PDA

View Full Version : Why the Success ?

fezziwig
10-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Not only did the Steelers win and win big they, made it look good too. It's been a long time that I've seen a Steelers team look good across the board. We won many games but many of them were ugly wins, the o-line would look their usual confused state. Ben running for his life, winning games out of the pocket on broken plays.
Then there would be the defense allowing teams back into the games, yada, yada.

Let's not forget Arians and not addressing what was taking place on the field against his offense.

What do you think made the Titans game so sucessful ?

Was it Ben with his three step drops ? Did the three step drops make the o-line better ?
Was it that Arians finally called a good game and tried or did establish the run ?
Was it that, Redman was in the game ?
The five TD passes, did they develope because the Titans needed to respect the run ?
The defense finally stopping the run. Was it the lack of Hampton ?

Add more questions or theories if you like .

I would also like to know if this past game taught our coaches anything and will they continue to allow the plays, the playerss to echo their performance and opportunities to play again each week ?

Or, will Arians sit on the run game, throw Kemoateo back into the mix and stop having Ben do the three step drop ?

Same goes with Hampton and Smith.
When they're all healthy again or what have you.

Steveo
10-13-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm going to guess the harder practice schedule (2 a days), helped to get them into shape. I've been hypothesizing that the reason so many "good teams" (Falcons, Eagles, Steelers, etc.) aren't performing well this year due to the much shorter than normal off season, and the lighter practice rules put in place by the new CBA.

steelblood
10-13-2011, 08:52 AM
protection on offense.

better run defense. Smith and Hampton sitting.

Eich
10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
There were a LOT of changes made for the game against the Tits and they all contributed to the success. I was thrilled to see so many changes implemented. Some of them were forced due to injury but it all contributed to the success:

OFFENSE:
A MUCH better game plan was implemented to counter pressure. Where has this been?
Ben did a better job of getting rid of the ball as quickly as necesary and protecting it
Redman was fired up and hit the small holes much better than Mendy had been
Starks was a clear upgrade in pass protection and run blocking
Everyone played with a better sense of urgency
Success was contagious and got everyone fired up. Even Hines Ward looked young again.

DEFENSE:
For whatever reason, Hoke was an improvement over Hampton
Timmons was more effective than an ailing Harrison
The young guys looked hungry subbing for the ailing Smith
Everyone played with a better sense of urgency

If the coaches and players continue to play smart, with a sense of urgency, this is a playoff team. We've shown we have capable backups for a lot of key positions. Don't bring any of the old guys back too soon just because they're vets.

Oviedo
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I've said for years that Ben would be unstoppable as a "dink and dunk" QB. Last game he focused on getting rid of the ball quick and the success was evident...the pass rush couldn't get to him and he completed lots of passes with great success.

feltdizz
10-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I've said for years that Ben would be unstoppable as a "dink and dunk" QB. Last game he focused on getting rid of the ball quick and the success was evident...the pass rush couldn't get to him and he completed lots of passes with great success.

I agree... you can dink and dunk and still go deep to Wallace... adding that weapon to his game and doing it consistently when teams force him underneath will make him the best QB in the NFL.

Some people think it's wimpy to take whats there but I think it's smart football. I don't want Ben to change but I want him to adapt to the D he is playing from week to week.

I also liked the way he challenged his WR's when they dropped balls or ran the wrong route...

Djfan
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM

I agree... you can dink and dunk and still go deep to Wallace... adding that weapon to his game and doing it consistently when teams force him underneath will make him the best QB in the NFL.

Some people think it's wimpy to take whats there but I think it's smart football. I don't want Ben to change but I want him to adapt to the D he is playing from week to week.

I also liked the way he challenged his WR's when they dropped balls or ran the wrong route...

:Agree :Agree

fezziwig
10-13-2011, 05:14 PM

:Agree :Agree :Agree

What or how did he challenged his receivers ?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-13-2011, 09:44 PM

What or how did he challenged his receivers ?

I might be wrong, but I could almost swear ("Jumpin Jehosophat!!!") that a few times when his receivers ran the wrong route or didn't turn on the hot read he got up in their face (more than he usually does) and barked at them a bit. Maybe it's just the power of suggestion ...

steelfin
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Not sure the answers are that simple....I have a feeling the coaches are asking themselves the same questions... :-)

Here's to a repeat performance this weekend.

SF

hawaiiansteel
10-14-2011, 02:45 AM
http://c.fn.fncdn.com/images/logo.png

Steelers Show Renewed Signs Of Life

October 12, 2011

http://a.fn.fncdn.com/images/content/W/201109280648/iob8S8.jpg

Too old? Can't stop the run? No intensity?

This makes Troy Polamalu's hair angry. Very angry.

The news of the Pittsburgh Steelers demise has been greatly exaggerated. On Friday Tony Kornheiser and Bob Ryan of PTI gave Pittsburgh a 65 and 33 percent chance of winning respectively. On Sunday Pittsburgh came out and put a 38-17 beating on the now 3-2 Tennessee Titans.

This was a coming out party for the Steelers. A performance that was night and day compared to the first quarter of the season.

"It wasn't perfect by any stretch," head coach Mike Tomlin remarked after the game, "but under the circumstances you had to like what you saw."

The crowd at Heinz field definitely liked what they saw. After the opening drives it became clear the Steelers came to play, and the crowd livened up and became deafening for the rest of the game. The Titans were certainly hoping to catch a down Pittsburgh team. By the second quarter, they found themselves reeling from the onslaught. Tomlin said a sense of urgency was needed this game.

How needed? On fourth down at the 50 yard line, Pittsburgh's punt unit came onto the field. The ball was snapped, and punter Dan Sepulveda went running to the right and threw a pass to safety Ryan Mundy that went for 33 yards and set up a touchdown a few plays later. The Steelers came out to send a message Sunday.

"We weren't going to leave any bullets in the gun." Tomlin responded to a reporter's inquiry to the fake punt. Tomlin fired all the warning shots necessary after thoroughly demolishing a Tennessee team that previously ranked 11th in the league in rush and pass defense.

Granted all this praise becomes empty and flies out the window if Pittsburgh lays an egg next week against Jacksonville. But if Sunday's victory is a harbinger of things to come, the Steelers are ready. Even with several starters out the Steelers' handled Tennessee easily with the youth on the field.

Before the game kicked off defensive end Aaron Smith, linebacker James Harrison, nose tackle Casey Hampton, and guard Chris Kemoeatu were ruled out for the game. No matter. Third year defensive end Ziggy Hood was relentless, adding four tackles and a half sack to the defensive effort. Eleven year veteran Larry Foote showed why he was once a full-time starter in Pittsburgh, playing well in the absence of Harrison.

Even the new guys were getting in on the action. With starting tailback Rashard Mendenhall dressed but not playing, undrafted Isaac Redman from Bowie State and sixth round pick Jonathan Dwyer from Georgia Tech combined for 174 yards, with Dwyer busting open a huge 76 yard run. 2011 first round draft pick Cameron Heyward showed when this veteran team finally starts to retire, the Steelers would be in good hands. He only registered five tackles, a forced fumble, and a sack.

Most impressive was left tackle Max Starks performance. A guy who was released for being overweight and injured came in after only a handful of practices and played an entire game protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Starks was supposed to be relieved by Jonathan Scott, but after right tackle Marcus Gilbert left with shoulder problems, Starks was forced to play the entire game.

"You gotta give credit to him for the ridiculously good shape that he's in," Tomlin said.

As a result, Roethlisberger only suffered two hits after being pounded the first four games of the season. Starks presence seemed to inspire an entire Pittsburgh line that looked anything but the much maligned unit that I myself even criticized. The improvement of the offensive line play rippled through the team and gave Pittsburgh the ability to impose its will on Tennessee. Finally pieces were falling into place, and if this level of play continues the Steelers will be counted among AFC championship contenders once again.

Yet all this praise, and we have yet to even compliment the stars of the team, like Ben Roethlisberger who threw for five touchdowns on an injured foot. Hines Ward who had an injection of youth catching two of those touchdowns. Mike Wallace netted 82 yards and a touchdown, and linebacker LaMarr Woodley made Pittsburgh's first interception of the season off a tipped pass by defensive end Brett Keisel.

As for Troy Polamalu's hair? It finished the game with nine tackles and three pass deflections. Like I said, his hair was angry.

Pittsburgh still has much worked to do. They are still 3-2. They gave up another blocked kick this week, the second game in a row of a special teams breakdown. The offensive line was much improved, but consistency and health is needed out of this group. And the sight of Big Ben walking with a limp makes everyone in the Steeler nation cringe every time he is tackled. This is not a group without its flaws. Pittsburgh still has to face New England and Baltimore once more before they get their bye week, and they could realistically lose both those games.

But on the six yard line tailback Isaac Redman, undrafted in 2009 and waived three times, took a dive up the middle in a scrum and trudged forward in a pile of linemen for five yards. It was powerful. It was imposing.. It was a more dominating run than highly touted tailback Chris Johnson had made all season.

Such a premature obituary was wrong. Especially after all those fine shampoo commercials.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/s ... life/9852/ (http://www.footballnation.com/content/steelers-show-renewed-signs-life/9852/)

Eich
10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
"We weren't going to leave any bullets in the gun"

That's what I want against the Cheaters in a few weeks. Throw everything at them. I can tolerate losing if we give it everything we have. Send pressure towards Marcia as often and in as many ways as possible. He's going to complete passes anyway. There's no sense dropping back in coverage all the time against him. Make him nervous and we can end up with a game like we had against Manning in the 2005 playoffs.

fezziwig
10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
I loved the fact that Ben did the three step drops, took the underneath stuff, the running game wasn't going to go away. With this they kept the defense honest and the four out five TD passes were not breath taking.........it was just a good old fashion butt whooping and the team looked to function very cleanly and they were a mechanical force out on the field.