PDA

View Full Version : What is truely to blame

steeler_george
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I am sick of everyone blameing every one including their mothers for our horrible start. It's not Ben holding the ball too long. It's not Mendy tap danceing instead of running hard. It 's not that Woodley who got paid and all of suddenly transformed from modest hard working kid to a lazy bum.

It boils down to:

INJURIES

I know the saying next man up, but when we have to go 3 man deep to fill that spot that hurts. Ask the Colts!

1) Look at our OL, they all have missed games or snaps from injuries. Scott (knee) Leg (shoulder) Pouncey (ankle) Kemo (knee) Colon (IR), add in Gilbert's shoulder and that Essex was only signed after the final preseason game.

2) Now look at our DL, 2 of the 3 starters missed games or snaps. These big boys are paid to take on the blockers to let our " MONEY PLAYERS" the LBers to make the plays. With out them being healthy how are the "MONEY PLAYERS" going to make the plays.

steelblood
10-06-2011, 12:56 PM
So, you are sick of everyone blaming individuals and you choose to blame injuries.

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but it isn't just injuries. Every year we have injuries and that is a component. But, that defense has plenty of talent on the field to succeed and they still get pushed around too much. I think their problem is less injuries and more age and complacency.

The offensive line has been hit by injuries and we are playing some younger players. I think that injuries are one of the main issues here. But, the line play will improve. I believe in Kugler.

Let folks complain if they want to, you aren't going to stop them by bellyaching about it. You see the irony, right?

LouSteel
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
1) Look at our OL, they all have missed games or snaps from injuries. Scott (knee) Leg (shoulder) Pouncey (ankle) Kemo (knee) Colon (IR), add in Gilbert's shoulder and that Essex was only signed after the final preseason game.

Injuries or no, this wasn't exactly seen as a "good" group coming into the season. Pouncey is a up and coming player, and Colon is widely considered to be pretty good.

Beyond those two guys, we don't exactly have a bunch of world beaters.

IMO, there was a failure here by the FO. We should've recognized that this OL was going to give us problems and focused on shoring it up, either through the draft or FA. That, or our coaches aren't getting 100% out of these guys, which is an even worse thought...

2) Now look at our DL, 2 of the 3 starters missed games or snaps. These big boys are paid to take on the blockers to let our " MONEY PLAYERS" the LBers to make the plays. With out them being healthy how are the "MONEY PLAYERS" going to make the plays.

Agreed -- injuries and falloffs in performance (I'm looking at you, Smitty) are playing a big part in why the DL doesn't look good. But when the average age of your DL is 34, you're going to see injuries.

While we did address the DL with Heyward & Hood, my #1 concern with this D has always been NT -- finding a good one is critical for the 3-4 to work, and 3-4 NTs don't exactly grow on trees.

steeler_george
10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
So, you are sick of everyone blaming individuals and you choose to blame injuries.

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but it isn't just injuries. Every year we have injuries and that is a component. But, that defense has plenty of talent on the field to succeed and they still get pushed around too much. I think their problem is less injuries and more age and complacency.

The offensive line has been hit by injuries and we are playing some younger players. I think that injuries are one of the main issues here. But, the line play will improve. I believe in Kugler.

Let folks complain if they want to, you aren't going to stop them by bellyaching about it. You see the irony, right?

I definetly understand what you are saying. We love this team to shreads and just gets frustrating when we play under paar. But, there is no way that our 1.500 plus stud in RB suddenly sucks. There is no way Timmons and Woddley both suck. There is no way Ben is at fault especially with all the speedy receivers he has. There is no way our super bowl d is old is now expired.

feltdizz
10-06-2011, 02:06 PM

I definetly understand what you are saying. We love this team to shreads and just gets frustrating when we play under paar. But, there is no way that our 1.500 plus stud in RB suddenly sucks. There is no way Timmons and Woddley both suck. There is no way Ben is at fault especially with all the speedy receivers he has. There is no way our super bowl d is old is now expired.

If Mend isn't seeing the hole and is dancing with the stars he can suddenly suck.

If Timmon's is having trouble getting around Hampton and Smith because Smitty is getting pancaked and Hampton is getting cut he can suddenly suck.

If Woodley has the slow start and it goes 1 or 2 games longer then usual while we are losing he will suddenly suck.

My point is.. when we win, we don't look for goats most of the time. When we lose everything is magnified.

This isn't the first time we have suddenly sucked after a SB.. but I think since we lost this one we thought the team would come out hungry like GB this year. Unfortunately we have always been the team that plays down to competition, looks like trash the next game after we are called a favorite to reach a SB and needs some hogwash disrespect or adversity to rise to the occasion.

I would love to see our team win a SB and come out the next year and play at a high level.

steeler_george
10-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I think if Keisel wasn't injured, then A. Smith would of had his snaps dramtically reduced in favor of Hood.

I think it is just as important as the OL of them playing together to gel, to know where to stop gaps and free the LBers?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I somewhat disagree.

I don't think that any amount of good health can improve this O line much.

I don't think that the BMac injury has hurt us as I am impressed with the way that Gay and Lewis have played for the most part.

Harrison's injury will hurt but we have not had much of a chance to feel it yet.

The beatings that Ben has taken have hurt, but that is more the blame of the awful line.

Mendy hasn't done anything so far that we will miss.

Smitty has been beaten all over the field so his injuries have not hurt us as much as his play.

The only injury that has really hurt is Keisel's. I think that the best line right now is Hood-Hampton-Keisel with Heyward subbing in and out for the two ends. However, this is not something that we can blame this mess on.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 03:07 PM
My point is.. when we win, we don't look for goats most of the time. When we lose everything is magnified.

Unless we win by only a field goal vs. the Peyton-less Colts on national television. Then all hell breaks loose.

BURGH86STEEL
10-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I believe it's a combination of injuries, players not playing up to their abilities, and a couple of players showing their ages.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I believe it's a combination of injuries, players not playing up to their abilities, and a couple of players showing their ages.

Injuries.
Turnovers.
D-line is old and they suck.
O-line is fat and they suck.
Ben holds the ball too long and he sucks.
Mendenhall spins too much and he sucks.
Hines only catches WR screens and he sucks.
Woodley is stealing money and he sucks.
Timmons isn't Posluzny and sucks.
Arians keeps calling a RUTFM and he sucks.
LeBeau refuses to play guys under 30 and hesucks.
Tomlin hasn't fired Arians and LeBeau yet and he sucks.
Colbert has no idea how to scout OL and he sucks.

How the hell did we win 2 games?

pittpete
10-06-2011, 08:23 PM
How the hell did we win 2 games?

Seattle is 1 and 3 and Indy is 0 and 4...
We are in a bad state with a team loaded with underachievers at the moment.