PDA

View Full Version : Starks Expected to Return to Steelers

phillyesq
10-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Per Alby Oxenreiter:

Breaking story: I've learned that Max Starks visited the #Steelers South Side facility this evening. Expect Starks to be signed soon. #WPXI

I never thought that I'd be so happy to hear that Starks may be a part of the team. Amazing how a few games started by Jon Scott and company can change your perspective...

Chadman
10-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Well, not surprised to be honest. Season saving signing?

Who gets punted to make way? Arnaz?

SidSmythe
10-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Can he play Right DE, ROLB, Kicker, Fullback or Guard??

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Arnaz is a great choice, but if it's an OL then Chris Scott might get punted.

RuthlessBurgher
10-04-2011, 10:16 PM
This is the best news I've heard in a while.

I like a starting OL of Starks-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert with Legursky and Jon Scott as gameday backups.

NJ-STEELER
10-04-2011, 10:17 PM
maybe the money is coming right from ben's salary under the table

SidSmythe
10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Post-Gazette is now reporting it

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11277/1179726-100.stm

Eddie Spaghetti
10-04-2011, 10:35 PM
this makes me happy.

Pahn711
10-04-2011, 10:43 PM

My money is on Jamon Meredith. It would be strange to cut a team captain, anyone remember the last time the Steelers (or any NFL team for that matter) have done that?

Snatch98
10-05-2011, 12:20 AM
This is the best news I've heard in a while.

I like a starting OL of Starks-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert with Legursky and Jon Scott as gameday backups.

It really is a huge signing, especially if he plays well. I had hoped one of the guys would return and I'm glad it's Max. I've also been impressed with Gilbert and once he's 100% healthy and continues to get game time under his belt he could really start to be a big difference maker. Hopefully the potential difficulty of playing without Harrison for a bit will light some fire under the ass of our defense. It's still way early and with our CB play as of late it's not all doom and gloom for me. (It's not my style anyway) We may also see the rookie CB's a bite soon, specifically Brown. We may have a "down year' this year BUT the Steelers certainly aren't down and out. We have youth at a lot of positions and it's promising youth. Big boost when Max returns.

fordfixer
10-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Starks nears deal to return
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 60241.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_760241.html)

The Steelers are close to re-signing Max Starks to fortify their injury-depleted offensive line, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review on Tuesday night.

Starks met with the Steelers last night and there are apparently no concerns about his weight, which had been an issue because of a neck injury that limited his workouts during the offseason. His listed weight is 345.
Starks was with the team since 2004 before the Steelers released him in late July.

He has started at both left and right tackle, and the seventh-year veteran held down the former position from early in 2008 until last November when he suffered a season-ending neck injury. It is not clear if Starks will challenge for a starting job or just provide depth.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday at his weekly news conference that left tackle Jonathan Scott is on track to return to the starting lineup after missing Sunday`s game against the Houston Texans because of a sprained ankle.

Starks worked out for the Minnesota Vikings last week. He met with the Steelers two days after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked five times in a 17-10 loss to the Texans.

Read more: Starks nears deal to return - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ZsXkf5Qh (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_760241.html#ixzz1ZsXkf5Qh)

fordfixer
10-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Max Starks Coming Back To Steelers?
October 4, 2011 10:28 PM
Share this
No comments
Max Starks says he will always bleed Black and Gold. (Credit: KDKA)

Max Starks says he will always bleed Black and Gold. (Credit: KDKA)
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/10/ ... -steelers/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/10/04/max-starks-coming-back-to-steelers/)

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ó Former Steelers offensive lineman Max Starks looks like heíll be rejoining the team as early as Wednesday.

Starks was on the South Side for an interview and physical Tuesday evening.

Heís reportedly down 40 pounds from when the Steelers saw him this summer when they decided to part ways with the two-time Super Bowl winning tackle.

If signed, heíll be back in the mix at either left or right tackle. Heís played both positions with the Steelers in his career.

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Steelers Reportedly Close To Re-Signing Max Starks

by Michael Bean on Oct 5, 2011

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2023362/74728_Steelers_Starks_Out_Football.jpg

Interesting news coming out of the Pittsburgh Steelers South Side facility on Tuesday evening. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazzette is reporting that the Steelers are set to re-sign veteran offensive tackle Max Starks. Though many fans might prefer that Flozell Adams were brought back, I don't think too many would argue that re-signing Starks is a wise move considering the dilapidated state of the Steelers' offensive line.

Still just 29 years old, Starks conceivably has plenty of good football left in him provided he's lost the weight that he was carrying this summer. I have heard from more than one source that the personalities of Mike Tomlin and Starks are not all that compatible.

There's, of course, a million examples like that between coaches and players over the year, but I think it helps explain why the Steelers opted to part ways with Starks this summer rather than trying to restructure his contract and keep him in the fold if at all possible.

Since Starks' release, Willie Colon has been lost for the year to injury. Jonathan Scott is also injured, though not seriously. But Scott's struggles against Terrell Suggs and Dwight Freeney had to have given Tomlin and the front office cold feet about whether he would be able to hold up over the course of a long season for a team that would like to believe it has championship aspirations.

Let's see first if Starks is in fact re-signed tomorrow or sometime soon this week before speculating too much further about what the transaction might mean for the offensive line. Provided he does, we'll have some interesting debate about who starts where -- Starks at left tackle with Scott slid over to the left side? Starks at left tackle with Gilbert starting at RT? Scott at LT with Starks at RT? Lots of possible scenarios really. And quite frankly, that's what the Steelers need right now -- the opportunity to tinker with different combinations right now before any more time passes. Find a combo that works, than perhaps it's not unrealistic to think that the line can establish some cohesion and continuity before the home stretch in late November and December.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... nsive-line (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/10/5/2470197/pittsburgh-steelers-news-max-starks-offensive-line)

TD386Steel
10-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Steelers In Discussion With Max Starks To Play Right tackle and provided depth. Not left per league sources.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... kle/43481/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/steelers-in-talks-with-max-starks-to-play-right-tackle/43481/)

Pahn711
10-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Part of me wonders why the Vikings didn't offer him a contract if he is truly back to form.

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Part of me wonders why the Vikings didn't offer him a contract if he is truly back to form.

the Vikings are 0-4. maybe they did offer Max a contract, but if you were Max who would you rather play for?

Pahn711
10-05-2011, 01:28 AM

the Vikings are 0-4. maybe they did offer Max a contract, but if you were Max who would you rather play for?

Thats assuming the Steelers were already in contact at the time or he had some reason to believe they were interested.

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2011, 01:37 AM

Thats assuming the Steelers were already in contact at the time or he had some reason to believe they were interested.

Max and Ben are good friends, I'll bet Ben has remained in contact with Max about re-signing with the Steelers.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6660/billboarda.jpg

fordfixer
10-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Starks could return to Steelers for depth
Posted on: October 5, 2011 12:05 am
Edited on: October 5, 2011 12:07 am
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports. ... 8/32519461 (http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32519461)

M. Starks was cut by Pittsburgh before the season for being overweight (US Presswire).Posted by Josh Katzowitz

With the Steelers offensive line continuing to struggle amid injuries and with Ben Roethlisberger dealing with a foot injury that forced him to use crutches after last Sundayís game, Pittsburgh is beginning to get desperate to fix the offensive front.

Thatís why, according to NFL.comís Jason La Canfora, the coaching staff worked out former Steelers tackle Max Starks, and according to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, heís expected to be signed. But the plan for now is for Starks not to be an immediate starter, and instead, he mostly will be used for depth.

Starks, of course, is the same guy who started at left tackle for Pittsburgh last year before a neck injury knocked him out for the season, reported overweight to camp this season and got axed by the Steelers before the beginning of the year. Apparently, heís lost 60 pounds since he was cut.

Now, the man who replaced Starks last year, Jonathan Scott, is injured, and if the Steelers re-sign Starks, he very well could return to his old position. But it also sounds like Scott, who missed the Houston game because of an ankle injury, could be back this week.

Which is good news for the Steelers, because, as the Beaver County Times points out, Pittsburgh is 11-3 when Scott is in the lineup.

Shoe
10-05-2011, 02:34 AM

It's because you have some form of objectivity. Which isn't to say that I'm disappointed that we evidently are going to bring Starks back. But people here are acting like this is some sort of coup. He is going to give up a bunch of sacks/pressures too.

If he really is a SOLID (just solid) LT... as you logically pointed out, it would certainly stand to reason that a team bring in a guy who's won two SBs and isn't even 30 yet. Truth is, he's not very good... he's average at best. Actually, he's probably below average (if you consider average to be in that middle range).

The sad thing is, I believe (like everyone here) that he is better than Scott and pretty much anyone else we can currently trot out there.

anger 82&95
10-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Per Alby Oxenreiter:

Breaking story: I've learned that Max Starks visited the #Steelers South Side facility this evening. Expect Starks to be signed soon. #WPXI

I never thought that I'd be so happy to hear that Starks may be a part of the team. Amazing how a few games started by Jon Scott and company can change your perspective...
Nice post and thanks for the update. Let's hope it makes a difference.

steelblood
10-05-2011, 07:07 AM
I hope he doesn't replace Gilbert, but I have a feeling he will. In all likelihood it will be a one year deal, I suppose.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-05-2011, 08:02 AM
It is official. They released C Scott who might be headed to the PS.

SidSmythe
10-05-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm guessing Starks has been lifting weights and doing drills but he's far from football shape i'm sure. It's going to take him at least 2 weeks to get back on his feet.

I am sure Ben has been in touch with him daily over the last few weeks.

Pure speculation by Smythe, but it's pretty darn good speculation

Oviedo
10-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm guessing Starks has been lifting weights and doing drills but he's far from football shape i'm sure. It's going to take him at least 2 weeks to get back on his feet.

:Agree He has not had contact in a year. He has a ways to go before he is ready to get thrown into the fire.

Chavezz
10-05-2011, 09:26 AM

:Agree He has not had contact in a year. He has a ways to go before he is ready to get thrown into the fire.

That's the way we do things here. Out of respect to the players we have here and the fact that it's going to take Starks a week or two to get "game" ready, he IS depth... For now.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-05-2011, 09:33 AM
They will be adding Tritan Davis RB to the PS and releasing DaMon Cromartie Smith too.

RuthlessBurgher
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
If they a dead set against putting Starks back at LT and will be re-inserting Jon Scott there, I wouldn't mind putting Starks back at RT (where he started in SBXL) as soon as he is ready to play (which folks have already stated may be a week or two), and then rookie Marcus Gilbert could potentially solve the problem that we have been having at RG seemingly forever. His first season as a starter in college was at RG, and he'd be playing right next to his former college teammate Maurkice Pouncey (the entire right side of our line would consist of 3 former Gators).

J. Scott-C. Kemoeatu-M. Pouncey-M. Gilbert-M. Starks. That is a lot of beef.

In this case, I suppose that D. Legursky and T. Essex would be gameday backups, and R. Foster and J. Meredith would be inactive more often than not.

Steelerphile
10-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I could see Starks playing this week. Jon Scott is more than likely not close to 100%, even if he is active. I don't know if anyone watched Essex's performance but I thought he was embarrassingly poor and worse than Scott, even though he didn't get criticized nearly as much as Scott did for his play the week before.

I personally think Scott carried a sprain or some type of ankle or leg issue into the season, because I think he could play better than he has. He was injured during the preseason.

So Starks' healthy set of legs, even if they aren't in football shape, could be called on soon.