PDA

View Full Version : DL Better Without Snack and Smith?

BradshawsHairdresser
10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe it's purely coincidence...

I thought the young guys played well...We really need to find a way to have Heyward on the field more.

Herewegosteelers!
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Have to at least rotate Hood, Hoke and Heyward with Hampton and Smith on the DL. Can only help the line and the Linebackers.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I had the feeling Smith was getting manhandled, but do we know that Snack was too?

Snatch98
10-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I had the feeling Smith was getting manhandled, but do we know that Snack was too?

He's getting chop/cut blocked almost constantly. I don't know if the Titans were doing the same to Hoke but Hampton is getting it all the time. I'm not sold on Aaron Smith at all post injury but I've never doubted Big Snack. I think he would have had the same success today. They definitely need to rotate Hood and Heyward in because both looked very good today.

grotonsteel
10-09-2011, 09:52 PM

He's getting chop/cut blocked almost constantly. I don't know if the Titans were doing the same to Hoke but Hampton is getting it all the time. I'm not sold on Aaron Smith at all post injury but I've never doubted Big Snack. I think he would have had the same success today. They definitely need to rotate Hood and Heyward in because both looked very good today.

+1

I don't think Big Snack is playing that bad this season.

SidSmythe
10-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Big Snack hasn't held his ground at all this year in the run game. He's a half step behind from what I've seen

Pahn711
10-09-2011, 10:23 PM
I know its been awhile, but back in 2004 Hoke replaced Hampton for 10 games and their playoff run, and statistically it was reported that the Steelers run D was better with Hoke than Hampton. Thats why I figured losing Hampton for a game wouldn't be a huge dropoff in play.

Shoe
10-09-2011, 10:24 PM
The thing with Hampton is that he thinks his job is as simple as him eating as much as he can and being as fat as possible. That may work for Wilfork or Ted Washington, but it's my opinion that isn't ideal for him. Look at Hoke. I'm sure he can also gorge himself til he's 350, but how effective would he be? Instead, he has his own level of fitness and stamina that make him the player he is.

Hampton should manage his weight better, bottom line. And frankly, after 10+ years in the league, he should have a better weight management system then just, "Eat whatever fits in my mouth".

Pahn711
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Hampton should manage his weight better, bottom line. And frankly, after 10+ years in the league, he should have a better weight management system then just, "Eat whatever fits in my mouth".

Tomlin got on his case about that in training camp last year, so I have no doubt if that were truly the issue Hampton would be running wind sprints in practice all week.

fordfixer
10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
The thing with Hampton is that he thinks his job is as simple as him eating as much as he can and being as fat as possible. That may work for Wilfork or Ted Washington, but it's my opinion that isn't ideal for him. Look at Hoke. I'm sure he can also gorge himself til he's 350, but how effective would he be? Instead, he has his own level of fitness and stamina that make him the player he is.

So maybe that is what happend to Ariens missing playbook :D

steelblood
10-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Hoke was great today. He was pesky and penetrated and disrupted. He doesn't eat space like Hamp, but he pressures the QB better and pursues the play better.

Heyward pressured the QB a lot in the second half. He is by far our most athletic DL. When he figures things out and gets a little stronger. He'll be great. He must be on the field in the nickel defense.

Hood was better today. Some QB pressure and stout play against the run.

McClendon got limited snaps. I saw him get pushed around a few times. I'm not sold on him yet.

D Rock
10-09-2011, 11:40 PM

Tomlin got on his case about that in training camp last year, so I have no doubt if that were truly the issue Hampton would be running wind sprints in practice all week.

I've actually thought a couple of times this year that Snack looks smaller than he has in past years, and thought that could be a factor in why he has been getting moved around a bit more than usual by OLinemen.

Oviedo
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Big Snack hasn't held his ground at all this year in the run game. He's a half step behind from what I've seen

I've always liked Hoke because he play a different style than Hampton. Hoke always seems to be penetrating the OL while Hampton just holds in place. Not sure that Hoke sees the same number of double teams that Hampton does but his style seems to be much more disruptive. I think McLendon is more like Hoke than Hampton. I like that.

anger 82&95
10-10-2011, 01:48 PM

So maybe that is what happend to Ariens missing playbook :D
LOL. nice...

phillyesq
10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I've always liked Hoke because he play a different style than Hampton. Hoke always seems to be penetrating the OL while Hampton just holds in place. Not sure that Hoke sees the same number of double teams that Hampton does but his style seems to be much more disruptive. I think McLendon is more like Hoke than Hampton. I like that.

:Agree

Hoke has always been more of a penetrating and disruptive type NT, and Hampton has been more of the traditional space eating 3-4 NT.

I don't think that Hampton has played poorly this year, but I really liked what Hoke brought to the table yesterday, and I'd like to continue to see him get more PT, especially in games where Hampton is having problems with the cut blocks.

I also really liked what I saw from Heyward yesterday. He's playing well in the opportunities that he's been given, and I'd imagine that he'll continue to see more time even after Aaron Smith returns.

As for Smith, unless he is drastically different on his return, I'd like to see him play a very diminished role, no more than 10-15 snaps per game.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
He's getting chop/cut blocked almost constantly.

Boom goes the dynamite! We need to employ the exact same scheme when teams do this. This is an unwritten rule that players MUST enforce, only when other teams see their dlinemen getting cut will it stop. Unfortunately for the Steelers this is perhaps the only way for teams to establish any kind of run game against them so I fear it will persist until our olinemen do something about it.

hawaiiansteel
10-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Steelers DE Smith won't suit up for Jaguars

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 12, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-10-11/1012ASmithCAP-a.jpg

Veteran defensive end Aaron Smith will miss a second consecutive game for the Steelers because of a sprained foot, while running back Rashard Mendenhall could return to the starting lineup, though maybe not in the same role.

Coach Mike Tomlin was vague when asked what Mendenhall's workload will be against the Jacksonville Jaguars if he returns from the hamstring injury that sidelined him last Sunday.

"We'll see where his participation (in practice) leads us," Tomlin said. "We'll let his level of health and participation in the work week dictate that."

The Steelers have leaned heavily on Mendenhall since he became the team's starter during the 2009 season, and last year he logged 324 carries.

Isaac Redman, however, has been pushing for an increased role in the offense. Making his first career start against Tennessee, Redman ran for 49 yards on 15 carries. More significant, his physical style set the tone for a running game that piled up 174 rushing yards in a 38-17 win.

Jonathan Dwyer, who had 107 of those yards, is likely to dress again with Mewelde Moore questionable because of a sprained ankle.

The Steelers will use their sixth different starting lineup along the offensive line if right tackle Marcus Gilbert is unable to play against the Jaguars.

Gilbert re-injured his left shoulder against the Titans and is questionable for Sunday. Jonathan Scott will start at right tackle if Gilbert is unable to play.

Nose tackle Casey Hampton (shoulder) is questionable, and Tomlin said outside linebacker Jason Worilds is unlikely to play because of a quadriceps injury.

Chris Hoke will start at nose tackle if Hampton can't play, and Ziggy Hood will again get the nod at left defensive end.

The Steelers are also without outside linebacker James Harrison this week.

Harrison will be out "roughly a month" after having surgery last Tuesday to repair a fractured orbital bone, though Tomlin said the five-time Pro Bowler could return sooner.

"Every man's different, particularly guys that are wired like James," Tomlin said. "We'll leave a seat on the bus for him."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1aXCZq37P (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_761377.html#ixzz1aXCZq37P)

feltdizz
10-12-2011, 09:16 AM

Wow... that has to be the laziest critique I've ever heard. Hampton thinks his job is to eat?

Hampton isn't dropping off because he is fat.... he is getting old and I think the chop block is still in the back of his mind.

He's not having a bad year either...

Shawn
10-12-2011, 10:39 AM
The only weak link on our DL is Smith. Triple H is a nice line up but Keisel and Hampton are still playing at a high level.

California-Steel
10-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Yes, Hoke gets cut and chopped also. Just look at this break down of a play and you will see that he got chop blocked. They show a play where he got cut to the ground and then a play where he got off the block. http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Chalk-Talk---vs-Titans/a2b35115-3ad4-4aa8-914b-848c76711235
Hoke has a better motor than Big Snack.

RuthlessBurgher
10-12-2011, 03:33 PM
DL Better Without Snack and Smith?

Snack-N-Smith sounds like Puf-N-Stuf's cousin or something.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QkuLdZjRL._SL500_AA300_.jpghttp://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers3/hrpufnstufcompleteseriesdvd.jpg

DukieBoy
10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
More rotation please.

More Heyward in particular.

fezziwig
10-12-2011, 05:23 PM
It didn't surprise me that the D-line did better without Hampton. Do you guys recall the season Hampton was out and Hoke filled in ? That was one of our best Steelers defenses.
Hoke could be a starter for any team in the NFL if he wanted to be. He's a loyal Steeler player, team guy and probably has more under the hood due to less playing time.
I would love to see Hoke, Hood, Heyward anlong with Kiesel to be the starting bunch.
Hoke, Heyward and Hood = the 3H club.

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2011, 02:15 AM
Steelers Lounge

Posted on October 13, 2011 by ted

It was nice that LaMarr Woodley finally decided to play like he is capable and PAID $61 million to do, recording 1.5 sacks and an important interception. But I was most impressed by the play of an embattled and injured defensive line that is simply better when Aaron Smith is out. The starting ends should be Ziggy Hood and Brett Keisel, and everyone probably agrees outside of the Steelers’ coaching staff, front office, and a local Pittsburgh press that seemigly refuses to ever criticize Smith. After under-achieving through the first four games, Hood had the outstanding all-around performance that the Steelers used to get weekly from Smith in his prime, but that the 35-year-old, often-injured Smith now seems physically incapable of doing against any opponent.

There is no doubt this squad missed Keisel over the two previous games and rookie first-round pick Cameron Heyward provided the type of pass rush the Steelers have long been missing from their 3-4 defensive ends even with they had dominant defenses. Heyward should remain the No. 3 defensive end even after Smith returns.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/10/2 ... -bad-road/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/10/2011-steelers-simply-great-home-bad-road/)