PDA

View Full Version : Ariens missing playbook, Who took it?

California-Steel
10-09-2011, 08:10 PM
The game against the Titants was not the Steelers typical offence. Quick passes to the open man. Running to setup the pass. Screen plays to keep the D honest (still needs work but they tried them). Only one long ball down the field at the right time after quick hitters all day. Attacking a teams weakness.

Either Ariens misplaced his playbook or someone gave him and Ben a stern talking to and told them to run an NFL style offence.

The Steelers looked good except for that "lets get cute" at the end of the half pick that Ben threw.

If Ben and Ariens put togeather game plans like this all the time this team could be scary good. Ben would have 30 plus TD's every season.

Good game Steelers now lets not get cute and let it go to your heads. Keep it up and build off of it. :Clap

fordfixer
10-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Waldo

BradshawsHairdresser
10-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Obviously, Arians wasn't running the offense today. Someone else stole his body...

Hopefully, whoever it is STAYS in his body until after the season is over!

sd steel
10-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Obviously, Arians wasn't running the offense today. Someone else stole his body...

Or Ben finally ran what was called instead of changing plays at the line, (3 step drop get rid of the ball)...your guess is as good as mine.

Pahn711
10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Considering the extremes people have gone to condemn Arians, I just wonder how many wins it is gonna take before the naysayers change their tune.

California-Steel
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Considering the extremes people have gone to condemn Arians, I just wonder how many wins it is gonna take before the naysayers change their tune.One correct answer on a test does not make an "A". Consistancy is the word. BA has called good games before but one or two in a season does not make him a good OC. Today was clearly a good day for BA.

fordfixer
10-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Considering the extremes people have gone to condemn Arians, I just wonder how many wins it is gonna take before the naysayers change their tune.One correct answer on a test does not make an "A". Consistancy is the word. BA has called good games before but one or two in a season does not make him a good OC. Today was clearly a good day for BA.
+1

steelblood
10-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Arians is a great coordinator....

about 5 times a year.

Pahn711
10-10-2011, 05:06 AM

Except this wasn't just "one correct answer." The offense played pretty good against Seattle and has won a good number of games on both their Super Bowl runs. I think you guys are being short-sighted about this. I challenge someone to prove that since BA took over, the offense has lost more games for the team than won.

I'm just trying to pinpoint what about 2 Super Bowl appearances makes BA a bad coordinator. The offensive stats from 2008 to present are comparable to most teams among the top ten offenses (even though '08 was a pretty poor ranking). I guess you guys expect their offense to be ranked in the top 5 every year, but thats unrealistic, especially considering the premium investments the Steelers make in defense.

Jooser
10-10-2011, 05:44 AM
That would be called WINNING IN SPITE OF BA WITH STELLAR DEFENSE. [in reference to the post before mine]

Pahn711
10-10-2011, 06:38 AM
That would be called WINNING IN SPITE OF BA WITH STELLAR DEFENSE. [in reference to the post before mine]

Thats a red herring as far as I'm concerned, and not good enough for me. Ben has led plenty of 4th quarter rallies and the offense has kept up with high scoring teams to win games. Also, most teams can't win without a good defense and at least a capable offense, so to say "in spite of" is a bit off base.

Bouchette has said it many times, Steelers fans will always be backseat drivers and criticize the offensive coordinator no matter who it is and how successful they are.

feltdizz
10-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Or Ben finally ran what was called instead of changing plays at the line, (3 step drop get rid of the ball)...your guess is as good as mine.

:Agree

Funny how the one time Ben tried to go sandlot it ended in an INT 8)

Run the plays, stop trying to hit the HR every play and watch our talent make things happen. This is why the run game looked better as well, the RB's weren't trying to bounce everything for a big gain.

2nd and 6, 3rd and 4 is much easier on the playbook than 2 and 13 or 3rd and 15 due to runs for losses or sacks.

Djfan
10-10-2011, 09:00 AM
If anyone DOESN'T think that the game was run on an ENTIRELY different scheme from what BA usually does, you're on drugs.

This game was well done by everyone, even BA, but as far as scheme for the offense, it is out of the ordinary. Did you catch that word? ORDINARY. We don't usually run a game in this way.

Maybe we should.

Starlifter
10-10-2011, 09:10 AM
what I want in an offense.

1. to be consistently ranked in the top 10
2. to be able to both run and throw prolifically
3. to have an offense that is innovative and copied by the rest of the league
4. to have an OC that is identified as 'the next head coach in the league'

look, I know those are easy things to want and of course very difficult to achieve - yet as I keep saying, in these days of the NFL's love of offense it appears to me year in and year out with BA we look at pre-season and marvel over all the weapons and then we find ourselves disappointed during the regular season. I would rather performances like yesterday be the the standard - not the exception. I would rather an offense that AVERAGES 30 points a game. I AM an amateur when it comes to dissecting qualifications and performance. Yet I say year in and year out - the professionals in the league have spoken. BA is coveted by no other team. why is that?

Why do we lose our minds when the defense isn't ranked in the top 5 - yet are thrilled when we crack the top 15 on the offense?

we have a franchise QB. We have solid backs. we have speed and youth at WR. and we have BA.

the math seems pretty simple to me.

Pahn711
10-10-2011, 09:28 AM
what I want in an offense.

1. to be consistently ranked in the top 10
2. to be able to both run and throw prolifically
3. to have an offense that is innovative and copied by the rest of the league
4. to have an OC that is identified as 'the next head coach in the league'

Well, in the decade prior to BA taking over at OC, the Steelers were only ranked in the top 10 three times. And they weren't in consecutive years to be considered consistent. This is a competitive league, what works one year might not the next. And if we have an OC who is sought out by the rest of the league, we won't have him for long, then its back to the drawing board.

I appreciate you posting that though, its a perfect example of the unrealistically high expectations Steelers fans have for the offense.

Why do we lose our minds when the defense isn't ranked in the top 5 - yet are thrilled when we crack the top 15 on the offense?

Because this team has been about defense for a long time. This was an offense that ran to control the clock and relied on the defense to close it out. Obviously that mentality shifted on offense when Roethlisberger came into his own, and BA adjusted to augment those strengths. Whether he was successful or not, I know the popular opinion.

we have a franchise QB. We have solid backs. we have speed and youth at WR.

the math seems pretty simple to me.

Probably more than half the teams in the league could justifiably say they have all those key components.

Starlifter
10-10-2011, 05:26 PM
got it. in a pass happy high point scoring era of the NFL - you think it's unrealistic to expect a high scoring prolific offense. you'd also prefer a coordinater that is not considered a potential upgrade by other teams. we'll just have to disagree. I think the steelers should strive to be number 1 on both sides of the ball. not just one side at the expense of the other.

Pahn711
10-10-2011, 05:42 PM
got it. in a pass happy high point scoring era of the NFL - you think it's unrealistic to expect a high scoring prolific offense. you'd also prefer a coordinater that is not considered a potential upgrade by other teams. we'll just have to disagree. I think the steelers should strive to be number 1 on both sides of the ball. not just one side at the expense of the other.

Sure they should strive to be number 1, but as a fan to expect it year in and year out is not always realistic. Having a coordinator who is considered a potential upgrade is not what you said. You said you want a guy who is thought of as the next big name head coach of the future. Of course we want a sought after guy, but your expectation infers he won't be around for long. You can't have it both ways.

The point of this thread was Arians, and considering the Steelers haven't accomplished your expectations (for the most part) even before he was OC, this is about more than just him.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Possible answers to who took Arians' playbook are:

A) Ben

B) Mike Tomlin

C) The Rooney Family

D) the Steelers defensive unit

Starlifter
10-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Sure they should strive to be number 1, but as a fan to expect it year in and year out is not always realistic. Having a coordinator who is considered a potential upgrade is not what you said. You said you want a guy who is thought of as the next big name head coach of the future. Of course we want a sought after guy, but your expectation infers he won't be around for long. You can't have it both ways.

The point of this thread was Arians, and considering the Steelers haven't accomplished your expectations (for the most part) even before he was OC, this is about more than just him.

I infer nothing. my point is that since I'm not a professional coach it's likely that I can't make a professional evaluation of arians. nevertheless, I think he is an average coordinator at best. I base that on my amateur observations of his units over the past several years AND the fact that (in my opinion) if he were considered elite by his peers - there would be interest in him either as a head coach or some other upgrade, such as the assistant HC gig Russ Grimm got at arizona. and please don't think i'm comparing him to russ, I'm just using that as an example.

here's another example. the patriots have had a terrific offense for oh, about the last decade. is it all tom brady? he IS fantastic but besides him, they seem to plug players in and out every year and still put up huge numbers. so is it the players or the coach? certainly a combination and if you acknowledge that Ben is an elite QB (which I think he is) then the combination is lacking somewhere else. you are correct above. this thread is about Bruce Arians. I think he's had enough years to show what his offenses are capable of. They are good but not great. I'd like a shot at great - particularly if our great defense is potentially sliding back towards just being good.

hawaiiansteel
10-11-2011, 05:37 PM
After further review …

October 11th, 2011
By Mark Kaboly

Most of the credit for Sunday’s win has to go to two people – Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger.

Tomlin put together a game plan that put the offensive line in position to be successful (including Starks), and Roethlisberger followed through with it to perfection.

That game plan? Quick throws with a lot coming from the shotgun to protect Ben’s foot.

Only six times in 35 drop backs did Roethlisberger take a 7-step drop. The one time he was sacked? Yup, a 7-step drop.

Fifteen of his 22 first-half throws came out of the shotgun as well with the majority of them being 3-step drops almost making it impossible for the Titans to put pressure on him.

The Steelers have done that plenty in the past against Indianapolis and Houston, but Roethlisberger was very conscious in throwing the ball quickly.

Not once did he scramble to try to make a play. Sure, some had to do with the bum foot, but plenty had to do with sticking to the game plan as well.

* I know Bruce Arians is a hated man amongst the fans, but this guy needs to have some credit thrown his way.

A week after running the ball 13 out of 14 plays during the second half against the Texans, he followed that up by calling 28 more running plays Sunday and, wait for it … used a fullback a heck of a lot – try 15 times.

Now, David Johnson isn’t going to be mistaken for Dan Kreider anytime soon, but he was very good lead blocking against the Titans, and Arians took advantage of it.

With Johnson in a traditional off-I fullback formation, the Steelers ran for 59 yards, or nearly 4 yards per carry.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... FQ.twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/10/11/after-further-review-8/#.TpS0UpAk8FQ.twitter)