PDA

View Full Version : Layin' the WOOD!

Jooser
10-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Hey, how about big Lamaar Woodley today! Huh, anyone of yinz haters? :Beer He was spot on today - a couple of tackles, a sack and a half, an INT, and loads of pressures on the QB. Must've been inspired by the hard running of Isaac Redman! :D Hats off to Heyward today too, he was robbed of that second sack. Great showing by the kid!
:tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2011, 04:21 AM
ScottBrown_Trib via twitter:

Woodley, with 1 1/2 sacks, has doubled his output for the season. :tt2

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1aMCOWBFx (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1aMCOWBFx)

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1338913/38209674E.jpg

Jooser
10-10-2011, 04:28 AM
It's gotta start somewhere, and that's usually the bottom..... :stirpot

Pahn711
10-10-2011, 06:41 AM
I was never really down on Woodley, but I'm gonna wait til he has a big game against a team that can actually run or pass the football on us. Thats where we need him to show up.

Slapstick
10-10-2011, 08:28 AM
This was a team that came in 3-1...

Perhaps the reason that the Titans could not run or pass effectively was because Woodley (and the entire defense!) played well...

Jooser
10-10-2011, 08:53 AM

Perhaps the reason that the Titans could not run or pass effectively was because Woodley (and the entire defense!) played well...

:Clap :Clap :Agree :Clap :Clap ATTA BOY!

BradshawsHairdresser
10-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Gotta give big LaMarr his props for yesterday's game...he put out more effort in that one game than he has in all the rest of the games combined, IMO.

Will it last, or will he go back into his "disappearing" mode?

I do think he still looked a little slow on a couple of plays. Maybe he didn't come into the season in the best of running shape?

Pahn711
10-10-2011, 09:11 AM

They lost to the 1-3 Jaguars and beat the lowly Broncos and Browns. If they hadn't taken out the Ravens that 3-1 would be pretty misleading.

I agree the entire defense played well, my point is, where was Woodley in the Ravens and Texans game. I just want to see some big plays when we really need it.

NWNewell
10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Interesting that Woodley seemed more productive and active with Hood in front of him today.

I'm a huge fan of Aaron Smith and I think he's been one of the Steeler's best (and underrated) players over the past decade. But perhaps his time has come.

Djfan
10-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Interesting that Woodley seemed more productive and active with Hood in front of him today.

I'm a huge fan of Aaron Smith and I think he's been one of the Steeler's best (and underrated) players over the past decade. But perhaps his time has come.

This.

SidSmythe
10-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Woodley needs to just RUSH the passer. he's awful coverage.

SteelCrazy
10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
He cant cover a WR........He is slower than the turtle that raced the hare.

pittpete
10-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Tell that to Mr Lebeau........

Shoe
10-10-2011, 10:56 AM
I was never really down on Woodley, but I'm gonna wait til he has a big game against a team that can actually run or pass the football on us. Thats where we need him to show up.

I was... and he proved me wrong. Not that I thought he was garbage mind you, just that he wasn't playing up to his ability. I was glad to see him playing with fire.

Dee Dub
10-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Do you realize what you just said? A LB on a WR? How many LB's in the NFL can you say are good at covering WR's? What....like none?

phillyesq
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Woodley is, for whatever reason, a slow starter. Now that the schedule has flipped past week 4, he should be fine.

Somebody posted the splits in another thread, but Woodley in weeks 1-4, throughout his career, does not put up numbers. Woodley post week 4 is a beast.

More consistently and better starts would be great, but I'll take a guy that finishes strong over one who starts strong and fades.

Shoe
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Woodley is, for whatever reason, a slow starter. Now that the schedule has flipped past week 4, he should be fine.

Somebody posted the splits in another thread, but Woodley in weeks 1-4, throughout his career, does not put up numbers. Woodley post week 4 is a beast.

More consistently and better starts would be great, but I'll take a guy that finishes strong over one who starts strong and fades.

If that is the case (that he is a slow-starter), it's not some unknown mystery. What one can reasonably conclude is that he doesn't prepare for the season properly. i.e. He's not in shape. That might be fine for a rookie, or maybe a back-up or fringe player. That's no longer acceptable for a guy making $60+ million. Get to camp ready.

NorthCoast
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I WAS/AM dogging Woodley. The fact is he is highly paid and needs to bring that intensity EVERY game from the START of the season, not one month into it. Reminds me of an ex-Steeler WR that would disappear for 3 or 4 games before emerging with a good one.
I will say that the game Woodley had is all the more impressive from the fact that Harrison wasn't playing.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Play of Steelers' Defense in Convincing Win Over Titans Proves Why They're Not to be Overlooked Just Yet

by Michael Bean on Oct 10, 2011

A quick shout out to LaMarr Woodley for the impact he had on the Steelers' win.

I was pretty outspoken in my critique of Woodley this past week. Here's one of the things I had to say about Woodley: Woodley, to his immense credit, has great hands and sound instincts in the passing game. You can't say that about too many dudes his size. That said, he's not fast enough to where those traits come into play all that often in the high-speed National Football League. I'd say Sunday's gave supported all those claims. Woodley showed off those impressive hands when he picked off a pass that had been tipped by Brett Keisel in the third quarter, just as Tennessee was trying to fight and claw their way back into the game. Amazing ball skills from Woodley with a tackle draped all over him as he came down with the ball. Woodley finished with 1 1/2 sacks, 1 INT and 3 total tackles in Week 5. He'll get lots of pub and credit from the mainstream media for his performance.

But he still needs to play better for this team to have championship aspirations. On too many plays he was a non-factor, and on at least one occasion in pass coverage, he looked far too slow afoot. Still, what I was asking for was for our highest paid player to help turn a game in our favor with his unique talent and skill set. He wasn't in on a lot of plays on Sunday, but he still managed to make a huge impact on those plays where he did make his presence felt. That's all I wanted to see, so color me extremely happy.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/