PDA

View Full Version : Let's Count Our Blessings....

Dee Dub
10-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Here's a list of some negative things things that have happened to the Steelers that may turn out to be a blessing. Fill free to add to the list.

Ben Roethlsiberger hurts his foot, it keeps him inside the pocket, not moving around as much, and as a result he is forced to get rid of the ball quicker.

Rashard Mendenhall gets hurt, can't play, and this opens the door to Redman and Dwyer getting a chance. They both do well as a result.

The O-line is devastated by injury so much so that the Steelers are forced to sign Max Starks out of retirement. He comes in and does a phenomenal job at LT.

Max Starks gets cut by the Steelers in camp because of being over weight and for cap reasons. So what does Starks do? He get's motivated and comes back in what appears to be the best shape of his life.

B-Mac is hurt and can't play and this opens the door for Keenan Lewis to play. Lewis has done a solid job this far.

Not a negative but, the Steelers blow out the Titans and this gives several young players a chance to play. As a result we see why the Steelers drafted Cameron Heyward.

LaMaArr Woodley get's called out by the media and many Steelers fans. And what does he do? Steps up big time. Oh...and after 5 games he leads the Steelers in sacks and interceptions. :wink:

The Steelers get blown out by the Ravens.

The Steelers are called old and done on defense.

What else? What am I missing?

TD386Steel
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Starks may not be our savior but, maybe JC sent him :wink:

williar
10-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm just grateful we won the game, man.... And glad to see Ben have a good game. We needed it.... Because I was starting to have some serious doubts about this team and where we were heading.. I pray that we build off of this victory and see some consistency from here on out.

Shoe
10-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm just grateful we won the game, man.... And glad to see Ben have a good game. We needed it.... Because I was starting to have some serious doubts about this team and where we were heading.. I pray that we build off of this victory and see some consistency from here on out.

Don't exhale yet. This team has to show a lot more if they want to compete with the likes of Green Bay, New England*, and whoever else at the end of the year. Hell, we play New England* in a few weeks.

I shudder to think about how good Brady* will look (and how much the commentators will soak him in praise (among other things) with the way I know our secondary is, and our pass-rush looks.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Don't exhale yet. This team has to show a lot more if they want to compete with the likes of Green Bay, New England*, and whoever else at the end of the year. Hell, we play New England* in a few weeks.

I shudder to think about how good Brady* will look (and how much the commentators will soak him in praise (among other things) with the way I know our secondary is, and our pass-rush looks.

I am going to take antivomit pills so I can handle the announcers' Marcia-slobberknocking.

Actually ... no need ... Steeler radio is all you need!!

StarSpangledSteeler
10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Here's a list of some negative things things that have happened to the Steelers that may turn out to be a blessing. Fill free to add to the list.

Ben Roethlsiberger hurts his foot, it keeps him inside the pocket, not moving around as much, and as a result he is forced to get rid of the ball quicker.

Rashard Mendenhall gets hurt, can't play, and this opens the door to Redman and Dwyer getting a chance. They both do well as a result.

The O-line is devastated by injury so much so that the Steelers are forced to sign Max Starks out of retirement. He comes in and does a phenomenal job at LT.

Max Starks gets cut by the Steelers in camp because of being over weight and for cap reasons. So what does Starks do? He get's motivated and comes back in what appears to be the best shape of his life.

B-Mac is hurt and can't play and this opens the door for Keenan Lewis to play. Lewis has done a solid job this far.

Not a negative but, the Steelers blow out the Titans and this gives several young players a chance to play. As a result we see why the Steelers drafted Cameron Heyward.

LaMaArr Woodley get's called out by the media and many Steelers fans. And what does he do? Steps up big time. Oh...and after 5 games he leads the Steelers in sacks and interceptions. :wink:

Nice post DeeDub.

Going back a little bit farther...

The whole off-season from hell that resulted in the Ben suspension seems to have done him a lot of good. He's now married and more humble when it comes to fans/media.

Santonio's pick (i believe) gave us the opportunity to draft Antonio Brown who I believe is the biggest steal we've had in years.

The Kemo injury has given us the opportunity to see Legursky at LG which I believe is his best position (not to say that he's great, but as a back up he's better suited there than OC or RG). It also shows us there was very little drop off in performance with Kemo out. In fact Legs did better in pass protection. Hopefully the F.O. will now find a permanent Kemo replacement sooner rather than later.

And the strangest one yet... Our current situation of being right up against the cap will "probably" encourage the F.O. to cut some of our dinosaur veterans rather than restructure. After watching Heyward and Hoke dominate in the place of Smith and Hampton, and watching Lewis perform just as well as McFadden, it might cause a faster youth movement. This will help our roster talent AND our cap.

birtikidis
10-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I actually like Legs at LG more than Kemo. I think he plays better in space and is more cerebral, being able to pick up bltizes and help in pass protection. He's not the road grader that Kemo is, but neither is he the turnstile. I personally feel that Kemo is better suited to RG where he won't have to play in space. That would also allow us to pull to our left more effectively.

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2011, 03:07 AM
I like Cameron Heyward more and more every single time I see him play... :tt2

3 questions with rookie DE Cameron Heyward

You played against NBA superstar Dwight Howard when you were in high school. Did he dunk on you?

"He wasn't dunking on me. I made sure of that. One game I had like 20 points and 20 rebounds. A little bit of it was off fast-breaks. I'm not going to lie."

Have you had a welcome to the NFL moment yet, where it has really hit you that you are at this level?

"I don't think so. Once you try to take a look at that, I think you become complacent. Once you start staring at the stuff around you, it's going to pass you by. I just try and stay in the moment and try to get better because obviously I'm not where I'm supposed to be."

If you could have dinner with three people, who would they be?

"I'd have to say my dad, one, Walt Disney and Muhammad Ali."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1adSVIdTw (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761210.html#ixzz1adSVIdTw)

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Santonio's pick (i believe) gave us the opportunity to draft Antonio Brown who I believe is the biggest steal we've had in years.

Yeah, but one other trade was made first.

We got the Jets' 5th rounder for Santonio.

We traded the Jets' 5th rounder to Arizona for McFadden and the Cards' 6th rounder.

We used the Cards' 6th rounder to take Brown.

ikestops85
10-13-2011, 12:53 PM

You are missing rookies getting playing time and contributing on defense. :shock:

Yes, the defense that some here believe you need to have the intelligence of an Einstein to master has played rookies this year. I know, some have said it would never be done but Cameron Heyward and Chris Carter have both been spotted in defensive lineups. I think our rookie DBs might also have seen a few snaps.

Has our DC gone soft? Is the world coming to an end ... or did we just draft a super intelligent crop of rookies this year? Stay tuned ... I'm sure we will get a response. :lol: