PDA

View Full Version : Great explanation of Steelers and Salary Cap

BigRob
10-11-2011, 01:28 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -cba-rules (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/10/10/2478014/pittsburgh-steelers-salary-cap-2011-2012-new-nfl-cba-rules)

Very informative. Next year won't be any better for Salary Cap relief.

RuthlessBurgher
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I like this part best, right in the first paragraph:

And someone please let me know when Steelers Depot steals this hard work without attribution sometime in the near future.

:lol: We aren't the only ones who don't take kindly to those bastages. :wink:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I disagree. If you look at the individual numbers then it is easy to see where you can get cap relief for 2012. Just look at some of these savings and take into consideration the cost of replacing them. For the most part you will not need to find a starter to replace these guys making the added cost negligible.

Casey - save $4.89M - need a starter in replacement
Smitty - save $4.5M - Hood becomes starter, need a backup
Farrior - save $2.825M - declining starter so replacing him with a starter should upgrade production or use Sylvester and bring in backup
Ward - save $4M - $610K SB = $3.39M - Brown or Sanders moves to start, need a backup
Foote - save $3M - $600K SB = $2.4M - need a backup
BMac - save $2.5M - $166K SB = $2.3M - Lewis or Gay starts, need a backup
Battle - save $1.0375M - need a hungry rook

There you go. Just knocked over $21M off of the 2012 salary cap with 7 players and without restructuring. Of those 7, 5 are replaced with either players already on the roster or bringing in backup quality players (maybe even draftees): A. Smith, Hines, Foote, BMac, Battle.

We will need to find suitable replacements for the other two: Casey (Hoke is a FA) and Farrior (whose production is on the decline so I think that we upgrade if we spend similar money).

We spend $8-9M and we easily replace this $21M. We still need to make decisions on some players - all 3 other QBs, J. Scott, Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Starks, DJ, Hoke, Sepulveda etc. so the money will be needed.

BigRob
10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I disagree. If you look at the individual numbers then it is easy to see where you can get cap relief for 2012. Just look at some of these savings and take into consideration the cost of replacing them. For the most part you will not need to find a starter to replace these guys making the added cost negligible.

Casey - save $4.89M - need a starter in replacement
Smitty - save $4.5M - Hood becomes starter, need a backup
Farrior - save $2.825M - declining starter so replacing him with a starter should upgrade production or use Sylvester and bring in backup
Ward - save $4M - $610K SB = $3.39M - Brown or Sanders moves to start, need a backup
Foote - save $3M - $600K SB = $2.4M - need a backup
BMac - save $2.5M - $166K SB = $2.3M - Lewis or Gay starts, need a backup
Battle - save $1.0375M - need a hungry rook

There you go. Just knocked over $21M off of the 2012 salary cap with 7 players and without restructuring. Of those 7, 5 are replaced with either players already on the roster or bringing in backup quality players (maybe even draftees): A. Smith, Hines, Foote, BMac, Battle.

We will need to find suitable replacements for the other two: Casey (Hoke is a FA) and Farrior (whose production is on the decline so I think that we upgrade if we spend similar money).

We spend $8-9M and we easily replace this $21M. We still need to make decisions on some players - all 3 other QBs, J. Scott, Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Starks, DJ, Hoke, Sepulveda etc. so the money will be needed.

Your also forgetting we have 19 free agents. If you cut those seven players, we still have 12 players to re-sign. Not as simple as your make it out to be.