PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Big Ben...

StarSpangledSteeler
10-09-2011, 03:46 PM
1) Toughest QB in the NFL. Not only his ability to play through pain, but to perform at an elite level even when injured.

2) Fiery competitor. Whether he's down by three touchdowns or up by three touchdowns. He never quits.

3) Not one dimensional. Ben got rid of the ball pretty quickly all day long. Almost exclusively short passes. Staying in the pocket. And he threw for five TD's in one of his best games ever. I sincerely hope that he takes an honest look at the game film and realizes he is not strictly a scrambling, street ball, seven seconds per play, type of QB. He can do both. There is a time and a place for both. Let the defense dictate that. (And our OL).

BURGH86STEEL
10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
1) Toughest QB in the NFL. Not only his ability to play through pain, but to perform at an elite level even when injured.

2) Fiery competitor. Whether he's down by three touchdowns or up by three touchdowns. He never quits.

3) Not one dimensional. Ben got rid of the ball pretty quickly all day long. Almost exclusively short passes. Staying in the pocket. And he threw for five TD's in one of his best games ever. I sincerely hope that he takes an honest look at the game film and realizes he is not strictly a scrambling, street ball, seven seconds per play, type of QB. He can do both. There is a time and a place for both. Let the defense dictate that. (And our OL).

I agree, Ben played a great game today outside of a few poorly throw passes and the mistake that possibly took points off the board before the end of the half.

We've seen Ben perform this well in the past. Then wonder what happened to the Ben from previous week. Steelers will be a much better offensive team if Ben can perform with more consistency on a game to game basis. I hope he realizes that taking with the defense offers and making quick decisions will help to keep him healthy. It will also make everyone else around him more effective.

williar
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Dude finally came through with a game winning performance when our offensive so desperately needed some scoring and leadership. I hope it continues.

Flasteel
10-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Dude finally came through with a game winning performance when our offensive so desperately needed some scoring and leadership. I hope it continues.

Finally?

Shut your friggin' uninformed pie hole.

Scarletfire1970
10-09-2011, 05:00 PM

The biggest difference was the performance of our oline. They gave Ben and the WRs enough time to do their jobs.

Scarletfire1970
10-09-2011, 05:02 PM
STFU jackazss. Did you just start watching this team? finally? Really?

SteelAbility
10-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Guys I think williar is talking about weeks 1-4 of the 2011 season where his statement is absolutely accurate ...

Week 1 Ravens - Ben does not have game-winning performance
Week 2 Seahawks - D gives up 0 points - any performance there wins
Week 3 Colts - Struggle to beat an 0-2 team (now 0-5) with very subpar backup QBs
Week 4 Texans - Only put up 10 points

Plus coming into today's game Ben had 3 TDs to 5 INTs and (I think) four, maybe five, lost fumbles.

Obviously in seasons past Ben has been the shizzzzz. But so far in 2011, this was the first game where he's had an impressive performance.

Scarletfire1970
10-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Guys I think williar is talking about weeks 1-4 of the 2011 season where his statement is absolutely accurate ...

Week 3 Colts - Struggle to beat an 0-2 team (now 0-5) with very subpar backup QBs

Plus coming into today's game Ben had 3 TDs to 5 INTs and (I think) four, maybe five, lost fumbles.

Obviously in seasons past Ben has been the shizzzzz. But so far in 2011, this was the first game where he's had an impressive performance.
His performance is directly related to the performance of the guys in front of him. It is a team game. The line played extremely well today, Arians called a good game, Ben had time to find his WRs and the running backs found holes. It is that simple.

SteelAbility
10-09-2011, 05:27 PM

His performance is directly related to the performance of the guys in front of him. It is a team game. The line played extremely well today, Arians called a good game, Ben had time to find his WRs and the running backs found holes. It is that simple.

No argument there. However, I do think Ben's performance under adversity in the first four games this year doesn't compare to his performance under adversity prior to now (on average).

It does also look like the Steelers are a different team at home versus away (as compared to the past). But there's a lot more football to go. We'll see.

Djfan
10-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I hope Ben caught a taste of what the other QBs do in this league, AND LIKES IT!!!

This was completely different from what he likes to do (IMO), so maybe he will say "That was cool!" and tries it again.

and again, and again,.......

feltdizz
10-09-2011, 07:01 PM

The biggest difference was the performance of our oline. They gave Ben and the WRs enough time to do their jobs.

Ben took 3 step drops all day long and didn't give our OL a chance to show how good or bad they were.

feltdizz
10-09-2011, 07:02 PM
I hope Ben caught a taste of what the other QBs do in this league, AND LIKES IT!!!

This was completely different from what he likes to do (IMO), so maybe he will say "That was cool!" and tries it again.

:Agree

StarSpangledSteeler
10-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Well said, DJ-

That's pretty much my thinking as well. We all know Ben likes to be different. Sometimes that's a good thing. But sometimes you need to do what works best rather than what you like best. I just hope he watches the game tape and is willing to see his game a little bit differently. It has to come from him.

DukieBoy
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM

Well said, DJ-

That's pretty much my thinking as well. We all know Ben likes to be different. Sometimes that's a good thing. But sometimes you need to do what works best rather than what you like best. I just hope he watches the game tape and is willing to see his game a little bit differently. It has to come from him.

Yes. This was winning football today. Not big stats, and not go for broke big play focused, and not sandlot football. And only one sack, and no fumbles by Ben.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM

Ben took 3 step drops all day long and didn't give our OL a chance to show how good or bad they were.
Not sure the OL made any kind of miracle turnaround...biggest difference was shorter drops by the QB and getting the ball out quickly.

NJ-STEELER
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
i think we're fooling ourselves a bit if we think 3 step drops is the answer to all our problems.

there will be times when the OL needs to block for more then a 3 step drop.

like the game on tonight. collinsworth noted that atlanta's secondary is creeping up knowing rodgers has to get rid of the ball cause their 2 starting OTs are out of the game.

defenses we play will also adjust to it. and when they do it, the OL will need to block for a 5/7 step drop to make them pay for it and hit them with a deep ball.

there were plenty of plays in the first 4 games where a short quick pass/hot read was supposed to be the play.
just because they went incomplete (for one reason or another) doesnt mean we didnt try to adjust... and thats not to say Ben wasnt at fault for some of them

that said, i was encouraged with the OL play today and with max in there, i think (hope) its improved enuff to do it

NJ-STEELER
10-09-2011, 10:33 PM

Not sure the OL made any kind of miracle turnaround...biggest difference was shorter drops by the QB and getting the ball out quickly.

max wasnt beaten 6-7 times by a simple rip move by the RDE to get in ben's face in under a second like essux was last week. and if he was, bronco was smart enuff to keep the gap to a minimum unlike kemo last week.

i couldnt believe how often that worked for the texans last week

grotonsteel
10-09-2011, 10:45 PM
i think we're fooling ourselves a bit if we think 3 step drops is the answer to all our problems.

there will be times when the OL needs to block for more then a 3 sec drop.

like the game on tonight. collinsworth noted that atlanta's secondary is creeping up knowing rodgers has to get rid of the ball cause their 2 starting OTs are out of the game.

defenses we play will also adjust to it. and when they do it, the OL will need to block for a 576 step drop to make them pay for it and hit them with a deep ball.

there were plenty of plays in the first 4 games where a short quick pass/hot read was supposed to be the play.
just because they went incomplete (for one reason or another) doesnt mean we didnt try to adjust... and thats not to say Ben was at fault for some of them

that said, i was encouraged with the OL play today and with max in there, i think (hope) its improved enuff to do it

You just can't have a playbook of only 3 step drop.

chiken
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
If you take an offense thats built around the run, and you destroy the run - then you will ultimately destroy the offense. Ben needs the threat of a run to be successful. This comes with the line play.
our success is tied directly into the running games success which is tied into the line...
I can see if we had a running game in the first 4 games and Ben was still getting ate up behind the line - but that was not the case.

ikestops85
10-09-2011, 11:54 PM

there will be times when the OL needs to block for more then a 3 sec drop.

defenses we play will also adjust to it. and when they do it, the OL will need to block for a 576 step drop to make them pay for it and hit them with a deep ball.

just because they went incomplete (for one reason or another) doesnt mean we didnt try to adjust... and thats not to say Ben was at fault for some of them

You just can't have a playbook of only 3 step drop.

Exactly ... and how many of Ben's passes were drop-backs anyway. I think the majority of them were from the shotgun.

The clear difference between this game and the other 4 was the play of the lines. Both on offense and defense. The offensive line gave Ben great protection and got some push on short yardage situations. The defensive line ate up blockers and kept them off the backers.

This game just showed us what this team is capable of. Now they have to be mentally ready to do it for the rest of the season.

:tt2 :tt2

feltdizz
10-10-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone knows we have 5 and 7 step drops in our offense and what they looked like this year.

The 3 step quick release worked yesterday. i don't care if we tried it before a few times we didn't try it enough in 3 of the first 4 games and we have tape to prove it.

williar
10-10-2011, 10:40 AM
STFU jackazss. Did you just start watching this team? finally? Really?

That's the point..... When is the last time Ben had a really good game? That's what I thought.... Ben has not been playing well. Do you watch the game? I'm just taking notice that he came through today. He did what an "elite" QB is supposed to do, put points on the board. Let's hope that Ben has learned something from his poor performances. Should anyone be surprised that when he plays well the team looks unbeatable..

chiken
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
He did what an "elite" Qb does with decent protection.

Have you not Seen Brady or Manning when the protection is not there - they are not so Elite.. in fact they outright suck when you get them moving. How about Breeze or Rivers. When the rush is getting back there those guys look mortal at best.

Bottom line is You Dont look Elite when your Center is hiking defensive Linemen into your mouth every other snap...

hawaiiansteel
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Game 5 vs. Titans

Monday, October 10, 2011

Game Ball goes to: QB Ben Roethlisberger

It doesn't seem to matter what the injury is or how restrictive it might be, but Roethlisberger was not bothered by a sprained left foot that limited his practice time last week and made it difficult to get on his toes and push off. He tied his career high with five touchdown passes, including one on each of the first three possessions, as the offense generated 431 yards. "I don't see him slow down ever once he gets in a game," said WR Mike Wallace. "When he suits up, he's going 100 percent, even if he's 50 percent."

X's AND O's

When Titans RB Chris Johnson ran 21 yards on the first play from scrimmage, it looked as though it might be another long day of trying to stop the stretch play for the Steelers defense. After that, though, Johnson never had a run longer than 5 yards and was stopped twice for losses on the same play. "Our defense did a better job," said ILB James Farrior, who had a team-high 13 tackles. "Everybody did their responsibility and did what they were supposed to be doing. We had guys hustling to the ball."

THE COUNTDOWN

A quick look at the top performances from Sunday's game:

1. FIRST PICK: The Titans momentarily threatened to get back in the game when RB Chris Johnson scored on a 1-yard run to make it 28-10 and CB Alterraun Verner recovered an onside kick. But, on the next play, DE Brett Keisel tipped a Matt Hasselbeck pass, and OLB LaMarr Woodley came up with the team's first interception of the season, resulting in a field goal. "That was a great play by Brett Keisel," Woodley said. "That play doesn't happen without Brett Keisel getting his hands up."

2. TITAN-IC RETURN: After the Titans took a 3-0 lead on the opening possession, Antonio Brown returned the ensuing kickoff 52 yards to the 50 to jump-start the offense to the first of three consecutive TD drives. "That was the juice we needed," said special teams coach Al Everest.

3. WHAT A FAKE: Two plays after a fake punt gave the Steelers possession at the Titans 17, Roethlisberger made a great play fake and found Hines Ward wide open for a 7-yard TD to give the Steelers a 14-3 lead.

4. DWYER FLYER: Dressing for the first time this season because of an injury to Mewelde Moore, RB Jonathan Dwyer followed guard Doug Legursky on a counter play and ran 76 yards to the Titans 14, setting up Roethlisberger's third TD pass to make it 21-3.

5. DOUBLE DANCE: Ward caught two touchdowns for the first time in 27 games, the second coming when he caught a quick 5-yard pass and leaped over S Michael Griffin into the end zone to make it 28-3.

INSIDE THE NUMBERS

10 - Number of touchdown passes of 40 yards or longer from Ben Roethlisberger to Mike Wallace after they combined for a 40-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. Wallace also has TD catches of 46 and 41 yards from Charlie Batch.

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

It was coach Mike Tomlin who called for the fake punt on fourth-and-5 at the 50, with the Steelers leading, 7-3. And the play worked to perfection when P Daniel Sepulveda threw a 33-yard pass to S Ryan Mundy that, two plays later, resulted in Roethlisberger's 7-yard TD to Hines Ward on a great play-fake. "It was big, it really sparked us," said special teams coach Al Everest. "The big thing is we capitalized on it. You create a spark and see if it catches fire or just blows out."

OVERHEARD

"No, never. I don't tell him that. I tell him play football the way you play because nobody in the league plays it better than you the first eight years. ... Why would you change how you play just because other people think you get sacked too much?"

-- Bruce Arians, offensive coordinator, on whether he told Ben Roethlisberger to change his style

SUNDAY'S OPPONENT

vs. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS, 1 P.M.: The Steelers (3-2) take on their fourth consecutive AFC South team when they play Jacksonville (1-4) at 1 p.m. Sunday at Heinz Field. The Jaguars are 3-0 at Heinz Field, having won four of the past five in Pittsburgh.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11283/11 ... z1aOv8DHVe (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11283/1181027-66-0.stm#ixzz1aOv8DHVe)

feltdizz
10-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Have you not Seen Brady or Manning when the protection is not there - they are not so Elite.. in fact they outright suck when you get them moving. How about Breeze or Rivers. When the rush is getting back there those guys look mortal at best.

Bottom line is You Dont look Elite when your Center is hiking defensive Linemen into your mouth every other snap...

When you get rid of the ball quickly there is this thing called an illusion of protection. Later in the game the D backs off because of those quick passes and the OL looks even better.

Don't be fooled... if we go back to 5 and 7 step drops and Ben looks for the HR when it's not there the OL will look awful.

Blitz-en
10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
My two cents:

Ben has evolved into what he thinks makes him successful in this league. He extends plays, passes up viable options to look for "tastier" options. He often, this can be see on film, passes up on a 7 to 15 yard pass play to look for deep quick hits down the field. Yesterday, he was limited, and he knew it. He could not possibly scramble around with his foot, so he had to get it to the first available option. Amazingly, once he hit his receivers, they did some of the work for him.

I'm a Ben supporter. But, everyone, even superstars, can learn something. This is a guy that bounced his head off the concrete, has been involved with two ugly scandals. We, as fans, must be honest and understand that he does not learn quickly, some of life's important lessons. Love the guy as the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And, some of what makes him frustrating to us, also makes him great on the field. But, a stronger O.C. that had Ben's best interest in mind, along with the team, would really pound home the lessons of watching film, fixing something in your game each off-season, and figuring out what teams find as your weakness and changing it. Brady and Rodgers are the absolute best at taking what is available.......all the way down the field, every time. As defenses tighten up to the line of scrimmage, down the field plays become available. It's patience, perseverance and smart.

I hope Ben has learned from his big TD numbers this week. But, I honestly think it takes more for this guy to really get things like this.

Of course, the straight ahead, rugged, running style of Redman, behind a suspect line helped make the run an actual threat this week, too. This can never hurt the passing game.

williar
10-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Doesn't the OL look a whole lot better when your QB is not holding on to the ball, and staying in the pocket taking what the defense gives him?

chiken
10-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Doesn't the OL look a whole lot better when your QB is not holding on to the ball, and staying in the pocket taking what the defense gives him?

Yes, but lets take the Ravens game this year. First Drive Ben was trying to get rid of the ball earlier - But Brown didnt pick up the hot route a couple times.. and then the line starts being destroyed, Ben Starts to hold waiting for something - he gets killed.. 2 seconds in the pocket/ O blitze recoginition/ o running game and defense starts us off -7.... Ben just starts doing what he can..

the point is he was trying to get rid of it in the begining - no sucess because the line was not holding.

In this last game - I saw Ben with 4-5 seconds in the pocket.. I saw more than on occassion the backs looping around and picking up blitzers. It was NIGHT and DAY.. There was an actual running Game to hold the blitz at times. in the Ravens game especially Ben had less than 3 seconds to find anything.

In the Colts game We were being killed again by both Freeny and the other Cat on the other side. Heck We saw blockers being picked up and rammed back into Ben and when that wasnt happening the guys were jusut wiffing.

in the houston Game it was Mario..

In this game it looked like they were holding the pocket, picking up blitzers, hot routes were opening and the running game was in full effect.

We all know that if this game had started in the same way - missed Routes, no running game - Ben was going to hold the ball. Thats who he is. He will always do whatever he can.

NJ-STEELER
10-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Yes, but lets take the Ravens game this year. First Drive Ben was trying to get rid of the ball earlier - But Brown didnt pick up the hot route a couple times.. and then the line starts being destroyed, Ben Starts to hold waiting for something - he gets killed.. 2 seconds in the pocket/ O blitze recoginition/ o running game and defense starts us off -7.... Ben just starts doing what he can..

the point is he was trying to get rid of it in the begining - no sucess because the line was not holding.

In this last game - I saw Ben with 4-5 seconds in the pocket.. I saw more than on occassion the backs looping around and picking up blitzers. It was NIGHT and DAY.. There was an actual running Game to hold the blitz at times. in the Ravens game especially Ben had less than 3 seconds to find anything.

In the Colts game We were being killed again by both Freeny and the other Cat on the other side. Heck We saw blockers being picked up and rammed back into Ben and when that wasnt happening the guys were jusut wiffing.

in the houston Game it was Mario..

In this game it looked like they were holding the pocket, picking up blitzers, hot routes were opening and the running game was in full effect.

We all know that if this game had started in the same way - missed Routes, no running game - Ben was going to hold the ball. Thats who he is. He will always do whatever he can.

wasnt only mario.

the RDE beat essux 5-6 times with a simple rip move to get into ben's face within a second of the snap. (someone on espn broke it down)

how do you set up for any pass when the DE is in your face right away

BURGH86STEEL
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM

there will be times when the OL needs to block for more then a 3 step drop.

defenses we play will also adjust to it. and when they do it, the OL will need to block for a 5/7 step drop to make them pay for it and hit them with a deep ball.

just because they went incomplete (for one reason or another) doesnt mean we didnt try to adjust... and thats not to say Ben wasnt at fault for some of them

It's wasn't just the 3 step drops. It was the good, quick decision making with accurate ball placement. It's very difficult to defend good, quick decision making with accuracy. I rewatched some of the game and the Titans were coming. They beat some of the linemen on several plays. There were times when free rushers had opportunities. It would had looked as ugly as some other games if Ben held the ball a second longer. It also appeared that Ben kept his eyes down the field as opposed to peaking at the pass rush. It seems that when Ben peaks at the rush he wants to break the pocket and make something happen.

NJ-STEELER
10-11-2011, 07:38 PM
i remember some free rushers coming from outside the tackles.

what i was referring to is free rushers coming from within...basically beating one of OLs and thus getting in ben's right after the snap.

Djfan
10-11-2011, 07:51 PM

what i was referring to is free rushers coming from within...basically beating one of OLs and thus getting in ben's right after the snap.

I saw that too, but since he threw it quickly much more often this last week, those rushers were non factors.

feltdizz
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I think it was a combination of things but it all comes down to the QB. If Ben tries to extend a play early on or make something happen and it results in another fumble it would've been another ugly game. We've seen Ben work magic but this year his whodini act wasn't working and he had the fumbles, sacks, broken foot and INT's to prove it.

I hate to go down this road but a few things are clear. Mendenhall dancing with the stars puts our passing game in jeopardy. It's no surprise to anyone except Mendenhalls agent that Redman would move the chains better than Mend. Mend can help our team but he needs to get his head in the game.

There is something odd when you have 5 or 6 starters injured and your team plays better. It's obvious to me we have some players who shouldn't be starting. Smith, Hampton, Kemo and even Mendenhall need to take a back seat another week so we can see if our team has found a formula that works.

I know Mend will get another shotto prove himself but I really think our OL is set up for a North South runner like Redman. There were 4 or 5 runs that stood out and none of them gained more than 4 yards. Each one of these runs would have been 3 yard losses with Mendenhall. I would much rather see Redman early with Mendenhall coming off the bench. I could see Mendenhall putting up huge numbers like Dwyer did on limited touches after Redman wears down the D.

feltdizz
10-11-2011, 08:27 PM

I saw that too, but since he threw it quickly much more often this last week, those rushers were non factors.

Non factors... I love it. Plenty of fans have said the quick release makes an OL look better...

How does the worst OL we have ever seen look so good in 7 days? Max must be a healer or a guru.

fordfixer
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Kovacevic: Big Ben embodies team resolve

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Kova ... e-75707040 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Kovacevic-Big-Ben-embodies-team-resolve-75707040)

Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Tribune Review

Updated Oct 11, 2011 12:29 AM ET

Through four games, I'd begun to think the Steelers' only viable option to preserve Ben Roethlisberger was to freeze him. You know, cryogenics. Store him away and save him for some other day, when he wouldn't be limping for his life on a sprained foot.

But for this one day, this 38-17 bounce-back body slam of the Tennessee Titans on a pristine Sunday at Heinz Field, a few other less creative options were unearthed.

Like, oh, blocking.

And executing plays quickly.

And having receivers work their routes correctly.

And establishing an honest-to-Franco running game.

And trying just about every reverse, play-action pass and fake punt in offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' playbook.

Funny how this works, but that sudden burst of competence helped Roethlisberger complete 24 of 34 passes for 228 yards and five touchdowns ? second time in his career, one more than Terry Bradshaw ? despite mobility that ranged somewhere between Kent Graham and the Mister Rogers monument. The sprained left foot had Roethlisberger limping before, during and after the game, but he held the pocket and, to borrow wide receiver Hines Ward's description, "played his tail off for us out there."

No one should dispute it or downplay it. But the hard truth is, neither the Steelers nor Roethlisberger had a choice. Someone needed to erase the stink of Houston, to avoid the amplifying doubts that would follow a 2-3 start. Someone needed to breathe life back into a franchise that surely was asking questions of itself that a lot of us had been asking for weeks.

Only one player on this roster has the singular ability to change that. Roethlisberger needed to step up, even if it was just on one foot.

"I just don't want to let my guys down," he said afterward. "I want to give them my best. I'll be there until they take me off on a cart, which has happened before. I want to put this team and this offense in the best position to win football games."

The best position, as Roethlisberger saw it, was to play without limitation.

I asked Arians if he had adjusted his playcalling in any way to compensate for the foot injury, and Arians swore that "not one thing" was changed. Earlier in the week, Arians went over play after play with his quarterback to check if he could run it, and Roethlisberger nodded with each. Before the game yesterday, recognizing a brick wall when he saw one, Arians told Roethlisberger: "Play football the way you know how. Don't change who you are just because people think you'll get sacked."

So it was that Roethlisberger shrugged off two game-opening incompletions by nailing his next four passes. The last was an 8-yard touchdown to tight end Heath Miller that pierced right between the 8 and the 3.

He was 3 of 4 on the next drive, capped by a 7-yard touchdown to Ward.

On the third drive, he handed off to Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer repeatedly to get to the Tennessee 1. Once there, he and Arians turned to one of those plays that had been a concern to Arians, a rollout to the right. Roethlisberger ran across to fire a touchdown to tight end David Johnson, then slowly limped to the Steelers' sideline, which conveniently was in the same direction. He hunched over in clear agony.

"Ben said he could do it," Arians said. "You saw that he could."

Anyone still think Roethlisberger is faking or milking these things?

The man was sacked 14 times through four games, hit 21 other times, crushed from the blind side at least four times, had his right knee bent sideways by a cheap shot, and still suited up Sunday.

What more does the irrational faction of his critics want?

There was credit to go around: Redman and Dwyer battled far harder for their yards than Rashard Mendenhall had been doing. LaMarr Woodley finally showed up. Nose tackle Chris Hoke was receiving raves for his work as Casey Hampton's substitute. Troy Polamalu was ablaze. And the offensive line, led by Maurkice Pouncey back in Pro Bowl form and Max Starks back in the fold, was stunningly solid. Roethlisberger was sacked once.

Was it all real?

Let's wait and see. For this one day, linebacker Lawrence Timmons summed it up best when asked about all of the injuries: "We are the Pittsburgh Steelers. We're a tough team."

Let me take that to a different level: Ben Roethlisberger is the Pittsburgh Steelers, and he's never been tougher.

hawaiiansteel
10-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Formula for success was dink, dunk, win

10/10/2011
F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - When the Steelers opened training camp at Saint Vincent College, the offense they envisioned looked a lot like the one they employed Sunday in a 38-17 dismantling of the Tennessee Titans.

Eight different players caught passes.

The running game produced 174 yards.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was an efficient 24 of 34 for 228 yards and five touchdowns, getting sacked only one time.

It happened to be the first time we saw a big offensive output for the Steelers, who struggled to score in the season's first month.

Chicks might dig the long ball, but it wasn't adding up to many wins for the Steelers.

Wide receiver Mike Wallace was off to a strong start, with 25 catches for 454 yards and two touchdowns in the first four games. But the high-risk, high-reward style wasn't getting the Steelers many points and was getting Roethlisberger beaten up along the way.

With Roethlisberger playing through a sprained left foot, and starting running back Rashard Mendenhall sidelined with a hamstring injury, the Steelers changed their offensive focus.

In short, they became more patient.

"(The Titans) played a lot of cover-2 and when they play cover-2, you should be able to run the ball effectively," said wide receiver Hines Ward, who led the Steelers with seven receptions for 54 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

"At the same time, it should open up things in the underneath coverage. That's where the ball is supposed to go. That's what we have to do. We have to be balanced like that. If teams are going to play cover-2 and take away the deep ball, we have to be patient and keep dinking and dunking and control the ball. We did a good job of that."

Roethlisberger admitted that he adjusted his game, trying not look for the deep pass, instead taking what the Titans gave him.

"I tried to approach this game ... mainly not to go for the home run every play," Roethlisberger said. "Sometimes we don't have a choice. The play is called for everyone to go deep, and we aren't left with any underneath stuff. Today, I just tried getting some of the underneath stuff and taking what the defense gave us. I tried not to hold onto it and make too big of plays. I think it worked well."

It was a big step for Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

While the Steelers have plenty of talent at the skill positions, they aren't as blessed on the offensive line, though the addition of Max Starks at left tackle seemed to help.

With the speed of Wallace and Antonio Brown, it might be tempting to constantly look for passes 25-plus yards downfield. But those plays require time to develop and Roethlisberger hasn't been getting much time.

Perhaps Roethlisberger's injury forced the Steelers to adjust to something that will work more often.

And they were still able to take a shot deep, such as in the fourth quarter when Roethlisberger connected with Wallace for a 40-yard TD after the Titans' defense had been softened.

"We're still growing offensively," said Ward. "It feels good to play a great team and be as efficient as we were and help the defense out. We're still searching for our identity and who we want to be, but it feels good to be able to run the ball the way we did and have everybody contribute in the passing game."

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sto ... ans-column (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/story11/10-10-2011-Steelers-Titans-column)