PDA

View Full Version : Keenan Lewis

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
10-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Is it possible that we have finally found an answer to the CB opposite Ike in Lewis? This kid seems to finally be getting it and is showing some real coverage skills. If he keeps growing into this role this defense could finally have the a secondary as good as the front 7 has been for years! We will find out...

Oviedo
10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Is it possible that we have finally found an answer to the CB opposite Ike in Lewis? This kid seems to finally be getting it and is showing some real coverage skills. If he keeps growing into this role this defense could finally have the a secondary as good as the front 7 has been for years! We will find out...

Let's hope but LeBeau obviously still doesn't trust him because Gay is still getting the starts. But at least Lewis is getting on the field this season. Let's hope Curtis get on soon.

papillon
10-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Let's hope but LeBeau obviously still doesn't trust him because Gay is still getting the starts. But at least Lewis is getting on the field this season. Let's hope Curtis get on soon.

Lewis played well overall, but he did get beat for the final TD by peeking back into the backfield and the WR ran by him. Of course, Mundy coming late to the dance as his over the top help didn't do him ant favors.

Pappy

phillyesq
10-10-2011, 02:13 PM

The issue of who is starting vs. coming off the bench isn't particularly significant in this case. The Steelers play enough nickel that both the starter and nickel corner see plenty of time. McFadden has been a healthy scratch, so the argument that the Steelers won't sit a veteran isn't particularly strong here.

Speaking of William Gay, who has been the favorite whipping boy of many (and I'll include myself), I didn't notice him at all yesterday. And I say that as a positive.

Hasselback was limited to a qb rating of 72.0 and 5.3 YPA yesterday. I'd say that is indicative of successful play from the corners.

Lewis has played better of late. There were obviously some issues in the secondary yesterday, with a few occassions with guys running free and the TD where Lewis was caught peaking and/or Mundy was late in helping, but generally, the secondary played well. They also got a bit lucky.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Speaking of William Gay, who has been the favorite whipping boy of many (and I'll include myself), I didn't notice him at all yesterday. And I say that as a positive.

Hey, we love to whip him when he deserves it so lets give him his due. Gay has done an excellent job filling in as the starter.

feltdizz
10-10-2011, 03:45 PM

Lewis played well overall, but he did get beat for the final TD by peeking back into the backfield and the WR ran by him. Of course, Mundy coming late to the dance as his over the top help didn't do him ant favors.

Pappy

Mundy did the same thing when Butler pressed in the Carolina preseason game. Dude is always late over the top.

Flasteel
10-10-2011, 04:21 PM

Pappy

Mundy was late coming over, but Lewis never should have released him so soon...especially when he was so close to the end zone. I didn't see him bite on the run, I saw him hand over the receiver to the (absent) safety too soon. I didn't look to see if they were cover 2 or cover 3 (single-high safety), but if it was the former...WTF Mundy?

flippy
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Thought he looked better these last few weeks. Lewis and Ike may have WRs on lockdown come playoff time.

He did give up the TD and probably shouldn't have let the WR go since Mundy wasn't really there to cover him yet. Not sure who to blame on that mistake. But overall he's looked way better and more comfortable than he's been in the past.

fezziwig
10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I thought yesterday was a better look at our secondary because to me, they haven't been tested much less the Ravens game since, a couple of the teams had good run games against our Steelers.

Did anyone notice late in the game when the Titans jumped off sides ? I believe one or some of the fans sounded a horn or a whistle that caused the off sides.
Afterwards they put the camera on Lebeau and he was grinning.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Post-Tennessee notes

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 09, 2011
by Dale Lolley

Keenan Lewis just keeps getting better the more he plays. Now, he'll get to continue to improve and the Steelers don't face New England for a few weeks, but he's trending in the right direction.

He and William Gay – who is also playing well – have turned Bryant McFadden into a high-priced special teams player.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-10-2011, 08:46 PM

Pappy

Mundy did the same thing when Butler pressed in the Carolina preseason game. Dude is always late over the top.

I'll take a backup CB who plays well all game until we are up by 3 TDs before getting burned once.

papillon
10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
[quote="_SteeL_CurtaiN_":jtaxn567]Is it possible that we have finally found an answer to the CB opposite Ike in Lewis? This kid seems to finally be getting it and is showing some real coverage skills. If he keeps growing into this role this defense could finally have the a secondary as good as the front 7 has been for years! We will find out...

Pappy

I'll take a backup CB who plays well all game until we are up by 3 TDs before getting burned once.[/quote:jtaxn567]

I'm with you, the only reason I mentioned the play is because it brought the onside kick and quick TD back into the game with about 3:40 to go in the game, then it's one score and who knows. If Lewis just keeps the guy in front of him and makes a tackle they have to burn more clock to score or possibly not score.

No big deal in the end, but just one of those little things that can add up over the course of a game.

Pappy

LouSteel
10-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Hey, we love to whip him when he deserves it so lets give him his due. Gay has done an excellent job filling in as the starter.

:Agree :Agree

William Gay isn't great, but he has been a solid player.

I don't care if it's Gay or Lewis... but I don't see any reason to bring BMac back to the field.

Shoe
10-10-2011, 09:51 PM

Sure I'll give him credit for being able to hold down the likes of Nate Washington, Damien Williams, and Lavell Hawkins. I doubt though, that ROB GRONKOWSKI is shuddering (what CB can't stay with a lumbering oaf TE like that).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Sure I'll give him credit for being able to hold down the likes of Nate Washington, Damien Williams, and Lavell Hawkins. I doubt though, that ROB GRONKOWSKI is shuddering (what CB can't stay with a lumbering oaf TE like that).

Another challenge on the horizon. I'm thinking that Gronk duty gets split between the nickel CB (either Gay or Lewis) and Troy when he is dropped in coverage.

The big question will be whether or not Ike can hang with the jitterbug.

phillyesq
10-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Another challenge on the horizon. I'm thinking that Gronk duty gets split between the nickel CB (either Gay or Lewis) and Troy when he is dropped in coverage.

I'd like to see Timmons thrown into that mix as well.

Welker will be a tough matchup for Ike, who has been covering more traditional outside receivers all year as opposed to slot guys.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-11-2011, 01:34 PM

I'd like to see Timmons thrown into that mix as well.

Welker will be a tough matchup for Ike, who has been covering more traditional outside receivers all year as opposed to slot guys.

Timmons' role will depend as well on if JH is back by then and if he is playing inside or out. Perhaps they put Ike on Brown and use a combo of Gay plus help to deal with Welker.

If they finally try to pressure Brady and single Welker then I think that it would be Ike.

fezziwig
10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Post-Tennessee notes

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 09, 2011
by Dale Lolley

Keenan Lewis just keeps getting better the more he plays. Now, he'll get to continue to improve and the Steelers don't face New England for a few weeks, but he's trending in the right direction.

He and William Gay – who is also playing well – have turned Bryant McFadden into a high-priced special teams player.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

I didn't get to see the entire game but what I did see Lewis, has the physical talent to do his job but still needs some more playing experience. I hope he gathers it quickly because a Tom Brady, Arron Rodgers and SanDiegos QB will make him pay for his mistakes just like Hasselback did.
I still say the best way to beat Brady is to get in his face and smack him around a few or several times the only trouble is, our defense never seems to accomplish that and I doubt this upcoming meeting will be any different.
As much love I have for the Steelers, I don't see us beating the Cheats in the playoffs. They have Lebeaus number.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Lewis is also surprisingly fast. I remember one update from training camp that had him knocking away a pass intended for Wallace in which he was matching him stride for stride. It is about time that his improvement is taking shape.

DukieBoy
10-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Ike blossomed in year three, I've heard.

Seems Lewis is blossoming in his 3rd year.

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Steelers Spotlight: Keenan Lewis

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
10/26/11

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/Players/2011_Keenan_Lewis_vs_Seattle_1_article.JPG

Catching up with third-year cornerback Keenan Lewis:

What do you think the difference is this year versus your first two seasons which is allowing you to see more playing time?
I think it’s maturity and learning how to be a professional. It’s that and gaining confidence from my coaches and my teammates that has helped me out.

Is that maturity seeing what this league is all about, that it’s more than what you expect?
It’s just becoming a professional. Once you learn how to do that you will be pretty good. I have learned from some great guys, the veteran leadership that we have on this team has helped me out.

How do you become a professional?
I just say make sure you do everything on time. Like coach says make no excuses. Just try to become better. Critique the bad things and that will help you out.

Coach Tomlin said you have a better understanding this year of situational football and how other teams might attack you. Do you agree with that?
Definitely. I have been around. This is my third year. I have watched guys Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark, William Gay, and Bryant McFadden. I watch how they watch film and how they watch things. I learn from those guys.

Did you approach things this year as if it’s time for you to step up?
I knew this was my time. It was going to be now or never. This league is about what have you done for me lately. I knew I had to come in this year and contribute.

Did you feel like you have proven yourself to your coaches and teammates?
Not to the point where I know I can. I know they think I have been doing better. But I want to be the best. I have a lot to work on.

You never want to see a teammate hurt, but you really stepped up and took advantage when Bryant McFadden was injured, and have worked your way into the third corner role. Was it important to not let that opportunity slip away as in this game, opportunities can be few and far between?
That is definitely the most important thing to do. That’s what keeps you out there and also gets you noticed by the coaches and the players. They say, wow, this guy can play. You don’t wish injury on anyone. But when your number is called you have to be ready to stand up.

What did you learn from you first two seasons?
How to be patient. It’s going to come. Don’t worry or get frustrated over things you can’t control. Just be patient and when your time comes, be ready for it.

What was the toughest thing those first two years?
For me not playing like I wanted to, coming from college when I played almost the second most games in Oregon State history. Just not playing as much as I wanted and not playing cornerback was frustrating for me because that’s what I do. That was the hardest thing for me.

Was it tough learning D!ck LeBeau’s defense?
It was hard for me adjusting because in college I just played man-to-man coverage. I really never had to learn zone defense. Coming in and learning was hard. I am still learning.

You are now married and have a daughter. You spoke previously about your maturity, did that help you mature?
When it’s one of those days I don’t feel like doing something, I think about my wife and my daughter and I know I have to account for them too. It helps me out big time.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 64556c13fe (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Spotlight-Keenan-Lewis/a528cc3f-a322-4098-86c4-fb64556c13fe)