PDA

View Full Version : New Defense?

l3tstalkbeer
10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
New to the board and I wanted to start off with a good post. Me and some of my buddies have brought this up about harrisons injury and what the new defense means.

Everybody has been talking about a youth movement on both sides of the ball. The defense is sure older than the O but with the injuries to the D we did get a bit younger. The line next week will showcase Hood more and even some of heyward because kiesel might not be full go. Mcfadden could be back but gay has not been horrible and lewis has held is own on the outside. I think mcfadden might have a tough time getting back into action due to his lack of playing time from injury.

The linebacker core is what im more concerned about. With harrison out, we lose a viable pass rusher. Next week timmons is playing rolb and this could be good or bad. It can be bad because he has been playin ilb for the majority of his career and is not established at olb. I think lebeau can whip something good up though for him. He has the ability to rush or play coverage now. He can still run down the middle to clog the lanes. Now enter Foote who has not played bad but still is not the old foote. I think sylvester should get a shot with foote rather than farrior. I like farrior but man he is just not playing well. If you start foote, sylvester,timmons, and woodley the defense now is much younger and more athletic.

grotonsteel
10-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Welecome to the board..!!!

I would not mind a 4-3 Defense against Titans since Harrison is injured. I don't think LB is Steelers strength now. I think time to get some pass rushing DE on the field and create Havoc on Hasselback and company. I want to see violent Steelers D.

D-Line: Hood-McClendon-Hampton-Kiesel
LB: woodley-Timmons-Foote
CB- Ike Taylor-Keenan Lewis
S- Troy-Ryan Clark

RuthlessBurgher
10-04-2011, 03:34 PM

I would not mind a 4-3 Defense against Titans since Harrison is injured. I don't think LB is Steelers strength now. I think time to get some pass rushing DE on the field and create Havoc on Hasselback and company. I want to see violent Steelers D.

S- Troy-Ryan Clark

In a 4-3, Woodley would be DE, not an OLB.

grotonsteel
10-04-2011, 04:16 PM

S- Troy-Ryan Clark

Dang there goes my scheme... :HeadBanger

fordfixer
10-05-2011, 12:49 AM
New to the board and I wanted to start off with a good post. Me and some of my buddies have brought this up about harrisons injury and what the new defense means.

Everybody has been talking about a youth movement on both sides of the ball. The defense is sure older than the O but with the injuries to the D we did get a bit younger. The line next week will showcase Hood more and even some of heyward because kiesel might not be full go. Mcfadden could be back but gay has not been horrible and lewis has held is own on the outside. I think mcfadden might have a tough time getting back into action due to his lack of playing time from injury.

The linebacker core is what im more concerned about. With harrison out, we lose a viable pass rusher. Next week timmons is playing rolb and this could be good or bad. It can be bad because he has been playin ilb for the majority of his career and is not established at olb. I think lebeau can whip something good up though for him. He has the ability to rush or play coverage now. He can still run down the middle to clog the lanes. Now enter Foote who has not played bad but still is not the old foote. I think sylvester should get a shot with foote rather than farrior. I like farrior but man he is just not playing well. If you start foote, sylvester,timmons, and woodley the defense now is much younger and more athletic.

Welcome to the Planet :tt1

hawaiiansteel
10-05-2011, 01:05 AM
New to the board and I wanted to start off with a good post.

Welcome to the Planet :tt1

and you did start off with a good post... :Clap

I second fordfixer's sentiments, welcome! :Cheers

Jooser
10-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Welcome aboard. I don't thing you're too far off base with your first post. The way things are going, who knows, that way may be the wave of the future.

steelblood
10-05-2011, 07:12 AM

S- Troy-Ryan Clark

yeah, wood is slooow. Sylvestor would be an awesome 4-3 outside LBer.

ramblinjim
10-05-2011, 08:21 AM
We keep playing the run like last week, we're going to run a 5-2-4. :HeadBanger

And welcome to the Planet! :Cheers

Oviedo
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM
A little innovation on defense would not be a bad thing. Hpow about:

1. Putting Woodley with his hands on the ground occaisionally and giving a 4-3 look
2. Flipping Harrison and Woodley during games and between series to give the offense something different to deal with

Unfortunately, as long as Lebeau is the DC we have a template he will follow to include big cushions to WRs. When the opposing team game plans aganist us they pretty well know exactly what they will see on defense.

RuthlessBurgher
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM

Today's 3-4 emerged out of the old 5-2. If you think about it, the formations aren't all that much different, with Woodley and Harrison lined up right on the line of scrimmage(albeit standing up instead of with their hand in the dirt) on the outside shoulders of Smith and Keisel.

feltdizz
10-05-2011, 10:31 AM

1. Putting Woodley with his hands on the ground occaisionally and giving a 4-3 look
2. Flipping Harrison and Woodley during games and between series to give the offense something different to deal with

Unfortunately, as long as Lebeau is the DC we have a template he will follow to include big cushions to WRs. When the opposing team game plans aganist us they pretty well know exactly what they will see on defense.

I've seen the cushion shrink at times and I've also seen Troy 40 deep. LOL..

I wouldn't mind mixing up the front 7. I would also like to see McClendon get more run... is he still on the team?

papillon
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM

The 5-2-4 really is the 3-4 defense. The University of Pittsburgh played the 5-2-4 in the mid to late 70s. You have the road grader NT, two stout Dts and 2 very athletic DEs/OLBs.

For the Panthers, Jerry Boyarsky was the NT (they actually referred to this position as Middle Guard), Hugh Green and Ricky Jackson were the DEs/OLBs and Greg Meisner and someone I can't remember were the DTs. This was probably circa 1978/1979.

Pappy

steelblood
10-05-2011, 12:07 PM

No offense, but we've played more press coverage from the playoffs last season to now than at any time in the last 5 years. They still do play some off man, but at least they change it up and you can't depend on the "big cushion." I really get tired of seeing folks complain about the cushion these days, because frankly, it just isn't entirely true.