PDA

View Full Version : Are we really this new to football?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Have we not seen enough football over the years to not know what is the biggest problem here? Really?

Plain and simple here. As a matter of fact, it is pretty amazing that we are actually 2-2. We are -2.5 turnovers per game, a full turnover worse than the 31st place team.

The top 10 teams on this list are a combined 31-9. The bottom 10 are a combined 15-25.

Sure, we got shredded on the ground by a good Houston team in their house, but we only lost by 7. A little bit of turnover magic could have changed the momentum of that game and helped us eke out a road win. Winning teams cause turnovers, losing teams are the ones who cough them up.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/team ... 11/regular (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TURNOVERS/2011/regular)

Team G Tot Int Fum Tot Int Fum Diff
Detroit 4 11 7 4 3 3 0 8
San Francisco 4 11 6 5 3 1 2 8
Baltimore 4 14 6 8 7 3 4 7
Buffalo 4 11 8 3 4 4 0 7
Green Bay 4 11 8 3 5 3 2 6
New England 4 9 7 2 5 5 0 4
New York (N) 4 8 4 4 4 2 2 4
Houston 4 7 4 3 4 3 1 3
Chicago 4 7 3 4 5 4 1 2
Tennessee 4 7 5 2 5 3 2 2
Indianapolis 4 7 3 4 6 1 5 1
Oakland 4 6 3 3 5 3 2 1
Tampa Bay 4 6 2 4 5 4 1 1
Cleveland 4 5 3 2 4 3 1 1
Atlanta 4 8 6 2 8 4 4 0
Minnesota 4 3 3 0 3 2 1 0
New York (A) 4 10 6 4 10 5 5 0
Washington 4 6 3 3 7 5 2 -1
St. Louis 4 5 3 2 6 1 5 -1
Cincinnati 4 4 1 3 5 4 1 -1
Arizona 4 6 4 2 7 4 3 -1
Carolina 4 4 2 2 6 5 1 -2
Jacksonville 4 5 5 0 7 6 1 -2
New Orleans 4 3 2 1 6 4 2 -3
Seattle 4 2 2 0 6 4 2 -4
Dallas 4 6 4 2 10 7 3 -4
San Diego 4 4 4 0 8 6 2 -4
Kansas City 4 5 5 0 10 5 5 -5
Miami 4 2 2 0 7 5 2 -5
Denver 4 5 2 3 11 6 5 -6
Philadelphia 4 4 2 2 10 5 5 -6
Pittsburgh 4 1 0 1 11 5 6 -10

Djfan
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
There is something to be said for this. Good post.

JAR
10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Winning also includes lucky breaks here and there, the Steelers haven't had any luck at all so far.

Northern_Blitz
10-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I've been banging this drum for a couple weeks now.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18634

Our turnover numbers on both sides of the ball are terrible, and you have to go back 7 games for the last time we finished in the plus (that's almost half a season!).

Ball security needs to be #1 on our priority list IMO.

Djfan
10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
I have been beating the drum of fundamentals. There are a lot of these, ball control, etc., that are lacking.

Northern_Blitz
10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Winning also includes lucky breaks here and there, the Steelers haven't had any luck at all so far.

Personally, I think we got alot of luck in the Houston game. They easily could have had a couple more turnovers and had 2 TDs called back because of stupid penalties. We just couldn't capitalize. I guess it just doesn't seem like luck when you lose.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Actually, if luck includes opponent stupidity, we got plenty against Houston. That block in the back on the block was about as ignorant a play as a player can make. Had that cost them the game it would have been a huge story.

On the other hand, the stupidity of Wallace on that first down catch that cost 15 yards (not typically called but that doesn't make it a wrong call) took a big play into Houston territory away in what was a good opportunity to answer their long drive. We still should have been able to recover but why put yourself in that position?

aggiebones
10-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Yes, turnovers is the simple answer.

But, what is the reason for this problem?

Is it bad luck?
No and it gets back to what everyone is harping about.
We have problems on O and D. Specifically OL and speed on D. The later is more subtle.

Ben is getting hammered. Yes, he normally takes alot of hits in a season, some his own fault. But this is ridiculous. Yes, we've had some injuries on the OL, but did the Front Office also leave us in a bit of a lurch. We have some bad players out there. I've not harped on the OL much over the years. Mild in comparison to some. But some of the guys playing shouldn't be on NFL rosters. Yes, maybe a few projects that failed. But those projects failed a year or two in some cases. We drafted Pouncey, brilliant. Was Gilbert a good pick? We'll see, but it BETTER be.
Frankly, we are in a bit of trouble here and they should hold Ben out and give up this next game just to save Ben and give the OL another week to get well. Yes, this is short term loser talk, but the situation is dire. We have come back late in a season before and gone to the playoffs. One winning the SB from the Sixth Seed.

DEFENSE is as I said a more subtle problem. Some youth is not quite ready for the rigors of a full game. They don't have the full knowledge base yet. But some are closer than others. I would hold out a few players and go youth in this game on purpose. We are going to lose and we need to force feed this youth hard now. I'd start Heywood and Hood together. Rest ASmith and Keisel even if they are ready. Play them as subs of they are ready to play, but force feed this youth. They are the VERY near future. Also, force Lewis in as the starting CB. He's either ready or never will be. He needs a full game film to grow from. If he fails badly, then get rid of him. He has skills, I have seen them. He is settling down from his gaffs last year.
The whole defense is slower right now. I'm not jumping on the ageism bandwagon. But Keisel and ASmith are hampered and Heywood is tentative due to lack of experience. Harrison is hampered and Woodley is overweight. Farrior is in fact old and slower. I thought maybe he had one more in him, but he doesn't. This could kill us all year if the other guys don't pick it up. He can still play as a 10th or 11th guy, plus bring leadership/knowledge, but if he is being counted on to be a playmaker on this team, we are done.
Troy picked it up a bit late, but seems to need a bad play to raise his game.
I think a little health to the aged and experience to the youth could allow us to come back from a 4-4 start and make the playoffs. Better get the rest now for the injured.

feltdizz
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
A lot of luck is a result of hustle and beating your man... our guys aren't beating their men so the other team is falling on the football more than we are.

steelblood
10-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Most turnovers happen when you pressure the QB.

Our opponents have done that, and we have not.

aggiebones
10-04-2011, 11:06 AM
That's a simple answer. Our OL is currently pathetic, so don't say the other team is 'pressuring the QB' like its some great feat or coaching or effort.

And we can't get any pressure because 4 of our front 7 are currently hobbled or decrepit. You can't expect Lebeau to just blitz with slow players.
Harrison can't get there right now, Woodley is out of shape a bit, Keisel and ASmith are hobbled and Farrior is not able to carry his own weight with regard to athleticism.

This team is not done, but it is in the short term. Force youth and heal the older talent a bit. Later in the season a fresh elder group and experienced youth could make us quite stout.

papillon
10-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Luck occurs when preparation meets opportunity. I'm not the preparation piece is in place for this version of the Steelers. The opportunities have been there, but the lack of preparation has resulted in no good fortune or "luck"

Pappy

Dee Dub
10-04-2011, 11:48 AM
To focus on one areas as a reason to why this team is losing, to me, is a case of not getting it. Sorry steeler_fan_in_t.o. No offense. This football team is bad all over. Here are the reasons.

Cant stop the run
Cant get pressure on the QB
Old in some very important positions (Smith, Farrior, Ward, Keisel)
Not very good at other positions (Clark, Kemoeutu, Johnson, Gay)
Cant run block
Cant protect their QB
Poor clock/time out management
An undisciplined team
Poor play calling on both sides of the ball.

Eich
10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Most turnovers happen when you pressure the QB.

Our opponents have done that, and we have not.

BINGO ! We have a winner !!

When there's pressure on the QB, either he makes an early/errant throw resulting in an interception or he coughs it up himself.

We get all the presure on our QB and have rarely given it out to the other QB this year.

JAR
10-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Personally, I think we got alot of luck in the Houston game. They easily could have had a couple more turnovers and had 2 TDs called back because of stupid penalties. We just couldn't capitalize. I guess it just doesn't seem like luck when you lose.

If they were close or questionable calls, I'd call it luck. They were blatant penalties. How don't see how the other team being caught cheating is luck for the Steelers. :)

Northern_Blitz
10-04-2011, 03:36 PM

If they were close or questionable calls, I'd call it luck. They were blatant penalties. How don't see how the other team being caught cheating is luck for the Steelers. :)

I don't think blocking our punter in the back prevented a run back TD.

I don't think that going low on Ben after he had released the ball caused the interception (and I don't think Ben would have made the tackle to save the TD if he wasn't tackled low).

Both plays were the result of bad decisions by Texan players. Although they were legitamately penalties, I think Houston would have scored both times without the penalties (different than a holding penalty that opens a huge hole and results in a score) so we were "lucky" that those points came off the board.