PDA

View Full Version : If Ben is a wimp

siss
10-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Injuries rarely slow Steelers' Roethlisberger

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 6, 2011
Last updated: 10:28 am

Ben Roethlisberger was hobbling around the Steelers' practice facility Wednesday with a walking boot on his sprained left foot.

Even though he didn't practice and had a noticeable limp when he removed the protective device, Roethlisberger will make his 20th consecutive start Sunday when the Steelers host Tennessee.

Roethlisberger will continue to wear the boot and will likely not practice until later in the week, if at all. He will wear a device to protect his foot similar to the one he used last year against Baltimore — a larger shoe fitted with a metal plate that will prevent the foot from bending, but not help with the discomfort.

"I have dealt with pain before, I have played through broken bones and if it is a pain issue, I can play through it. I'll be fine," Roethlisberger said.

Throughout his career, Roethlisberger has been banged up several times to the point where it was questionable whether he would play in the next game. Nearly every time, Roethlisberger not only has played but come through with winning performances, thus raising questions on the true severity of his injuries.

"I fake it and I'm a wimp," said Roethlisberger when asked why he thrives in situations when he is hurt. "I don't know, I guess it makes you focus that much harder. I guess that's like asking a question of why you do so well in the fourth quarter. ... I don't know if there is an answer."

Read more: Injuries rarely slow Steelers' Roethlisberger - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1a1NW5hTl

If Ben is a wimp, I am a Ravens fan
If Ben is a wimp, I am Mrs. Roethlisberger
If Ben is a wimp, I am good at Math
If Ben is a wimp, I <3 Tom Brady

You guys get the picture!

williar
10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Now, that's encouraging.. :wft :wft

Steelers&gt;NFL
10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I have never questioned his "toughness". Though I do think he over dramatize things sometimes. But you take the good, with the bad. :Beer

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Let us consider that most players would never have returned from his motorcycle accident. Certainly not the very next season, especially after an appendectomy as well a week prior to opening game and he only missed that one game.

One of Ben's biggest problem is that he will never take the time off. He needs coaches who will tell him that he is not permitted to play sometimes when he shouldn't.

feltdizz
10-06-2011, 02:48 PM

A little Brett Favre ish of him. Ben doesn't look good when he doesn't practice. You can see it in his play and his timing. He holds onto the ball even longer when he doesn't get reps in practice.

I don't doubt his toughness but I wouldn't be surprised of he looks just like he did the last few weeks. He could also put up insane numbers... every week I have no idea which guy will show up.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 03:04 PM

He could have ankle to hip casts on both legs and still be more mobile that Charlie Batch.

He could have wrist to shoulder casts on both arms and still throw better than Dennis Dixon.

williar
10-06-2011, 04:57 PM

He could have ankle to hip casts on both legs and still be more mobile that Charlie Batch.

He could have wrist to shoulder casts on both arms and still throw better than Dennis Dixon.

Can I remind you that last year this time, under those exact two QB's we were a much more solid 3-1 playing a much tougher schedule. Nobody was complaining about the OL, the defense, or the running game. There much more harmony surrounding the team. Everyone was so excited and looking forward to more. Ben was at home watching the games on his couch. Those were the good ole days, eh...

williar
10-06-2011, 04:59 PM
And we scored 38 points against Tampa Bay. When do you foresee that ever happening again.

Sugar
10-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Let us consider that most players would never have returned from his motorcycle accident. Certainly not the very next season, especially after an appendectomy as well a week prior to opening game and he only missed that one game.

One of Ben's biggest problem is that he will never take the time off. He needs coaches who will tell him that he is not permitted to play sometimes when he shouldn't.

He reminds me of a fighter that's too tough for his own good. Sometimes the corner has to step in because the fighter will go all out to win and take too much punishment in the process. Fight another day!

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Can I remind you that last year this time, under those exact two QB's we were a much more solid 3-1 playing a much tougher schedule. Nobody was complaining about the OL, the defense, or the running game. There much more harmony surrounding the team. Everyone was so excited and looking forward to more. Ben was at home watching the games on his couch. Those were the good ole days, eh...

Nobody was complaining about those things because, unlike this year, the OL was able to block, the defense was able to take the ball away, and the running game was able to actually run the ball effectively. Why would we be complaining about things that were working? That would be as dumb as someone comparing Ben Roethlisberger to David Carr (and, c'mon...seriously, no one is that dumb, right?).

Against Atlanta, the Dixon-led offense managed 3 FG drives in regulation, before a 50 TD yard run by Mendenhall on our first offensive play of overtime won the game.

Against Tampa, the defense had 7...SEVEN...takeaways, even then the offense could only manage 4 FG's, and two of those FG "drives" were a result of 3-and-out's after the defense gave us the ball in the red zone already (our only TD was a kick return to start the game). Dixon threw for 18 yards before getting hurt and was replaced by Batch, who threw for 25 yards. Through 8 quarters of regulation football in the first two games, Dixon and Batch led our offense on exactly ZERO touchdown drives...that's impressive quarterbacking right there.

Against Tampa, Batch threw the ball up for grabs to Wallace a couple of times, who came down with a couple of 40-something yard TD's, and Batch also threw a 9 yard TD strike to Hines Ward to finish off the only TD drive of the first 3 games that lasted more than 2 plays (an 11 play, 79 yard drive). That was by far the best performance of our passing game in the month Ben was out, but we still managed to run for more yards than we passed anyway (201 vs. 186).

Other than that, those 3 wins were TOTALLY because Dixon and Batch are better options for us at QB than Roethlisberger.