PDA

View Full Version : Searching the Nation for NT Prospects

steelblood
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
This is not a great NT draft. But, there are some non-traditional NTs that could be effective.

Here is my early season list of available prospects. We will separate it into traditional and non-traditional NTs.

TRADITIONAL NTs

1. Alameda Ta'Amu-DT Washington. 6'3, 330. Ta'Amu is very strong and posseses good athleticism and initial quickness. He can penetrate and stack a double team. He does not possess the elite athleticism of Ngata, but he is likely a 1st round choice in a weak NT class.

2. Josh Chapman-NT Alabama. 6'1, 315. Chapman already plays NT in a 3-4. He is an effective space eater at the college level. He does not possess elite size, strength, or athleticism. His initial quickness off the snap is fair to good. Chapman is likely a third or fourth round prospect and may only become a rotational player.

3. Jesse Williams-DE Alabama. 6'4, 320. Junior*. Williams plays 3-4 DE for Alabama. If he declares he will likely be seen as a future NT or run stuffer. He has the frame to add significant bulk. At this point in his career, I would not call Williams a dominant player. But, he has the building blocks to a successful NT and could possibly be a day two pick if he declares and works out as well as I suspect he will. From what I've seen, Williams could be a starting NT in the NFL after increasing his bulk and strength and learning better technique. I think he would be a good value pick.

4. D'Angelo McCray-DT Memphis. 6'4, 330. I have not seen McCray play. He is described as talented, but underachieving run stuffer and a middle round talent

5. Brandon Bullock-DT Marshall. 6'3, 361. I've seen Bullock play against West Virginia and Virginia Tech. He plays in a rotation. He is very inconsistent. On one play he will be easily sealed by a single smaller player, and on the next he will blow the same player up. Currently, he is too often dominated to be considered in the first half of the draft. But, he demonstrates excellent functional strength and good athleticism.

5. Hebron Fangupo-DT BYU. 6'2, 330. Fangupo was once a prized recruit of Pete Carroll at USC. He never found a niche on that team and later transferred. At BYU, he is a rotational player who demonstrates good functional strength, but poor technique. Fangupo also has NFL-level athleticism. But, he is still raw and does not play a big role on an average defense. I don't know if the light will ever go on. But, he could be worth a late round flyer depending on how he plays the rest of the year.

6. Sylvestor Williams-DT North Carolina. 6'3, 325. Junior*.

7. T.J. Barnes-DT Georgia Tech. 6'7, 333. Junior*. I watched this turd play against NC. He was a backup DT who only saw a few plays. He gets too tall too quickly to be an effective NT in the NFL. UDFA, if he declares.

NON-TRADITIONAL NTs

1. Jerel Worthy-DT Michigan State. 6'3, 310. Junior*. I have not seen Worthy play this year. His a highly regarded linemen with a first round grade. He is more of a 4-3 penetrator, but given his athleticism, he could make the transition.

2. Jordan Hill-DT Penn State. 6'1, 316. Junior*. Hill is stout and quick. He will likely be valued more by 4-3 teams because of his lack pro typical bulk. But, Hill looks like a small truck and can handle double teams.

3. Tydreke Powell-DT North Carolina. 6'3, 310. Powell is a penetrating 4-3 DT. He does not look like he is 310. He moves very well and has quick hands and long arms to give interior linemen fits trying to contain him. From the games I've seen, Powell is wildly inconsistent. But, he has early round talent and should be a great nickel pass rusher with enough size to play NT or DE. He would be more of a Jay Ratliff type NT.

4. Mike Martin-DT Michigan. 6'2, 300. Scrappy plugger. Chris Hoke type.

5. Brandon Thompson-DT Clemson. 6'3 310.

Juniors Marcus Forston of Miami and Kawann Short of Purdue may also fit into this second category.

Who am I missing?

steelblood
10-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Watched the Baylor - Kansas St. replay last night.

First, Robert Griffin III and Kendal Wright are very impressive.

For purposes of this thread, I watched DT Nicolas Jean-Baptiste. Baylor. 6'2, 335. He is strong and can push OL back. But he is often eliminated by a single player, does not stand up well to double teams, and looks very slow (even for a NT). Looks like a UDFA possibility.

bvillesteel
01-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Watched the national championship game last night and besides the kid Hightower I like Gentry. Kind of small but had a great push last night against a very good o-line. Had some pretty nice splash plays as well. Maybe we go away from a traditional nose tackle and look at people like this.

RuthlessBurgher
01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
4. D'Angelo McCray-DT Memphis. 6'4, 330. I have not seen McCray play. He is described as talented, but underachieving run stuffer and a middle round talent

McCray made the switch from defensive line to offensive line. The big time NT prospect from Memphis this year is 6'5" 350 lbs. Dontari Poe (who may be a late first round pick this year).

steelblood
02-08-2012, 09:48 AM

McCray made the switch from defensive line to offensive line. The big time NT prospect from Memphis this year is 6'5" 350 lbs. Dontari Poe (who may be a late first round pick this year).

Yeah, this thread is from early October and needs updated.

Here is an updated list (order is by school)

Josh Chapman NT Alabama Sr 6'1 310
Nicolas Jean-Baptiste NT Baylor Sr 6'2 335
Hebron "Loni" Fangupo NT BYU Sr 6'2 330
Brandon Thompson NT Clemson Sr 6'2 310
Kaniela Tuipulotu NT Hawiaii Sr 6'1 310
Ishmaa'illy Kitchen NT Kent St Sr 6'3 334
Brandon Bullock NT Marshall Sr 6'3 361
Dontari Poe NT Memphis Jr-D 6'5 350
D'Angelo McCray NT Memphis Sr 6'4 330
Mike Martin NT Michigan Sr 6'2 300
Chigbo Anunoby NT Morehouse Sr 6'4 324
Tydreke Powell NT N Carolina Sr 6'3 310