PDA

View Full Version : No Aaron Curry for Steelers..he's been traded to the Raiders

Dee Dub
10-12-2011, 05:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70932 ... ources-say (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7093244/seattle-seahawks-trade-aaron-curry-oakland-raiders-sources-say)

I knew someone would make this happen.

Chavezz
10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
What is his cap number?

fezziwig
10-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Was he good ?

Dee Dub
10-12-2011, 05:51 PM
From what has been said on this forum he had a high cap number.

He was the number 4 overall pick in 2009. Was he good? I think he can be. I believe Seattle was playing him out of position. And I think he would have excelled inside in LeBeau's 3-4 next to Timmons.

But fahgettaboutit!!

fezziwig
10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
batabing ! thanks for reply.

steelerkeylargo
10-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Was he good ?

If he was good the talent strapped Seachickens wouldn't trade him for a 6 pack of Ranier.

Slapstick
10-12-2011, 07:14 PM
The Steelers traded Santonio for a 6 of IC Light...

Dee Dub
10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
SKL...you know this kid has an enormous amount of talent. Sometimes you get in the wrong situation and your talent isnt best utilized.

As I said all along he is best as a strong side LB and Seattle insisted on him playing weak side. Having him play in that space and in coverage wasn't maximizing his strength. He's a fast LB who is good at playing downhill...coming forward. Again..having him in a 3-4 inside where he can run stuff and blitz from the inside would have had him at his best. Sometimes you just need a change of scenery.

One other thing...it was said by many on this website that the Steelers couldn't afford Curry because of the cap. Let it be known Curry had to re-work his contract so that he could fit under Oakland's cap.

@dannyoneil
Danny O'Neil
#Seahawks LB Aaron Curry's contract is in the process of being restructured, which would be prelude to a trade.

Steelers>NFL
10-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Raiders basically have NO draft picks in the 2012 draft. Almost every picks have been traded. No too smart.

Dee Dub
10-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Raiders basically have NO draft picks in the 2012 draft. Almost every picks have been traded. No too smart.

Great point. And they are never going to win anything with Jason Campbell and Terrell Pryor as their QB.

Northern_Blitz
10-12-2011, 08:10 PM
What is his cap number?

This...after Starks I think we're in the low hundred thousands for cap space. Don't think we can fit anyone else this year. Colon getting hurt really killed our cap.

steelerkeylargo
10-12-2011, 10:15 PM
SKL...you know this kid has an enormous amount of talent. Sometimes you get in the wrong situation and your talent isnt best utilized.

As I said all along he is best as a strong side LB and Seattle insisted on him playing weak side. Having him play in that space and in coverage wasn't maximizing his strength. He's a fast LB who is good at playing downhill...coming forward. Again..having him in a 3-4 inside where he can run stuff and blitz from the inside would have had him at his best. Sometimes you just need a change of scenery.

One other thing...it was said by many on this website that the Steelers couldn't afford Curry because of the cap. Let it be known Curry had to re-work his contract so that he could fit under Oakland's cap.

@dannyoneil
Danny O'Neil
#Seahawks LB Aaron Curry's contract is in the process of being restructured, which would be prelude to a trade.

Their is no question the kid has talent, but his mental make-up, football smarts and drive are in SERIOUS question.

Pahn711
10-13-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm glad about this for two reasons:

1. People around here will stop obsessing about making a trade that is totally uncharacteristic of the Steelers (especially in the middle of the season).

2. It lets the fools waste draft picks on guys so underachieving that they can't even stick with an absolutely horrible defense. Remember, the Raiders picked up Bruce Davis a few years ago too.

Even if I buy the argument that he is being played out of position, a guy with true talent should be able to at least play well enough that the team who invested so much in him would not be so eager to be rid (especially after he was willing to restructure his contract). Lawrence Timmons has excelled at two positions, now thats talent.

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Five thoughts on Aaron Curry's departure

October, 12, 2011
By Mike Sando

Five thoughts on Aaron Curry's departure from the Seattle Seahawks via trade to the Oakland Raiders, pending NFL approval:

Writing on wall: Curry wasn't going to remain with the team past this season. Seattle had already reached agreement with him to shorten his contract so it ended after the 2012 season. The arrangement made it easier for the team to part with Curry. By accepting the new deal, Curry essentially said he was eager to get a fresh start elsewhere and willing to help make that happen.

Contractual complexities: Curry's contract contained enough guaranteed money to complicate efforts to trade him. For that reason, I expected Curry to remain with the team this season. The Seahawks and Raiders will need approval from the NFL office to make this trade official. Finding a way to make the contract amenable to all parties was presumably a complicated process. That explains why neither team has announced a trade agreement (update: Oakland has confirmed an agreement in principle). Nothing is official, but neither are there signs the deal will fall apart.

Eager to unload him: Seattle couldn't resist getting value for Curry even though depth at linebacker is a concern. Key backup Matt McCoy's placement on injured reserve diminished the team's options at the position. Malcolm Smith's expected return from a hamstring injury will help, but if the team had valued Curry's contributions at all, keeping him for the remainder of the season would have made sense from a depth standpoint. Leroy Hill has had injury problems in the past. David Hawthorne's knee bothered him earlier in the season.

Rookie replacement: Rookie K.J. Wright's playing time will increase. Wright had already replaced Curry in the starting lineup on the strong side, but Curry was getting snaps.

Curry's future: Curry stands a better chance for success elsewhere. Multiple teammates said they thought Curry struggled with the pressure associated with his status as the fourth player chosen in the 2009 draft. The feeling was that Curry could become a solid strong-side linebacker. That was never seen as good enough for a player drafted so early. Defensive end Red Bryant: "I can’t speak to how he feels, but just being one of his teammates, I don’t feel like he was probably as ready as he could have been. He's the fourth pick, gets $34 million guaranteed, you're the first linebacker taken in a class of Clay Matthews, Brian Orakpo, Brian Cushing. I think he went before (Mark) Sanchez and (Josh) Freeman. To who much is given, much is expected. I just (wish) him well."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -departure (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/48261/five-thoughts-on-aaron-currys-departure)

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Al Davis is at it again...oh wait...nevermind...

steelerkeylargo
10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Al Davis is at it again...oh wait...nevermind...

From his death bed he whispers into son Mark's ear. "Get that Curry kid in here....and I don't mean Ronald."

phillyesq
10-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Five thoughts on Aaron Curry's departure

October, 12, 2011
By Mike Sando

Five thoughts on Aaron Curry's departure from the Seattle Seahawks via trade to the Oakland Raiders, pending NFL approval:

Writing on wall: Curry wasn't going to remain with the team past this season. Seattle had already reached agreement with him to shorten his contract so it ended after the 2012 season. The arrangement made it easier for the team to part with Curry. By accepting the new deal, Curry essentially said he was eager to get a fresh start elsewhere and willing to help make that happen.

Contractual complexities: Curry's contract contained enough guaranteed money to complicate efforts to trade him. For that reason, I expected Curry to remain with the team this season. The Seahawks and Raiders will need approval from the NFL office to make this trade official. Finding a way to make the contract amenable to all parties was presumably a complicated process. That explains why neither team has announced a trade agreement (update: Oakland has confirmed an agreement in principle). Nothing is official, but neither are there signs the deal will fall apart.

The guaranteed money is why this had no shot at happening. He'll likely end up as a free agent after this season, and if the Steelers are interested, they can take a look then.

hawaiiansteel
10-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Aaron Curry to start for Raiders this Sunday

Posted by Josh Alper on October 14, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/610x48.jpg?w=250

So much for easing Aaron Curry into his new surroundings.

The Raiders will not only have Curry in the lineup against the Browns on Sunday, he’ll be in the starting lineup. Paul Gutierrez of CSN California reports that Curry will start at weakside linebacker in his first game since being acquired in a trade with the Seahawks.

Curry, who was a strongside linebacker in Seattle, will be replacing Quentin Groves in the starting lineup although Groves will likely play a fair amount if the Raiders decide to use Kamerion Wimbley at defensive end in place of the injured Matt Shaughnessy.

Sunday’s game will feature what’s sure to be an emotional memorial to the late Al Davis and Curry’s acquisition and immediate playing time are a fitting tribute to Davis. The Raiders have long been a team willing to roll the dice on players who washed out on other teams and Curry certainly qualifies after his disappointing Seahawks career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... is-sunday/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/14/aaron-curry-to-start-for-raiders-this-sunday/)