PDA

View Full Version : some quotes from Ben

Steelgal
10-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Can't repost the entire article, because it's on a pay site, but these are quotes from Ben in an article from Mike Prisuta.

“I play the game a certain way and I don’t want to change that,” Roethlisberger said. “People talk about getting the ball out of your hand faster, do this, do that. I’ve been playing this game pretty successfully for the last seven years. I’ve done a decent job and we’ve done a good job and the line’s done a good job. We'll just play the game the way we know how."

“I play every game like it’s my last,” Roethlisberger maintained. “I don’t sit there and say 'OK, I'm going to play for year 15 or year 16"

“If this is my last year this is my last year, that’s the way I play the game. In that case it is what it is."

Maybe it's just me, but that's not what I want to hear from my quarterback. He's not just a football player, but an investment in the Steelers. Yes one thing that makes him great is his ability to extend plays. He's not the typical pocket passer and I can accept that. But to be so stubborn as to not change anything because it's worked in the past is ludicrous :HeadBanger The older you get, the more those injuries will linger. This is a HUGE reason I want Arians gone. He pretty much lets Ben do what Ben wants and doesn't seem to challenge him. Ben needs someone to coach him, not cater to him.

Steelers>NFL
10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Can't repost the entire article, because it's on a pay site, but these are quotes from Ben in an article from Mike Prisuta.

“I play the game a certain way and I don’t want to change that,” Roethlisberger said. “People talk about getting the ball out of your hand faster, do this, do that. I’ve been playing this game pretty successfully for the last seven years. I’ve done a decent job and we’ve done a good job and the line’s done a good job. We'll just play the game the way we know how."

“I play every game like it’s my last,” Roethlisberger maintained. “I don’t sit there and say 'OK, I'm going to play for year 15 or year 16"

“If this is my last year this is my last year, that’s the way I play the game. In that case it is what it is."

Maybe it's just me, but that's not what I want to hear from my quarterback. He's not just a football player, but an investment in the Steelers. Yes one thing that makes him great is his ability to extend plays. He's not the typical pocket passer and I can accept that. But to be so stubborn as to not change anything because it's worked in the past is ludicrous :HeadBanger The older you get, the more those injuries will linger. This is a HUGE reason I want Arians gone. He pretty much lets Ben do what Ben wants and doesn't seem to challenge him. Ben needs someone to coach him, not cater to him.

Ben wanted BA back this season. He is responsible for bringing that dead brain back.
Hence reason why BA caters to him. But it does not just stop there. Tomlin caters to the vets too. Too much if you ask me.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Djfan
10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Once again, you nailed it Gal. There is too much of this country club nonsense. Ben needs to be willing to learn and grow. I have hated his "I only play one way, Coach" junk. Learn and grow kid.

BA is just bad. Ben needs a coach, not a buddy.

williar
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
What I've been saying forever and the simple fans who think that Ben shares no responsibilty in the offensive woes or OL problems are always quick to shoot you down with their non-sense....Ben has done nothing to improve his game since he came into the league, and it shows.

All you have to do is look no further than Aaron Rogers for proof that you can make simple changes to you game that will dramatically make everyone around you better. GB didn't become the juggenaut that they are until Rogers got better. I don't think that is much to ask from the leader of your team....

When Ben made that ignorant comment to his coach "I only know how to play one way coach" That told all I needed to know about Ben and his lack of commitment to working on his game. I lost respect for Tomlin for leaving bullwinkle in the game after that.

LouSteel
10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
He's taken 8 years of tough hits. I'm worried that sometime in the not so distant future the hits really start taking their toll.

That ability to absorb hits and extend the play is what makes him good. Once he slows down and really gets dinged, he's an average QB at best.

And apparently we can't count on him to even try to learn what makes Rogers, Brees, and Brady -- the best QBs in the NFL -- successful. I wonder why he's not even interested in trying? We've always heard he's got the physical side of practice down, but that he needs to work on his study habits. Is he too lazy to want to do it? Does he just not get it?

More importantly, how many games have we lost because Ben isn't willing to really learn how to break down a defense and instead tries to rely on his physical skills?

Bad Ben is back. :HeadBanger

DkBlue
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
He has stated that he is not a film guy which is sad. With his physical skills he could be a great one of he worked a game plan instead of playground antics.

NorthCoast
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Ben's comments shouldn't surprise anyone. For a guy that is too stubborn to give up on a play, he is likely to be just as stubborn to change the way he plays.

It's great when it's working, but ugly when it's not.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
For the record, here is the context behind the "I only know how to play one way, Coach" quote. It was a game that the Steelers had in control late, and Tomlin was threatening to remove Roethlisberger from the game if he continued to put his body at risk by running around with reckless abandon.

"Tomlin: "I want to leave you in the game at least another series. If you can keep yourself clean."

Roethlisberger: "At least?"

Tomlin: "At least ... I'm just having a conversation with you. If you keep yourself clean, I'll be more inclined to leave you in the game. If you don't, I'll pull you."

Roethlisberger: "I only know how to play one way, Coach, but I'll do what I can."

Tomlin: "That's why I'm having a conversation with you. All right?"

Roethlisberger: "Okay, coach ... no more John Wayne."

feltdizz
10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
For the record, here is the context behind the "I only know how to play one way, Coach" quote. It was a game that the Steelers had in control late, and Tomlin was threatening to remove Roethlisberger from the game if he continued to put his body at risk by running around with reckless abandon.

"Tomlin: "I want to leave you in the game at least another series. If you can keep yourself clean."

Roethlisberger: "At least?"

Tomlin: "At least ... I'm just having a conversation with you. If you keep yourself clean, I'll be more inclined to leave you in the game. If you don't, I'll pull you."

Roethlisberger: "I only know how to play one way, Coach, but I'll do what I can."

Tomlin: "That's why I'm having a conversation with you. All right?"

Roethlisberger: "Okay, coach ... no more John Wayne."

What Roethlisberger was really saying:

I'll say "Okay, coach" so he'll STFU and let me do me.

feltdizz
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Ben's comments shouldn't surprise anyone. For a guy that is too stubborn to give up on a play, he is likely to be just as stubborn to change the way he plays.

It's great when it's working, but ugly when it's not.

:Agree

Feast or famine... when he breaks a tackle and throws a dart it's awesome.. but when he doesn't it's a sack most of the time and lately it's been sack fumbles.

Steelgal
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Maybe it's just me, but that's not what I want to hear from my quarterback. He's not just a football player, but an investment in the Steelers. Yes one thing that makes him great is his ability to extend plays. He's not the typical pocket passer and I can accept that. But to be so stubborn as to not change anything because it's worked in the past is ludicrous :HeadBanger The older you get, the more those injuries will linger. This is a HUGE reason I want Arians gone. He pretty much lets Ben do what Ben wants and doesn't seem to challenge him. Ben needs someone to coach him, not cater to him.[/quote]

Ben wanted BA back this season. He is responsible for bringing that dead brain back.
Hence reason why BA caters to him. But it does not just stop there. Tomlin caters to the vets too. Too much if you ask me.

Therein you have the problem. Both have gotton too 'comfortable' with the current system and know they need each other. Don't think Ben is gonna give up Arians without a fight. I just hope Tomlin is ready for it because it's long overdue. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in Tomlin in that respect.

Djfan
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM

Maybe it's just me, but that's not what I want to hear from my quarterback. He's not just a football player, but an investment in the Steelers. Yes one thing that makes him great is his ability to extend plays. He's not the typical pocket passer and I can accept that. But to be so stubborn as to not change anything because it's worked in the past is ludicrous :HeadBanger The older you get, the more those injuries will linger. This is a HUGE reason I want Arians gone. He pretty much lets Ben do what Ben wants and doesn't seem to challenge him. Ben needs someone to coach him, not cater to him.[/quote]

Therein you have the problem. Both have gotton too 'comfortable' with the current system and know they need each other. Don't think Ben is gonna give up Arians without a fight. I just hope Tomlin is ready for it because it's long overdue. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in Tomlin in that respect.

Once again, Gal, I agree. Great minds think alike.

feltdizz
10-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Ben has always been stubborn and hard headed.... it's awesome when it comes to winning but man it can be a nightmare when we are losing.

Not wanting to change made Ben great but it also makes him look like trash when things aren't clicking. The OL sucks right now.. is he really going to hold the ball and continue to try to make plays downfield while taking hit after hit and fumbling?

I could see if our D was playing lights out but right now we need 24 points at the minimum to win most games. There is no way we will score that many points if he is taking countless sacks, hits etc. just to hit Wallace deep once every 2 games.

I wish Ben was this stubborn about not taking unnecessary hits or fumbling the ball. He would be awesome.

BURGH86STEEL
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
His early success in the league probably contributed to his attitude. Eventually, the hits and injuries will take a toll on Ben. Ben's career will probably be shortened because of his attitude. It's probably the same attitude that's keep him from working to become one of the best QB's of all time. The same attitude probably contributed to the downfall between Ben and Whiz. That same attitude might cause some issues with another OC. Ben's not going to change for Tomlin, the owners, or anyone else.

What's ironic is that kind of stubbornness appears to have contributed to success and failures in Ben's life.

Sugar
10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Um, OK- let's remember that this is the guy that spent his suspension last year doing things to improve his game.

Context is key and I don't know, nor do I have the time to figure out what it was. You can make a public figure say just about anything if you just pull quotes.

chiken
10-06-2011, 07:41 PM
I think we are miss hearing what he is saying. Ben plays with a gunslinger mentality. He is reckless and Fearless at the same time. He will not chuck and Duck, He will not watch the Blitz and he will expect for his guys to hold the line for him while he does the thing we all love. IS it silly with this line yes.. Will it get him killed, possibly. Will it shorten his Career, sure. But for some of us to call him less of a qb because he refuses to play scared, thats just silly.

we all so enamored with the weapons but its these weapons that cant figure out the hot routes (yet).. We have an old man who is having a hell of a time getting open right now.. We have no running game (yet) so teams expect the pass.. We do have Heath but with the line the way it is, I wonder if he is forced to stay in and block more?

Bottom line is - if this line does not block then WE are not championship team, hell we wont even be a playoff team. Ben is going to do whatever he can to give us the best chance he can, just like he always does.

This season is not going down the tubes because Ben is holding the ball.. :2c

fordfixer
10-06-2011, 09:27 PM
On the Steelers: Captain Ward says his unit must come to rescue of defense

Thursday, October 06, 2011

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11279/1180084-66-0.stm

Ben Roethlisberger works Wednesday with the protective boot on his left foot, the result of the sprain he sustained late in Sunday's game in Houston. The sprain is not expected to prevent him from playing Sunday.

The Steelers defense lies in tatters, torn apart by two opposing running backs, silenced in turnovers and sacks and now shattered by the loss of two of its best players.

It is time, captain Hines Ward said, for his offense to turn the tables and carry the defense on its shoulders, starting Sunday against Tennessee. Time to pay back all those games their defense pulled out with dominating performances and timely turnovers.

"It's time for the offense to step up and carry this team," Ward said, "because the defense has carried us for many years now. And now they're going through this situation. We need to be there for our teammates and for this organization, we have to go out and make more plays."

The Steelers defense will be without four-time All-Pro linebacker James Harrison for 4 to 6 weeks and for their all-time best 3-4 defensive end, Aaron Smith, for at least this week. They will not have had the same starting defensive lineup in any of their five games this season when they take Heinz Field Sunday to play the Titans.

"James Harrison went down! He's like the terminator," Ward said.

"I never thought he'd miss any games. That puts a lot of stress -- not really stress, but importance -- on offense that we have to control the ball, keep Chris Johnson off the field."

The Steelers offense, though, has its own problems, such as an offensive line that has had three starting lineups in four games and could have another this week.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not practice Wednesday and still wore a boot on his injured left foot, and two halfbacks did not practice because of injuries -- starter Rashard Mendenhall (hamstring) and Mewelde Moore (ankle).

Roethlisberger repeated what coach Mike Tomlin predicted Tuesday, that he will play Sunday. And Ward said they will play as an angry team.

"We have a lot of guys who are [ticked] off right now," Ward said.

"We know we're not playing good football."

Same protective shoe

Roethlisberger will wear the same kind of protective shoe on his left foot that he wore last season on his right when a bone was broken. He said Wednesday there was no structural damage to his left foot, that it was bruised, but he does not want to take any chances of hurting it more severely.

The shoe will be an extra size larger and have a metal plate in the sole.

"We hope that we don't aggravate it, that's kind of the big key," Roethlisberger said.

He said he wants to make sure the injury does not affect him stepping into his throws or how he plays.

"I play the game a certain way and I don't want to change that. People talk about getting the ball out of your hand faster, do this and do that. But I've been playing this game pretty successfully, this is my eighth year and done a decent job, we've done a good job and the line has done a good job.

"I want to make sure [the linemen] don't get too much blame because a lot of it is my fault. We'll just play the game the way we know how."

Starks signs and practices

Max Starks signed a one-year, $810,000 contract and reported back to the Steelers Wednesday at 352 pounds, about 60 lighter than he was earlier this year. He then said he took about half of the snaps with the first team at left tackle.

He hopes to share time with the first team all week, provided his coaches liked what they saw.

"If I did OK, I'll probably stay on pace to do what I did today," said Starks.

It was his first practice since November, when he was lost for the season after neck surgery. Starks said his neck feels fine now but agreed it might be difficult to jump into a starting job with just a few practices after 11 months of none.

"It's a little premature to think that far ahead. I think I have at least an opportunity to dress by Sunday if I keep on this path and getting after it like I have. It probably would be a little tough [to start], but I'm a professional and it doesn't take too long to get back into things. We'll see how the week goes."

Jonathan Scott, who opened the season as the starting left tackle, returned to practice Wednesday after missing the loss Sunday at Houston with a sprained ankle. He said he does not know if he will regain his job or not.

"I don't know that now but I'll definitely be prepared for whatever direction they take us. [Starks] helped me out last year and having him in the offensive line is definitely an addition."

Roethlisberger, by the way, said he has pushed for the Steelers to re-sign Starks since training camp.

Quick hits

• Brett Keisel, who missed the past two games with a sprained knee, practiced Wednesday and said he will start at right defensive end. "I'm going to play. There wasn't anything today to indicate I wouldn't."

• With Keisel back, Ziggy Hood likely would move to left defensive end to start Sunday in place of Smith. He replaced Keisel the past two games.

• Ward, who needs 67 yards to pass Michael Irvin (11,904) for 19th most career receiving yards in the NFL, said he has been open this season for the most part. "I'm in the right spots I need to be. I can't tell someone or dictate where the ball goes. It's out of my control." Ward has 13 receptions for 136 yards.

• Keisel, on the team's 2-2 record: "I know people want to bury us, but we'll be OK."

• With his team's next victory, Mike Tomlin will notch No. 51 and tie Buddy Parker for third most among the franchise's coaches, including the postseason. Chuck Noll leads with 209 and Bill Cowher is second with 161, but Tomlin (50-25) has the best winning percentage (.667).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11279/11 ... z1a3Spvcb7 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11279/1180084-66-0.stm#ixzz1a3Spvcb7)

unionsteeler
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
I think we are miss hearing what he is saying. Ben plays with a gunslinger mentality. He is reckless and Fearless at the same time. He will not chuck and Duck, He will not watch the Blitz and he will expect for his guys to hold the line for him while he does the thing we all love. IS it silly with this line yes.. Will it get him killed, possibly. Will it shorten his Career, sure. But for some of us to call him less of a qb because he refuses to play scared, thats just silly.

we all so enamored with the weapons but its these weapons that cant figure out the hot routes (yet).. We have an old man who is having a hell of a time getting open right now.. We have no running game (yet) so teams expect the pass.. We do have Heath but with the line the way it is, I wonder if he is forced to stay in and block more?

Bottom line is - if this line does not block then WE are not championship team, hell we wont even be a playoff team. Ben is going to do whatever he can to give us the best chance he can, just like he always does.

if he could have sat on his azz and got fatter he would have... people had about all they could take of his crap at that point. He didnt exactly light it up last season.

These are the exact reasons I could careless if he ever takes the field again for the Steelers.... "eliteQB's" adapt as needed,this knuklehead the same guy who face planted into a buick is never going to learn. His career is nearing an end here in the burgh.

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2011, 10:04 AM

if he could have sat on his bad word and got fatter he would have... people had about all they could take of his crap at that point. He didnt exactly light it up last season.

These are the exact reasons I could careless if he ever takes the field again for the Steelers.... "eliteQB's" adapt as needed,this knuklehead the same guy who face planted into a buick is never going to learn. His career is nearing an end here in the burgh.

Yeah, he only lead his team to the Super Bowl last year. Get rid of the bum.

unionsteeler
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM

if he could have sat on his bad word and got fatter he would have... people had about all they could take of his crap at that point. He didnt exactly light it up last season.

He didnt lead them anywhere ...he rode there coat tails ... do you even watch the games ?

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2011, 12:22 PM

He didnt lead them anywhere ...he rode there coat tails ... do you even watch the games ?

I watched every game that coattail-rider played...in fact, I watched him throw for 3200 yards (8th most all time for Steeler QB's in spite of only playing in 12 games) with 17 TD's and 5 INT's. We should have really stayed with the Dixon/Batch combo that threw for 606 yards, 3 TD's, and 4 INT's between them in the first 4 games instead. Brilliant.

papillon
10-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Just for clarification purposes, Ben's statement 5 or 6 years ago about film study was in response to being asked how much time he spends in the film room. His response was that he studys film, doesn't like to do it, and learns better by being on the field and practicing what he did study from the film.

That doesn't mean he won't study film, can't study film, refuses to study film, it means, he'd rather go on the practice field and practice what he's seen on the film that he did study. Paper and pencil doesn't work for him, BFD.

He isn't changing folks, he'll never get the folks who think he stinks to believe otherwise and those that embrace his style of play or those that have adapted to his style of play (my scenario) will always enjoy Ben for what he does and how he does it.

I'm not tickled with the way he's been playing, it hasn't been horrible, it hasn't been great, but it's been exciting and frustrating all at once and some times on the same play.

Pappy

NorthCoast
10-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Sorry, but the bottom line is about winning and Ben's way is not getting it done for us right now with the OL we have. Ben needs to change his game or the losses will continue until the OL has more talent.

I seem to remember a quote: "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

Check this out: http://youtu.be/4zLlIdZikDk

chiken
10-07-2011, 06:39 PM
We do we want our Qb to change the way he plays - the guy has been to 3 superbowls playing that way? That sounds crazy

We need for the dang on line to block at least as bad as they use to block before, when we were competitive at LOS.. Right now they just flat out stink.

You guys want to turn Ben into Frickin Jason Campbell. We want to try and dink and dunk our way down the SuperBowl..

And for everyone hollering about Brady dinking and dunking please remember that its all good for him when His line blocks but when they dont, he is 1 and done..

oh yea and young Receivers please grow up faster.

Djfan
10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
We do we want our Qb to change the way he plays - the guy has been to 3 superbowls playing that way? That sounds crazy.

Change? No. Add to his arsenal of tools? You bet. It's called maturity and professional growth. He doesn't know everything yet. I wouldn't hurt him to learn and adapt.

Steveo
10-07-2011, 09:52 PM
It's funny that when a player like a QB plays a certain way and wins games no one seems to mind, but the first time a team starts to struggle then he needs to change. I heard a very interesting interview today on Sirius NFL with a player from GB I believe. They were having him comment on a caller who had called into the show just prior to the scheduled interview, and he said some very similar things. These guys have been playing the game a certain way their entire lives, and it’s in no small part based on the way the play the game that got them to the NFL in the first place. It’s easy for us as fans to sit back and play arm chair QB or Coach, but these guys are all pretty smart and familiar with the game. I think the way Ben plays has in no small part contributed to the success this team has had over the last 7 years. In addition it’s the way he plays the game that makes him fun to watch, and gives hope every week that we just might be able to win. I have no problem with him not wanting to change, I just wish the OL could give him a little more protection so that he actually has time to play the game his way and not run for his life.

Djfan
10-08-2011, 09:39 AM
(See post above Steveo's for clear insight to Steveo's post.)

chiken
10-08-2011, 09:53 AM

So your asking that he Adapt UNTIL the Line starts to block and then go back to the Superbowl Caliber Qb that has led us to this point.

How about asking the line to just block, Open holes, stop false Starting every other series, Stop getting manhandled by every top tier Pass Rusher in the league. Without Ben being Ben for this team we are Average at best. He is our play-maker. He is always going to try and make the play.

No one was complaining when the confetti was falling and we were boasting how we have won more superbowls then any team in history.

Djfan
10-08-2011, 10:06 AM

So your asking that he Adapt UNTIL the Line starts to block and then go back to the Superbowl Caliber Qb that has led us to this point.

How about asking the line to just block, Open holes, stop false Starting every other series, Stop getting manhandled by every top tier Pass Rusher in the league. Without Ben being Ben for this team we are Average at best. He is our play-maker. He is always going to try and make the play.

No one was complaining when the confetti was falling and we were boasting how we have won more superbowls then any team in history.

Nope. I'm asking that he stay the same Ben we all believe in, AND add some quick hit - defense reading - keep the Dline guessing, type of plays. AND, I want him to do it for the rest of his career, not until the line decides to be there on Sundays.

As for the line, that very sad topic is entirely unrelated to my Ben-wish-he-would-do list. But, I wish he had a line again.

feltdizz
10-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Of course no one complained when the confetti was falling... why change something when you are winning? When you start losing, have 9 TO's, 20 sacks and can't get out of your own way... that's when it's time to change a few things. Nothing wrong with adding to the arsonal... being stubborn has won a ton of games but we are now in a place where it's losing games.

There are times when Ben needs to chuck and duck... it desnt make him less of a QB to save his body from a hit that will effect him for the rest of the season.

There has always been a few fans who wanted Ben to protect himself from the senseless hits because we knew there would be days like this.

NJ-STEELER
10-08-2011, 02:51 PM
We do we want our Qb to change the way he plays - the guy has been to 3 superbowls playing that way? That sounds crazy

We need for the dang on line to block at least as bad as they use to block before, when we were competitive at LOS.. Right now they just flat out stink.

You guys want to turn Ben into Frickin Jason Campbell. We want to try and dink and dunk our way down the SuperBowl..

And for everyone hollering about Brady dinking and dunking please remember that its all good for him when His line blocks but when they dont, he is 1 and done..

oh yea and young Receivers please grow up faster.

$$

reminds me of how everyone thought matt hasselback was done. he chose to go to tennesse because of their O line and is now is among the leaders in the afc in QB ranking

amzing what some protection will do for ya

eniparadoxgma
10-08-2011, 03:18 PM

I watched every game that coattail-rider played...in fact, I watched him throw for 3200 yards (8th most all time for Steeler QB's in spite of only playing in 12 games) with 17 TD's and 5 INT's. We should have really stayed with the Dixon/Batch combo that threw for 606 yards, 3 TD's, and 4 INT's between them in the first 4 games instead. Brilliant.

<crickets> :tt2