PDA

View Full Version : Did you guys forget how bad Max Starks was?

Dee Dub
10-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm reading a lot of posters acting as if the return of Max Starks is the answer to all the Steeler problems.....but I guess you forgot how bad of a pass blocker he was?

And maybe you also forgot how well Jonathan Scott played the second half of last season?

Look I love the Steelers. I hope Starks comes back and is the greatest LT the game has ever seen...but that isnt being realistic. He is not very good in pass blocking. Yeah he is a road grader at run blocking but he isnt the answer to keeping Ben upright.

Sorry.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-05-2011, 09:00 PM
started on two super bowl winners.

he can't be worse than what we have seen to this point.

Northern_Blitz
10-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I remember when we used to have a line full of road graders that could run block, but couldn't pass block to save their lives.

Now, we have a line that can't pass block, but can't run block either.

Seems to me like having someone with at least one skill set on the O-Line would be an improvement...no?

Not saying he'll be all world, but average to below-average would be an upgrade IMO.

Dee Dub
10-05-2011, 09:04 PM
started on two super bowl winners.

Oh so he must be good huh?? Are you kidding me Eddie? :roll:

TD386Steel
10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Scott's not going to lose his job!? That is according to league sources. Starks is a backup or will take over for Gilbert if he stumbles or injury's to either side. Its a good pickup at the right price. I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

Chavezz
10-05-2011, 09:24 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":1ek8az2l]started on two super bowl winners.

Oh so he must be good huh?? Are you kidding me Eddie? :roll:[/quote:1ek8az2l]

So you think J. Scott is going to be better than Starks?

Eddie Spaghetti
10-05-2011, 09:37 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":wy9drt1e]started on two super bowl winners.

Oh so he must be good huh?? Are you kidding me Eddie? :roll:[/quote:wy9drt1e]

is that what i said?

i think he is an improvement over what we have seen up to this point.

i expect him to be better than jonathan scott and light years ahead of trai essex.

Prowler
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I always thought Starks was for the most part consistently steady, not great but an above average OL for us. I for one am happy he's back.

NJ-STEELER
10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
he's not a great OT, but he's better then what we have now

pfelix73
10-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Not a good run blocking OL? laughable. Look, when they put these guys in bad situations the RB isn't gonna be too damn successful.. They make a few changes in the 2nd half last Sunday and they have some success at running the ball.. Redman/Moore. They actually had Pouncey take his man one on one and got the RT some help. Pulled the LG on some traps and waalaa- some success..This is something Wolfman was elaborating on this past monday....Hopefully it will continue from here on out.

If your blocking assignments are done correctly, this OL can run block just fine... This is where BA/ Kugler have to get it right....

:tt1

Dee Dub
10-06-2011, 12:17 AM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":2rlrexs0]started on two super bowl winners.

Oh so he must be good huh?? Are you kidding me Eddie? :roll:

So you think J. Scott is going to be better than Starks?[/quote:2rlrexs0]

What we saw out of Scott the second half of last year as a pass blocker was above average. It was clear then that he had done a better job than what Starks had given the Steelers the two previous years.

I think it's a little unfair to criticize Scott so far this year when he has been banged up with an injury.

But mark my words..Starks gets back in there..it wont be long before Steeler fans remember just how poor of a pass blocker Starks is.

Jooser
10-06-2011, 12:29 AM
I remember when we used to have a line full of road graders that could run block, but couldn't pass block to save their lives.

Seems to me like having someone with at least one skill set on the O-Line would be an improvement...no?

Not saying he'll be all world, but average to below-average would be an upgrade IMO.

Yeah, but they can play multiple positions. That's really important to Tomlin. Never mind they play multiple positions poorly though. Seems we need guys who can accel at their given position at the very least!

grotonsteel
10-06-2011, 12:40 AM

Yeah, but they can play multiple positions. That's really important to Tomlin. Never mind they play multiple positions poorly though. Seems we need guys who can accel at their given position at the very least!

:Agree

And i think it hurts Steelers the most at FB position. DJ is neither a good pass catching TE nor a good blocking FB.

Player like John Kuhn would have been a huge upgrade.

grotonsteel
10-06-2011, 12:49 AM
But mark my words..Starks gets back in there..it wont be long before Steeler fans remember just how poor of a pass blocker Starks is.

Starks was a great run blocker and an average pass blocker before his injury. I think Max Starks had problems in pass blocking with speedy rushers but i would take a healthy Max Starks any time any day over Essex.

Also Ben has more confidence in Max Starks than Essex.

steelblood
10-06-2011, 07:32 AM
I honestly believe that Max Starks was an average LT. And, I mean that as a compliment. He was competent in the pass game and passable as a run blocker. I agree with Dub that Scott played very well late last season. But, he has been whipped so far this season. This was a good move. We need three competent tackles and Essex should never see the field again.

The only caveat I have is that Starks signing should not come at the cost of Gilbert's development. I want Gilbert to play.

SteelBucks
10-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Essex should never see the field again.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
What I find amusing is that some of the same people who think Starks is such a bad LT have said that Colon is one of the best RTs in the league.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-06-2011, 08:55 AM
What does what Scott did last year have to do with what he did this year? He was on the field wasn't he? He missed last game but I didn't hear anyone saying he was an "above average" pass blocker. He struggled...Simple as that. Scott never was an above average pass blocker last year...He just showed improvement as the starts piled up. I would say Scott has the ability to be as good as Starks at pass pro on the left side but Scott is not the same run blocker Starks is. I would actually like to see how the combination of Gilbert at LT & Starks at RT would work but I don't think we will see that happen unless injury forces it. Saying all that, Starks returning made the OL talent better...So how can you be down on it? He was the only & best option for the $$$ we had. I feel alot more confident now that improvements are on the horizon. I wasn't this optimistic before the signing.

phillyesq
10-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Starks has demonstrated, throughout his career, that he is generally a playable option at OT. At his best, he is a competent pass blocker and above-average run blocker. Like many OTs, he has his troubles with speed rushers, but he has a long reach and good strength.

For now, it seems that he may be replacing Essex as the top backup at OT. Dub, I'm sure you'd agree, he's an upgrade over Essex at OT.

Scott had a run at the end of last season when he played probably the best football he'll ever play in his career, and he was decent in pass protection. This year, sure, he's been a bit banged up, but that often seems to be the case with him. His game against the Colts was among the worst I've ever seen from an OT. Heck, even Trai Essex did better against Freeney when he was forced into an emergency start in his first or second year.

Scott hasn't been playable this year. Maybe Starks pushes him to reach average, or maybe Starks takes over for him. Nobody is expeting Starks to be Orlando Pace (at least I'm not). But if he can play competently and add some power to the line, then the Steelers will be in a better position than they were without him.

steeler_george
10-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Thoughts on Starks,

1) I wanted the Steelers to retain him over Colon. But he ate himself out of football.

2) As thin as we are on the OL, I don't really think it is talent level we have issues with, but more of coaching and continuity. There seems to be lack of communication, confussion, trust, all resulting in missed blocks. Look at Pouncey, we all agree he is talented, but he is no where playing to the level he played last year. He even looks below average this year, and he is playing along side the same players as last year, Kemo and Foster.

3) A week ago he was in Minnesota, and I don't even think they offered him a contract. What does say about Starks health and regards to other OT in the league? If he returns to the "classic Starks" we know of he is serviceable solid at best, which right now seems all pro compared to our play at LT.

4) I am wondering now what happens to Essex? Does he get thrown now at the compitetion at guard?

Ghost
10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't believe there is anyone here who is saying this is a full cure to the ailments of the line. But it's a great acquisition in that: he knows the playbook, he knows the players and coaches, Ben likes him (wore his number when he got cut), is certainly equal to any tackle on the team right now, the 2 starters have both been injured with a good chance to be hurt again, he fits the tight salary restrictions the Steelers had, he has something to prove, and it gives added depth on the 0-line that is severely needed.

It's not as if Tomlin can head to O-Lineman Depot and pick out a player. "Offense Tackles, aisle 4. Pro bowlers down at the end."

Northern_Blitz
10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Not a good run blocking OL? laughable. Look, when they put these guys in bad situations the RB isn't gonna be too damn successful.. They make a few changes in the 2nd half last Sunday and they have some success at running the ball.. Redman/Moore. They actually had Pouncey take his man one on one and got the RT some help. Pulled the LG on some traps and waalaa- some success..This is something Wolfman was elaborating on this past monday....Hopefully it will continue from here on out.

If your blocking assignments are done correctly, this OL can run block just fine... This is where BA/ Kugler have to get it right....

:tt1

Although I am encouraged by our one half of good running, I don't think it outweighs our 7 halves of terrible running yet.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I remember, and always believed that Starks is an above average OT and underappreciated here. He was the guy with the big contract and the biggest bullseye on his chest, yet he continued his steady play.

Trouble with speed rushers? Sure, but there is a reason that some of these guys put up 15 sacks a year. Very good run blocker, decent/average pass blocker. Huge upgrade over Scott, Essex, or whoever else was next - IF RECOVERED.

pittpete
10-06-2011, 08:19 PM
And maybe you also forgot how well Jonathan Scott played the second half of last season?

Dont you mean Jonathan Scott wasnt nearly as bad as he was the first half?
Scott is not an NFL caliber tackle no matter what.

BURGH86STEEL
10-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Dont you mean Jonathan Scott wasnt nearly as bad as he was the first half?
Scott is not an NFL caliber tackle no matter what.

Scott played a good first half vs the Colts. That shows he has the potential to play well. He had a bad 2nd half vs one of the better pass rushers in the league. A bad 2nd half of a game shouldn't be used to define Scott's overall performance. IMO, fans fall into that trap to often.

fordfixer
10-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Steelers' patchwork offensive line takes more hits

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 7, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 60630.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_760630.html)

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians liked what he saw with the right side of the offensive line of Marcus Gilbert and Ramon Foster so much last week that there won't be any changes.

The rest of the line, well, that's another story.

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu (hand, knee) won't play Sunday against Tennessee and will be replaced by Doug Legursky, and it appears that Max Starks could find himself starting at left tackle only days after signing with the team.

A day after Starks took 50 percent of the first-team snaps at left tackle in his first practice in nearly a year, he followed that up yesterday with what he called 'two-thirds or three-fourths' of the first-team snaps.

Arians didn't say whether or not Starks will get the start ahead of incumbent Jonathan Scott, who went through his second full day of practice yesterday while recovering from a sprained ankle but didn't rule it out.

"It'd be different if he was learning a new offense," Arians said. "He has shown up in great shape, and he picked it right back up. We'll see again (today) which way we go. He is in the mix for sure."

If Starks does get the start, it will be the third different starting left tackle and left guard the Steelers had in five games due to a rash of injuries up front.

Willie Colon was placed on injured reserve with a torn triceps after one game; Gilbert, Legursky and Maurkice Pouncey all have sore shoulders; Scott has a banged-up knee to go along with his sprained ankle, and Kemoeatu has hand and knee injuries that might keep him out more than Sunday's game.

"It would be a nice feeling to have them all healthy," Arians said. "It's kind of like going through training camp right now, everybody's fighting for jobs and we're in the middle of the season. But it's due to injuries, and it could be a blessing in the long run. We'll have a lot of depth."

The line had trouble in spurts last week with protection, allowing most of the damage to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger during the first and last series of the game.

But the staff was pleased with how they ran the ball.

The Steelers had its best rushing day of the season. They averaged 5.4 yards per carry with the majority of that coming to the right behind Foster and Gilbert.

"Me and Marcus had some good things going on that left side last week," Foster said. "We are going to try to keep that going this week against the Titans."

Arians called 13 straight runs in the third quarter and into the fourth, including all eight plays on the game-tying field goal drive against the Texans.

"We had it going last week," Pouncey said. "We've just got to execute the stuff B.A. calls, and we'll be fine."

Arians called the '34 Pike' or the '22 Double' where Kemoeatu pulls from left to right eight times, including a couple of times on back-to-back occasions. In all, 83 of the Steelers 118 rushing yards came on that play.

"I like what the right side did last week in the running game together, don't want to break that up," Arians said.

Read more: Steelers' patchwork offensive line takes more hits - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1a4jAmcS5 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_760630.html#ixzz1a4jAmcS5)

feltdizz
10-07-2011, 09:52 AM

And i think it hurts Steelers the most at FB position. DJ is neither a good pass catching TE nor a good blocking FB.

Player like John Kuhn would have been a huge upgrade.

I don't think the FB is the primary reason our run game sucks. How many great FB's are there in this league right now?

If we were going back to 1990's Steeler football I would love seeing a true FB in their but I don't think it's the primary reason our run game sucks.

Redman and Moore showed that hitting the hole fast is the quickest way to cure our OL woes. If we changed our blocking scheme in the second half of last game then that helps as well.

John Khun isn't the reason GB is successful in the run game. Do they even have a run game?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-07-2011, 10:33 AM
OL is looking for chemistry...And that should come with the addition of Starks and some playing time when they stop shuffling the lineup.

Redman, Moore, Dwyer, & Clay are better suited for Arians system when you go 12 & 13 personnel and run the ball. You are going to see the 8 man fronts with a S in the box and tight OLBs & CBs outside the tackle box. If you have a RB who wants to bounce or gears down before the hole looking for a cutback, he is going to get caught in the penetration or flow. The downhill-one cut-north & south running is obviously productive even behind this OL. One drive in the 2nd half last week told you all what you needed to know. Now, Mendenhall is still capable of doing it...We have seen it. What he needs to do is do it consistently when he carries the ball out of that personnel package and take what is there. Use his athletic abilty if he clears the 2nd level...Not use it trying to get around the corner. When they come out in 11 personnel and try to run...Then he should use his instincts & athletic ability looking for a big play when the field is spread more. A 2nd & 6 or 7 after taking what is there puts the DC in a split. A 2nd & 10 or 11 makes any DC dialed up to a call.

feltdizz
10-07-2011, 10:49 AM
OL is looking for chemistry...And that should come with the addition of Starks and some playing time when they stop shuffling the lineup.

Redman, Moore, Dwyer, & Clay are better suited for Arians system when you go 12 & 13 personnel and run the ball. You are going to see the 8 man fronts with a S in the box and tight OLBs & CBs outside the tackle box. If you have a RB who wants to bounce or gears down before the hole looking for a cutback, he is going to get caught in the penetration or flow. The downhill-one cut-north & south running is obviously productive even behind this OL. One drive in the 2nd half last week told you all what you needed to know. Now, Mendenhall is still capable of doing it...We have seen it. What he needs to do is do it consistently when he carries the ball out of that personnel package and take what is there. Use his athletic abilty if he clears the 2nd level...Not use it trying to get around the corner. When they come out in 11 personnel and try to run...Then he should use his instincts & athletic ability looking for a big play when the field is spread more. A 2nd & 6 or 7 after taking what is there puts the DC in a split. A 2nd & 10 or 11 makes any DC dialed up to a call.

yeah... what he said^^^

williar
10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":3t9u83hn]started on two super bowl winners.

Oh so he must be good huh?? Are you kidding me Eddie? :roll:[/quote:3t9u83hn]

Well, I hear that argument for Ben all the time. He won us two sb :roll: so he's elite.... :roll: Like he was really the reason :roll:

steelblood
10-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Starks played very well today.

hawaiiansteel
10-11-2011, 05:32 PM
After further review Ö

By Mark Kaboly
October 11th, 2011

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Titans game on my DVR.

* Max Starks deserves a lot of credit for coming in off the street, practicing three times and be able to play some 60 offensive snaps in his first action of any kind in 11 months.

Just right there is impressive.

However, letís not make more out of it than what it is. Starks isnít quite the messiah of the offensive line yet.

Facts are facts and stats are stats, and both can be misleading at times.

The fact is that Starks represented himself well. The stats say that he didnít allow a single hit or hurry to Ben Roethlisberger while the running game broke off some nice runs to his side (a side the Steelers rarely run to because they arenít successful).

The misleading part is that Starks wasnít really challenged much, and probably wonít be challenged until next month when Terrelle Suggs and the Baltimore Ravens come to town.

First of all, Tennesseeís defensive line isnít very athletic and really never challenged Starks in any way by throwing different looks at him.

Second, Dave Ball isnít going to putting much pressure on any left tackle in the league with his speed, which made it a perfect recipe for success for Starks.

Starks has always been good for knowing what to do and not making mistakes. Once he gets his hands on you, itís over, and that didnít change Sunday.

But Starks did show that he wasnít very quick on his feet, which we all knew. I am sure that will improve some as the weeks go along, but how much so?

A guy who can get to the edge quick has, and always will, give Starks fits, and those are the guys who can create havoc and change outcomes of games. Ball isnít one of those guys.

Sure, Starks did better than Trai Essex, but it wasnít a significant upgrade that automatically made the Steelers win a game by three touchdowns.

Starks deserves credit. But a difference-maker Ö ?

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... FQ.twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/10/11/after-further-review-8/#.TpS0UpAk8FQ.twitter)

DukieBoy
10-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Remax > Max

MaxAMillion
10-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm reading a lot of posters acting as if the return of Max Starks is the answer to all the Steeler problems.....but I guess you forgot how bad of a pass blocker he was?

Look I love the Steelers. I hope Starks comes back and is the greatest LT the game has ever seen...but that isnt being realistic. He is not very good in pass blocking. Yeah he is a road grader at run blocking but he isnt the answer to keeping Ben upright.

Sorry.

Starks is far from a road grader. Think back to which side the Steelers ran behind over the last few seasons...it was almost always to the right behind Colon. Starks is better than Scott but that doesn't say much.

My fear is that Colbert will use Starks play as a reason to avoid trying to upgrade the LT position in the off season. All Colbert wants is an excuse and he will end up putting more capital on every position but OL.

papillon
10-12-2011, 06:16 AM
One other thing that Starks brings to the table is the friendship with Ben. I think Ben played with more confidence, one, because he had a friend covering his back and two, because max is an upgrade.

Pappy

papillon
10-12-2011, 06:19 AM

Redman, Moore, Dwyer, & Clay are better suited for Arians system when you go 12 & 13 personnel and run the ball.

I didn't realize you were allowed to put 12 or 13 players on the field if you were going to run a running play. :shock: :D

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
10-14-2011, 02:50 AM
Vet has line in better shape

10/11/2011
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - So much for easing Max Starks into the lineup.

Signed last Tuesday to help bolster the Steelers' offensive line depth, Starks not only started Sunday's 38-17 victory over the Tennessee Titans, he played most of the game, helping pave the way for Pittsburgh's best offensive output of the season.

"It was, 'OK, let's see how we're going to use him,'" said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who tied a career high with five touchdown passes.

"Are we going to use him sparingly? What are we going to do? He ends up starting, and the plan was that he was going to rotate so we could check on his conditioning. The next thing you know, he's playing the whole game."

Not quite the whole game. Starks did give way to Jonathan Scott at the end of Pittsburgh's first two touchdown drives, once the Steelers (3-2) moved inside the Tennessee 20-yard line.

But after rookie Marcus Gilbert suffered a shoulder injury early in the second quarter, which forced the Steelers to insert Scott at right tackle, Starks didn't miss a snap.

"It felt great," said Starks. "I was very surprised. For my first game back, I thought I was going to get a lot more winded."

Starks played so weell that he was awarded with a game ball for his performance.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said the decision to start Starks was an easy one.

"It's something that revealed itself to us over the course of the week," Tomlin said. "I think the first thing is that you have to give credit to him for coming back in the ridiculously good shape he's in, that's a prerequisite. He's a quick study. He got more and more comfortable with what he was capable of doing as the week wore on. Quite honestly, we needed it."

Starks was released by the Steelers at the beginning of training camp in a salary cap-related move. He missed the second half of last season with a neck injury that required surgery. Starks was also unable to work out during his recovery and his weight ballooned from 345 pounds to nearly 400.

With the release of Starks and Flozell Adams - the Steelers' starting right tackle last year - the offensive line has been in a state of flux. Right tackle Willie Colon was lost for the season to a torn triceps in Week 1, and Scott, Doug Legursky and Chris Kemoeatu each have missed at least one game.

Gilbert's shoulder injury might keep him out of Sunday's game against Jacksonville, meaning the Steelers could be starting their sixth different line combination in six games.

The constant change added up to an offense that sputtered more often than it soared. The Steelers hadn't scored more than 24 points prior to playing the Titans, who the game as the NFL's stingiest defense.

The Steelers' 431 total yards, and 174 rushing yards, against Tennessee each are season highs.

The offensive line also kept Roethlisberger standing, allowing only one sack after giving up 14 in the first four games.

"Our biggest goal was to keep him upright," Starks said. "And we knew he'd perform if we did that. He did - throwing for five touchdowns speaks for itself."

Odds and end zones

Tomlin's record is 51-25. He's only the fourth Steelers coach to reach 51 wins, joining Chuck Noll (209), Bill Cowher (161) and Buddy Parker (51). ... Mike Wallace's 40-yard TD catch was the 19th reception of 40 or more yards in his career with 12 going for scores.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/spo ... mprovement (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/10-11-2011-Steelers-offensive-improvement)