PDA

View Full Version : Game Balls: Week 5

SteelTorch
10-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Now that's how you win a game! :D

OFFENSE:

Big Ben! With five TD passes, I can't really NOT give it to him.

DEFENSE:

Chris Hoke. Yeah he may not have been the best player today but I thought he filled in well!

Overall, things looked better. Running game still needs work, but it looks better than it has. I hate to sound cynical, but one game does not erase five games of ineptitude. The offense needs to keep playing this way before they can be declared "better.". Same goes for the D. But still, way to win boys!!! :tt2

pittpete
10-09-2011, 07:04 PM
D-line gets my vote :tt2

fordfixer
10-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Sep throwing for a first down

Ghost
10-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Max Starks!

feltdizz
10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Game ball goes to BA. LOL... seriously though... we took what was there and didn't force it down field.

If we keep respecting what the opponents strengths are and take what is there I think we are back on track on O.

I thought the running game was awesome. My only problem is the lack of touches by Dwyer... how does a guy go 85 yards on his first touch and we don't go back to him the next series or a series after that.

Game ball goes to Ben .. maybe he was playing rope a dope with the stubborn quotes because he damn sure changed his game up.

winwithd
10-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Maybe because the hole was huge and most RBs would score on that but Dwyer is slow. Mendy would have scored, Redman probably not. I did not see the game til 6 minutes left but when I heard Dwyer had gone for 76 I couldn't wait to finally see this play because I could not imagine him going that far without someone running him down from behind sooner.

SteelAbility
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
The OL.

Shoe
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Hoke played great. Hey Hampton--you tubalard. Step your game up, or get out of the way and let Hoke in there.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Max Starks!

Steelers coach rewards OT Starks' efforts

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Monday, October 10, 2011

Max Starks spent seven seasons with the Steelers and won two Super Bowls before returning this week, but he never received an individual game ball until coach Mike Tomlin presented the veteran left tackle with one Sunday.

"Quite honestly, we needed it," Tomlin said, referring to his battered offensive line. "He was able to provide what we needed."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was more effusive: "Max was fantastic. He went from the couch to a game ball! That's Steelers football!"

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked once after running for his life in the first four games, and the Steelers deployed their best running game.

Starks said he previously received a game ball from Bill Cowher, but that one was given to the offensive line as a unit.

"This is different," Starks said. "It's special. I'll put it right up on my mantel with the two Super Bowl rings."

Someone even made a "78" banner for Starks' number, hanging above the north end zone.

"All my teammates made sure I saw it," Starks said. "I can't say enough about what kind of a week it's been."

INSIDE THE LINES

Watching Starks push around the Titans on Sunday, it's hard to fathom he had been unemployed a week earlier. It's too early to say Starks' return has stabilized the Steelers' offensive line, but it couldn't have been coincidence that the line gave Roethlisberger the most protection he has enjoyed all season. Starks learned Friday he would start against the Titans.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1aM63KijJ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761078.html#ixzz1aM63KijJ)

Jooser
10-10-2011, 04:26 AM
How about Woodley? He snatched the life right out the Tits with that INT after the on-side kick. He looked more like himself today, so I'll at least give him an atta boy if not the game ball. Hats off to Hoke, an unsung hero who always steps up admirably. Big Ben also gets a nod today.

Great overall team effort. Way to get physical!

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj48/marckyle64/olivianewtonjohn.jpg

chiken
10-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Troy was huge.. Filling in the hole that was left because Timmons was playing the outside.. TE's were killing our defense this year when they leaked out. Troy crushed that play consistently

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
O - Starks: No explanation needed
Redman: For just hitting the hole and seeing where it takes him
Dwyer: One huge play and a couple of other decent runs

D - Wood: For finally showing us that he remembers how to play
Hoke: A beast today
Hood: Buzzing around the ball all game
Heyward: Great penetration and disruption when given the chance

As you can see, I only went with players who were asked to step in and step up due to circumstances. The only actual starter on my list is Wood who had not been playing like a starter.

And my honorary "No game ball" goes to Ike Taylor for barely seeing a ball all game. I've always stood behind this guy but he is having the best season of his career so far. He has reached the "Shut Down Corner" elite level in which the QB doies not even look his way anymore.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Steelers Report Card: Game 5 vs. Titans

Monday, October 10, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

QUARTERBACKS A+

Playing with a sprained left foot, Ben Roethlisberger threw TD passes on the first three possessions and finished with 228 yards and five TDs, tying his career high. Roethlisberger executed a lot of quick-rhythm passes, targeting 11 receivers, and finished it off with a 40-yard scoring pass to Mike Wallace. His only mistake: A botched spike when he was intercepted.

RUNNING BACKS A

It didn't seem to matter that Rashard Mendenhall was kept on the sidelines with a hamstring injury. Not when Jonathan Dwyer set up the third TD with a 76-yard run and finished with 107 yards on 11 carries -- the first 100-yard rusher of the season. Isaac Redman had 23 of his 49 yards on four carries on the fourth TD drive as the Steelers rushed for a season-best 174 yards.

WIDE RECEIVERS A

Hines Ward got involved with the offense again, catching a game-high seven passes for 54 yards and two touchdowns. Mike Wallace put the finishing touches on a six-catch performance with a 40-yard TD. And eight receivers caught passes, including TE Heath Miller, who had the first TD and also caught a 20-yarder to set up the fourth TD.

OFFENSIVE LINE A

LT Max Starks got a game ball for the way he performed in his first start after three days' practice, leading a unit that allowed just one sack after allowing 14 in the first four games. What's more, the run game averaged 6.2 yards per attempt. Doug Legursky, who started for LG Chris Kemoeatu, threw the big block on the counter play that sprang Dwyer on his 76-yard run.

DEFENSIVE LINE B

They adjusted quickly to the stretch play after Chris Johnson gained 21 yards on the first carry. After that, he gained only 30 yards on 13 carries as the Titans finished with 66 yards on 18 carries. NT Chris Hoke was very active playing for Casey Hampton, rookie DE Cam Heyward had a sack and forced an intentional grounding, and DE Brett Keisel batted the pass that LaMarr Woodley intercepted.

LINEBACKERS A

Playing without James Harrison on the right side, the defense needed a big performance from Woodley -- and got it. He had 1 1/2 sacks on QB Matt Hasselbeck, who had been sacked only four times, and also came up with a big interception after the Titans recovered an onside kick. His pick was the first by the Steelers and only their second takeaway this season.

DEFENSIVE BACKS B

Sure, Hasselbeck passed for 262 yards, but 150 of those came after the score was 28-3. He had only 76 yards in the first half, when the score was 21-3. The secondary did a good job preventing big plays, allowing only one pass longer than 20 yards -- a 25-yarder to set up their first TD. Troy Polamalu had nine tackles, but a pass interference on fourth down led to the Titans' final TD.

SPECIAL TEAMS B-

What looked like an outstanding performance by the unit quickly dissipated when the Titans recovered an onside kick and blocked a punt, the latter leading to a TD. But Daniel Sepulveda's pass to Ryan Mundy on a fake punt kept alive the second TD drive. Antonio Brown's 52-yard kickoff return after an opening field goal was just the jump-start the team needed.

COACHING A+

Everything went right. The offense said it needed to start helping out the defense, and it did just that with a solid mix of running and passing. The defense didn't allow a play longer than 25 yards and came up with a big takeaway. The fake punt call by Mike Tomlin was just the kind of juice the team needed. So was Tomlin's challenge on a third-down incompletion to keep alive the first scoring drive.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11283/11 ... z1aOnC56mm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11283/1181009-66-0.stm#ixzz1aOnC56mm)

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
10-10-2011, 03:28 PM
How about Ike, he was out there pickin daisies all game long. What does a shutdown corner look like, he is invisible.

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2011, 07:17 PM
By Dejan Kovacevic, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 10, 2011

Steelers vs. Tennessee Titans 10/9/11

Game balls

Columnist Dejan Kovacevic chooses the game's top performers:

Isaac Redman, Steelers RB: Forget the 49 yards. Doesn't tell the tale. How about the relentless dragging and driving back of defenders? He set the tone, and Jonathan Dwyer followed suit.

Max Starks, Steelers LT: He wasn't the only lineman who performed well in his return/rescue, but he was a big reason Ben Roethlisberger could play hobbled. What were they waiting for?

LaMarr Woodley, Steelers OLB: Finally showed his disruptive side: Doubled his sack total with 1.5, intercepted a pass and was part of defense that kept Tennessee RB Chris Johnson unusually quiet.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1aPrqw2c0 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761077.html#ixzz1aPrqw2c0)