive and defensive lines have looked weak throughout most of the season. You can say Big Ben is having a pretty sub-par season for his standards. You can say Mendenhall’s slow start to the year impacted the way the entire offense wanted to run its plays, or you can throw out the tired adage that the defense is just getting too old.

While I think there is a little bit of truth to all of those different problems, I think the Steelers overall issue is a lack of good ol’ fashion desire. It seems to me like the 2011 Steelers want to win by putting out the least amount of effort possible. After getting down big early in the Baltimore game, the Steelers clearly packed it in accepting defeat rather early. Even in the Steelers victories this season, mainly Indy and Jacksonville, it just seemed as though the team wanted to do “just enough” to get the win.

It is hard to complain too much about a 4-2 start, and with all of the veterans on this Steelers roster, one could make a case that this team knows better than any that the season is a marathon and it does not behoove a team to be laying it all on the line so early in the season. If that is the argument you want to go with, then I can follow that.

This team knows there are specific times when it has step it up and play its best ball, and I propose that one of those times may be this upcoming week.

This weekend the Steelers will head to Arizona to take on the Cardinals, which by many accounts is a who’s who of players who used to be part of the black and gold. If there is any team in the league that knows the schemes the Steelers will be using this upcoming Sunday, it is the Cardinals. While I do not think Arizona should be that great of a threat to the Steelers this Sunday, the black and gold need to make sure it plays a great game with the ominous schedule approaching.

A loss in Arizona this weekend could be devastating with the Patriots and Ravens coming to town in the following weeks. I know the Steelers do not need to prove anything to themselves; they are about as confident a group of football players you will ever find, but I think I still need to see something to believe. The Steelers need to break out of this funk where the bare minimum needed to get a victory is acceptable. That is no way to get through a season in the NFL, especially for a team with aspirations of getting back to the Super Bowl. If the Steelers want to show it is ready to make that step up to an elite team in the 2011 season, the time is now to pick up the play. A dominating performance over a sub-par Arizona team would be a nice step in the right direction to show the Steelers are ready to make some noise throughout the league, and I am talking about more than a whisper.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/10/18/th ... ing-weeks/ (http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/10/18/the-pittsburgh-steelers-must-play-with-more-urgency-in-the-upcoming-weeks/)