PDA

View Full Version : OT: Brandon Moore rips WR criticism

costanza2k1
10-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Pretty clear as to why we didn't keep this idiot.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Now it's official: The New York Jets' locker room is fractured.

Veteran guard Brandon Moore, taking offense to Santonio Holmes' latest criticism of the offensive line, fired back at the wide receiver Friday, telling ESPNNewYork.com that Holmes is creating a rift by throwing teammates under the bus.

"He's obviously got the green light to evaluate every position on the team," Moore said. "I just didn't think captaincy entailed that. I've never seen a captain do that. That's not leading. That's not being a leader. It actually fragments the locker room. It's not productive."

Moore, the longest-tenured player on the Jets' sputtering offense, is regarded as one of the quiet leaders on the team. That he decided to speak out against Holmes is an indication of the current state of team chemistry.

"Obviously, it's OK to do that," said Moore, alluding to Rex Ryan's freedom-of-speech policy. "This organization let's you say whatever you want. There's no muzzle. But as a professional, there are some things you do muzzle. I've muzzled my mouth numerous times. It's called being a pro. It's called taking care of your brothers in the locker room, the guys who fight for each other."

Week 6: Jets vs. Dolphins on ESPN

Gang Green tries to rebound on Monday Night Football. Jets Center » Blog »
• Vote: Will Jets make playoffs? Video

On Thursday, Holmes called out the offensive line for the second time in two weeks, saying the line is the root of the unit's problems. He made critical remarks after the Jets' Week 3 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, and he followed that up Thursday, by saying, "I may be criticized again for saying it, but it starts up front. The big guys know it. If they give Mark (Sanchez) enough time to sit in the pocket and complete passes, I think everything changes."

Now the big guys are ticked off. Guard Matt Slauson declined to comment on Holmes' remarks. The other three starting linemen didn't show up in the locker room during the media period.

Moore was asked if others share his sentiment.

"I don't know some guys, might side with (Holmes), that attitude of, 'I'm doing everything right and the blame goes on everybody else.' I'm sure guys are thinking like that, the selfish guys."

Asked if he's upset, Moore said: "Yeah, I am. I've just never seen anything like this."

Ryan refused to criticize Holmes for his latest shots, saying he doesn't like to restrict players from speaking their mind. He also suggested that Holmes' comments were taken out of context.

"I'm as guilty as anybody, sometimes when you make comments, maybe things aren't interpreted exactly how they show up on black and white," Ryan said. "The thing I can tell you about Santonio is ... nobody is more supportive of his teammates than Santonio. These comments, you can interpret them any way you want. I don't think he planned on it being a negative, how it came out." Ryan said he doesn't think his offensive linemen were bothered by the comment. "No," the coach said, "they've got skin like an armadillo."

Moore was obviously bothered, however, with the comments and the fact that Holmes was allowed to utter them.

"Somebody at the top is telling him it's OK," Moore said. Turning sarcastic, Moore added, "He's the captain. If that's how the captain feels about things, that's the psyche of the offense, I guess. Everybody takes their marching orders from that."

Before the season, Ryan named Holmes and Sanchez the offensive captains.

Moore said it was "the fourth or fifth time" that Holmes criticized a segment of the offense. He mentioned the AFC Championship Game in Pittsburgh, where Holmes criticized offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

This latest back-and-forth between Holmes and Moore comes at the worst time for the Jets (2-3), who are mired in a three-game losing streak. On Tuesday, they traded wide receiver Derrick Mason to the Houston Texans, a move that wasn't popular among his fellow receivers.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Slapstick
10-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Rex Ryan's chickens are coming home to roost...

Instead of coming together as the Steelers did last week, the Jets are fracturing...

I don't know if Rex will be able to keep the wheels on that team...it's the culture he created that is driving the team apart...

hawaiiansteel
10-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Rex Ryan sees nothing wrong with someone putting their foot in their mouth...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/152/271/rex-feet-time-copy_crop_340x234.jpg?1299776538http://lh3.ggpht.com/_S6znBtAfI68/TTE1KF0BkkI/AAAAAAAAAHI/R24_zaCsuw0/RexRyanFootFetish%5B7%5D.jpg

costanza2k1
10-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Rex Ryan sees nothing wrong with someone putting their foot in their mouth...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Discipline of Steel
10-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Does the coach always select the captains or do the players actually get to vote for the leader they want on some teams? How did we do it?

Eddie Spaghetti
10-14-2011, 05:57 PM
pretty sure the steelers vote on captains.

flippy
10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Sometimes I wish our captain would rip on our line instead of always praising them when it's clear to everyone else how bad they are performing.

I actually think Rex is letting Tone go to take pressure off Sanchez.

DukieBoy
10-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Stonio a captain?
The Jets are getting to be like a soap opera revival, Days of Feet and Ganja

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Santonio as Captain. That's priceless. :lol:

http://ourweed.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/captain_chronic.jpg

Discipline of Steel
10-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Santonio as Captain. That's priceless. :lol:

http://ourweed.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/captain_chronic.jpg

Very funny....Can you photoshop Stonio's face into that?!?

Pahn711
10-16-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't know if Rex will be able to keep the wheels on that team...it's the culture he created that is driving the team apart...

Yeah, wasn't it just last year that there were all those stories and broadcasters talking about how Rex had revolutionized the NFL head coaching position by letting his players say and do what they want? That he was some mastermind that could deal with all kinds of difficult personalities and forge a strong team environment? Guess not Rex :owned

Pahn711
10-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Stonio a captain?
The Jets are getting to be like a soap opera revival, Days of Feet and Ganja

It suits the Jets though, they name their best players team captains instead of those who are most experienced or have a proven track record of being leaders. Considering that environment and how many free big name agents they bring in every year, makes sense.

pretty sure the steelers vote on captains.

Yeah they do, the only exception is situations like last year when Tomlin kept Roethlisberger out of the voting due to his suspension.