PDA

View Full Version : Harrison, orbital fracture

JAR
10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Out for weeks. Memo, doubtful. Mendy and Ben questionable. Smitty likely out.

JAR
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Also, Worilds probably out.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
bad bad news.

time to start earning those gamechecks Mr. Timmons and Mr. Woodley.

SteelBucks
10-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Yep, listening now. The injury report is long.

Timmons will move to the outside and Foote will take Timmons' spot on the inside.

RuthlessBurgher
10-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Timmons will move to the outside and Foote will take Timmons' spot on the inside.

This week, our starting ILB's, Foote and Farrior, are both tortoises. And the RB they need to stop, Chris Johnson, is undoubtedly a hare. Not good. Not good at all.

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Dee Dub
10-04-2011, 12:21 PM

And with Farrior and Foote inside you can expect teams to be able to run the ball even better. Neither of these two are very good at the point of attack. It's one thing for one of your ILB's getting engulfed but to have two is a huge problem.

Top ten pick 2012 NFL draft. We need to hit a huge home run with that.

SteelBucks
10-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Harrison out several weeks with orbital fracture
Tuesday, October 04, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker James Harrison has an orbital fracture around his right eye, will undergo surgery on Wednesday and will be out "a number of weeks," according to Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

He's not the only one.

Tomlin said at his weekly newsconference today that Aaron Smith has a mid-foot sprain and is extremely questionable for Sunday's game against Tennessee at Heinz Field. Jason Worilds, who backs up Harrison, has a quad strain that makes him doubtful for the game as well.

Halfback Mewelde Moore has a left ankle sprain that may keep him out of the game and starting halfback Rashard Mendenhall has a right hamstring that will at the very least limit him in practice.

The Steelers worked out at least one running back today, a candidate to help them on the practice squad if they have to sign rookie halfback John Clay from that unit.

There was some good news on the injury front. Tomlin said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a sprained left foot that may limit him in practice but the Steelers "anticipate him participating" in the game on Sunday.

Also, Tomlin said players who have been out with injuries should return this week, including guard Doug Legrusky, tackle Jonathan Scott and cornerback Bryant McFadden.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/11277/117967 ... z1ZpZPTMMv (http://post-gazette.com/pg/11277/1179676-100.stm#ixzz1ZpZPTMMv)

Eddie Spaghetti
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure this is the week to throw sly into the mix.

foote may be the better option.

ugh.

NW Steeler
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Jeezus. Could this season get any worse? Let's be realistic people. This will be a lost season. Those come along once in a while. The 2012 draft will be huge. They all are, but this one will carry even more weight since we will most likely be picking higher than we have in years.

Shawn
10-04-2011, 12:35 PM
I do hope we get to see a bit of Sly in this game. How much worse can he be than Foote?

SteelBucks
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I never thought I'd be happy to see the day when slow footed Jonathan Scott returns from injury.

feltdizz
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Call me crazy but I think this is a good thing. Not the injury but it seems like we play better when our backs are against the wall.

We sure have a ton of injuries though... Old bones are brittle.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
i don't know shawn, i assume he will play some.

but against CJ2K, one missed assignment and he will run to knoxville.

Leper Friend
10-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Also, Tomlin said players who have been out with injuries should return this week, including guard Doug Legrusky, tackle Jonathan Scott and cornerback Bryant McFadden.

Even this is bad news. I don't mind Scott coming back but Lewis is better than McFadden and imo Foster is a better option at RG than Legursky.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Harrison via Twitter: “My forehead pad in my helmet came down and hit me in the eye when I made contact with the tackle.”

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-10-04/FBNharrison-g.jpg

Dee Dub
10-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I will say this.....we may get to see Lawrence Timmons at his very best. He is much better suited outside with his seed than inside in my opinion. This may be exactly what he was made for all along.

fezziwig
10-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I will say this.....we may get to see Lawrence Timmons at his very best. He is much better suited outside with his seed than inside in my opinion. This may be exactly what he was made for all along.

I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see Lawerence on the outside but, I'm not going to allow one game color my opinion of how he performs this weekend.

Farrior and Foote got to go. Woodley, Harrison on the ends and Timmons in the middle would cause teams fits. Timmons and Woodley on the ends and Harrison in the middle would be brutal on offenses too in my opinion.

I'm surprised no troll came to the board yet and claimed Harrison caused his damage by head hunting.
Anytime our guys get injured I hear crap like that from the trolls and out of town skanks.

Oh well, hopefully James will heal 100% with his eye and back and be in good shape for the playoffs.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Oh well, hopefully James will heal 100% with his eye and back and be in good shape for the playoffs.

if there is a silver lining in all of this, perhaps the couple of weeks off for Deebo will allow his back to heal and he can remain healthy for the remainder of the season.

Chadman
10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Steelers will finish with double-digit wins.

Far too early to be writing the season off.

Here's betting Troy gets CJ-duty this week.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Top ten pick 2012 NFL draft. We need to hit a huge home run with that.

in order for the Steelers to be be selecting in the top ten of the 2012 NFL draft we would most likely have to have a record of 6-10 or worse.

our last seven games on the schedule are all very winnable. if Ben got hurt and/or we continued to be devastated by injuries going 6-10 might be possible, but otherwise there's no way we only win 4 more games out of our last 12.

fezziwig
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't finish 7-9 or 8-8

Shawn
10-05-2011, 10:38 AM
i don't know shawn, i assume he will play some.

but against CJ2K, one missed assignment and he will run to knoxville.

Tru dat. But, I'll tell you from a athleticism standpoint...I believe Sly has it. I don't know if he is ready from a knowledge standpoint but I would love to find out.

Shawn
10-05-2011, 10:38 AM

I would be utterly shocked if we dont make 10 wins...even with this OL.

papillon
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
What has anyone seen that leads you to beli3eve that this year's version of the Steelers can look at the schedule and say there's 7 or 8 wins on the schedule? I would be less surprised with 6 wins than I would with 10 or 11. This team is just not very good right now and they just lost a defensive force for at least a month.

Ben may play this weekend, but he isn't going to be 100%. Another shot to the ankle/leg could put him out for weeks. Does anyone really believe that Ben is going to get through a game without getting hit?

I'd love to know where all the optimism for this team comes form right now. CJ loves to get to the edge and use his speed; JH isn't playing he seals an edge as good as anyone in the game, Woodley has been abused in the run game. This doesn't bode well for this team right now, unless, some of their defensive stars start to play better.

Harrison's replacement will be a guy who has played inside since he's been a starter or a rookie; either way, I think the Titans will attack that side of the field to see how Timmons or Worilds will hold up.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Pap is 100% correct guys. Nobody knows where this team is headed. Looking at the schedule regardless who is on it...take in consideration the team we saw take the field the first 4 games...There has to be an extreme amount of improvement needed just to hit a 10-6 record.

The Steelers will struggle this week to keep it close, they could very well be swept by the Ravens, and there are no signs of us keeping up with the Patriots. Mix in the fact there is still 4 home & away division games left on the schedule. A trip to Arrowhead where the Steelers always seem to find a way to lose, A coast to coast trip against the 49ers who are playing young inspired football, and add in a trip to the desert to visit Arizona.

I'm the biggest fan here and only liked one football team since I started wearing diapers...And I'm tellling you they better be playing every down like it is for their job or they will miss the playoffs. There is no reason for being optimistic just by looking at the schedule, seeing their play over the first 4 games, and the injuries that have piled up.

However.....The only thing I feel "optimistic" in saying right now is if Starks is healthy and can give us the Starks we know when he gets in shape....The OL troubles could start to fade. Gilbert will only continue to get better and Scott, believe it or not, is a welcome addition back to the line-up. If they can stay healthy, we went from forced plug & play to competition for a starting spot and that my friends is a medicine I can't stress enough. One of Scott/Starks/Gilbert will push the others at OT and now that I see the Steelers decided on Meredith over C Scott...I would say Meredith could be added to the G/OT competion once he gets the playbook down. So step one, get the OL better and that could lead to some optimism of a playoff caliber team. It seems if the offense is running on all cylinders, we can put the points up to keep pace until the defensive struggles get solved.

Ghost
10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I'd love it if this didn't come to fruition but the Steelers could somewhat easily lose 5 (6) more games - Titans (if Ben is out or considerably slowed), NE, Balt, and a split of the series with Cle and Cincy is really not out of the question. The 49's are not the "gimme" some folks think either.

As to Harrison - How tough is this guy? He played the 4th Q with his eye socket broken :shock:

papillon
10-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I'd love it if this didn't come to fruition but the Steelers could somewhat easily lose 5 (6) more games - Titans (if Ben is out or considerably slowed), NE, Balt, and a split of the series with Cle and Cincy is really not out of the question. The 49's are not the "gimme" some folks think either.

As to Harrison - How tough is this guy? He played the 4th Q with his eye socket broken :shock:

James Harrison will have a place in my memories similar to Lambert, Greene, Ham and Blount. He was born 4 decades too late. He plays with a 70s Steelers attitude every down he's on the field.

Pappy

fezziwig
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM

I would be utterly shocked if we dont make 10 wins...even with this OL.

Shawn I hope your right but, they have too much going against them.

Aging players
Injured players
Inexperienced players
Second string players trying to be first stringers
Players that just look lost
Players playing out of position
A team giving up turnovers
A team not getting turnpvers
Many missed tackles
An offensive cord that has an IQ of a cold cup of coffee
A head coach that can't change things
A defensive cord that can't figure out how to stop the offenses
A front office that continues to overlook needed upgrades with the personale

That's a lot of stuff to repair and still win eight more games. And the worse part, more injuries are bound to happen.

steelz09
10-05-2011, 02:23 PM

James Harrison will have a place in my memories similar to Lambert, Greene, Ham and Blount. He was born 4 decades too late. He plays with a 70s Steelers attitude every down he's on the field.

Pappy

I agree .... with the collisions in the NFL, could you imagine how painful each hit must have been with a broken orbital bone.. yikes!

JAR
10-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Pappy

I agree .... with the collisions in the NFL, could you imagine how painful each hit must have been with a broken orbital bone.. yikes!

He's posting pics from the recovery room. :)

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg859/scaled.php?tn=0&server=859&filename=mh3nf.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
I feel like a pirate. Lmao

Discipline of Steel
10-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Pappy

He is one of those special Steelers.

tiproast
10-05-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm surprised no troll came to the board yet and claimed Harrison caused his damage by head hunting.
Anytime our guys get injured I hear crap like that from the trolls and out of town skanks.

Not everyone that's a fan of another team conforms to your stereotypes.

I live in California, and last Sunday was an atypical day - the Steelers game was the early game and the Patriots game was the late game. Normally we get see West Coast teams and Broncos - not very good football the last few years.

One observation from the Steelers game - it looked to me as if Polamalu was flying all over the field. He had an excellent game for the most part, in my opinion. I wonder, though, how long his body can stand up to that style of play.

fezziwig
10-06-2011, 10:09 AM
To me Troy, seems more injured or banged up more than he is healthy. Maybe it just seems that way because, when he's not healthy the defense seems to be so pedestrian without him. He does play body and soul and his injuries seem to show up/slow him down every other season.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM

Not everyone that's a fan of another team conforms to your stereotypes.

I live in California, and last Sunday was an atypical day - the Steelers game was the early game and the Patriots game was the late game. Normally we get see West Coast teams and Broncos - not very good football the last few years.

One observation from the Steelers game - it looked to me as if Polamalu was flying all over the field. He had an excellent game for the most part, in my opinion. I wonder, though, how long his body can stand up to that style of play.

Just what I expected an out of town skank like you to say. :wink:

tiproast
10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
I've been a huge disappointment to my friends and family, and sadly, the prospects for improvement are dim.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I've been a huge disappointment to my friends and family, and sadly, the prospects for improvement are dim.

Luckily, though, you've found an internet home where skanks like us can be accepted for what we truly are. :lol:

fordfixer
10-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Back to future: Steelers' Timmons returns to OLB

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/nfl/20 ... eturns-olb (http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2011/10/back-future-steelers-timmons-returns-olb)

By:The Associated Press | 10/06/11 2:57 PM
The Associated Press.

Before Lawrence Timmons became a $50 million inside linebacker in the NFL, he was a star outside linebacker in college, a player the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted as the heir apparent to All-Pro Joey Porter on the outside.
For the time being, at least, Timmons is heading back to his future as the next in the lineage of great outside linebackers the Steelers have produced.
With James Harrison out for several weeks due to a broken orbital bone around his right eye, Timmons will start in his place at right outside linebacker. Veteran Larry Foote will return to the starting spot he occupied for five seasons in Pittsburgh: Timmons' gig at right inside linebacker.
The Steelers maintain there isn't all that much of a transition for Timmons to make. His transition was from the outside to the inside when he began his NFL career.
The Steelers (2-2) play Tennessee (3-1) on Sunday.
"He'll be fine — he never played inside linebacker until he got here," veteran safety Ryan Clark noted. "That was his original position, a position he was really drafted to play until James Harrison became James Harrison. And then we had to find somewhere else to put him."
That was in the inside in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense — ironically, originally to replace Foote, who asked to be released after the Steelers' victory in the 2009 Super Bowl. Foote had started every game for Pittsburgh at the position from 2004-08, but at the time, he saw the writing on the wall with the team and Timmons.
The Steelers drafted Timmons with their first-round pick in 2007 — the team's first draft choice with Mike Tomlin as coach — and the 6-foot-1, 234-pound linebacker with 4.6 speed had shown enough with his freakish athleticism at that point that it was obvious the Steelers needed to find a place for him.
With Harrison winning the AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year award in 2008 and LaMarr Woodley — drafted a round after Timmons in 2007 — having had 11 1-2 sacks in his first season as a starter, the only place the Steelers had for Timmons was on the inside.
"The good thing about him is ever since we've had him, we've played him at both positions," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "He's going to be fast wherever you put him. He's a fast player."
Timmons' quickness and athleticism allow him to be versatile enough that the Steelers brought back Foote after he spent one season with the Detroit Lions. Foote was signed as a backup to both Timmons and the other inside linebacker, veteran James Farrior.
Foote, who has received significant snaps in lieu of James Farrior this season, also signed with the understanding that injuries to either of the outside backers would result in him starting — a scenario made possible by the fact that Timmons would move to the outside if such a case arose.
"The advantage is a lot of teams have two coaches for inside and outside linebackers; our coach (Keith Butler), he coaches both of them," Foote said. "So you're hearing the corrections for the outside, and everybody's hearing ours and vice versa. That helps us.
"But the main thing is that Lawrence has the God-given ability that he's able to do that, play both and be that person."
Timmons had an all-around season in his second as a starter in 2010, when Pittsburgh made its third Super Bowl appearance in six years. He led the team in tackles, had three sacks, two interceptions, nine passes defended and two forced fumbles.
In LeBeau's 3-4 scheme, the outside linebackers are more likely to rush the passer than rack up a high volume of tackles. Timmons had a career-high seven sacks in 2009.
"I'm pretty comfortable with this because I've been playing the whole week at outside, and me and the coaches have been sprucing up the little things that I haven't seen in a while," Timmons said. "Obviously, the more reps you get, the more you're going to see. But I've started at outside linebacker before, so I am sure I will be fine."
Timmons filled in for Harrison and Woodley a game each in 2008, and he has spelled them at times when either has left a game early due to injury. LeBeau estimated that Timmons has "probably six or seven games" worth of experience on the outside.
"I know what to expect," said Timmons, who signed a six-year, $50 million contract with the Steelers in August. "In the NFL, you never know. I've played the majority of the time at inside linebacker, but I'm an unselfish person willing to do whatever for the team. If I just play my assignment, I'll be fine."
He had better be if the Steelers' defense is to return to its typically dominant form after a subpar start to the season. Although Pittsburgh still ranks No. 2 in the NFL in total yards, the defense has only forced one turnover and has allowed two 100-yard-plus running backs through four games. The Steelers had allowed just one over the previous 50 regular-season games.
Second-year linebacker Jason Worilds (quadriceps) is also expected to miss Sunday's game, leaving only rookie Chris Carter as an option at outside linebacker behind Timmons.
"(The season is) not going as well as I would like it to be, but it's still early," Timmons said. "I'm working hard, and we're a lot closer than people think. So, I'm still optimistic, and I think everything will work out."
___
Notes: Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said that Doug Legursky would start at left guard in place of Chris Kemoeatu (knee). Legursky did not play last week due to a shoulder injury, but Ramon Foster was effective enough as a fill-in at right guard that he will start there this week. ... LT Max Starks, signed Tuesday, played the majority of the snaps with the first-team offense during practice, a teammate said. ... LeBeau indicated that CBs William Gay and Keenan Lewis will continue to get significant playing time in lieu of CB Bryant McFadden, the starter at the position who missed time with a hamstring injury but is healthy now.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/nfl/20 ... z1a3VmInfA (http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2011/10/back-future-steelers-timmons-returns-olb#ixzz1a3VmInfA)

Shoe
10-06-2011, 11:19 PM

if there is a silver lining in all of this, perhaps the couple of weeks off for Deebo will allow his back to heal and he can remain healthy for the remainder of the season.

Yup, that's what I was thinking.

And like other said, here's hoping Timmons takes the role (outside) and runs with it like we know he can. (He's built just like a mini-defensive end anyway.) Same goes with Redman on the other side of the ball.

And let's hope the coaches realize the weakness in the middle of the D now, and actively try to get the lead and take the run option away from Tennessee, thus limiting the time we need to go base defense.

fordfixer
10-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Timmons ready to step outside

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 8, 2011

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 60850.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_760850.html)

Dick LeBeau has been around long enough to know that moving from inside to outside linebacker in his 3-4 zone-blitzing scheme will be a "significant adjustment" for Lawrence Timmons.

Timmons isn't about to disagree with the significance of the move for Sunday's game against Tennessee at Heinz Field, but he isn't buying the adjustment part.

"It is easier for me because I've done it before," Timmons said.

With James Harrison out several weeks with a broken orbital bone that required surgery, the Steelers will shift their leading tackler from a year ago from inside linebacker to outside, which he played regularly in college.

"He has true game experience outside," LeBeau said. "He has played outside linebacker in the National Football League and just not a snap or two. We feel good about the experience factor there."

The Steelers envisioned Timmons as an outside linebacker and the heir to Joey Porter when they drafted him in the first round in 2007 out of Florida State.

That plan was scrapped when Harrison emerged as a defensive-player-of-the-year-caliber outside linebacker and LaMarr Woodley, the second-round pick in 2007, asserted himself as franchise-type player by his second season.

Timmons had nowhere to go but inside with a contingency plan of moving him outside if needed. That contingency plan goes into effect Sunday against the surprising Titans (3-1).

"He'll be fine," safety Ryan Clark said. "That was his original position, a position he was really drafted to play until James Harrison became James Harrison."

In his first year as a starter last season, Timmons led the team in tackles, and had three sacks and two interceptions. He signed a five-year, $50 million contract in August.

"I know you can't replace Harrison, but there isn't any drop-off with Timmons," inside linebacker James Farrior said.

Timmons started twice at outside linebacker in 2008, once for Woodley and once for Harrison.

Read more: Timmons ready to step outside - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1aAROXtFE (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_760850.html#ixzz1aAROXtFE)

fordfixer
10-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Steelers' Foote stepping back into starting role

Saturday, October 08, 2011

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11281/1180578-66.stm

The previous time Larry Foote walked onto the field as a starter, he walked off a loser. That was in 2009, when he experienced 14 losses as a member of the Detroit Lions.

The most-recent time Foote walked onto the field a starter as a member of the Steelers, he walked off a Super Bowl champion.

The Steelers are hoping to recapture some of that old magic with Foote back in their starting lineup for the first time in 32 months when they play Tennessee Sunday afternoon at Heinz Field.

Foote, who has played nine of his 10 professional seasons with the Steelers, will start at inside linebacker in place of Lawrence Timmons, who is the new starting outside linebacker with James Harrison out of the lineup with a fractured orbital bone.

The Steelers re-signed Foote before last season for this very reason -- as an insurance policy for their high-priced linebacker corps. They went through their Super Bowl season last year without needing his services as a starter because the four linebackers stayed injury-free. Now they're counting on him to regain the form that earned him a starting job in this defense from 2004-08.

"Injuries are a part of the game," said Foote, a starter in Super Bowl XL and XLIII. "It's part of the reason the coaches brought me back, just in case anyone goes down. They knew we could move Timmons [to outside linebacker]. That's why they wanted me to come back. I'm just trying to get my feet wet again."

Foote left the Steelers after Super Bowl XLIII because he did not want to play in a reserve role. The Steelers had invested their '07 first-round draft pick in Timmons and moved him into the starting lineup in '09.

Foote departed for the Lions, who were 0-16 in 2008. Even though he was playing for his hometown team, Foote was not happy and jumped at the opportunity to sign again with the Steelers.

After playing mostly on special teams last season, Foote earned more time on defense this season as the coaching staff tried to spell aging starter James Farrior.

"I'm glad he's out there," said Farrior, who started alongside Foote from 2004-08. "I'm glad we have the opportunity to play together again. He's a good player. He's been around the league a long time. It will be good to have his big mouth back out there.

"I think more than anything else, he will bring energy to the field. He's a veteran leader. He's bringing leadership out there. Not that we're lacking leadership, but we just need a little bit more."

Foote enters the starting lineup as the Steelers are struggling. They are giving up 119.5 yards rushing per game, almost twice as much as last season.

Last week against Houston, the Steelers allowed an opening 19-play, 95-yard scoring drive to the Texans and a 42-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter to Arian Foster, who finished with 155 yards rushing.

Foster was the second running back to rush for more than 100 yards against the Steelers in the first four games. Ray Rice of Baltimore rushed for 107 yards.

"Anytime you get an opportunity to play a significant amount of time in this league, it's big," said Foote, who was drafted out of Michigan in the fourth round in 2002. "I'm excited. I'm geeked up. It's always an honor to start in this league, especially for an organization like the Pittsburgh Steelers. And what a great time to start again. We're having problems against the run. As a linebacker, that excites you. We have a big challenge this week with the Titans."

Chris Johnson, the NFL rushing champion in 2009, is coming off a 101-yard performance in a victory against the Browns. It was his first 100-yard game of the season.

The Steelers have done a good job containing Johnson in past meetings, but they'll be lining up against him this time without Harrison and defensive linemen Aaron Smith (foot) and Casey Hampton (shoulder), who also have been ruled out.

The longer the Steelers struggle to shut down opposing offenses the louder those rumblings about the defense being old will become.

"They've been saying it the last five years," Foote said. "In other years we shut them up. It was much quieter during the season. This year, it's taking a little longer than the other years. There's a lot of football left. Starting this week, we're going to show them. We're just a little rusty. But no one cares about us talking about that. They want to see it."

Starks expects to start

Veteran offensive lineman Max Starks, who has three practices under his belt after being signed Tuesday, expects to be in the starting lineup against the Titans. Starks, who missed the second half of last season with a neck injury, would replace Jonathan Scott at left tackle.

Starks, who was released just before training camp, said he took the majority of repetitions in practice this week. Scott missed last week's game against Houston with an ankle injury, but participated in practices this week.

"I think it's been a good week," Starks said following Friday's practice. "I think I will have a shot of running with the [starters]. A game versus a practice is a little bit different, a little more energy. We'll monitor it as the game goes on, monitor snaps. We may do some things to make sure I'm fully acclimated, so I'm not getting thrown completely into the fire."

Kemoeatu ruled out

In addition to Smith and Hampton being ruled out, starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee), reserve running back Mewelde Moore (ankle) and reserve linebacker Jason Worilds (quadriceps) will not play.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall (hamstring) is questionable as is reserve defensive back Cortez Allen (ankle). Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (foot) is listed as probable.

Doug Legursky will start at left guard for Kemoeatu. Ziggy Hood is expected to start in place of Smith at left defensive end. Brett Keisel, who is returning from a knee injury, will start at right defensive end. Chris Hoke or Steve McClendon will start in place of Hampton at nose tackle.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11281/11 ... z1aATQTYoh (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11281/1180578-66.stm#ixzz1aATQTYoh)

papillon
10-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Harrison out, Foote and Farrior playing with little or no substitutes, Hampton out and Ben hobbling just to walk and for some unknown reason Bryant Mcfadden has earned a start this week.

Steeler fans need to do a lot of http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.com/forum/images/smilies/pope.gif for this one to have a positive outcome.

Pappy

Slapstick
10-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm not a big Herm Edwards fan, but he did pick the Steelers to upset the Titans this week...

:tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

:tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Harrison out, Foote and Farrior playing with little or no substitutes, Hampton out and Ben hobbling just to walk and for some unknown reason Bryant Mcfadden has earned a start this week.

Steeler fans need to do a lot of http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.com/forum/images/smilies/pope.gif for this one to have a positive outcome.

Pappy

Those two old guys will have to come out for breathers, I mean even the prime starters aren't every down players, right?

I looked on the roster - Sly, Chris Carter, and Worilds are the only other LBs available, as far as I can tell. A rook and two 2nd years. This is the stuff legends are made of!!

Shawn
10-19-2011, 04:49 PM
This is one of those posts that I would love to revisit at the end of the season. We as fans tend to be reactionary. Some of the reasons given for our "falling from grace" is our team being "old". I prefer to call them savy veterans who know how to win at the highest of levels. These kinds of teams sometimes start slow (especially with a short preseason) but tend to end strong.

Yup, I stick with my original posts. I will be utterly shocked if the Steelers don't win 10 games.

Discipline of Steel
10-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Dear shenglu please refer to Ruthlessburgher's signature...and go peddle your flashlights elsewhere.

So does anyone know if we can hope to expect James Harrison to return to the lineup anytime soon? Would love to see him plant TB* but realize thats probably a stretch.

hawaiiansteel
10-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Wednesday news and notes

OCTOBER 26, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

Got to the bottom of Chris Hoke being out two weeks with a stinger.

The issue is that the stinger is the second in a close period of time for Hoke and the nerve sheath still hasn't regenerated.

It will be an issue for Hoke for the remainder of the season.

Meanwhile, James Harrison is getting closer to a return. He said he's still experiencing some light sensitivity and will wear a visor when he does come back.

The biggest issue for Harrison is his vision.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

focosteeler
10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Wednesday news and notes

OCTOBER 26, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

The issue is that the stinger is the second in a close period of time for Hoke and the nerve sheath still hasn't regenerated.

Meanwhile, James Harrison is getting closer to a return. He said he's still experiencing some light sensitivity and will wear a visor when he does come back.

i hope he gets a clear one so the other team can still see his deathstare

BradshawsHairdresser
10-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Wednesday news and notes

OCTOBER 26, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

i hope he gets a clear one so the other team can still see his deathstare

I hope he gets one that makes him look like Darth Vader.

hawaiiansteel
10-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Harrison likely out few more weeks

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 27, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-10-26/1027stharrison-a.jpg

Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison is expected to be out for several more games.

James Harrison is getting antsy being a spectator.

Asked Wednesday if he had circled a date for returning from an eye injury that kept him out the past three games, Harrison said: "Today, last week, the week before, the week before that."

The Steelers All-Pro linebacker likely will have to wait at least a few more weeks to get on the field after having facial surgery to repair a fractured right orbital bone about three weeks ago.

"When the doctor tells me I can come back, I'll come," Harrison said. "I am going on doctors' orders."

Harrison suffered the broken orbital bone Oct. 2 during the second half against Houston when Duane Brown slammed into his helmet.

Harrison missed two series before returning. It was later revealed he broke a bone.

"I had double vision when it first happened," Harrison said. "There was a possibility that I could've lost my sight, but I got lucky, I guess."

Harrison said his double vision has dissipated, but he still is sensitive to light. He said he will likely wear a tinted visor when he returns.

Until then, Harrison has to wait for doctors to give him the go.

"I guess some things have to scar up and give it time to cover over," Harrison said. "It takes away the chance of infection and some other stuff."

Harrison had missed only one game since becoming a starter in 2007. He sat out the season finale in 2008 against Cleveland with a hip injury.

"Everything happens for a reason -- good, bad or indifferent," Harrison said. "I am just going to deal with it and move on."

The Steelers have won three straight since Harrison's injury, and their defense has moved up to third overall.

LaMarr Woodley has picked up the slack since Harrison's injury with 5 1/2 sacks.

"That's what I expect," Harrison said.

Harrison said he has been impressed with how Lawrence Timmons has held down the position in his absence.

"He is playing the position the way it needs to be played," Harrison said. "That's all we can ask. He's an inside backer."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1bwrv5Y3P (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_764008.html#ixzz1bwrv5Y3P)