PDA

View Full Version : Will Ike Taylor make his first Pro Bowl this season?

hawaiiansteel
10-11-2011, 05:45 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

After further review Ö

October 11th, 2011
By Mark Kaboly

* Talk about playing well, how about Ike Taylor?

Taylor is having an All-Pro season and continued that against the Titans.

Taylor allowed catches of 8, 7 and 4 yards all while playing off-coverage. Taylor has yet to give a catch longer than 11 yards this year.

Taylor has never made the Pro Bowl, but is playing better than any other corner in the AFC through five games and that includes the Jetsí Darrelle Revis.

Hereís the breakdown so far through five games of Taylorís play:

Andre Johnson, Houston 3-23 yards
Nate Washington, Tennessee 2-11 yards
Mike Williams, Seattle 1-9 yards
Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis 1-11 yards
Damian Williams, Tennessee 1-8 yards
Pierre Garcon, Indianapolis 1-(-2) yards

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... FQ.twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/10/11/after-further-review-8/#.TpS0UpAk8FQ.twitter)

williar
10-11-2011, 07:20 PM
I sure do hope so. Ike has been underappreciated for a long time because he doesn't make a lot of splash plays. He just lines up against the other team's best receiver and you don't hear too much from them for the rest of the game. If Ike would have been playing for the Oakland raiders, he'd be Nnamdi Asomougha.

DukieBoy
10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes.

But the ProBowl is a joke.

skyhawk
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
No. But by no fault of Ike's. It's a popularity contest and nothing else.

The ProBowl is a joke too.

Chavezz
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
What a path Ivan Taylor has taken. I remember when he was drafted most everyone hated the pick. A former RB that moved to CB? What the heck? And what's up with the Ivan name? We all tried to pin the "Ivan the Terrible" nickname on him but he quickly made it clear that he went by Ike.

His first couple years he stuggled and wasn't sure if he was going to make it. Even after becoming a starter he wasn't considered a #1 CB. Even this offseason there were lots of folks that didn't think he should be signed to an extension.

I think he's done a great job this year shutting up the nay sayers.

Pahn711
10-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Not unless he starts getting some picks, thats what has ruined his Pro Bowl chances in the past.

chiken
10-12-2011, 06:50 AM
the "talking heads" are finally talking about him so I think he makes it this year.

Mister Pittsburgh
10-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Ike is one of the best in the business IMHO. Every week when talking about how the game could go and discussing matchups I pretty much say, 'and we can lock Ike up on ______ (insert best WR)' and never give it a second thought.

Ike has been a GREAT Steeler as far as I am concerned.

MeetJoeGreene
10-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Not unless he starts getting some picks, thats what has ruined his Pro Bowl chances in the past.

Yeah. That was my first thought.

The other thing is "who is his competiion" for getting in.

You know that Revis will get in. Will Champ Bailey get in on reputation alone?

Pahn711
10-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Bailey has been averaging somewhere between 2 and 3 interceptions a season since 2007, so if he keeps that up its probably a bit of both, ints and reputation. Thats what makes me think 1 or 2 interceptions that have a significant impact in a game could put Taylor over the top.

Now, the other competition is interesting. Last year it was Bailey, Revis and Asomugha. But the way Asomugha is playing this year (partly the Eagles fault for playing him out of position), there might be a spot open on the roster.

Cromartie is another guy that comes to mind, I'm not too familiar with his entire body of work so far this year, but he had a big int against New England last week, with 3 on the season. Then theres guys on the rise like Kyle Arrington from NE and Jason Allen in Houston.

MeetJoeGreene
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Bailey has been averaging somewhere between 2 and 3 interceptions a season since 2007, so if he keeps that up its probably a bit of both, ints and reputation. Thats what makes me think 1 or 2 interceptions that have a significant impact in a game could put Taylor over the top.

Now, the other competition is interesting. Last year it was Bailey, Revis and Asomugha. But the way Asomugha is playing this year (partly the Eagles fault for playing him out of position), there might be a spot open on the roster.

Cromartie is another guy that comes to mind, I'm not too familiar with his entire body of work so far this year, but he had a big int against New England last week, with 3 on the season. Then theres guys on the rise like Kyle Arrington from NE and Jason Allen in Houston.

Not to mention that Asomugha is in the NFC this year. :Boobs :D

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Unlike many Steeler fans who complain about Steelers getting snubbed by Pro Bowl voters, I typically actively root against Steelers making the Pro Bowl. Since agents use Pro Bowls as ammunition to get more money out of our team when renegotiating contracts, I'd rather our players not have extensive Pro Bowls on their resume (helps our cap room). Also, getting "snubbed" can be a motivational factor to spurn the player to try extra hard each offseason in an effort to prove himself worthy (which he may not otherwise do if he were receiving public accolades such as Pro Bowl nods). However, in Ike's case, since we already just signed him to his last Steeler contract, and he's always been an insane in terms of his offseason conditioning work, I don't need to worry about either of those conditions in his case. I hope Ike get voted to the Pro Bowl (of course, I also hope that he is ultimately unable to play in the game because he may be otherwise occupied in Indianapolis that week). :tt2 :tt1

Pahn711
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM

Not to mention that Asomugha is in the NFC this year. :Boobs :D

Ack, touche. :lol:

flippy
10-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Teams in the SuperBowl can't be in the ProBowl. Ike has other plans. Revis can have his Pro Bowl spot ;)

papillon
10-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Teams in the SuperBowl can't be in the ProBowl. Ike has other plans. Revis can have his Pro Bowl spot ;)

Here's to Flippy :Bow :Bow :Bow and to Ike and his other plans. :tt2

Pappy

steelblood
10-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Maybe. But, it is a little early for that. Heck, we haven't even played one-third of the games.

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Maybe. But, it is a little early for that. Heck, we haven't even played one-third of the games.

Well, last year, the NFL opened Pro Bowl balloting on 10-25-10 (with only 7 out of 17 weeks in the books) and closed all voting on 12-20-10 (with 2 weeks of games still to be played).

steelblood
10-12-2011, 04:30 PM

Well, last year, the NFL opened Pro Bowl balloting on 10-25-10 (with only 7 out of 17 weeks in the books) and closed all voting on 12-20-10 (with 2 weeks of games still to be played).

Players and coaches cast their votes toward the end of December. So, most of the season is taken into account for these ballots which make up 2/3 of the vote.

I doubt that many fans from around the NFL (other than Steeler fans) are taking notice of Ike Taylor's performance at this point. The only times he has faced quality QBs, they have not had their top WRs and/or their running games were firing on all cylinders. Ike is playing great, but, at this point, he probably needs to do a lot more to get himself into the pro bowl.

Pahn711
10-13-2011, 12:44 AM
I doubt that many fans from around the NFL (other than Steeler fans) are taking notice of Ike Taylor's performance at this point. The only times he has faced quality QBs, they have not had their top WRs and/or their running games were firing on all cylinders. Ike is playing great, but, at this point, he probably needs to do a lot more to get himself into the pro bowl.

What more can he do besides get some attention-grabbing interceptions?

steelblood
10-13-2011, 07:50 AM
he can't do anything to win over the (non steeler) fans other than big plays. he'll have to get in based on player and coach votes (and steeler fans). for the players and coaches to vote for him, he will have to play like this for another 10 games.

I suppose though that I shouldn't underestimate the voting power of steeler nation.

NorthCoast
10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Without question Ike was the most important signing in the off season.... This team would have severe problems without him.

steelz09
10-13-2011, 08:57 PM
No ... he won't make the pro bowl.

INTS and popularity get you into the pro bowl. Ike has neither. He does deserve it imo.

hawaiiansteel
10-16-2011, 10:53 PM
No ... he won't make the pro bowl.

INTS and popularity get you into the pro bowl. Ike has neither.

Ike won't make the Pro Bowl if he gives up TD receptions to no-names like the Jaguars' WR Jason Hill today.

it will be interesting to see how he fares against the Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald next week...

birtikidis
10-17-2011, 01:41 AM
He coulda had an easy pick at the end, but Ryan Clark knocked away the pass. Every corner gives up td's on occasion.

ikestops85
10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
He coulda had an easy pick at the end, but Ryan Clark knocked away the pass. Every corner gives up td's on occasion.

He had an opportunity earlier in the second half for a pick but in typical Ike fashion he let it go right between his hands.

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Ike Taylor: Shut-down Corner, Extraordinaire

by Anthony Defeo on Oct 25, 2011

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2114929/86674_Steelers_Back_To_Work_Football.jpg

Back during the off-season, when everyone was worried sick that the Steelers wouldn't be able to sign veteran cornerback Ike Taylor, I went on record as saying I thought that Lamarr Woodley was the bigger concern in-terms of getting Pittsburgh's free agents under contract. I thought Taylor was really good at his craft of covering the other team's top receiver, but he certainly wasn't GREAT at it. He's not Darrelle Revis.

Besides that, Taylor is on the wrong side of 30, and you don't make a long-term commitment to a guy of that age when he's playing a position that requires flat-out speed and quickness.

Woodley had to be the top priority. He's young and productive, and you don't want to overpay for older players like Taylor. You want to stay as young as possible on defense. That's how you stay on top in the NFL.

Well, as it turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong in my assessment of Pittsburgh's free agents.

The team did manage to sign Woodley AND Taylor, and both are certainly valuable commodities, but man, Taylor has stepped up his game better than even his biggest supporters could have envisioned when they were wondering if he was going to leave for more money. If Ike Taylor isn't the mvp of Pittsburgh's defense so far in 2011, I don't know who is.

A couple of weeks ago, during the Steelers impressive win over the Titans, CBS color commentator Dan Dierdorf remarked over and over again about how Titans' quarterback Matt Hasselbeck hadn't so much as looked in Taylor's direction the entire day. Dierdorf even wondered if Taylor would even have to have his uniform washed after the game.

That's when it hit me. Ike Taylor has turned himself into a shutdown cornerback at the age of 31. How many guys can say that? You look in the box score following most Steelers games this year, and you'd be lucky to see even one "pass defensed" by Ike Taylor. And it's not because he's getting scorched, it's because he's covering his man so well, there is simply no point in trying to throw it in his direction.

This was a man who was in Bill Cowher's doghouse in 2006 and was benched at a time of his career when he should have been in his prime. Little did we know Taylor was still a half-a-decade away from reaching his prime.

Taylor has become so good at covering the other team's best receiver that we barely even care about his career-long inability to intercept a pass. Hey, if the other team is afraid to throw the football in your direction, it doesn't really matter if you can intercept a pass or not.

A lot of fans normally worry about a guy losing it and not being as hungry after he signs a huge deal, but Taylor, a workout freak, seems to be in the best shape of his career. He looks determined to earn every penny of his big contract, and he's become a perfectionist.

Last week, when Jason Hill, Taylor's man, caught an 18 yard touchdown pass in the Jaguars' game, Ike was reportedly inconsolable afterwards. They say a cornerback is supposed to have a short-memory, but I liked the fact that Taylor was so bothered by the Hill touchdown because I knew he would go into yesterday's game against Larry Fitzgerald more determined than ever to show everyone that he's one of the top corners in the game.

I was interested to see how well Taylor would perform against Fitzgerald on Sunday, and if he really has become a true shut-down corner. If you remember back to Super Bowl XLIII, Taylor had his hands full with Fitzgerald, and towards the end of the game, you might say Taylor was on the ropes as Fitzgerald took over in the 4th quarter. I knew Fitzgerald would get his looks in Sunday's game. He's arguably the best wide receiver in football, and he's going to win his share of battles, even if he is going up against a top-notch corner like Taylor. Well, Taylor and Fitzgerald went at it the whole game like two super-heavyweights. When it was all said and done, Fitzgerald had four catches for 78 yards. He's not going to beat you with that stat-line. Ike Taylor did his job, once again. You can't ask for more than that.

Like most shut-down corners, Taylor takes pride in taking out the opponent's top guy. After the game in Arizona, as he was running off the field, Taylor reportedly was screaming, "Wes Welker! Wes Welker!" The New England Patriots come to town next week, and I know the Steelers' defense will have its hands full preparing for Tom Brady and New England's high-powered offense.

However, the Patriots are also going to have to prepare and be ready for Ike Taylor. After all, that's what teams do when they're about to go up against a shut-down cornerback.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ike-taylor (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/10/25/2510399/pittsburgh-steelers-pass-defense-ike-taylor)