PDA

View Full Version : Marino says Bruce Ariens needs to change

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-09-2011, 12:37 PM
... needs to change how he calls the game.

He got talked over after that, but I thought that it was interesting that it's not only insane Steeler Nation citizens that feel that way.

Oh, and Coach Cowher said he thought the Steelers could turn it around this year! :tt2 :tt1

Steelers>NFL
10-09-2011, 03:02 PM

He got talked over after that, but I thought that it was interesting that it's not only insane Steeler Nation citizens that feel that way.

Oh, and Coach Cowher said he thought the Steelers could turn it around this year! :tt2 :tt1

Oh, and Skip Bayless still ranks the Steelers as 4th best team in the AFC. Even ahead ot teams with better record.

Also, Dan Marino is RIGHT!

DukieBoy
10-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Oh, and Skip Bayless still ranks the Steelers as 4th best team in the AFC. Even ahead ot teams with better record.

Also, Dan Marino is RIGHT!

Yup.

And liked what I saw today in some short passing game with 3-step drops, and the run game -- nice. Also thought Max helped but also not Kemo to passblock like a pylon.

Kemo is a one-trick pony --- very good when he pulls and goes on the aggressive search and destroy mission, but a liablity otherwise. I'd liketo see what he could do if they would put him in the I as a lead blocker. Otherwise, The Big Legursky gives us better pass pro and decent-enough run blocking. My OT :2c

Iron Shiek
10-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah, on the radio broadcast, they were keeping listeners updated frequently on the count of plays that were 3 step drops, quick slants etc, and it was definitely a change in the attack. Arians seems to do this every couple of games just to get some praise from us, but then screws up then next couple games. Lets see how he responds next game, i say keep it up as long as matchups are favorable. gotta take the game out of the OL's hands, they were killing us in our losses.

Flasteel
10-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I can't stand BA, but I thought he called a great game today. We took a lot of stuff underneath and got the ball out quick. We had a couple of misdirection plays, a screen and a draw, but I thought the the balance and timing of our run-pass selection was simply superb.

I'll give credit when it's due and BA...this beer's for YOU! :tt2

Djfan
10-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I can't stand BA, but I thought he called a great game today. We took a lot of stuff underneath and got the ball out quick. We had a couple of misdirection plays, a screen and a draw, but I thought the the balance and timing of our run-pass selection was simply superb.

I'll give credit when it's due and BA...this beer's for YOU! :tt2

+1.

That was hard to admit. I think I threw up in the back of my throat a little bit there.

SidSmythe
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Ben got rid of the ball quickly ... good game plan. No more backyard football

fezziwig
10-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I agree with all you guys and especially the part about, Arians will go back to his old ways.

The thing is if you give him, the other coaches praise about how he ran things or set up yesterdays game I, can almost tell you their response.

Coaches :> It's all about execution. The players executed the plays well.

My response to that is, no shiit Sherlock, you finally worked to the teams strength and weaknesses and you took away from the defense what they know they can defend against us.
If you have a jail break on our offensive line week after week then, run the freakin ball more, do the three step drops, do run blocking since it is easier and use that loaded talent of backs that we have on this team. And with that Mr. Dumbass Bruce Arians Ben, got to throw 5 touchdown passes against a team that has given up the fewest points in the NFL.

Yesterday was the first time our offense and especially up front didn't look confused, unorgainzed and up to their assses in alligators. Have you ever noticed what a jumbled mess our guys look like once the ball is snapped ? It's kaos !

hawaiiansteel
10-11-2011, 05:05 PM
sounds like Arians did change for this past game, now we'll see how long that lasts...

View From Tennessee: Line play stymied Titans

Monday, October 10, 2011
By John Glennon, Nashville Tennessean

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was limping going into Sunday's game. His starting offensive line was aching -- or absent.

There was every reason to believe the Titans defense -- the same one that sacked Colt McCoy three times last week and stifled Cleveland's running attack -- would be in for a huge afternoon.

But the Titans never managed to take advantage of Roethlisberger's limited mobility, nor the patchwork offensive line in front of him.

Instead, it was the Steelers offensive line that dominated the trenches, helping Pittsburgh running backs produce 174 yards and protecting Roethlisberger so well that he was sacked just once.

"We should have been able to take advantage," Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said. "We should have done what everybody else has done [to the Steelers]. It didn't happen today. Like I say, it's my fault. Obviously we didn't execute the plan. Don't look no further than me."

Roethlisberger had been mauled last week, sacked five times and hit eight times in a loss to the Texans.

It didn't appear things would get much better this week. The Steelers were without starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu. Starting left tackle Jonathan Scott was limited by injury, and the man who was expected to see most of the action in his place -- Max Starks -- had just been re-signed Wednesday.

For good measure, the Steelers suffered two more injuries to starting offensive linemen during the game. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert aggravated a shoulder injury and missed a large chunk of the contest, while center Maurkice Pouncey missed at least a series with a knee injury.

But the Titans hardly sniffed the gimpy Roethlisberger, touching him only once -- on Jurrell Casey's sack.

One reason Big Ben stayed safe: he surprised the Titans.

"He was doing a lot of little three-step, dink-and-dunk passes," defensive end Derrick Morgan said. "I don't think anybody expected it. We didn't really know the extent of his injury, and we were expecting him to be scrambling around and extending plays like usual, putting lot of stress on the secondary. But he was just staying in the pocket with those quick three-step and five-step drops. It was frustrating."

The fact that the Steelers were able to have so much success on the ground might have been even more surprising. They entered the game ranked 20th in rushing, and starting running back Rashard Mendenhall did not play because of a hamstring injury.

But the makeshift line opened huge holes for third- and fourth-stringers Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer, who accounted for 156 yards on the ground.

"Their run game didn't change a bit from last year," Gray said. "All they do is ... run into the gaps and let the running back find the hole. If you're not disciplined enough, you're going to run out of your gap, and that's what happened."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11283/11 ... z1aVAfIp7T (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11283/1181010-66.stm#ixzz1aVAfIp7T)