PDA

View Full Version : I beg the question.....

Blitz-en
10-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Is the NFL passing out fines and other forms of discipline so that they can protect the players OR are they only worried about perception and protecting the players which give them the most return on their investment?

- To help you along as you ponder this question, I would like to submit evidence "A":

Mr. James Harrison, the leagues most fined player last year. All fines were supposedly for leading with the head. All fines were for hits on QB's and WR's (if I remember correctly). Mr. Most fined 2010 will now sit out several weeks after breaking his orbital bone near his eye. Video evidence shows clearly that the break occurred when receiving a head shot from the helmet of an offensive lineman from the Houston Texans.

Understanding that the rules clearly state that it is illegal to touch your helmet to the helmet of a thrower or a receiver, I ask the question "why" does this not pertain to any clear headshot? Moreso, I ask, why did they change it from the way it used to be? 3 years ago, a head to head, launch yourself head first to a defenseless receiver, play was illegal. Now, every brush of a helmet to one of these special positional players is an immediate flag and fine.

I call "hypocrisy"!!!!!!! There is so much wrong with the way this whole issue is going.

And, finally, does anybody know if the Houston lineman received a fine? I don't expect it, do you? I'm not crying about the shot, I'm only questioning the hypocrisy of the league. Wait a minute, didn't Pouncey get a flag and fine for making a block before the whistle blew?

dirt
10-06-2011, 07:42 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing only defensive players can get fined for helmet shots in this league. I'd be very surprised is the Houston o-lineman (Brown?) gets fined.

plainnasty
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I am disappointed that people even think that there should be a fine for the hit on Harrison. Harrison wasn't in a defenseless position. And if Duane Brown were fined for this, then every play along the line of scrimmage would result in a fine.

Blitz-en
10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
If you read carefully my point of contention, you'll notice that I don't think there should be a fine for the Houston offensive linemen. I was simply pointing out the irony that the man that was a villian for leading with his head (because of the inhumane act against a QB or WR) was knocked out for a month of the season for a head shot received by an opposing player. Also, Pouncey received a fine (as an offensive linemen) for blocking somebody before the whistle blew. I'd like to say it is one-sided, but then there's Pouncey's fine.

Pahn711
10-07-2011, 10:14 AM
OR are they only worried about perception and protecting the players which give them the most return on their investment?

Yes, the greatest return on investment comes from QBs and wideouts who score the points and make the games exciting. Obviously the league is biased in protecting these guys, thats the bottom line. Defensive players will always get the shaft.

dirt
10-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I am disappointed that people even think that there should be a fine for the hit on Harrison. Harrison wasn't in a defenseless position. And if Duane Brown were fined for this, then every play along the line of scrimmage would result in a fine.

I also didn't say I think there should be a fine for this hit, I just agreed with the original contention that it's hypocritical to fine a defense player for these kinds of hits but not offensive players. If the roles had been reversed and it was Harrison who hit someone like that, he would have been fined.