PDA

View Full Version : New 2012 NFL Mock Draft

DFlo
10-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey guys, I've updated my mock draft to reflect the standings so far this season.

You can check it out here: http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/MockDraft2012.html

I fixed some of the backgrounds to make the text more readable so let me know if you can't read any.

Also I would love to hear your feedback!

Dee Dub
10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Nice site DFlo. Here's my opinion which doesnt necessary mean it is right but here goes..

I dont think there is any chance Matt Barkley is drafted ahead of Landry Jones. Jones has better size, better arm strength, and is more of a prototypical NFL pocket passer. I've seen all of Matt Barkley's games and agree he is a top 10 pick but he doesnt have the arm strength as Jones or Luck. Now I am not saying it is bad but it isnt in the class of those two.

I think you have Brandon Thompson DT/NT too low. He is a major force and gets over shadowed on the Clemson team by his teammate Andre Branch.

And I think you shouldnt have those two Ohio State lineman in the first round. If Peter Konz of Wisconsin declares he is the only legit first round center in this draft.

Also, I love Vontaze Burfict but dont see him going as a top 10 pick. If you are an ILB you better have some off the chart physical skills and be able to woo the scouts at the combine and I dont think that is the case for Burfict. He is going to be a great pro LB but it is rare to see ILB go top 10.

And here is name I think you should get familiar with.....WR Mohamed Sanu. He is a physical specimen who is starting to really develop.

But other than that great job. :D

grotonsteel
10-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Nice Site DFLo. I like it.

I have not seen most of the players play so can't comment on them but i will keep an eye on all the players going forward.

As far as Steelers drafting an OT in Rd 1 of 2012 draft i have my reservations about it.

Willie Colon and Gilbert will be the two starting OT and if Max Starks can show he can play he may play as a backup or a starter.

Steelers have their 2012 OTs on roster unless Willie Colon has not recovered from his injury.

If Steelers are drafting that high i would not mind a ball-hawk Safety or a D-lineman in the mould of Ngata.

steeler_george
10-07-2011, 02:11 PM
This trend might not be 100% true, but i see a trend that they rotate from o to d in the first round. So it might be the o's turn.

I As far as Steelers drafting an OT in Rd 1 of 2012 draft i have my reservations about it.

Willie Colon and Gilbert will be the two starting OT and if Max Starks can show he can play he may play as a backup or a starter.

Steelers have their 2012 OTs on roster unless Willie Colon has not recovered from his injury.

If Steelers are drafting that high i would not mind a ball-hawk Safety or a D-lineman in the mould of Ngata.

I love for them to select a NT, to sure up our DL along side Hood and Heyward. Would be funny if they draft someone with the letter "H".

But I think they desperatley need to find a young LB stud to eventual step in the place of Harrsion, Farrior, Foote. The jury is still out on Worilds and Sly. We are lacking in depth there this year and only will get worse next year. Time to get younger on the D side of the ball.

Dee Dub
10-07-2011, 02:35 PM

I have not seen most of the players play so can't comment on them but i will keep an eye on all the players going forward.

As far as Steelers drafting an OT in Rd 1 of 2012 draft i have my reservations about it.

I dont think you can count on Willie Colon who has pretty much missed the last two seasons.

I think a great pick for the Steeler would be Cordy Glenn who is showing he can play both T and G. Put him inside at Kemo's spot next to Pouncey and you have two perennial pro-bowlers inside.

For what it's worth the OT from Stanford that DFlo is projecting to the Steelers would be a great pick. I think he is the most well-rounded tackle in the draft. He can pass block and is solid in run blocking.

Dee Dub
10-07-2011, 02:38 PM
This trend might not be 100% true, but i see a trend that they rotate from o to d in the first round. So it might be the o's turn.

I As far as Steelers drafting an OT in Rd 1 of 2012 draft i have my reservations about it.

I love for them to select a NT, to sure up our DL along side Hood and Heyward. Would be funny if they draft someone with the letter "H".

But I think they desperatley need to find a young LB stud to eventual step in the place of Harrsion, Farrior, Foote. The jury is still out on Worilds and Sly. We are lacking in depth there this year and only will get worse next year. Time to get younger on the D side of the ball.

I like it!!! I would be very pleased with NT Brandon Thompson of Clemson. I know SKL likes him too.

Hood, Thompson, and Heyward would be very nice.

Now on the ILB thing...maybe they take a flyer on Aaron Curry in the off season?

StarSpangledSteeler
10-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't know how any rational human being can look at our current roster and not see that OL is our top priority.

We need serious serious serious upgrades in OL talent (IMMEDIATELY) or our $100 million QB is going to be out of the league. I'm talking one OT and one OG within the first three rounds. Colon cannot be relied upon to stay healthy next year. If we have a chance to grab a franchise LT (like Martin) in the middle of the first round we have to take it. Gilbert does not look like he has the speed to handle the left side. But even if he did that is not our biggest problem. Our biggest problem is that we need a guard (possibly two guards) who can pass block and road grade against NFL caliber DT's. You don't find those in the later rounds very often (And we all know the Steelers have tried).

The NFL is a passing league. We don't need to blow early round picks on a NT and ILB, we need to SCORE POINTS. If we draft OL early, we will see immediate results in our passing game (any early round OL should start immediately over our current scrubs. Just like Pouncey did and now Gilbert is doing). But the other benefit is bigger holes in the running game. That also gives us better time of possession which helps our defense.

We can pick up a veteran free agent ILB or NT to fill those gaps relatively cheaply. Even our secondary is holding their own for now with young talent developing on the horizon. Our OL has very little talent. And no hope on the horizon.

steelerkeylargo
10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Nice site DFlo. Here's my opinion which doesnt necessary mean it is right but here goes..

I dont think there is any chance Matt Barkley is drafted ahead of Landry Jones. Jones has better size, better arm strength, and is more of a prototypical NFL pocket passer. I've seen all of Matt Barkley's games and agree he is a top 10 pick but he doesnt have the arm strength as Jones or Luck. Now I am not saying it is bad but it isnt in the class of those two.

I think you have Brandon Thompson DT/NT too low. He is a major force and gets over shadowed on the Clemson team by his teammate Andre Branch.

And I think you shouldnt have those two Ohio State lineman in the first round. If Peter Konz of Wisconsin declares he is the only legit first round center in this draft.

Also, I love Vontaze Burfict but dont see him going as a top 10 pick. If you are an ILB you better have some off the chart physical skills and be able to woo the scouts at the combine and I dont think that is the case for Burfict. He is going to be a great pro LB but it is rare to see ILB go top 10.

And here is name I think you should get familiar with.....WR Mohamed Sanu. He is a physical specimen who is starting to really develop.

But other than that great job. :D

I can't believe I am saying this but, I actually agree with everyhthing Dee Dub says here. :Cheers I would also say that Riley Reiff and Jared Crick will drop. Neither is living up to the hype. I don't see Lamar Miller as a first round back. At this point I think Doug Martin of Boise is a 1st round talent.

Dee Dub
10-07-2011, 04:23 PM
SKL what are you hearing about Alshon Jeffery's stock droppin? Some are pointing out that his lack of production is because of Stephen Garcia's inconsistency but that is the same dude who was chuckin the rock at Jeffrey last year and I think he had like 88 receptions. Are we seeing another Mike Williams here? Weight issues? Head case? It's a shame because he is a very talented receiver.

Dee Dub
10-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't know how any rational human being can look at our current roster and not see that OL is our top priority.

We need serious serious serious upgrades in OL talent (IMMEDIATELY) or our $100 million QB is going to be out of the league. I'm talking one OT and one OG within the first three rounds. Colon cannot be relied upon to stay healthy next year. If we have a chance to grab a franchise LT (like Martin) in the middle of the first round we have to take it. Gilbert does not look like he has the speed to handle the left side. But even if he did that is not our biggest problem. Our biggest problem is that we need a guard (possibly two guards) who can pass block and road grade against NFL caliber DT's. You don't find those in the later rounds very often (And we all know the Steelers have tried).

The NFL is a passing league. We don't need to blow early round picks on a NT and ILB, we need to SCORE POINTS. If we draft OL early, we will see immediate results in our passing game (any early round OL should start immediately over our current scrubs. Just like Pouncey did and now Gilbert is doing). But the other benefit is bigger holes in the running game. That also gives us better time of possession which helps our defense.

We can pick up a veteran free agent ILB or NT to fill those gaps relatively cheaply. Even our secondary is holding their own for now with young talent developing on the horizon. Our OL has very little talent. And no hope on the horizon.

Well if you are referring to me then my thought is always get best player on the board who also fits a need. NT falls under that. As well as ILB. I personally want OT/OG Cordy Glenn but I would also be very pleased with NT Brandon Thompson. I think he is the NT that the Steelers defense needs. One who plugs two gaps and is very disruptive inside. High motor too.

I do not want the Steelers reaching for an O-lineman just because it is their biggest need. I think the Steelers are looking at a high draft pick in 2012 and I think we need to hit a home run with it not a double.

StarSpangledSteeler
10-07-2011, 10:35 PM

Well if you are referring to me then my thought is always get best player on the board who also fits a need. NT falls under that. As well as ILB. I personally want OT/OG Cordy Glenn but I would also be very pleased with NT Brandon Thompson. I think he is the NT that the Steelers defense needs. One who plugs two gaps and is very disruptive inside. High motor too.

I do not want the Steelers reaching for an O-lineman just because it is their biggest need. I think the Steelers are looking at a high draft pick in 2012 and I think we need to hit a home run with it not a double.

First of all, don't get me wrong, I would love to add a 1st round NT like Thompson or a 1st round ILB like Burflict. But I don't know that either of those would qualify as BPA. If there is a legitimate franchise left tackle still on the board in the mid-first that IS the BPA. That position holds higher value than ILB and NT (unless their names are Willis or Suh, respectively).

Burflict has some emotional control issues, which can sometimes disrupt a locker room. Thompson is a little bit light to be an anchor NT aginst the run in our particular 3-4 scheme. It's not like either one is a can't miss. I know we disagree on Cordy Glenn. i wouldn't hate him. I just don't think he's a mid-late 1st rounder. As of now most of the mock drafts disagree on him as well, varying from 1st to 3rd round.

steelerkeylargo
10-08-2011, 11:33 AM
SKL what are you hearing about Alshon Jeffery's stock droppin? Some are pointing out that his lack of production is because of Stephen Garcia's inconsistency but that is the same dude who was chuckin the rock at Jeffrey last year and I think he had like 88 receptions. Are we seeing another Mike Williams here? Weight issues? Head case? It's a shame because he is a very talented receiver.

The S.C. offense is a mess. Spurrier has effed up the QB situation so badly. Tori Gurley is gone so now D's just double Jeffery all day long. The kid has so much talent I don't see him slipping out of the top half of the draft.

steelblood
10-08-2011, 02:11 PM
I agree with SKL on Martin from Stanford. I think He and Kalil will go in the top 10 picks for sure, probably top 5 or 6. Reiff will drop. I believe he'll go in the 20s.

focosteeler
10-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Anyone have thoughts on Lavonte David?

DFlo
10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the comments/feedback guys.

I haven't seen much of David yet, but I did hear from the guys at Ourlads and they seem to love him. More so than Zach Brown. More a WLB than anything.

Also, just as an FYI, I'm going to be updating this mock draft every 4 weeks. Hope you guys enjoyed this one!

steelz09
10-11-2011, 03:27 PM

The S.C. offense is a mess. Spurrier has effed up the QB situation so badly. Tori Gurley is gone so now D's just double Jeffery all day long. The kid has so much talent I don't see him slipping out of the top half of the draft.

The offense w/ the exception of Lattimore who is insane. Jeffery's problem is that fact that Garcia absolutely sucks.

birtikidis
10-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Well SC doesn't have to worry about Garcia sucking anymore... He's been dismissed from the team.

I'll keep beating the Guard drum as long as I can. We need one desperately. I could see a NT as the pick too bc that's our 2nd biggest need.

steelerkeylargo
10-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Here is my Steeler Mock wish list

1) Cordy Glenn-OG-Georgia excellent power and size, solid footwork but is a tad slow. The way the Steelers lik to pull the left guard Glenn will have to work on his footspeed a bit. No doubt in my mind he could be the starting RG from day one as a rookie for the next 10 years.

2) Zebrie Sanders-OT-FSU has the size the Steelers love. Good overall athlete and is best suited as a RT. Struggles a bit with the speed rush but shows ability to be stout and anchor vs. the bull rush. Good on the second level.

3) Jamell Flemming-CB-Oklahoma only average size and speed but has good cover skills and is a fantastic tackler. Something the Steelers put a premium on for their DB's.

4) Vick Ballard-RB-Miss. St.- powerful back who catches the ball extremely well. Is a bigger version of Mike Tolbert. A very powerful runner.

5) Don Barclay-OL-WVU- the Mountaineers starting LT the past 2 seasons Barclay is probably best suited at RT or a move inside. His ability to play multiple line spots is a huge plus.

6) Max Gruder-ILB-Pitt A local product. Hard nosed kid who can sit behind Timmons and Sylvestor play teams and learn.

7) Derek Moye-WR-Penn St. Another local product who can step in to the 4th or 5th WR spot if Hines and Battle move on. Big target with sneaky speed.

hawaiiansteel
10-15-2011, 02:57 AM
http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/steelersb_logo.gif

Pittsburgh Steelers: Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

Even though the Steelers don't appear to have many needs, they are one of the oldest teams in the NFL. As Emmitt Smith might say, Casey Hampton is getting long in the mouth.

Alameda Ta'amu (6-3, 330) was a tough run stuffer as a junior. He recorded 39 tackles with five tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks. In his second year as a starter, Ta'amu was an All-Pac-10 honorable mention. He is a powerful force at the point of attack. This year, Ta'amu has 13 tackles and a sack in the first five games. It wouldn't be surprising if he climbs draft boards in the same way that Phil Taylor did last year. Ta'amu is perfect to play the nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie_1.php

steelerkeylargo
10-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Even though the Steelers don't appear to have many needs, they are one of the oldest teams in the NFL. As Emmitt Smith might say, Casey Hampton is getting long in the mouth.

Alameda Ta'amu (6-3, 330) was a tough run stuffer as a junior. He recorded 39 tackles with five tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks. In his second year as a starter, Ta'amu was an All-Pac-10 honorable mention. He is a powerful force at the point of attack. This year, Ta'amu has 13 tackles and a sack in the first five games. It wouldn't be surprising if he climbs draft boards in the same way that Phil Taylor did last year. Ta'amu is perfect to play the nose tackle in a 3-4 defense.

Please NO. Not before the 3rd round anyway.

grotonsteel
10-16-2011, 10:59 AM
How about OT Mike Adams from The Ohio State. I did not see Illinois game but he had a monster game against Nebraska.

hawaiiansteel
10-17-2011, 03:00 AM

if he's there in the 2nd round I would take him.

Dee Dub
10-19-2011, 12:32 AM

I think what Ta'Amu can do for a 3-4 defense makes it worth taking him in the 1st round. He may not make a lot of plays but offenses have to put two bodies on him.

I'll go with my early wish list for 4 rounds...

1---Cordy Glenn OT/OG
2---T.J. McDonald FS
3---Shane Skov ILB ----he's hurt and probably wont declare but if he does could be great value here.
4---Best blocking FB in all of college football

StarSpangledSteeler
10-19-2011, 03:52 AM

I think what Ta'Amu can do for a 3-4 defense makes it worth taking him in the 1st round. He may not make a lot of plays but offenses have to put two bodies on him.

I'll go with my early wish list for 4 rounds...

1---Cordy Glenn OT/OG
2---T.J. McDonald FS
3---Shane Skov ILB ----he's hurt and probably wont declare but if he does could be great value here.
4---Best blocking FB in all of college football

From the games I watched Ta'Amu is more fat than strong. He doesn't get very low so his leverage is not good. He gets away with that in college but I believe NFL O-Linemen will be able to get under his pads and move him laterally. I also believe if left alone (one-on-one) he does not have the pass rush moves to get to the QB. If you just want a fat body, draft Dontari Poe out of Memphis who runs 6'5" 350 pounds. At least he has long enough arms to get off blocks and just fall on the running back. If you want another Casey Hampton, the kid out of Alabama (Chapman) is a much closer match.