PDA

View Full Version : Starks expected to start Sunday for Steelers

TD386Steel
10-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Veteran offensive lineman Max Starks, who has three practices under his belt after being signed off the street Tuesday, expects to be in the starting lineup Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.

Starks, who missed the second half of last season with a neck injury, would replace Jonathan Scott at left tackle.

Starks, who last suited up Nov. 8 against Cincinnati, said he took the majority of repetitions in practice this week. Scott missed last week's game against Houston with an ankle injury, but participated in practices this week.

"I think it's been a good week," Starks said following Friday's practice. "I think I will have a shot of running with the [starters]. A game versus a practice is a little bit different, a little more energy. We'll monitor it as the game goes on, monitor snaps. We may do some things to make sure I'm fully acclimated, so I'm not getting thrown completely into the fire."

The Steelers offensive line has struggled to open running lanes for running back Rashard Mendenhall and protect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the first four games. Starks, the Steelers' third-round draft choice in 2004, feels confident he can help the depleted line.

"My energy has felt consistent," he said. "My soreness factor has gone up. That was to be expected, two back-to-back padded practices after 11 months off. I responded better than I thought I would. My body feels sore, but nothing I'm not used to."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11280/11 ... z1a7Z3QPky (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11280/1180421-100.stm#ixzz1a7Z3QPky)

BigRob
10-07-2011, 02:59 PM
I would be curious to know how Starks graded out until he got hurt last year. Was he servicable?

focosteeler
10-07-2011, 03:09 PM
The fact that he can come in off the street and start shows what a joke the majority of our O line is...hopefully he shines and does a great job

Northern_Blitz
10-07-2011, 04:09 PM
The fact that he can come in off the street and start shows what a joke the majority of our O line is...hopefully he shines and does a great job

I think its more a comment on how injured our tackles are (again).

fordfixer
10-08-2011, 01:44 AM
3 questions with…

October 5th, 2011
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... ions-with/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/10/05/3-questions-with/)

Offensive tackle Max Starks, who re-signed with the Steelers Wednesday morning:

Q: You’ve been released, benched, started for two Super Bowl-winning teams and are now back. Can you talk about your time with the Steelers?
A: “It’s the circle of life. I’ve definitely run the full gamut of NFL experience. Not as exciting as I thought I was going to be. As with life I’ve gotten to see every aspect of it, and it’s a learning tool. When I got released I took it as another learning opportunity. I wasn’t bitter. I didn’t sit in the corner and cry woe is me or be bitter when I was walking around the city. I just went out to Arizona and started doing the same training regimen I normally would do and it felt good.”

Q: What have you seen from watching the Steelers’ first four games when it comes to the offense line?
A: “Communication is probably one of the things, getting that continuity. As with anything else, you usually build that over the OTA time and then going into came so you have a little bit of a foundation to build and move forward. And the change in the training camp schedule didn’t allow for that, to have all of those padded practices to go through those tough days and push through as a group. I think that kind of threw things off kilter with the bonding experience. With anything the offensive line has to be on the same page. I always preach it and any run block, pass protect, sustained drives, keep the defense fresh — those all stem from the offensive line so it’s a big thing that we have the chemistry within that group.”

Q: Did you see any pictures of Ben wearing your jersey one day at training camp?
A: “I kind of had blurry vision (laughing). It was very touching, to use a soft word in the locker room full of men. You kind of felt proud to know that your work was appreciated. We’ve been here together since Day One, and it was cool to see a friend do that.”

Shoe
10-08-2011, 09:28 PM
While I guess I'm happy to see this change (truth is, just happy to see ANY change), I'm certainly not like a lot of others here who seem to harken to some unknown days where this guy was anything to write home about. During his tenure, at best, we were an average offensive line. Actually, that first SB year we were a good, solid OL with Hartings, Faneca & company. In that line though, he was certainly the young buck who much wasn't expected. At every point after when he was one of "the veterans", we have alternated between a leaky bucket to a sieve.